ADMINISTRIVIA: s.o.f. group status

Alan Schwartz

Mar 19, 2012, 12:37:35 AM3/19/12
Dear s.o.f. readers,

After more than a decade of moderating s.o.f, the current moderation team
(Alan, Jack, and Greg) are all planning to call it quits. s.o.f. is a
low-traffic group, and much of the internet discussion of Freemasonry
is taking place in other fora. There are several options with respect
to the group, and we hope that those of you who still read and post will
chime in with your preferences.

1. s.o.f. can remain a moderated USENET newsgroup, with new moderators.
The new moderators ought to be familiar with the technical aspects
of USENET moderation. s.o.f's current moderation software, which
is hosted on one of my servers, will be turned off, but the configuration
can be transitioned to a new moderator's server if desired (or moderators
can moderate manually, which is not unreasonable for a low-traffic group).

2. The moderators can ask the Big 8 Management Board to convert s.o.f
into an unmoderated group (like alt.freemasonry, but in the soc.
hierarchy).

3. We can simply stop moderating. The group will go silent. Eventually,
if someone cares enough to notify the Big 8 Management Board, they
may initiate a Moderator Vacancy Investigation, which may eventually
lead to formal removal of the group if no one steps up to take over
moderation.

If you have an opinion on the above, please reply and state it. If you
are interested in taking over moderation responsibility for the group,
step up and let people know (along with any qualifications, Masonic
or technical, that you think are relevant). If you think the group
should go away and people should talk elsewhere and you want to invite
people to do so, that's good too.

It's now March 18, 2012, and we'll be following this thread until at
least April 17, 2012, after which time, we hope to take action, such
as announcing new moderator(s), asking group members to select new
moderator(s) from a list of candidates, or letting you know that we've
contacted B8MB to unmoderate the group. If there are no replies to this
posting during that period, we will likely announce and pursue option 3.

Sincerely and Fraternally,

Alan Schwartz (for the s.o.f. moderators)

Alan Schwartz

Mar 19, 2012, 12:52:29 AM3/19/12

Forgot to add: According to sof's charter (copy at
http://mail.cybermango.org/~sof/charter.txt), moderators must be Masons
in good standing.

- Alan

Doug Freyburger

Mar 19, 2012, 6:08:22 PM3/19/12
Alan Schwartz wrote:

> After more than a decade of moderating s.o.f, the current moderation team
> (Alan, Jack, and Greg) are all planning to call it quits. s.o.f. is a
> low-traffic group, and much of the internet discussion of Freemasonry
> is taking place in other fora. There are several options with respect
> to the group, and we hope that those of you who still read and post will
> chime in with your preferences.

Thank you for your service.

> 1. s.o.f. can remain a moderated USENET newsgroup, with new moderators.
> The new moderators ought to be familiar with the technical aspects
> of USENET moderation. s.o.f's current moderation software, which
> is hosted on one of my servers, will be turned off, but the configuration
> can be transitioned to a new moderator's server if desired (or moderators
> can moderate manually, which is not unreasonable for a low-traffic group).

If a free server can be provided I am willing to be on the moderation
team. I already pay for commercial service for moderation of one group
and that's it for paid.

UseNet qualifications - Moderation team for news.groups.proposals,
soc.religion.asatru, news.admin.moderation. Last moderator or record
for now defunct soc.religion.shamanism. A member of the newgroup
mentors team.

Masonic qualifications - Life member and PM in 2 US jurisdictions.
PM 1999 Pasadena 272 California F&AM
PM 2007-8 Arlington Heights 1162 Illinois AF&AM We just consolidated so
now it's Monitor-Lounsbury 522

> 2. The moderators can ask the Big 8 Management Board to convert s.o.f
> into an unmoderated group (like alt.freemasonry, but in the soc.
> hierarchy).

Not feasible for technical reasons. On UseNet every server that carries
newsgroups has its own configuration file. When a group is accepted on
each server it starts out as unmoderated, moderated or local. If any
two servers disagree on which setting they can not exchange articles for
that group. There is no way to see to it that all servers agree at any
time other than creation time.

> 3. We can simply stop moderating. The group will go silent. Eventually,
> if someone cares enough to notify the Big 8 Management Board, they
> may initiate a Moderator Vacancy Investigation, which may eventually
> lead to formal removal of the group if no one steps up to take over
> moderation.

