Music - What does it mean to you?

Doug Freyburger

Jan 7, 2011, 1:18:16 PM1/7/11
Masonic ramblings,

The sixth of the seven liberal arts and sciences is music. It is said
that any great or important undertaking should have wisdom to contrive
it, strength to support it and beauty to adorn it. I suggest that the
seven liberal follow this pattern. With music we move into the beauty.

Consider grammar and rhetoric as activities that attempt to convey
human wisdom. Consider that because logic, arithmetic and geometry
deal with truth they give strength to human wisdom. Music also has
roots in geometry - The Greeks knew that strings with integer fractional
lengths vibrated with muscial sound. Over time mathematics of rthym and
timing were added to musical theory.

Music done right is beautiful. The chanting of Benedictine monks is
supposed to have been so beautiful it inspired the invention of musical
notation so it could be taught across vast distances and remembered
across generations. Music soothes the savage beast. For lodges that
have an organist the music adds to the emotional impact of both degrees
and business meetings.

Brother Wolfgang Mozart is the second most popular composer of all time
after Beethoven according to surveys of music books. Several of his
operas are filled with Masonic references.

Good music is emotional. I find it interesting that the emotional art
comes after a list if intellectual arts. Consider that when tempted to
view emotions as base. Through the seven liberal arts and sciences
Masonry teaches that emotion can be noble. Now that really is subduing
passions and improving ourselves in Masonry.

Think of a tumbler and a plate. The tumbler is round and tall,
circumscribed. The plate is round, flat and not does not have sides
circumscribed by height. Pour water into the tumbler and it stays.
Pour water into the plate and it spills. Think of that as a symbol for
channeling our emotions into the good and wholesome. The water in the
glass is subdued and it rises to higher heights than the water on the
plate. The finest music does that to our emotions. Channeling our
emotions into the good and wholesome that is our wife, our children
and grandchildren, our churches and our work, is improving ourselves
in Masonry. ThatοΏ½s also the goal of the best music.

Sing in church. Sing in our hearts. The base beat is our regular
attendance at lodge and the stability it brings in our hearts. Our
lives are a song and Masons sing together as a chorus.

Join us in the fine tune. I look forward to seeing you at lodge.
Arlington Heights lodge is looking for an organist. Our song is in our
hearts. Ah for it to also be in our ears! Can you bring music to
lodge? As a member you can in our hearts. As a musician member you
can in our ears.

Fraternal regards,
Doug Freyburger, Senior Deacon
PM 2007/8 Arlington Heights 1162 Illinois AF&AM
PM 1999 Pasadena 272 California F&AM