Seeking nonprofit foundation

Russ Meredith

Dec 4, 2005, 12:56:54 AM12/4/05
An associate and I have completed preliminary work on a program which
will enrich the lives of many thousands of handicapped individuals.
This program has been years in the formulation stage and we find we
need to operate under the wing of an established national or
international organization.

We anticipate chapters in every state and other countries as well.

Does anyone know of a list of charitable foundations we may contact.

Russ

athenc...@yahoo.com

Dec 4, 2005, 10:29:25 AM12/4/05
Respected Sir,
Greetings from AMK.
Sub: AMK - kanyakumari – HELP REG;

Our NGO (AMK) has deeply involved in doing many
social service activities in Kanyakumari District for
the past three decades.
A Destitute Home 50 inmates has been running by our
NGO since 1978. Complete Care and Protection of these
children besides rehabilitation training are given to
them by well experienced learned experts.
a De-addiction- Cum - Rehabilitation project is going on successfully
since 1995. Under this programme, we expand our
counseling service to Juvenile children at
Palyamkottai. One of our senior Counselors visit the
children twice in a month. This service has won the
appreciation of the children and the Government
officials.
Moreover we are undertaking the mobile counseling
with the help of All Women Police Station in this
District.
Proper awareness against Drug Abuse and HIV/AIDS
is being given to the College and High School students
residing in girls and boys Hostels of the District.
Our Organization is very interested in doing all
possible help to the child and student community of
our district in collaboration with your foundation.
We request you to be kind enough to send application
form and other details so that our organization would
also join hands with your Foundation in the glorious
service.
Thanking you,

Yours faithfully,

Encl: Annual Report

ATHENCOTTASAN MUTHAMIZH KAZHAGAM (AMK)

Reg.No.85/71 Recognized by Govt.of India and Govt.of Tamil Nadu,
7-46B, Naduvoorkarai-West, Mondaikad, Kanyakumari Dist, Tamilnadu,
South India, Ph:++91-4651 222356, ++91-4651 223382,
Email:athenc...@yahoo.com
Email:amkmon...@india.com

Annual Report
2003-2004.

Highlights
1. About us
- Genesis
- Location
- Aims of Society
- Objective
- Area of Our Activities
- Office – bearers
- Improvement committee
2. AMK Children’s Home
- Photo gallery
3. Drug Abuse prevention schemes
- Drug Awareness Counselling & Assistance centre
- Treatment – cum – Rehabilitation centre
- Methodology of treatment
- Treatment process
- Photo gallery
- Trend of Beneficiaries
- Project organization chart
- Courses attended by the staff
4. Services rendered
- Family counselling / Spouse counselling
- A.A Meeting
- AL-Anon Meeting
- Aids / HIV – awareness programme
- Legal assistance
- Follow up services
5. Future Vision
Genesis
AMK – Athencottasan Muthamil Kazhagam is a voluntary non profitable,
social, secular organization started functioning from the year 1971. It
was registered under the Tamilnadu Societies Registration Act and the
registration number is 85/1971. It is worthwhile to mention that the
foundation of AMK was the result of the dream of, a dis-advantaged
population, especially, the drug abusers under the excellent
stewardship of Pulavar T. Retnaswamy, M.A., B.Ed.
The extreme poverty stricken costel hamlets of Kanyakumari District the
welfare schemes remained unsettled. It is needless to say the children
were the worst affected and sufferers. Their education became
disrupted; their health needs were left unmet by parents. It was in
this crucial juncture the AMK came in to being as a result of the
commitment and philanthropic flair of Pulavar
T. Retnaswamy, M.A., B.Ed.
Description of the Location
AMK is located at Naduvoorkarai, Mondaikad in Kanyakumari District.
Tamilnadu, South India.
The district Kanyakumari is a tiny but thickly populated one with
picturesque natural sceneries a much sought after tourist is in the
southern most tip of India.
This district comprises of four Taluks namely 1) Agasteeswaram, 2)
Thovalai, 3) Kalkulam, 4) Vilavancode, which were originally part of
Travancore by kings under British rule in India. The population of this
district is about 15 Lakhs of which 80% of the people are living in
rural and costal hamlets. Since its inception the growth of this
organization has been steady and dynamic. The activities of the
organization are now spread all over the district of Kanyakumari,
Thirunelveli and Tuticorin having wide range of awareness programmes.
Aims of our society
Since the beginning, our organization has very much committed to the
cause of the care and protection of the orphan, semi orphan and
destitute children. Hence the objectives of the society are being
framed in time with the real problems faced by the community.
Feeling the present necessity of the community and its problems,
necessary additions of objectives have been made from time to time.
Following are the objectives of the society.
Objectives

