Nonprofit wants to accept MC and VISA

Daniel L. Brandt

May 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/15/96

Public Information Research, Inc., a 501(c)(3) organization for
seven years that sells a database on disks via mail order and
will soon sell accounts on the Internet, is seeking an ISO
(Independent Sales Organization) so that we can accept Visa and
Mastercard payments. Our bank, the Bank of America, is similar
to other banks in that they require a site visit to a storefront
before they take a chance on small mail-order outfits. We have
no office and zero employees. Banks won't give nonprofits like us
the time of day -- perhaps because nonprofits remind them that most
banks are leeches.

Most ISOs aren't any better, and charge outrageous fees. We are
willing to pay $350 or so for IC Verify software, and a discount
rate of over 2 percent, and a transaction fee of 20 cents, but are
not willing to pay those insane equipment rental fees, nor an
application fee, installation fee, statement fee, minimum monthly
account billing fee, chargeback fees, voice authorization fees,
bank setup fee, or daily close-out fee. Our volume would be low,
typically only a few transactions per month. Mostly we need to
accept Visa and MC because other methods of payment from foreign
countries are extremely inconvenient on both ends of the
transaction.

Isn't there such a thing as an ISO that cuts some slack for
nonprofits, when the nonprofit sells a product as part of their
"exempt function and purpose"?

-- Daniel Brandt, president

Public Information Research, Inc., PO Box 680635, San Antonio TX 78268
Tel:210-509-3160 Fax:210-509-3161 Nonprofit publisher of NameBase
in...@pir.org www.pir.org telnet pir.org

Buffalo Architecure Preserve Historic Preservation

May 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/18/96

In article <4ndggt$3...@crl8.crl.com>, Daniel L. Brandt <dbr...@crl.com> wrote:

>Public Information Research, Inc., a 501(c)(3) organization for
>seven years that sells a database on disks via mail order and
>will soon sell accounts on the Internet, is seeking an ISO
>(Independent Sales Organization) so that we can accept Visa and
>Mastercard payments. Our bank, the Bank of America, is similar
>to other banks in that they require a site visit to a storefront
>before they take a chance on small mail-order outfits. We have
>no office and zero employees. Banks won't give nonprofits like us
>the time of day -- perhaps because nonprofits remind them that most
>banks are leeches.

What about changing banks? It took us a while but we found a bank in our
area (KeyBank) that would allow us to accept charges.

Scott Field
Preservation Coalition
Sco...@aol.com