The closest option to setting the group unmoderated is to get a free
server to accept the traffic and use a robot moderator that accepts all
messages. The only processing that would happen would be spam filtering
up front. Were I to set up the robot i'd also set it to reject any
message that is cross posted. The problem is the group would soon
descend to alt.freemasonry status.

> If you have an opinion on the above, please reply and state it. If you
> are interested in taking over moderation responsibility for the group,
> step up and let people know (along with any qualifications, Masonic
> or technical, that you think are relevant). If you think the group
> should go away and people should talk elsewhere and you want to invite
> people to do so, that's good too.

While I am happy to serve as a replacement moderator I am not driven to
do so. I don't offer the free server that would be needed. I know free
servers are available.

Mudge

Mar 19, 2012, 10:00:06 PM3/19/12
On 2012-03-18 16:37:35 -0600, Alan Schwartz said:

> Dear s.o.f. readers,
>
> After more than a decade of moderating s.o.f, the current moderation team
> (Alan, Jack, and Greg) are all planning to call it quits. s.o.f. is a
> low-traffic group, and much of the internet discussion of Freemasonry
> is taking place in other fora. There are several options with respect
> to the group, and we hope that those of you who still read and post will
> chime in with your preferences.

Thank you for your service - you will be missed by many (including me)
who will have no truck with The Twits or Face crowds now or ever.
Whatever you decide will be fine with most of us I suspect !

--
BES (in Calgary)
Fix the biosphere - eliminate people

Rich...@hotmail.com

Mar 20, 2012, 10:17:21 AM3/20/12
I agree with the sentiments. I have followed s.o.f for quite a while,
posting on very occasionally. I subscribe to two lists
UK-MASONS http://www.ukmason.org.uk/faq.htm

and the ANZMRC list (see www.anzmrc.org )

I gather there are other interesting emal lists - can we guide members
to alternative passive reading?

Cheers, and thanks for the work that has been done.

john watson

Mar 20, 2012, 5:55:26 PM3/20/12
I hope that somebody comes up as a moderator. I know there are not many
postings here, but when we do have a thread it is on topic and
informative. If it went down the road of Alt freemasonry, I would be out
of here like a dose of salts. Good luck with the search.

(little bet with self that Mudge will post on this thread)

Tom Accuosti

Apr 11, 2012, 11:09:23 PM4/11/12
On 03/19/2012 12:37 AM, Alan Schwartz wrote:
> Dear s.o.f. readers,
>
> After more than a decade of moderating s.o.f, the current moderation team
> (Alan, Jack, and Greg) are all planning to call it quits. s.o.f. is a
> low-traffic group, and much of the internet discussion of Freemasonry
> is taking place in other fora. There are several options with respect
> to the group, and we hope that those of you who still read and post will
> chime in with your preferences.

Wow, I take a little time off, and the whole place goes to pot.

Seriously, Alan, I'm pleasantly surprised to have seen SOF running this
long. For the last several years, more and more Masonic discussion
traffic has moved to Facebook.

Just a few weeks ago, I started cleaning up my blogroll, and I deleted
about 80 blogs that had been deleted, or the authors hadn't posted in
over a year. And that doesn't count the close to 200 blogs that I've
deleted over the last 5 years.

Sadly, I also deleted almost all of the links to online discussion
groups because they also were either down or had no activity. Online web
forums pretty much replaced the Usenet groups that many of us grew up
with in the 90s.

It's not that Masons aren't talking. There are more Freemasonry Facebook
groups than you can count, and there are literally thousands of Masons
on Twitter, not to mention the various lodge accounts that post notices
of events. And more recently, Google+ has been attracting Freemasons who
are tired of Facebook. Go figure.

Alan, thank you for the time and effort that you and the others put into
this. I remember stumbling across this group (and alt.freemasonry) a
dozen or so years ago, and the discussions here led to my deciding to
petition the local lodge. The discussions also added considerably to my
Masonic knowledge, especially in the practices and customs in other
states and parts of the UK.

I know it sounds like I'm assuming that SOF will close, but considering
the state of alt.freemasonry, I don't see it remaining anything like
it's been.

My fraternal regards to you, Jack, Greg, and the dozens of great guys
(and a few women) that I've met over the years.

