Keanu Reeves and David Geffen?

Master Harper Gaellon

Jan 8, 1995, 4:39:39 PM1/8/95
Can anyone corroborate THIS one?

The following article is from "Dnevnik" (published in Ljubljana,
Slovenia), December 30th, 1994. Reprinted without permission.

Keanu Reeves got married - to a man

LOS ANGELES - A handsome Hollywood star Keanu Reeves (30,
"Speed") got married - not to a woman, but to one of the richest
Americans, a record producer David Geffen, 51, a french newspaper
"Voici" reports.

Geffen and Keanu got married in a Los Angeles restaurant. They were
married by a rabbi. Wedding was followed by a party that ended at 2
AM. Many famous people were invited: Claudia Schiffer (24), Cindy
Crawford (28), Steven Spielberg (47) and Liz Taylor (62).

David Geffen has shown - at least in the last twenty years - more
interest in men than in women. Before that, he had a relationship with
singer Cher (50).

On the contrary, Keanu's reputation is that of a great womanizer. In the
USA, he has been awarded "the sexiest man of the year" title.

The love story of this homosexual couple started after last year's
earthquake, when Keanu lost everything and moved to Geffen in Malibu.

Donald Huppert

Jan 8, 1995, 6:07:35 PM1/8/95
In article <3epm2r$c...@kiwi.futuris.net>, gold...@nymc.edu said...

>Can anyone corroborate THIS one?

[report of Reeves/Geffen marriage deleted]

> The love story of this homosexual couple started after last year's
>earthquake, when Keanu lost everything and moved to Geffen in Malibu.

And love may grow,
For all we know.

A week or so ago, there was a blind item in (dare I say it?) the
New York Post which laughed off the rumor; the story, however,
didn't name the happy couple. Of course, it wasn't hard to finger
"a billionaire media mogul," but (as I now learn) I guessed the
identity of the "star" incorrectly.

Don
--
Donald Huppert
dhup...@panix.com

Tom Barrett

Jan 8, 1995, 9:33:31 PM1/8/95

Master Harper Gaellon <gold...@nymc.edu> wrote:
> LOS ANGELES - A handsome Hollywood star Keanu Reeves (30,
>"Speed") got married - not to a woman, but to one of the richest
>Americans, a record producer David Geffen, 51, a french newspaper
>"Voici" reports.

Most every homosexual man's dream come true... being married to either
or both of them!

Smells like a publicity stunt to me, though. What options does Geffen
have open which would be perfect for little... err, big Keanu?

Tom
--
** Tom Barrett __ ** tom.b...@virginia.edu ** MousePotatoe
** M.S.E.E. \/ BC v1.9: B4 f+ t+ w+ d++ g- k- s- r- p **

Phineas

Jan 9, 1995, 4:36:00 AM1/9/95
gold...@nymc.edu (Master Harper Gaellon) writes:

> Can anyone corroborate THIS one?
>
> The following article is from "Dnevnik" (published in Ljubljana,
> Slovenia), December 30th, 1994. Reprinted without permission.
>
> Keanu Reeves got married - to a man
>
> LOS ANGELES - A handsome Hollywood star Keanu Reeves (30,
> "Speed") got married - not to a woman, but to one of the richest
> Americans, a record producer David Geffen, 51, a french newspaper
> "Voici" reports.

Lucky, lucky bastard.... (Geffen I mean)

-=-Phineas

rob saunier

Jan 9, 1995, 11:23:04 AM1/9/95
In article <3epm2r$c...@kiwi.futuris.net>, gold...@nymc.edu (Master Harper Gaellon) says:

> Keanu Reeves got married - to a man
>

> The love story of this homosexual couple started after last year's
>earthquake, when Keanu lost everything and moved to Geffen in Malibu.

with lines like "f--- me" from Speed it's no wonder.

rob-- who had 3 friends call saying I had to see Speed for that line alone

Scott Amspoker

Jan 9, 1995, 11:43:53 AM1/9/95
In article <3epm2r$c...@kiwi.futuris.net> gold...@nymc.edu (Master Harper Gaellon) writes:
> The following article is from "Dnevnik" (published in Ljubljana,
>Slovenia), December 30th, 1994. Reprinted without permission.
>[...]

