Vegetarian or carnivore?

Suzanne

Jul 26, 2010, 3:45:11 AM7/26/10
to soc-relig...@moderators.isc.org
A Baha'i who was reading The Summons of the Lord of Hosts found this
passage:

"Say: O concourse of priests and monks! Eat ye of that which God hath
made lawful unto you and do not shun meat.
(Baha'u'llah, The Summons of the Lord of Hosts, p. 80)

He took this to mean that we are supposed to eat meat. And yet there
are many passages in books like Lights of Guidance in which 'Abdu'l-
Baha says that vegetarianism is encouraged and that in the future we
won't eat meat. This has always been my understanding.

How do you understand the passage above from Baha'u'llah? Is it
forbidding humanity as a whole from shunning meat, or is there another
meaning?

All best wishes,

Suzanne

Suzanne

Aug 22, 2010, 3:13:55 AM8/22/10
to soc-relig...@moderators.isc.org

Okay. Nobody seems to be responding to this so I will put in my two
cents of my own understanding. I believe that the above is not so
much about an admonition to eat meat as a breaking with past
traditions. Baha'u'llah is specifically talking to priests and monks;
so religious leaders within the Catholic Faith. Catholics have
traditionally not eaten meat on Fridays. He is abrogating that law
and saying that a new day has dawn.

But as to whether we should eat meat or be vegatarians, Shoghi Effendi
said it was better to be a vegetarian is you possibly could be:

"In regard to the question as to whether people ought to kill animals
for food of not, there is no explicit statement in the Bahá'í Sacred
Scriptures (as far as I know) in favor or against it. It is certain,
however, that if man can live on a purely vegetarian diet and thus
avoid killing animals, it would be much preferable. This is, however,
a very controversial question and the Bahá'ís are free to express
their views on it."
(From a letter written on behalf of Shoghi Effendi to an individual
believer, July 9, 1931; Lights of Guidance, p. 296)

All best wishes,

Suzanne

tsuki190

Aug 29, 2010, 4:25:41 PM8/29/10