--
Tom Accuosti
http://masonictao.com

Exalted Keeper of the Secrets of Freemasonariansim
Grand Sovereign Pontiff and Secret Enquisitor
Ambassador to Zeta-Reticula

P.M., Friendship #33.3 AM&FM
Area 51, Atlantis

Torence

Apr 20, 2012, 9:56:56 AM4/20/12
It has been awhile since I have used the newsgroup. Over the years we have had quite a few lively discussions that actually facilitated positive change in mainstream Masonry for the jurisdictions of Illinois, West Virginia, Ohio, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Virginia, etc.; and, I will join Doug Freyberger to volunteer as a moderator. However,be warned, I am usually the one participant more than any who should be monitored.

Here's a new post that might refresh your interest:

FYI: After so many badly handled incidences regarding discipline, i.e. Illinois in 1993 & 2003, West Virginia in 2006, Virginia, Georgia, Ohio, New York and most recently Arizona etc. the thought is out there to discard "that old book of misdemeanors," the Constitution and By-Laws, all together and at last remove the function of discipline from the decayed incompetents who manage to gain high office just to then disparage their Brothers.

Any thoughts?

Torence Evans Ake
Secretary - Auburn Park Lodge No. 789 - Crete, Illinois
MIGS - Triluminar Lodge No. 767 - Lansing, Illinois
MIGS - Illinois Lodge of Research
PM - Arcadia Lodge No. 1138 - Lansing, Illinois

Jim B.

May 21, 2012, 8:24:02 AM5/21/12
"Alan Schwartz" <ala...@tala.mede.uic.edu> wrote in message
> After more than a decade of moderating s.o.f, the current moderation team
> (Alan, Jack, and Greg) are all planning to call it quits. s.o.f. is a
> low-traffic group, and much of the internet discussion of Freemasonry
> is taking place in other fora. There are several options with respect
> to the group, and we hope that those of you who still read and post will
> chime in with your preferences.

Hi, Alan. I keep trying to post but it appears there's an interface problem.

As a member of the SOF Arbitration Team, I'd like to thank you guys for
picking up when the original moderators felt the need to retire some years
ago.

I wonder if the newsgroup has outlived its usefulness, given that Usenet is,
more or less, dead.

All the best.

Jim, PM No. 44, Vancouver

Paul W. Schleck

Jan 3, 2015, 1:39:19 PM1/3/15
MODERATOR VACANCY INVESTIGATION (MVI)
moderated group soc.org.freemasonry

This is a formal Moderator Vacancy Investigation (MVI), begun because
moderated newsgroup soc.org.freemasonry is not functioning, and may
have been abandoned by its moderator(s).

This investigation will attempt to verify the reasons for non-function,
and may result in the removal of the group or the selection and
installation of a new moderator. In practice, the Big-8 Management
Board considers the third alternative -- changing the status of the
group from moderated to unmoderated -- as likely to cause more harm than
good.

NEWSGROUPS LINE:
soc.org.freemasonry Discussion group for the Fraternity "Freemasonry". (Moderated)

RATIONALE:
Probe posts to this group result in bounces:

<soc-org-f...@moderators.isc.org>: host
moderators.individual.net[130.133.4.7] said: 550-Callout verification
failed: 550-550 5.1.1 <s...@mail.cybermango.org>: Recipient address
rejected: 550 User unknown in local recipient table (in reply to RCPT TO
command)

The last article approved by the moderators, with Message ID
<004f195b-0f15-4c81...@googlegroups.com>, appeared in
December of 2012, over two years ago.

One of the last articles posted to the newsgroup, in March of 2012, was
from moderator Alan Schwartz, with Message ID
<lsSdnZX80NVkNPvS...@supernews.com>, announcing that the
members of the moderation team were planning to quit moderating the
newsgroup. Volunteers were solicited to take over the moderation of the
newsgroup. The possibility of a Moderator Vacancy Investigation was
also mentioned.

DISTRIBUTION:
news.announce.newgroups
news.groups.proposals
soc.org.freemasonry

CHARTER:

The purpose of this newsgroup is to provide a world wide Usenet forum
for the discussion of Freemasonry, the oldest fraternity in the world
with a membership of over five million world-wide which derive their
charters from Grand Lodges on their continent.

The newsgroup is not a vehicle for official pronouncements for any
Masonic body, but a means to facilitate the interaction and promote
the brotherhood of members of Masonic bodies.

The newsgroup is meant to supplement, not replace, any already
existing Internet or Usenet or newsgroup system devoted to members of
Freemasonry.

The purpose of the panel of arbitrators is to supervise the panel of
moderators and facilitate any concerns the readers may have with the
moderation.