> Geffen and Keanu got married in a Los Angeles restaurant. They were
>married by a rabbi. Wedding was followed by a party that ended at 2
>AM. Many famous people were invited: Claudia Schiffer (24), Cindy
>Crawford (28), Steven Spielberg (47) and Liz Taylor (62).

I don't know if this is true but I'm fascinated by the constant tagging
of peoples' names with their age. Not being up to speed on Slovenia,
I don't know what kind of publication "Dnevnik" is. I suspect it is
a cheesy tabloid.

-- Scott Amspoker (37)

--
Scott Amspoker |
Basis International |
| THIS SPACE AVAILABLE
WWW: http://www.rt66.com/sda |

Tom Hall

Jan 9, 1995, 1:24:36 PM1/9/95
gold...@nymc.edu (Master Harper Gaellon) writes:

> Can anyone corroborate THIS one?

> The following article is from "Dnevnik" (published in Ljubljana,
> Slovenia), December 30th, 1994. Reprinted without permission.

> Keanu Reeves got married - to a man

One of our two largest daily newspapers carried this story over the
weekend.

So far, I've heard nothing even remotely resembling any refutation of
this from any reputable source....

Nor, I should add, have I seen any confirmation. I suspect our
newspaper simply reprinted the story it got over the wire...

Tom
Tom Hall All opinions are my own
th...@rr.ualberta.ca No one else would want them anyway

Toddie

Jan 9, 1995, 4:15:21 PM1/9/95
ph...@west.darkside.com (Phineas) writes:
> Lucky, lucky bastard.... (Geffen I mean)
> -=-Phineas

You said a mouthful!!!!! :-)

"My life, when it is written, will read better than it lived."

Toddie aka The Piano Guy
CompuServe 70004,460

Mike Batchelor

Jan 9, 1995, 8:30:42 PM1/9/95
In <1995Jan9.1...@bbx.basis.com> sc...@bbx.basis.com (Scott Amspoker) writes:

>In article <3epm2r$c...@kiwi.futuris.net> gold...@nymc.edu (Master Harper Gaellon) writes:
>> The following article is from "Dnevnik" (published in Ljubljana,
>>Slovenia), December 30th, 1994. Reprinted without permission.
>>[...]
>> Geffen and Keanu got married in a Los Angeles restaurant. They were
>>married by a rabbi. Wedding was followed by a party that ended at 2
>>AM. Many famous people were invited: Claudia Schiffer (24), Cindy
>>Crawford (28), Steven Spielberg (47) and Liz Taylor (62).

>I don't know if this is true but I'm fascinated by the constant tagging
>of peoples' names with their age. Not being up to speed on Slovenia,
>I don't know what kind of publication "Dnevnik" is. I suspect it is
>a cheesy tabloid.

There's a shortage of cheese in the ex-USSR. It's a potatoey tabloid.
--
\\\ Mike Batchelor /// mik...@clark.net \\\ M.Bat...@babylon4.clark.net ///

David A. Kaye

Jan 9, 1995, 11:37:30 PM1/9/95
Master Harper Gaellon (gold...@nymc.edu) wrote:

: Can anyone corroborate THIS one?
: Keanu Reeves got married - to a man

Funny, when he was asked by film director Gus van Sant to look through
some porno to prepare for his role as a hustler in "My Own Private
Idaho", he went "EEWWWWW!!! Guys DO this stuff?" (Inexact quote, except
for the eewwwww.)

--
d...@crl.com 40% of medical visits are by hypocondriacs (Dean
San Francisco Edell)

Larry McCue

Jan 9, 1995, 11:52:46 PM1/9/95
In article <3erv14$h...@quartz.ucs.ualberta.ca>, th...@brule.forsci.ualberta.ca

() says:

>One of our two largest daily newspapers carried this story over the
>weekend.
>So far, I've heard nothing even remotely resembling any refutation of
>this from any reputable source....

