Illinois Masons Annual Communication in October

Torence

Apr 28, 2012, 11:30:35 PM4/28/12
Hello Brothers-
As so many of our participants are Illinois Masons, I thought that I should remind the group that proposals for change to be considered at our October session are due by May 31st. If anyone has by-law or constituional changes to put forth to the membership, speak up and I can help you to draft the alterations.

More than a third of our book is devoted to one of the most self-destructive of all activities in Masonry, discipline. It is all procedure with very little about the rules that would communicate clearly our standards for behavior to the average participant. This "work" is descended from GM Henry Burnap's plan adopted in 1915 which usurped the Local Lodge's ability to set for itself its community standards and instead apply a process which Grand Master Burnap himself stated was intended to leave every party in a dispute dissatisfied.

The thing to do this year, IMHO, is to go after a "biggest nut" on our wacky tree, i.e. Illinois Codes numbered 464 - 599 and delete them. I always view our book as a document that should show our best features to the outside world. And we have a community of Brothers who profess love and yet; waste their best resource, our hard working Grand Line Officers in the most capricious and degrading of jobs. Where is the Love in the process? Cetainly not here in our principle publication.

All jurisdictions have had their experiences and "luck: with grumpy old men who wear themselves out on their way to the Grand East, an endeavor that will cost them personally here in Illinois anywhere from $50K to $100K and take two decades of very hard work. Just to ascend the East and make a mockery of the very office they hope to grace and build in prestige by degrading the rank and file. Let us instead employ them to lift us up.

The time has come to end these practioes and return the prvilege of dispensing discipline to where the right should belong and remain, the Local Lodge as individual and yet singular authorities for discipline in the state.

Thoughts?

Torence Evans Ake
Secretary - Auburn Park Lodge No.789 - Crete, Illinois
MIGS - Triluminar Lodge No. 767 - Lansing, Illinois
MIGS - Illinois Lodge of Research
PM - Arcadia Lodge No. 1138 - Lansing, Illinois