The purpose of the panel of moderators is to supervise and manage the
Usenet newsgroup for Freemasonry, in order to provide a reasonable
and responsible forum for discussion about and news for freemasonry.

The following are the editorial policies:

General Usenet "netiquette" guidelines as posted in
news.announce.newusers and news.answers shall apply to this news
group. In particular, participants are asked to show courtesy and
respect for other participants, and to avoid the use of offensive
language, excessive quoting, or long (defined as "over four lines")
signature blocks. Participants are encouraged to use descriptive
subjects. Examples are "New York Metro area:I seek sponsorship into a
lodge," rather than "Help me join;" "Royal Arch Questions on
Traditional Bible Passages," rather than "Royal Arch questions;"
"Should felons be allowed to join," rather than "a question on Masonic
qualifications."

The following posts are strictly prohibited in this newsgroup:

+ Posts consisting of copyrighted materials, except portions used
under fair quote provisions of copyright law
+ Excessively long posts (over 25kB.)
+ Messages cross posted to other newsgroups.
+ Material unrelated to Speculative Masonry (off topic).
+ Make money fast or other chain or fraudulent schemes or
anything else defined as an illegal communication by majority of
the governments where Usenet carries this news group.
+ Work at home or other off-topic scams.
+ Commercial advertisements, infomercials, or announcements with
the exception of one-line pointers to off-newsgroup cyberspace of
interest to Freemasons.
+ Binaries or other encoded/encrypted material.
+ Posts in a language the moderators cannot read. For the most
part posts should be limited to English, however posts containing
a language other than English with English translation are the
exception to this rule.
+ Forged posts (anonymous posts allowed.)
+ Personal insults or written attacks on specific Masons or
Masons in general.
+ Personal insults or written attacks upon anyone and/or any
organization.

Responsible criticisms are welcome. E.g., "all you masons are a bunch
of lying, devil-worshipping fools." is not allowed. "According to
book (title, author, publication year) your ritual is identical to the
ritual of organized satanist's (particularly :x,y,z). Since I find
this book to be credible I believe your fraternity to be
misrepresenting itself," is allowed.

The following posts are allowed, but not encouraged.

+ "Classified" style ads with descriptive subject.
Examples are "WTB:Masonic memorabilia related to the freeing of
debt of the NYGL building in Manhattan," or "FS:second-hand books
on masonry," or "WTB:tobacco pipe with Masonic design."

+ Moderators will use their discretion concerning posts that may
contain Masonic secrets. Posts purporting to reveal Masonic
secrets will be rejected outright, regardless of whether or not
the fact of revelation of secrets be explicit or implied.

ARBITRATION/MODERATION POLICIES

Arbitration Structure/Procedures:

1) There will be a panel of three arbitrators to provide checks
against the moderators.
2) Arbitrators may not serve as moderators.
3) In the event between a dispute of moderators, or in the event of
moderators being accused of censorship by participants, a single
arbitrator will collect all sides of the event and present it to
the other two arbitrators. A simple majority vote will decide
the issue. If an arbitrator's panel vote comes out against a
moderator's actions, the arbitrators panel will remedy a
participant's complaint by requiring the posting of the original
article, however, this will not be construed as restricting the
arbitrator's panel from pursuing other remedies as it sees fit.
4) Quorum shall be the entirety of the panel of arbitrators.
Physical presence will not be required to vote, electronic
delivery of vote is acceptable for all purposes.
5) An arbitrator may be impeached and removed by moderators.
In order to do this the moderators will need to establish a
2/3 quorum and a 2/3 majority vote.
6) To qualify to be an arbitrator, a person must be a Mason in good
standing with his lodge which is defined as a lodge of Free and
Accepted Masons or a lodge of Ancient Free and Accepted Masons
which is chartered under the provisions of a grand body of masons
considered to have regular jurisdiction in the volunteer's
geographical location.

Moderation Structure/Procedures:

1) There will always be a minimum of two moderators in case illness
or absence of one moderator.
2) Prior to becoming a moderator, the moderator agrees to abide by
the rulings of the arbitrators' panel.
3) To qualify to be a moderator, a person must be a Mason in good
standing with his lodge which is defined as a lodge of Free and
Accepted Masons or a lodge of Ancient Free and Accepted Masons
which is chartered under the provisions of a grand body of masons
considered to have regular jurisdiction in the volunteer's
geographical location.
4) The arbitrators' panel reserves the right to verify this with the
lodge secretary of the volunteer by means of telephone, snail
mail, fax, or computerized message.
5) Moderators may not serve as Arbitrators.
6) Moderators may ban a participant if a participant attempts to
violate editorial policy three or more times. In order to do this
the moderators need to establish a simple majority quorum with a
simple majority vote.
7) A moderator may be impeached and removed by the arbitrators. The
arbitrators need to show cause, establish a unanimous quorum with
a simple majority vote to do this. In events of legal charge a
single arbitrator may suspend a moderator for a period not
exceeding one month in order to facilitate a investigation.