Do you really think the star of one of the year's most successful
action pictures would "get married" to a member of the same sex
"with witnesses?" I think not. Sounds like wishful thinking
(or an attempt to sell newspapers).

L.

Wil Leigh

Jan 10, 1995, 10:36:59 AM1/10/95
Scott Amspoker (sc...@bbx.basis.com) wrote:

: Not being up to speed on Slovenia, I don't know what kind of publication

: "Dnevnik" is. I suspect it is a cheesy tabloid.

Slovenia? Hmmm. Isn't that where Connie Chung studied journalism?

Couldn't resist,
Wil.

--
Wil Leigh at Silent Sunlight

Heath David

Jan 10, 1995, 7:04:49 AM1/10/95

Hate to break it to you, Mike, but Slovenia isn't part of what was
the USSR. It used to be part of Yugoslavia.

Heath
"Garcon! Table for two, please."
"Do you have reservations?"
"Yeah, I'm wondering if we'd be better off going home and ordering pizza."

Tom Hall

Jan 10, 1995, 11:57:29 AM1/10/95
d...@crl.com (David A. Kaye) writes:

> Master Harper Gaellon (gold...@nymc.edu) wrote:

> : Can anyone corroborate THIS one?
> : Keanu Reeves got married - to a man

> Funny, when he was asked by film director Gus van Sant to look
> through some porno to prepare for his role as a hustler in "My Own
> Private Idaho", he went "EEWWWWW!!! Guys DO this stuff?" (Inexact
> quote, except for the eewwwww.)

Musta been one helluva learning curve for him.... :)

James Newton Merricks

Jan 10, 1995, 1:45:02 PM1/10/95
Master Harper Gaellon (gold...@nymc.edu) wrote:
: Geffen and Keanu got married in a Los Angeles restaurant. They were

: married by a rabbi. Wedding was followed by a party that ended at 2
: AM. Many famous people were invited: Claudia Schiffer (24), Cindy
: Crawford (28), Steven Spielberg (47) and Liz Taylor (62).

Oh! Say it isn't so!!!! And I have waited all these years hoping that
Keanu would somehow find and propose to me.
Cruel world!

I suppose I must find the strength to go on, at least Brad Pitt is still
single. A boy can dream.... ;-)

James

--
Life is a banquet, and most poor fools are starving!! -Mame

merr...@unity.ncsu.edu

Greg Havican

Jan 10, 1995, 3:41:05 PM1/10/95
Toddie wrote:
> ph...@west.darkside.com (Phineas) writes:
> > Lucky, lucky bastard.... (Geffen I mean)
> > -=-Phineas

> You said a mouthful!!!!! :-)

I believe it *WAS* the mouthful that Phineas was referring to.

Greg
|Greg Havican | "You! Out of the pool!"--gene police |
|P.O. Box 16181 | If it don't fit, I won't force it; |
|Austin, Texas | unless you beg me to! |
|topm...@io.com | Are you Warped yet? |
|=================================================================|
| WWW http://io.com/user/topman4u |
|_________________________________________________________________|

Robert Gibbs

Jan 10, 1995, 4:28:16 PM1/10/95
>Do you really think the star of one of the year's most successful
>action pictures would "get married" to a member of the same sex
>"with witnesses?" I think not. Sounds like wishful thinking
>(or an attempt to sell newspapers).

Come on. I don't really believe this Reeves/Geffen rumor, but gay
marriages have been frequent in one form or another in Hollywood since
the beginning of the film industry. For years, I've heard from insiders
of fairly open ceremonies by BIG name stars at the peak of their career.
What doesn't happen is a listing of the bans in the local and national
press!

Bob Beer

Jan 10, 1995, 9:37:09 PM1/10/95
In article <1995Jan9.1...@bbx.basis.com>,

Scott Amspoker <sc...@bbx.basis.com> wrote:
>of peoples' names with their age. Not being up to speed on Slovenia,
>I don't know what kind of publication "Dnevnik" is. I suspect it is
>a cheesy tabloid.