1. To Open Tuition Homes for School/College going students.
2. To conduct destitute Home
3. To Run hospital to the benefit of the poor people
4. To establish tailoring unit
5. To establish and conduct Duraiswamy Nadar Memorial Music School and
Propagate Karnatic Music at Rajakkamangalam.
6. To establish and conduct Nursing Course
7. To impact training in “Brush Making” to the Destitute with the
help of UNICFE.
8. To start “training school” to the benefit of the destitute.
9. To take up cattle farming, with the aim of the development of this
institution and society at large.
10. To have a day-care of old age home with the aid and guidance
through the department.
11. To implement the Rural Development Programmes such as small savings
in the newly organized Mahalir Mantams, Low cost Sanitation, Community
development schemes and evening tuition facilities to the children of
SC colonies.
12. To have “Drug Awareness counseling and Assistance Centre”,
‘Awareness and Preventive Education’ and ‘addiction – Cum –
Rehabilitation’ for alcoholics with aid and guidance through the
department.
13. To get ‘office Maintenance Grant’ from the social Welfare
Department with aid and guidance through the Department.
14. To have additional unit of Drug Awareness Counselling and
Assistance Centre for the Taluks of Agasteeswaram and Thovalai in the
Kanyakumari District with the aid and guidance of the department.
15. To implement the scheme of Adoption of children.
16. To have a social marketing of contraceptives scheme with the aid
and
Guidance through the Department.
17. To Start AIDS prevention scheme.
18. To start Dairy farm with the aim of the Development of this
institution and society at large.
19. To start Brush making unit.
20. To take up Transplantation of trees.
21. To start Book binding scheme.
22. To start paper cover making Scheme.
23. To start file making scheme.
24. To start computer course with Aid and guidance through the
department.
25. To start community development schemes to economically down –
trodden people.
26. To start small saving in the newly organized Mahalir Mantams.
27. To start low cost sanitation through Mahalir Mantams.
28. To constitute a sub-committee under the Chairmanship of founder
President along with Secretary and Project Director as advisers to
administer the Children’s Home and Drug Awareness counselling centre
and Treatment – Cum – Rehabilitation Centre.
29. To raise loans from Banks, Lending institutions, Rashtriya Mahila
Kosh, scheduled caste and scheduled Tribe Banking.
30. It is resolved to run a Mobile dispensary, Dispensary with 10 beds,
a Residential hostel, Control of blindness, a Computer training centre
and Prawn culture Training for the benefit of the Adi Dravida.

Athencottasan Muthamil Kazhagam (AMK)
Reg. No. : ‘85/71’
7-46B, Naduvoorkarai, Mondaikad – 629 252
Kanyakumari District, Tamilnadu, South India.

Our Work Spread

Above Figure Shows the Area of Our Activities

Athencottasan Muthamil Kazhagam (AMK)
Reg. No. : ‘85/71’
7-46B, Naduvoorkarai, Mondaikad – 629 252
Kanyakumari District, Tamilnadu, South India.

Latest list of office – bearers (WEF: 20-12-2003)

