olympics

Tim Wilson

Sep 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/15/00
Are they over yet?

Thanks!

Clay Colwell

Sep 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/15/00
Tim Wilson <wils...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> Are they over yet?

> Thanks!

Why, yes! It's safe to watch the channels upon
which they're broadcast now. You won't see a
thing. Honest!

-- Clay, who's looking forward to water polo and
Greco-Roman wrestling

Mike McKinley

Sep 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/15/00

Tim Wilson wrote:

> Are they over yet?
> Thanks!

I hate sports.

--
******************************
i love the idiot but hate the idiocy

Tim Wilson

Sep 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/15/00
DRS wrote:

> "Tim Wilson" <wils...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> > Are they over yet?
> >
> > Thanks!
>
> What are you whingeing about? You aren't here.

I have never whinged in my life.

Tim Wilson

Sep 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/15/00
Mike McKinley wrote:

> Tim Wilson wrote:
>
> > Are they over yet?
> > Thanks!
>
> I hate sports.

Our TV isn't hooked up!

Tim Wilson

Sep 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/15/00
DRS wrote:

> "Tim Wilson" <wils...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> > DRS wrote:
> > >
> > > "Tim Wilson" <wils...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> > > What are you whingeing about? You aren't here.
> >
> > I have never whinged in my life.
>
> Never's a mighty big word.

So is "whinge".

Ellen Evans

Sep 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/15/00
In article <39C28DE7...@bellsouth.net>,
Tim Wilson <wils...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
[]

>I have never whinged in my life.

It's never too late!
--
Ellen Evans 17 Across: The "her" of "Leave Her to Heaven"
je...@panix.com New York Times, 7/14/96

Robert Hansen

Sep 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/15/00
Mike McKinley wrote:

> Tim Wilson wrote:
>
> > Are they over yet?
> > Thanks!
>
> I hate sports.

Agreed, except for Aussie Rules Football. <sigh...!>

rah

--
Robert Hansen han...@uswest.net Portland, OR USA
"Nobody can be exactly like me.

Tim Wilson

Sep 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/15/00
DRS wrote:

> "Tim Wilson" <wils...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> > DRS wrote:
> > >
> > > "Tim Wilson" <wils...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> > > Never's a mighty big word.
> >
> > So is "whinge".
>
> It's no bigger than whine, a word I had freely thrown at me not so long ago
> over a minor comment I made. I meant it lightly.

So did I my original comment. Maybe we're both in good company.

> Communication on the Net
> is hard. Let's go shopping.

Zippy sez, "Ken says, `Woo, woo. Sorry, no credit at Mr. Liquor'."

Tim Wilson

Sep 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/15/00
Ellen Evans wrote:

> In article <39C28DE7...@bellsouth.net>,
> Tim Wilson <wils...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> []
> >I have never whinged in my life.
>
> It's never too late!

Is there a whinging instructor in the house?

Tim Wilson

Sep 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/15/00
Born Sleepy wrote:

> In article <39C2D0A1...@bellsouth.net>, Tim Wilson
> <wils...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
> - Ellen Evans wrote:
> - >
> - > In article <39C28DE7...@bellsouth.net>,
> - > Tim Wilson <wils...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> - > []
> - > >I have never whinged in my life.
> - >
> - > It's never too late!
> -
> - Is there a whinging instructor in the house?
>
> yes.

I said "whinging", not "wing ding".

DRS

Sep 15, 2000, 4:55:09 PM9/15/00
"Tim Wilson" <wils...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Are they over yet?
>
> Thanks!

What are you whingeing about? You aren't here.

--
"a sweet young child, brought up in a well-to-do family, sent to an
exclusive school, graduating in law and entering parliament almost

DRS

Sep 15, 2000, 5:23:59 PM9/15/00
"Tim Wilson" <wils...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> DRS wrote:
> >
> > "Tim Wilson" <wils...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > > Are they over yet?
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> >
> > What are you whingeing about? You aren't here.
>
> I have never whinged in my life.

Never's a mighty big word.

DRS

Sep 15, 2000, 5:33:32 PM9/15/00
"Tim Wilson" <wils...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> DRS wrote:
> >
> > "Tim Wilson" <wils...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> > > I have never whinged in my life.
> >
> > Never's a mighty big word.
>
> So is "whinge".