Well, it just means "daily."

rcl...@charlie.usd.edu

Jan 11, 1995, 4:43:54 PM1/11/95
In article <3erv14$h...@quartz.ucs.ualberta.ca>, th...@brule.forsci.ualberta.ca (Tom Hall) writes:
>gold...@nymc.edu (Master Harper Gaellon) writes:
>
>> Can anyone corroborate THIS one?
>
>> The following article is from "Dnevnik" (published in Ljubljana,
>> Slovenia), December 30th, 1994. Reprinted without permission.
>
>> Keanu Reeves got married - to a man

Has anyone seen it on Entertainment Tonight? I am sure that if it were true
the would know and report it.

Phineas

Jan 11, 1995, 3:25:24 PM1/11/95
th...@brule.forsci.ualberta.ca (Tom Hall) writes:

> d...@crl.com (David A. Kaye) writes:
>
> > Master Harper Gaellon (gold...@nymc.edu) wrote:
>
> > : Can anyone corroborate THIS one?
> > : Keanu Reeves got married - to a man
>
> > Funny, when he was asked by film director Gus van Sant to look
> > through some porno to prepare for his role as a hustler in "My Own
> > Private Idaho", he went "EEWWWWW!!! Guys DO this stuff?" (Inexact
> > quote, except for the eewwwww.)
>
> Musta been one helluva learning curve for him.... :)
>
> Tom

Hell, I woulda loved to help him 'study' for the part :)

-=-Phineas

Alan Trivett

Jan 12, 1995, 7:34:50 PM1/12/95
On Wed, 11 Jan 1995, Helix the DAT wrote:

> Actually.. I don't think the campfire scene ever happened. By that,
> I mean that it was part of a dream sequence that occurs when the
> River Phoenix character is out cold when the motorcycle died on the
> road. There are a few scenes in the movie that I think are fantasies
> played out by this character. I think that's what the metaphor of
> "My Own Private Idaho" was all about - a secret fantasy world that
> he entered after a narcoleptic attack.
>
> Of course, I could be totally off base. There are perhaps other
> interpretations! :-)
>
> Dave

While I like your interpretation, and can see the consistency with the
opening and closing scenes on the Highway, this does not deny that the
scene actually took place on the screen and that (whether or not in the
character's imagination) the Keanu character was a hustler. Unless the
entire movie between the opening on the highway and the end of the movie,
again on the highway, was a dream, your theory doesn't hold because the
sequences afterwards wouldn't make sense. Even if, as you suggest, the
whole thing was a dream played out on screen, Scott Favor was a hustler.

I am sure you already know about the Shakespeare connection between this
movie and the influence of Henry IV on the plot?

_|_| _| _|_| _| _| J. Alan Trivett
_| _| _| _| _| _|_| _| e-mail to:
_|--_| _| _|--_| _| _|_| triv...@wfunet.wfu.edu
_| _| _|_|_| _| _| _| _| =======================

abl...@ivory.trentu.ca

Jan 13, 1995, 2:26:27 AM1/13/95
In article <3f4gn8$h...@lastactionhero.rs.itd.umich.edu>, bri...@stimpy.us.itd.umich.edu (Brian W. Spolarich) writes:
>Tom Hall (th...@brule.forsci.ualberta.ca) wrote:
>: > >> Keanu Reeves got married - to a man
>
>: Well, if anyone happens to be in Winnipeg, Manitoba between now and
>: Feb. 4th, you might try asking him in person.... :-)
>
>: He's apparently doing a stage production of "Hamlet" there....
>
> That's truly frightening. He's really quite a bad actor.
>
> -b.

a good friend of mine was doing a work-study at the M.T.C. (where the
production's going on) when this was all being planned. She wrote to me and
told me the details, and I was absolutely flabbergasted. Then she sent me a
poster from their production of "Unidentified Human Remains And The True Nature
Of Love" (by Brad Fraser), and wrote on it, "do you recognise this woman?"
I totally ROTFL'd. It was Erica Ehm, VeeJay on Much Music (although she's
not on there anymore), *starring* as the dominatrix character. Apparently
somebody at M.T.C. seems to think that "big names" are better than decent
acting. Sad, really.
As to Keanu's "status", well, I recall having seen some video by a
queer band which totally satirized "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure". It
featured explicit sex, BTW. I wonder if that was _really_ an impersonator?