Amendments:

Any part of this charter may be amended or the charter may be added to
by a 2/3 quorum with a 2/3 majority vote of all officers which is
defined as the arbitrators and moderators.

END CHARTER.

HISTORY OF THE GROUP:

moderated group soc.org.freemasonry passes 171:56

There were 171 YES votes and 56 NO votes, for a total of 227 valid
votes. There were 5 abstains and 5 invalid ballots.

For group passage, YES votes must be at least 2/3 of all valid (YES
and NO) votes. There also must be at least 100 more YES votes than NO
votes.

Voting ended at 23:59:59 UTC, 20 Jun 1997.

This vote was conducted by a neutral third party.

The group was created shortly afterwards, and continued activity until
December of 2012, after which no further approved articles appeared.

PROPONENT: Paul W. Schleck <psch...@novia.net>

PROCEDURE:

Those who wish to comment on this moderator vacancy investigation should
subscribe to news.groups.proposals and participate in the relevant
threads in that newsgroup. To this end, the followup header of this MVI
has been set to news.groups.proposals.

For more information on the MVI process, please see
http://www.big-8.org/articles/m/o/d/Moderator_Vacancy_Investigations.html

CHANGE HISTORY:

3 January 2015: Moderator Vacancy Investigation

Paul W. Schleck

Jan 18, 2015, 11:22:12 AM1/18/15
REQUEST FOR DISCUSSION (RFD)
moderated group soc.org.freemasonry (remove)

This is a formal Request for Discussion (RFD) to remove the moderated
[...]

DISCUSSION SO FAR:

to news.groups.proposals has been posted after 15 days, suggesting that
no one is reading soc.org.freemasonry, no one wishes to volunteer as
moderator, or no one objects to its removal, or some combination of all
three.
Those who wish to comment on this request to remove this newsgroup
should subscribe to news.groups.proposals and participate in the
relevant threads in that newsgroup. To this end, the followup header of
this RFD has been set to news.groups.proposals.

For more information on the newsgroup removal process, please see
http://www.big-8.org/articles/p/r/o/Procedure_to_remove_newsgroups.html

CHANGE HISTORY:

3 January 2015: Moderator Vacancy Investigation
18 January 2015: 1st RFD (remove)

Big 8 Management Board

Feb 6, 2015, 10:04:10 AM2/6/15
2nd REQUEST FOR DISCUSSION (RFD)
moderated group soc.org.freemasonry (remove) - LAST CALL FOR COMMENTS

This is a formal Request for Discussion (RFD) to remove the moderated
newsgroup soc.org.freemasonry.

The B8MB plans to begin voting on this proposal after five days. Please
offer any final discussion or comments before the end of this waiting
period. Voting may take up to one week (7 days); a result will be
posted following the end of the voting period.

All discussion of this proposal should be posted to news.groups.proposals.

[...]

Request for Discussion, no followup to news.groups.proposals has been
posted volunteering to serve as a replacement moderator or moderators,
or inquiring about volunteering.
CHANGE HISTORY:

3 January 2015: Moderator Vacancy Investigation
18 January 2015: 1st RFD (remove)
5 February 2015: LCC

Big 8 Management Board

Feb 21, 2015, 8:14:07 PM2/21/15
RESULT
soc.org.freemasonry will be removed

The Last Call for Comments (LCC) on 5 February 2015 initiated a five-day
period for final comments. Following this comment period, the Big 8
Management Board has decided by consensus to remove the group
soc.org.freemasonry.

RATIONALE FOR REMOVAL:
[...]

There here has been no discussion of the merits of the group and no
posts in support of retaining it or opposed to removal.

DISTRIBUTION:
news.announce.newgroups
news.groups.proposals
soc.org.freemasonry

NEWSGROUPS LINE:
soc.org.freemasonry Discussion group for the Fraternity "Freemasonry". (Moderated)

21 February 2015: RESULT - group will be removed