Sl. No Name and Address Occupation Designation
1 Thiru. Dr. J. Alexon Devasahayam,
MBBS, DPM, MD.,
Hospital, Near Milk Society, Nagercoil. Health Service Honorary
president
2 Thiru. R.J.K. Thilak, B.Sc., LLB,
Paruthivilai, Mondaikad post. Land lord Honorary
president
3 Mr. E. Padmanabhan Nadar,
F/o. Dr. Senthilkumar, M.S.,
Kalimar, Colachel & Post. Social worker Honorary
president
4 Pulavar T. Ratnaswamy, M.A., B.Ed.,
Naduvoorkarai, Mondaikad post Social worker President
5 Mrs. S. Reetamary,
Konamcadu & post. Social worker General
Secretary
6 R. Arul Kannan, B.P.T.,
Naduvoorkarai, Mondaikad post. Social worker Vice
President
7 C. Thankaswamy,
Karumankoodal, Mondaikad post. Social worker Vice
President
8 Arul Jothi, B.P.T.,
Naduvoorkarai, Mondaikad post. Social worker Vice
President
9 S. Sivalingam, M.A., M.A.,
Karumankoodal, Mondaikad post. Teacher Joint
Secretary
10 S. Ravikumar, B.SC.,
Sukkupparai, Therivilai,
Agasteeswaram post. Social worker Joint
Secretary

Athencottasan Muthamil Kazhagam (AMK)
Reg. No. : ‘85/71’
7-46B, Naduvoorkarai, Mondaikad – 629 252
Kanyakumari District, Tamilnadu, South India.

Unit: Treatment – cum – Rehabilitation centre.
Local improvement committee

Sl. No Name and Address Occupation Designation
1 Pulavar T. Ratnaswamy, M.A., B.Ed.,
Naduvoorkarai, Mondaikad post Teacher (Rtd.) President
2 Mrs. S. Reetamary,
Konamcadu & post. Social worker General Secretary
3 Thiru. R.J.K. Thilak, B.Sc., LLB,
Paruthivilai, Mondaikad post. Land lord Honorary president
4 Mr. S. Narayanan, M.Sc., M.Ed.,
Nagercoil. Social worker Project Director
Destitute Home for the children
Destitute Home for the children was started in the year 1979. where in
admitted the orphan, semi orphan and destitute children belonging to
Tamilnadu. At present there are 50 children on the roll. They are given
free boarding, lodging and clothing besides sending them to schools and
meeting their health needs. They are being brought up in such a manner
that moulding good character and morality and helping them to become
responsible citizen of our nation and useful members of the community
and fittest person of the challenging environment.
Apart from the academic education they are also given vocational
training like Type writing, tailoring, brush making, driving, Nursing,
ITI etc. enabling them to seek employment or to start self employment
of their own.
Our organization is proud to say many incidents, where meritious
students, secured high percentage of marks in their SSLC and Higher
Secondary examinations and with our financial assistance continued
their further studies in different professions and became Engineers,
Pastors, Nurses, Drivers, Masons, Brilliant tailors etc. Now they are
leading sound and successful life in the society.
Drug Abuse prevention schemes
i) Drug Awareness, counselling Assistance centre.
This programme was started in the year 1995. This year was the Silver
Lining in the history of our organization because of the fact it
celebrated its successful completion of 25 years of glorious service to
the weaker section of the society. Properly trained and experienced
staff members were working in this field. There are five staff members
of which two counsellors who are well trained and played a vital role
in this unit.
A total of 1027 alcoholic patients had availed the free treatment
service along with effective counselling programme which include family
and individual counseling till the end of March 1999.
Treatment-cum-Rehabilitation centre
To cater the needs of the inflow of more and more clients Treatment cum
Rehabilitation centre was also started functioning along with Drug
Awareness counselling centre since the year 1999, on the guide lines
propounded by The Government of India under the Department of Social
Justice and Empowerment.
Staff Profile
There is one Project Director, heading the project under the direction
of the president. Besides there are 12 staff members working in the
project including three counsellors, one medical officer and a yoga
therapist.
The centre is proud of its achievement that since the inception of the
project in 1999, the total number of alcoholics treated as inpatient
has come upto 682 till date. The numbers of out patients benefitted are
2991 in number.

Our centre is offering effective and standard treatment to its
beneficiaries to regain their physical and mental health besides
helping them to restore their peaceful family life and vocational
rehabilitation.
Methodology of Treatment
The drug abusers need1) medical and 2) psychological treatment to give
up alcohol totally and lead a drug free, quality life.
I. Medical treatment
This part of treatment is otherwise known as Detoxification that
continues for a maximum of 7 days
This treatment aims at 1) helping the patient to overcome withdrawal
symptoms such as fits, tremors, high blood pressure, sleeplessness etc.
which may occur on stoppage of drinking.
2) Treating associated physical problems like gastritis, neuritis and
other physical damages caused by drug abuse.
3) Helping the patient to get back to normal sleeping and eating
pattern.
II. Psychological Treatment
This therapy programme starts immediately after detoxification therapy
is over. It includes workouts prayer, lectures, assignments, group
therapy, relaxation therapy and individual counselling, family
counselling etc.
Group therapy
We offer group therapy to the client’s everyday. This therapy enables
the counsellors to understand their problems and handle various issues.
It continues for about an hour.