--Ani

Tom Hall

Jan 12, 1995, 12:10:57 PM1/12/95
rcl...@charlie.usd.edu writes:

> >> Keanu Reeves got married - to a man

> Has anyone seen it on Entertainment Tonight? I am sure that if it

> were true the would know and report it.

Well, if anyone happens to be in Winnipeg, Manitoba between now and

Feb. 4th, you might try asking him in person.... :-)

He's apparently doing a stage production of "Hamlet" there....

Tom

Brian W. Spolarich

Jan 12, 1995, 7:15:36 PM1/12/95
Tom Hall (th...@brule.forsci.ualberta.ca) wrote:

: > >> Keanu Reeves got married - to a man

: Well, if anyone happens to be in Winnipeg, Manitoba between now and

: Feb. 4th, you might try asking him in person.... :-)

: He's apparently doing a stage production of "Hamlet" there....

That's truly frightening. He's really quite a bad actor.

-b.
Brian W. Spolarich bri...@umich.edu
UM ITD User Services (313) 747-3499
World-Wide Web Services Coordinator http://www.us.itd.umich.edu

Mike Batchelor

Jan 12, 1995, 9:42:53 PM1/12/95

>Tom Hall (th...@brule.forsci.ualberta.ca) wrote:

>: > >> Keanu Reeves got married - to a man

>: Well, if anyone happens to be in Winnipeg, Manitoba between now and
>: Feb. 4th, you might try asking him in person.... :-)

>: He's apparently doing a stage production of "Hamlet" there....

> That's truly frightening. He's really quite a bad actor.

"To fuck me, or not to fuck me...."

--
\\\ Mike Batchelor /// mik...@clark.net \\\ M.Bat...@babylon4.clark.net ///

"The avalanche has already begun. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."

Playrite

Jan 13, 1995, 11:14:23 PM1/13/95
Oh, please! The boy couldn't do more with Don John than call a
constipated grimace a performance -- and now he's going after the Dane?
If I were John Simon (if I were John Simon, I'd hardly be posting here,
would I?) -- If I were John Simon, I'd pay for my own tickets and airfare
to Winnipeg for the pleasure of delivering a coup de grace. Most heinous
hubris, dude!
Scott Ross
"Is it a breakdown?/Or is it a break?" -- Cole Porter

On 12 Jan 1995, Tom Hall wrote:

> Well, if anyone happens to be in Winnipeg, Manitoba between now and

Steve Jones

Jan 14, 1995, 3:39:20 AM1/14/95
In article <3f4pbd$k...@babylon4.clark.net> Mike Batchelor <M.Bat...@babylon4.clark.net> writes:
>From: Mike Batchelor <M.Bat...@babylon4.clark.net>

>"To fuck me, or not to fuck me...."

That would definitely be a big, fat "NO!" A pretty face is just not enough to
bother with. I mean, he singlehandedly ruined the file Dracula ( well, ok,
Ryder and Coppola helped a lot, but...) Pardon my early AM vent, after
flirting with lotsa really cute boys and girls at the Chamber, a really cool
club in town **sigh**

Wow...I'm being profoundly incoherent...sorry...

Roger Davies

Jan 14, 1995, 1:33:39 PM1/14/95
> I mean, he singlehandedly ruined the file Dracula

Excellent film, IMHO. I even enjoyed Keanu's flaky English accent.
Much better than Kevin ("I don't do accents") Costner's dulcet
American tones in "Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves".

Roger

Steven Teeter

Jan 14, 1995, 2:47:35 PM1/14/95
James Newton Merricks (merr...@unity.ncsu.edu) wrote:
: Oh! Say it isn't so!!!! And I have waited all these years hoping that

: Keanu would somehow find and propose to me.
: Cruel world!