It's no bigger than whine, a word I had freely thrown at me not so long ago

over a minor comment I made. I meant it lightly. Communication on the Net

is hard. Let's go shopping.

Christian Hansen

Sep 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/16/00
On Sat, 16 Sep 2000 08:33:32 +1100, "DRS" <d...@removethis.ihug.com.au> wrote:

>"Tim Wilson" <wils...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> DRS wrote:
>> > "Tim Wilson" <wils...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> > Never's a mighty big word.
>> So is "whinge".
>It's no bigger than whine, a word I had freely thrown at me not so long ago
>over a minor comment I made. I meant it lightly. Communication on the Net
>is hard. Let's go shopping.

*SIG *SIG *SIG!!!

Chris "It's gems like that that keep me coming ....back" Hansen
--
Chris Hansen | chris at hansenhome dot demon dot co dot uk
http://www.hansenhome.demon.co.uk

John Fisher

Sep 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/16/00
In article <39C2C7F7...@uswest.net>, Robert Hansen
<han...@uswest.net> writes
>Mike McKinley wrote:

>> I hate sports.
>
>Agreed, except for Aussie Rules Football. <sigh...!>

Aussie Rules is definitely unique. But there's one other sporting event
I will watch. For hours.

The Tour de France.

OMG...

--
John Fisher jo...@drummond.demon.co.uk jo...@epcc.ed.ac.uk

Andrea Merrell

Sep 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/16/00
John Fisher wrote in soc.motss:

> In article <39C2C7F7...@uswest.net>, Robert Hansen
> <han...@uswest.net> writes
> >Mike McKinley wrote:
> >> I hate sports.
> >Agreed, except for Aussie Rules Football. <sigh...!>
> Aussie Rules is definitely unique. But there's one other sporting event
> I will watch. For hours.

Unfortunately women's teams are very rare. <smile>

> The Tour de France.
> OMG...

When does that get labelled as a drug of addiction? If the other major
stage races were televised out here I'd probably watch them to.

Andi
--
Andrea Merrell, the fluffKitten.

Tim Wilson

Sep 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/16/00
Born Sleepy wrote:

> In article <39C2E870...@bellsouth.net>, Tim Wilson
> <wils...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
> - > - Is there a whinging instructor in the house?
> - >
> - > yes.
> -
> - I said "whinging", not "wing ding".
>
> no you didn't!
>
> (what's a wing ding anyway? sounds like a Little Debbie snak).

Little Debbie, Little Debbie.

A "wing ding" is a big deal, no?

Karen Dougherty

Sep 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/16/00
Tim Wilson wils...@bellsouth.net writes:

>A "wing ding" is a big deal, no?

Ding! Buffalo wings for dinner!
I was wondering how to get out of cooking.

Karen,winging her way to the phone

Jeffrey William McKeough

Sep 16, 2000, 9:30:49 PM9/16/00
In article <39C3CC4B...@bellsouth.net>,
Tim Wilson <wils...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

For some reason your new user ID makes me picture Tina Turner saying,
"Dance for the man, Wilsonti!"

--
Jeffrey William McKeough j...@spdcc.com (or spdcc.net if that bounces)
Husholdning Vaskemidler Milo My bloodlust having been satisfied,

Robert S. Coren

Sep 17, 2000, 10:07:01 PM9/17/00
In article <spoot-ya02408000...@news.uswest.net>,
Born Sleepy <sp...@spacemoose.com.snipme2emailme> wrote:
>In article <39C2D0A1...@bellsouth.net>, Tim Wilson

><wils...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
>- Ellen Evans wrote:
>- >
>- > In article <39C28DE7...@bellsouth.net>,
>- > Tim Wilson <wils...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>- > []
>- > >I have never whinged in my life.
>- >
>- > It's never too late!
>-
>- Is there a whinging instructor in the house?
>
>yes.

I guess you're including in the category of "instructor" those who
teach by example.
--
---Robert Coren (co...@spdcc.com)--(or try net instead of com)-------
"If you're efficient, you can do an entire room in two minutes."

John Dorrance

Sep 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/18/00

Tim Wilson wrote:

> Ellen Evans wrote:

> > Tim Wilson <wils...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> > >I have never whinged in my life.

> > It's never too late!

> Is there a whinging instructor in the house?

Sure. First off, it's whingeing. But yes - may I help you?

John

John Dorrance

Sep 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/18/00

Tim Wilson wrote:

> Are they over yet?