Individual counseling
This session lasts for 45 minutes. Each client has availed. Each client
has availed 8 or 9 counselling sessions during his stay at the centre.
The counsellor sees the patient and his family both separately and
together.
Individual counselling aims at helping the patient understand that
total abstinence should be the goal
 Making the client to realize the physical and mental damages caused
by alcoholism.
 helping him to share his feelings of anger, fear loneliness and
shame with others.
 Making him to understand the need for follow up.
 making him to attend the A.A. meeting, which is held on every
Sunday at Thingalnagar
Counselling process
There are six stages in the counselling process
They are
1. Developing a therapeutic relationship with the client.
2. Exploring the problem areas.
3. Goal setting clients are made to say generalized statements like –
“I am going to be drug free and everything will be all right”.
4. Maintaining change in their behavior.
5. Termination: Over a period of time, the counsellor may not be needed
for the client. The social net work gets strengthened and he will be
integrated into the society.
6. Ending treatment.

Athencottasan Muthamil Kazhagam (AMK)
Reg. No. : ‘85/71’
7-46B, Naduvoorkarai, Mondaikad – 629 252
Kanyakumari District, Tamilnadu, South India.

Particulars of Training Courses attended by the Staff Members

Sl. No Name & Designation Nature of training Period of
training Institution where Training Received
1. Mr. T. Ratnaswamy, M.A; B.Ed.,
Administrative President Workshop of youth workers from NGO’s on AIDS
of Community Health. 1st to 5th Sept. 1994 VISHWA YUVAK KENDRA.
Chanakyapuri,
New Delhi.
2. Mr. P.V. Ragaven, M.S;
Senior Counsellor
Mr. S. Narayanan, M.A; M.Ed.,
Project Director “Counselling for Addiction
Individual, family and group” 26-06-2000 to
30-06-2000 TTK Hospital, Chennai.
3. Mr. P. Ragaven, M.A;
Senior Counsellor
Mr. S. Narayanan, M.A; M.Ed.,
Project Director National House hold survey of Drug and Alcohol abuse
(RAS) and Drug Abuse monitoring system (DAMS) 26-07-2000 SAHAI –
Trust, Chennai.
4. Mr. P. Ragaven, M.A;
Senior Counsellor
Mr. S. Narayanan, M.A; M.Ed.,
Project Director “Documentation for Addiction Management” and
“Quality Minimum Standards of care” in the field of substance
Abuse 25-09-2000 to
29-09-2000

29-09-2000 TTK Hospital, Chennai.

TTK Hospital,
Chennai.
5. Mr. S. Narayanan, M.A; M.Ed.,
Project Director All India NGO’s Conference 26,27,28,
1-2001 TTK Hospital, Chennai.

6. Mr. T. Ratnaswamy, M.A; B.Ed.,
Administrative President All India NGO’s Conference 3rd to 5th
January 2003 FADAA-KOLKOTTA
West – Bengal
7. Mr. T. Ratnaswamy, M.A; B.Ed.,
Administrative President All India NGO’s Conference 3rd to 5th March
2003 RICA – Velloor
8. Ms. R. Suseela
Nurse “Substance Abuse & HIV/AIDS” 31st Mar. to 4th April 2003. TTK
Hospital,
Chennai.
9. S. Shanthi, M.A
Counsellor Structuring the programme and making the programme
attractive. 3rd to 7th November 2003 TTK Hospital,
Chennai.
10 Mr. S. Narayanan, M.Sc., M.Ed.
Project Director Computerized submission of six monthly progress
reports through internet 8th & 9th June 2004 TTK Hospital,
Chennai.