: I suppose I must find the strength to go on, at least Brad Pitt is still
: single. A boy can dream.... ;-)

Brad Pitt was quoted in the paper as saying that while it was a blast
being on location and in period costume shooting "Legends of the Fall",
after a while you do get tired and, in his words, "just want to get home
and get into my own boxers."

I can understand. I'd like to get into his boxers too.

Steve Teeter
turb...@new-orleans.neosoft.com

Playrite

Jan 15, 1995, 12:16:14 AM1/15/95
Did he happen to mention just *WHOSE* boxers he's been into all this time?

Scott "I can't think of another Cole Porter lyric just now" Ross
play...@nando.net

On 14 Jan 1995, Steven Teeter wrote:
> Brad Pitt was quoted in the paper as saying that while it was a blast

Playrite

Jan 15, 1995, 12:03:21 AM1/15/95
Lissen, the kid couldn't act his way through *SPEED*, fer god's sake.
What the hell is he going to do when he finds out Hamlet never even goes
*NEAR* a bus terminal?

Scott Ross
"A slap and a tickle/Is all that the fickle/Male ever has in his head."
-- Cole Porter

Mark Wesley Morton

Jan 15, 1995, 1:50:37 AM1/15/95
ine.SUN.3.90.950114...@merlin.nando.net>:
Playrite (play...@merlin.nando.net) wrote:
: Lissen, the kid couldn't act his way through *SPEED*, fer god's sake.

: What the hell is he going to do when he finds out Hamlet never even goes
: *NEAR* a bus terminal?

Come on, "Speed" wasn't even a movie that was MEANT to have any good
acting, it was just a stipid actION flix. Keanu is good with Shakespeare.
Check him out in "My Own Private Idaho", he does his best work in the
Shakespearian stuff. Well, actually I bet he did his BEST work with River
AFTER the days shoot, but that's not what we're talking about.
--
* Mark Wesley Morton Bremerton, WA. USA mor...@iia.org *
* No more promise, no more sorrow, no longer will I follow. *

I feel like taking all my clothes off and dancing to 'The Rite of Spring'.

Jan 15, 1995, 2:26:37 AM1/15/95
In article <3fagjt$h...@ankh.iia.org>, mor...@iia.org (Mark Wesley Morton) writes:
>ine.SUN.3.90.950114...@merlin.nando.net>:
>Playrite (play...@merlin.nando.net) wrote:
>: Lissen, the kid couldn't act his way through *SPEED*, fer god's sake.
>: What the hell is he going to do when he finds out Hamlet never even goes
>: *NEAR* a bus terminal?
>
>Come on, "Speed" wasn't even a movie that was MEANT to have any good
>acting, it was just a stipid actION flix. Keanu is good with Shakespeare.
>Check him out in "My Own Private Idaho", he does his best work in the
>Shakespearian stuff. Well, actually I bet he did his BEST work with River
>AFTER the days shoot, but that's not what we're talking about.

ummm, have you not seen 'much ado about nothing,' mark? except for the fact
that he does a scene shirtless, he's awful. he makes no positive contribution
to the movie. none at all!

--scott
--
scott hale.........................................ssh6053@ocvaxa.cc.oberlin.edu
oberlin conservatory of music......................................oberlin, ohio

"Work is what you do for others, Liebchen. Art is what you do for yourself."

"That's the responsibility of an artist: to show people themselves."

Message has been deleted

Phineas

Jan 15, 1995, 3:58:53 AM1/15/95
mor...@iia.org (Mark Wesley Morton) writes:

> ine.SUN.3.90.950114...@merlin.nando.net>:
> Playrite (play...@merlin.nando.net) wrote:
> : Lissen, the kid couldn't act his way through *SPEED*, fer god's sake.
> : What the hell is he going to do when he finds out Hamlet never even goes
> : *NEAR* a bus terminal?
>
> Come on, "Speed" wasn't even a movie that was MEANT to have any good
> acting, it was just a stipid actION flix. Keanu is good with Shakespeare.
> Check him out in "My Own Private Idaho", he does his best work in the
> Shakespearian stuff. Well, actually I bet he did his BEST work with River
> AFTER the days shoot, but that's not what we're talking about.