> Thanks!

Hush your mouth. The wrestling hasn't even started yet.

John

Sim Aberson

Sep 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/18/00
In article <39C2D0A1...@bellsouth.net>,
Tim Wilson <wils...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>Is there a whinging instructor in the house?

Just wing it.

--
"Viewed from safety, a hurricane is grand entertainment...But as [Inside
the Hurricane by Pete Davies] makes abundantly clear, hurricanes are deadly

John Dorrance

Sep 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/18/00

"Anthony J. Rzepela" wrote:

> John Dorrance (jhdo...@facstaff.wisc.edu) wrote:

> : > Thanks!

> So what's Ian Thorpe's story? [...]

First you ask me about some actress on Sex in the City or whatever,
now about Ian Thorpe. Why do you pester me so, Tony? Why? I know
nothing of these things! Please leave me alone!!!

John

Tim Wilson

Sep 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/18/00
"Anthony J. Rzepela" wrote:

> John Dorrance (jhdo...@facstaff.wisc.edu) wrote:
> :
> : Tim Wilson wrote:
> :
> : > Are they over yet?
> :
> : > Thanks!
> :
> : Hush your mouth. The wrestling hasn't even started yet.
>
> So what's Ian Thorpe's story?

Size 17 shoes!

> Bob Costas felt compelled to
> mention over the weekend that IT couldn't even get his
> very good (they're "very close", and apparently I missed
> the video profile in which he was shown) male friend a
> ticket to the main swimming event. Would a wannabe
> butch-he-man sportscaster with a 90s sensitivity make
> a fuss over an athlete not scoring a ticket for any old
> roommate/buddy? I was confused.

Those are dots I didn't connect. Things that make you go hmmmmm.

Tim Wilson

Sep 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/18/00
"Anthony J. Rzepela" wrote:

> Tim Wilson (wils...@bellsouth.net) wrote:
> : "Anthony J. Rzepela" wrote:
> :
> : > Bob Costas felt compelled to

> : > mention over the weekend that IT couldn't even get his
> : > very good (they're "very close", and apparently I missed
> : > the video profile in which he was shown) male friend a
> : > ticket to the main swimming event. Would a wannabe
> : > butch-he-man sportscaster with a 90s sensitivity make
> : > a fuss over an athlete not scoring a ticket for any old
> : > roommate/buddy? I was confused.
> :
> : Those are dots I didn't connect. Things that make you go hmmmmm.
>
> You mean the fact that I connected them make one go hmmmm?

I'm not telling.

> He could have just been under the spell of a Bushesque
> brain fart, and was only trying to say the far simpler,
> "Ian Thorpe could get tickets for his parents and
> that's [snap] _it_, girlfriend.", but instead chose to
> torture the language and say what he did.

Bob Costas opening his mouth is like putting American English on the
rack.

> It was just such a simple and common sportscaster
> cliche ("Boy are the tickets tough for this one." "How
> tough are they?" "Well, Jim...") it struck me strange
> that it could be made so awkward.

That Thorpe boy sent my gaydar pinging, but that's no guarantee of
anything, seeing that he has SIZE 17 FEET.

Brian Kane

Sep 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/18/00
Tim Wilson:
>Tony Rzepela:

>>So what's Ian Thorpe's story?
>Size 17 shoes!

In Europe, they only go to 47 (American 13, British 12).
Poor Mr. Thorpe... no Bruno Magli shopping spree for
him!

Alex Elliott

Sep 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/19/00
In article <vnxPvBAA...@drummond.demon.co.uk>,

John Fisher <jo...@drummond.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Aussie Rules is definitely unique. But there's one other sporting event
>I will watch. For hours.
>
>The Tour de France.

The Boston/New York AIDS ride went right by my house this weekend.

Alex.

Alex Elliott

Sep 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/19/00
In article <8pu2cs$603$1...@news.ihug.co.nz>,

DRS <d...@removethis.ihug.com.au> wrote:

>What are you whingeing about? You aren't here.

I'm *always* here. It's all the rest of you that are somewhere else.

Alex.

John Dorrance

Sep 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/19/00

"Anthony J. Rzepela" wrote:

> John Dorrance (jhdo...@facstaff.wisc.edu) wrote:

> : "Anthony J. Rzepela" wrote:

> : > So what's Ian Thorpe's story? [...]

