Sorry, Liberal Media, But You Own Michelle Wolf

1 view

Ubiquitous

May 5, 2018, 4:54:42 PM5/5/18
Michelle Wolf is not the first so-called comic to maliciously insult
conservatives and Republicans at a White House Correspondents'
Association dinner, but she was intentionally mean-spirited, and even
after the blowback, she's unrepentant.

Members of the liberal mainstream media have expressed disapproval over
some of Wolf's comments, saying she went too far. But I'm not buying
it. This is what passes as liberal humor these days. Just watch Jimmy
Kimmel, Bill Maher and Stephen Colbert and tell me their humor is less
malevolent.

But hold on, you say. There's a difference between late-night TV and a
formal dinner pregnant with self-important dignitaries of the
Washington press corps. Perhaps, but the point is there is a receptive
constituency for this kind of bile. The organization had to have known
what to expect from Wolf, and she admits she was just being herself
that night. "If you've seen any of my comedy, you know that I don't —
I'm not (nice)," said Wolf. "I don't pull punches. I'm not afraid to
talk about things."

Revealingly, comedian Tina Fey said, "When you invite a comedian into
that place, where that tone is set, they're going to give it to you
straight, and I think that's pretty much what she did." Whoa! In one
line, Fey defends Wolf's nastiness, confirms that the association
should have known what it was getting with her and fixes her stamp of
approval on Wolf's calling White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee
Sanders a liar.

The unapologetic Wolf, however, denies she was ridiculing Sanders'
looks. But in her indignant denial, she admitted something just as
damning: "I think if you listen to the joke, you'll understand that
it's about the fact that she lies, and if it's taken another way, I
think you should go back and listen to it again."

Oh, OK, Michelle. You are not a bad guy after all. You only vaguely
hinted at Sanders' appearance, but you admittedly called her a liar
outright — right to her face in front of a large crowd present in the
room and an exponentially larger one watching on television. Now that's
virtuous. Bless you, you crusader for truth and all that is good and
decent.

It is shocking that anyone would think her disparaging slander was
funny. But it is not surprising that she would assume that calling
Sanders a liar would be well-received or socially acceptable. This is
the way far too many leftists think these days. How else do you explain
the popularity of their comedians who routinely traffic in this bilge?

Indeed, no one really cares what Wolf thinks. If she had made these
remarks in a smoky nightclub, who would know or care? It's what it says
about the left that makes it newsworthy.

Based on my own interactions with people of this mindset, I think many
of them are so consumed with their contempt for conservatives — and
especially President Donald Trump — they believe that almost anything
goes if it advances the cause of denigrating them.

Their thinking seems to be that conservatives and Trump are so evil
that ordinary rules of decorum can be suspended to speak "truth to
power" — as if they're not themselves powerful and as if they are
speaking truth. (See Tina Fey's comments, above.) It's the same thought
process driving their rationalization that free speech can be denied to
conservatives who express ideas they find repugnant. With every passing
year, leftists gain more recruits to serve alongside them as mini-
ministers of truth. The level of self-deceit they possess that twists
their minds and darkens their sensitivities is alarming, and it's
getting worse.

I assume that many of you will think I am hyperventilating or
exaggerating — blowing this way out of proportion and making
unwarranted generalities.

I understand you believe that, but I've witnessed this growing
hostility on the left for years, which leads even mainstream liberals
to reflexively brand conservatives as racists, sexists and homophobes
simply by virtue of their conservatism. You can't oppose illegal
immigration or criticize Barack Obama on policy without being called a
racist. The smear has worked, which I dare say is why such a
disproportionate percentage of minorities vote Democratic when
Republican policies benefit them more — and why Democrats are losing
their minds over Kanye West's praise of Trump and his assertion that
African-Americans should be free to think for themselves and not be
pressured into identity groupthink.

I could cite examples all day of liberals condemning conservatives as
evil because of their political views and consequently justifying their
mistreatment. Jon Favreau, a former speechwriter for Obama, snidely
defended Wolf's remarks, mocking complaints about her tone and
civility. He was not alone; all kinds of leftist figures defended Wolf,
as you can verify with a quick Google search.

Actor Robert De Niro doubled down on Wolf's invective, not only
defending her but also castigating the White House Correspondents'
Association for distancing itself from her. "Shame on them! Stand up
and strap on your balls and deal," said De Niro. De Niro justified
Wolf's vitriol because Trump and Sanders and company are "liars and
bullies." What did I tell you? Anything goes as long as you're
attacking evil conservatives.

ABC late-night host Jimmy Kimmel, hardly an outlier on the left, took
to Twitter to chide the media for not defending Wolf, who "was FUNNY."

Wolf put the elite leftist media in a box when she so openly attacked a
woman in public while they were conspicuously present, but this is how
far too many of them think, and this is why they invited her to the
event and why they invited the equally offensive Wanda Sykes and
Stephen Colbert in the past. Please spare us the feigned disapproval,
guys. This is what you do.

: David Limbaugh is a writer, author and attorney. His latest book is
: "The True Jesus: Uncovering the Divinity of Christ in the Gospels."