Oh let's talk about it! I heard River Phoenix had 'another actor' give
him a blow job to 'study for the role'. One can only imagine who he
was....

River: "Hi, Keanu? It's River. I was wondering if you'd like to come
over again tonight and do some... research"
Keanu: "Dude! It's the fourth time this week!"
River: "I know, but I just want this role to be really authentic for
both of us"
Keanu: "Well, okay, should I bring any lube this time?"

Sigh.

-=-Phineas

Greg Havican

Jan 15, 1995, 2:02:43 PM1/15/95
In message <3fagjt$h...@ankh.iia.org> - mor...@iia.org (Mark Wesley Morton) wri
tes:

[Snip]

>heck him out in "My Own Private Idaho", he does his best work in the
>Shakespearian stuff. Well, actually I bet he did his BEST work with River
>AFTER the days shoot, but that's not what we're talking about.

Actually, that's exactly what we're talking about.

Greg

Mark Wesley Morton

Jan 15, 1995, 8:16:38 PM1/15/95
: ummm, have you not seen 'much ado about nothing,' mark? except for the

fact : that he does a scene shirtless, he's awful. he makes no positive
contribution : to the movie. none at all! : --scott

Got to admit I haven't seen it. Had heard it was really bad. But I have to
sorta argue and defend my comments on Keanu. I wasn't trying to say he
was a Sir Lawarence or anything, only that *in my opinion* "Idaho" shows
that Keanu is *capable* of doing Shakespeare. There are SO many variables
that make a performance either good or bad, and not all of them have to
do with an actors ability. Granted, a true great will be more constantly
great, but even they put out some real dogs sometime. There seems to
be mass Keanu talent bashing running around lately, and I don't feel he
deserves it. He's an working actor who entertains a LOT of people, and
occasionally does something like "Idaho" which again, IMHO, is a great
piece of work, although largely either ignored or shrugged off as some
second rate sex flix.

David Ryniker

Jan 15, 1995, 8:51:51 PM1/15/95

Actually, according to yesterday's Vancouver Sun, his performance in
Hamlet in Winnepeg was greeted with some snickers, but the reviewers
generally said he "wasn't bad." Not exactly overwhelming, but better
than anybody expected. I watch "Much Ado About Nothing" not only to see
Keanu shirtless, but rather enjoy Kenneth Brannagh too. I agree, Keanu
contributes nothing to the film. -David

Stacie Brown (sjb...@dunix.drake.edu) wrote:
: Playrite (play...@merlin.nando.net) wrote:
: : Lissen, the kid couldn't act his way through *SPEED*, fer god's sake.

: : What the hell is he going to do when he finds out Hamlet never even goes
: : *NEAR* a bus terminal?

: While I agree that he is a horrible actor, I do wonder what he would be
: like on stage. The mediums are so drastic in difference that there may
: be a chance he might actually be good.

: Some stage acotrs just don't do well on flim.

: But then again he probably sucks there too...

: Alex
: --

: "For without the Darke, mankind might never have known the light."
: "Do you hear that sound? It is the sound of the world cheering you on
: into mediocrity and uslessness, it is the sound of nails being driven
: into the cheap wooden coffin that is your life." -AD

<ryn...@unixg.ubc.ca> DAVID C. RYNIKER
doctoral student @ UNIV. OF BRITISH COLUMBIA
department ANTHROPOLOGY AND SOCIOLOGY
address 6303 NORTHWEST MARINE DRIVE
city & province VANCOUVER, BRITISH COLUMBIA
postal code & country V6T 1Z1 CANADA

