What is Salvation?

Suzanne

Sep 8, 2010, 2:40:22 AM9/8/10
to soc-relig...@moderators.isc.org
The call to unity thread has turned into a discussion about what is
salvation. As I understand the discussion, one thought is that it
doesn't really exist since we are all eternal. It's just a matter of
drawing near to God. Another point of view is that is exactly what
salvation is. Okay, that's me paraphrasing and shortening a lot.
Please look at what the others said for yourself.

But what is your understanding of salvation? All religions speak of
it. Here's a passage from each on the subject:

"Leave all things behind, and come to Me for thy salvation. I will
make thee free from the bondage of sin. Fear no more."
(Krishna, Bhagavad Gita (18:66)

"The Lord has made known His salvation...all the ends of the earth
have seen the salvation of our Lord."
(Judaism, Psalm 98:2-3)

"Those who for Me shall give heed and obedience to Him, shall attain
integrity and immortality... O wise Lord... Your kingdom of salvation,
let him who prays attain."
Zoroaster, Gathas, Yasna (33:8)

"The long-suffering of our Lord is salvation...for the grace of God
that brings salvation has appeared to all men."
Chrisitanity, (2 Peter 3:15)

"I was born into this as the king of truth for the salvation of the
world."
(Buddha, Digha-Nikaya (1:46)

"To those who believe and work righteousness..for them will be gardens
of eternity."
(Muhammad, Qur'an (18:30-31)

"We, verily, have come for your sakes, and have borne the misfortunes
of the world for your salvation."
(Baha'u'llah: Proclamation of Baha'u'llah, Page: 92)