Services Rendered:
1. Family Counselling / Spouse Counselling:
Spouse counselling is very important to understand the various problems
of the clients and handle the issues successfully.
In our centre spouse counselling is conducted twice in a week. The
wives or the support persons are given advice as to how they should
behave with their husbands for their permanent sobriety and avoid
relapse after the treatment is over.
A. A Meeting:
On every Sunday, a meeting of the Alcoholic Anonymous, who has
successfully completed their treatment for addiction in our centre, is
held at Thingal Nagar. The ex-addicts assemble there and share their
experiences and discuss about the various ways for keeping sobriety.
Al-anon Meeting:
This is the meeting of the spouses of the recovered alcoholics.
Arrangements have been made at Thingal Nagar for the alanon meeting.
The participants gain confidence and also learn new methods and
strategies to cope with uncomfortable situations and tackle many family
problems smoothly.
Aids/HIV- Awareness Programme:-
‘AIDS’ has become a global problem and WHO and the UNO has taken
all possible measures to eradicate HIV infection by giving awareness
among the people residing both in rural and urban areas.
Our counsellors and social workers are deployed in the holy task of
giving awareness against the dreadful disease, namely AIDS.
The drug patients who are admitted as IP in our De-addiction centre are
given proper awareness and counselling. The blood smear of the addict
patients have been collected and sent to the medical college Hospital,
Nagercoil for HIV Test. So far 160 blood smears are tested and we are
keeping HIV Test register in our centre.
Mahalir Thittam
Our organization provides guidance and relief to women in social and
economic problems.
Legal assistance:
We are giving legal assistance to the poor and illiterate people who
are coming to our centre and also the needy people free of cost. This
service is being done with the help of learned and experienced
advocates. Many people have been benefited under the scheme.
AMK Hospital
We give awareness in general health and give free medical treatment
(except labour and surgery) to economically weaker sections of society.
Follow up Services:-
Follow up Services play very important role in keeping abstinence on
the recovered addicts.
The staff members of our organization are committed themselves in
creating awareness against alcoholism in the rural and urban masses
through printed leaflets and dissemination of knowledge and upto date
information in the evils of alcoholism.
The following are the follow-up services offered to help the patients
in their recovery process.
i. Disulfiram:-
In our centre the patients are advised to take Esperal instead of
Disulfiram. The patients should take one tablet daily for a minimum
period of one year. If he crosses the first year without taking
alcohol, it paves the way for his future sobriety.
ii. House visit:-
Our counsellors or social workers visit the patients in their houses at
intervals and enquire about their health condition etc. and give health
boosting tablets and Esperal.
iii. Telephone Call and Letter writing:-
We are maintaining separate registers for Telephone calls and letter
writing in the centre.
If the patients fail to write letters and do not contact the counsellor
by telephone, we contact them either by writing letters or by phone.
These things serve as a further support in their recovery process.
Future Vision:-
1. Proposed additional 15 beds with the present 15 bedded treatment.
2. A separate 15 bedded treatment centre in the adjoining Tirunelveli
Dist.,
3. Proposed to conduct 10 treatment camps in Kanyakumari District. So
as to enable the addicted patients of the remote villages could come
for the treatment.
4. Mobile dispensary for the SC people
5. 10 bedded general treatment unit for the SC people.
6. Control of blindness for the SC people.
7. AIDS awareness and counselling programme.
8. Providing accommodation facilities for 100 destitute children.
9. Setting up of vocational Training centers.
10. Setting up a Home for the aged.
11. Setting up a legal advising centre for the benefit of the poor
people.

era....@gmail.com

Oct 9, 2018, 10:15:16 PM10/9/18
United Global Public Inc.
establishing right human relations; raising awareness about global/local challenges through the medium of arts; capacity building model; community building;

sustainable development plan and 17 goals (Agenda 2030); building partnerships - vertical and horizontal integration (Think global. Act Local)

Outhouse Fiesta on Aroma Drive

Mar 16, 2019, 12:35:08 PM3/16/19
Keep your bleeding heart crap at home. Work in your own neighborhood. Don't tell people in other parts of the country/world how to deal with their own issues.

"Global" anything is a waste of time, creates conflicts and usually has some kind of scam associated it with it.

Spend your time locally.