Playrite

Jan 15, 1995, 9:26:24 PM1/15/95
i agree with scott hale; as i noted elsewhere, reeves was content to
allow a look that suggested he'd been eating a bad bit of celery to
constitute his entire performance as don john. that k. brannagh didn't
fire him immediately on seeing the very first set of rushes is a mystery
right up there with the origin of stonehenge. and even if "speed" was a
silly action movie, that didn't stop sandra bullock and jeff daniels from
giving credible performances.
-- scott ross

On 15 Jan 1995, I feel like taking all my clothes off and dancing to 'The Rite of Spring'. wrote:

> >Come on, "Speed" wasn't even a movie that was MEANT to have any good
> >acting, it was just a stipid actION flix. Keanu is good with Shakespeare.
> >Check him out in "My Own Private Idaho", he does his best work in the
> >Shakespearian stuff. Well, actually I bet he did his BEST work with River

Playrite

Jan 15, 1995, 10:07:49 PM1/15/95
It wasn't my intention to start a flamewar over Keanu Reeves ... BUT:
No, he isn't talentless (cf, "River's Edge", and I liked him in
"Dangerous Liaisons", too). Howver: if just being a working actor who
entertains large numbers of people were all that mattered, we could well
and truly say that the single most important actor in movies today is
Arnold Schwarzenegger. KR *does* however, IMO, seem a terribly *lazy*
actor who gives a far greater number of bad or just plain indifferent
performances than good ones. (But then, so does Paul Newman half the
time, and god only knows how many bad movies Peter O'Toole, Richard
Burton and Albert Finney have made.) If Keanu is being bashed, it's
because of his chutzpah (in light of things like "Much Ado") in essaying
Hamlet. Sorry if I offended. O:-)

On 16 Jan 1995, Mark Wesley Morton wrote:

> I have to sorta argue and defend my comments on Keanu. I wasn't trying to
say he was a Sir Lawarence or anything, only that *in my opinion* "Idaho"

shows that Keanu is *capable* of doing Shakespeare ... There seems to

Kenji Matsuoka

Jan 23, 1995, 12:19:39 PM1/23/95
In article <3fcjfn$n...@nnrp.ucs.ubc.ca>,
David Ryniker <ryn...@unixg.ubc.ca> wrote:

>I watch "Much Ado About Nothing" not only to see
>Keanu shirtless, but rather enjoy Kenneth Brannagh too. I agree, Keanu
>contributes nothing to the film.

What? You didn't get a vicious thrill as you snorted with laughter
the first time you saw Keanu saying "I am not. a man. of many words."?!

Kenji

--
there were times i wanted to post to motss, but i hate rejection,
know what i mean? -- anonymous

Jess Anderson

Jan 27, 1995, 9:33:09 PM1/27/95
In article <3g9p0n$9...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>,
PaulNYCity <pauln...@aol.com> wrote:

>usa today i'm told reported monday that dave and keanu's
>mother went together to winnipeg for keanu's opening night.
>what does that mean?

Wanted to see the performance, most likely.

--
Copyright 1995 Jess Anderson. All rights reserved. Copying in
whole or in part prohibited except for direct response on Usenet.

Michael Thomas

Jan 30, 1995, 2:11:15 PM1/30/95
Heath Davis Hudson (hdhu...@whale.st.usm.edu) wrote:
> Little Buddha was a lousy movie and Keanu Reeves is a
> lousy actor. Peel away his good looks and all
> you have is a vacuum. I honestly don't understand the
> fascination with proving or disproving
> that he is gay. He's a cipher with no brains and even
> less talent.

Clearly somebody unclear on the concept.
--
Michael Thomas (mi...@mtcc.com)
I don't want any of this froggie plonk! Bring me a pint 'o bitter!

Robert Hansen

Feb 1, 1995, 5:23:06 PM2/1/95
In article <3g9p0n$9...@newsbf02.news.aol.com> pauln...@aol.com (PaulNYCity) writes:

>usa today i'm told reported monday that dave and keanu's mother went
>together to winnipeg for keanu's opening night. what does that mean?

It means Dave and Keanu's mother went together to Winnipeg for Keanu's
opening night.

| ROBERT A. HANSEN |
| Telecommunications Department |
| Oregon Health Sciences University |