Summer Stock

Dennis Lewis

Jun 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/12/00
Deja vu...it was about this time last year that I first saw the N.Y.
Times' ad announcing that Paul Rudd* would be appearing in "bash" at the
Douglas Fairbanks Theatre. (*Along with Calista Flockhart and Ron Eldard.)

Yesterday in the Times' Arts & Leisure section I saw the ad for the
Westport Country Playhouse announcing that Paul Rudd will be in one of
their productions this summer. I hesitate to order a ticket out of fear it
will mean I've truly become Giles De'Ath (John Hurt) in "Love and Death on
Long Island." But I did do a quick check and found that a weekend trip to
Connecticut wouldn't be that expensive (from Florida, at least) since
Southwest now serves Hartford.

Anyway, the other performers listed in Sunday's ad are Scott Wolf, Jayne
Atkinson, Frank Converse, John Cunningham, Jane Curtin, Swoosie Kurtz,
James Naughton, Paul Newman, Bronson Pinchot and Joanne Woodward.
Information on the playhouse's summer season is available at:
http://www.westportplayhouse.com
though that site appears to be overdue for an update.

Better information is available from The Hartford Courant:
http://courant.ctnow.com/projects/summer/
(select Theater under the Summer Arts Guide and scroll down that page to
the Westport Country Playhouse).

The majority of the "big names" listed in the Times' ad will be appearing
in "Ancestral Voices." Scott Wolf will be in "Ancestral Voices" for its
first week, July 10-15, along with Frank Converse and Jane Curtin. Paul
Rudd moves into the role for the second week of "Ancestral Voices," July
17-22. I have a feeling that ticket sales will be heavy for the second
week of "Ancestral Voices" since, in addition to Mr. Rudd, that's the
production in which Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward will appear together,
and it will also feature James Naughton and Swoosie Kurtz.

Brian M. Kochera

Jun 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/14/00
In article <8i3np8$ql6$1...@slb7.atl.mindspring.net>, "Dennis Lewis"
<d...@sprynet.com> writes:

>that's the
>production in which Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward will appear together,

I hear these days the stage is the only place that Newman and Woodward "appear
together." BTW, Who is Paul Rudd? I can't say that I have heard of him
before. Scott Wolf I've seen before on that soap on Fox-TV. It'd be
interesting to see what he can do without the confines of mamby-pamby tv
teledrama scripts.

Remove "BLOOMERS" to send email.

Brian - Brian...@aol.com
my web page - http://members.aol.com/brianshore/FrmSet1.htm
In real life ... you can't press the Undo Button!!!

Dennis Lewis

Jun 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/14/00
Brian M. Kochera <brian...@aol.comBLOOMERS> wrote in message

> BTW, Who is Paul Rudd? I can't say that I have heard of him
> before.

Whew...fortunately a kind passerby threw water in my face to revive me
from my faint. In a one sentence summary, Paul Rudd is one of the finest,
most talented actors of his generation.

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Academy/4290/

He first caught the attention of movie audiences in 1995's "Clueless." I
first noticed him in another 1995 release "Halloween: The Curse of Michael
Myers." I had gone to see that movie one afternoon after work only because
I had to fill a two-hour block of free time until a meeting that evening.
The movie had already started when I went in the auditorium, prompting me
to exclaim, "This isn't Kenneth Branagh's 'Othello'!" Just kidding...I
didn't mimic John Hurt in "Love and Death on Long Island" to *that*
extent. I settled back in a seat, thinking "This should be a good way to
kill a couple of hours." It wasn't until the first scene that featured
Tommy Doyle (Paul Rudd) that I straightened up in my seat and got a dopey
look on my face similar to John Hurt's expression when he sees Jason
Priestley on the screen in "Love and Death on Long Island."

Ken Rudolph

Jun 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/14/00
Dennis Lewis wrote:

> Brian M. Kochera <brian...@aol.comBLOOMERS> wrote in message
> >
> > BTW, Who is Paul Rudd? I can't say that I have heard of him
> > before.
>
> Whew...fortunately a kind passerby threw water in my face to revive me
> from my faint. In a one sentence summary, Paul Rudd is one of the finest,
> most talented actors of his generation.

Uh, oh. I might go along with one of the most attractive young
brunettes to grace the big screen...but he's never struck me as an
especially super-talented actor. He was only adequate in "Object of
my Affection", after all; and that was one of his biggest parts.
Compared to Edward Norton who was born the same year (1969)
he's...well let's just say there's no comparison.

--Ken Rudolph

Mike McKinley

Jun 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/15/00

Dennis Lewis wrote:

> Just kidding...I
> didn't mimic John Hurt in "Love and Death on Long Island" to *that*
> extent.

So, girlenes and boylenes, what's the tea on Mr. Hurt's career?
--
******************************
Gáguti gídili lun ganali.

Ann Burlingham

Jun 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/16/00

Ken Rudolph wrote:

> Uh, oh. I might go along with one of the most attractive young
> brunettes to grace the big screen...but he's never struck me as an
> especially super-talented actor. He was only adequate in "Object of
> my Affection", after all; and that was one of his biggest parts.
> Compared to Edward Norton who was born the same year (1969)
> he's...well let's just say there's no comparison.

Absolutely. Rudd's cute. Norton's _astounding_.