Town Hall Meetings in Illinois

Torence

Apr 7, 2011, 10:13:51 AM4/7/11
Well its that time of year again, Time to consider changes to the legislation, if any, here in Illinois. For us, any proposed revisions have to be in before the end of June and have the endorsement of three Past Masters. In our area it has been suggested that we try again on some of the alterations that did not go through the first time such as changes to our Life Membership Program (Our Code 271) and the Constitutional change to lift the residency requirement for Grand Lodge Officer participation.

New discussion centers around the idea to repeal Code 484 and that portion of our Book that involves discipline. Code 484 reads: “The offenses of which a lodge may take cognizance, and to which it shall give full, fair and lawful trial, and for which upon conviction administer adequate punishment are unlawful and immoral conduct, immorality, and particularly acts which intend to impair the good name of masonry or which violate Masonic obligation, or the by-laws and regulations of the lodge of Grand Lodge.”

Generally, the Craft is more satisfied than ever with the performance of the Grand Line and our Grand Master Rick Swaney has been touring the state doing town hall meetings. He is in West Chester tomorrow night and will have another session on the 28th of this month. I will be at Joliet on Saturday morning along with the Grand Line Officers doing a Class.

A stand against the more primitive jurisdictions who treat their membership poorly, such as West Virginia, has been sought; but the general consensus among the various Grand Lines is to keep to their own jurisdictional matters. We had a rash of malfeasance on the part of Lodge Book Officers exposed this year, as is all too disappointingly common when economic times are difficult.

We sold our Elder Care Home in Sullivan to the company that managed it a few years ago and an accounting of the details of the sale is sought by the membership.

Are there any thoughts about discipline or topics from the Craft At Large or changes in your jurisdictions that we may find a benefit?

Fraternally,
Torence Evans Ake
Secretary – Auburn Park Lodge No. 789 – Crete, Illinois
HM – Triluminar Lodge No. 767
PM – Arcadia Lodge No. 1138 – Lansing, Illinois

Doug Freyburger

Apr 7, 2011, 5:59:40 PM4/7/11
Torence wrote:

> In our area it has been suggested that we try again on some of the
> alterations that did not go through the first time such as changes to
> our Life Membership Program (Our Code 271) and the Constitutional
> change to lift the residency requirement for Grand Lodge Officer participation.

If you intend to submit either I would be glad to visit and sign the
petitions.

> A stand against the more primitive jurisdictions who treat their
> membership poorly, such as West Virginia, has been sought; but the
> general consensus among the various Grand Lines is to keep to their own
> jurisdictional matters.

Any interest in presenting that as legislation to force their hand? I
would be glad to visit pen in hand.

I am starting to wonder if it is time to start charging dues to EAs and
FCs. Welcoming them to Stated meetings in the style of all
jurisdictions outside of NA has been wildly successful. Charging them
dues and giving them votes should work the same.

In Illinois there's a ritual reason for charging FCs dues. The word
"worthy" appears in the FC obligation. One of the diverse meanings for
that word is "current on his dues".