> : First you ask me about some actress on Sex in the City or whatever,
> : now about Ian Thorpe. Why do you pester me so, Tony? Why? I know
> : nothing of these things! Please leave me alone!!!

> Well, I looked Kim up in the MST3K Amazing Colossal
> Episode Guide, and it was definitely "Cattrall", and
> not a midwestern accent at work, so I've moved on.

Well, thanks for letting us know. Dickweed.

> But while we're on the topic, you're not being very
> helpful, you know. Is this another part of the soc.motss
> dynamic I've heard so much about?

Yes. I'm the one who is supposed to exude a quiet air of authority,
then completely demoralize anyone who expects me to perform as the
limitless fount of information I seem to be. It's another little way
we make the soc.motss experience as painful for the Other as possible.

John

Clay Colwell

Sep 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/19/00
Mike C <mike3k@nospam_suespammers.org> wrote:
> In article <8q5env$5...@netaxs.com>, rzep...@netaxs.com (Anthony J.
> Rzepela) wrote:

>> So what's Ian Thorpe's story? Bob Costas felt compelled to

>> mention over the weekend that IT couldn't even get his
>> very good (they're "very close", and apparently I missed
>> the video profile in which he was shown) male friend a
>> ticket to the main swimming event. Would a wannabe
>> butch-he-man sportscaster with a 90s sensitivity make
>> a fuss over an athlete not scoring a ticket for any old
>> roommate/buddy? I was confused.

> Is anyone else bothered by those wetsuits the swimmers are wearing this
> year?

Not at all. I actually enjoy the variety of swimwear styles,
trying to figure why one swimmer chose Speedo, while another
chose full-bodysuit, while another chose long-shorts, etc.

> The whole reason to watch swimming was to see their beautiful,
> well-developed chests.

For some. (OK, me included.)

> Why bother watching it if you never get to see any skin?

Which Olympics are you watching? I've seen *plenty* (including
Blaine Wilson, although his attitude puts me off a bit).

*sigh* Gymnastics has changed so much since my high-school
years. Those floor-exercise skills make my jaw drop.

Robert S. Coren

Sep 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/19/00
In article <8q7vi7$dqu$1...@news.doit.wisc.edu>,
Jess Anderson <ande...@facstaff.wisc.edu> wrote to John Dorrance:

>Now that you mention it, I *haven't* seen you and Jasper in the
>same room.

Well, nor have I, but I *have* seen them both, and if they're the same
person someone has done a most remarkable makeup job.

--
---Robert Coren (co...@spdcc.com)--(or try net instead of com)-------

"When angry, count four; when very angry, swear." -- Mark Twain

John Dorrance

Sep 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/19/00

Tim Wilson wrote:

> That Thorpe boy sent my gaydar pinging, but that's no guarantee of
> anything, seeing that he has SIZE 17 FEET.

No fair. He's got built-in flippers.

John

bethany

Sep 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/19/00
Clay Colwell shared thoughts on:

> *sigh* Gymnastics has changed so much since my high-school
> years. Those floor-exercise skills make my jaw drop.

my jaw could care less. my wrists scream in agony, however. not
to mention the cringing that occurs whenever someone lands slamming down
on the parallel bars - *that* has *got* to smart.

Bethany Ramirez http://www.amherst.edu/~bkramire/
bi...@homosexualmenace.com
"Tell me what you plan to do with your one wild and
precious life?" - Mary Oliver

Mike McKinley

Sep 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/19/00

Tim Wilson wrote:

> Mike McKinley wrote:
> > Tim Wilson wrote:
> > > Are they over yet?
> > > Thanks!

> > I hate sports.
> Our TV isn't hooked up!

Except watersports.

--
******************************
i love the idiot but hate the idiocy
Arnold Zwicky

Mike McKinley

Sep 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/19/00

"Anthony J. Rzepela" wrote:

> But while we're on the topic, you're not being very
> helpful, you know. Is this another part of the soc.motss
> dynamic I've heard so much about?

Darling, when one's delusions include having the finest ass on
earth, need you know more?

Mike McKinley

Sep 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/19/00

Tim Wilson wrote:

> A "wing ding" is a big deal, no?

Down here, it is a rather old-fashioned term for a party.

rich...@library.tmc.edu

Sep 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/19/00
On Mon, 18 Sep 2000 20:06:47 -0400, Mike C
<mike3k@NOSPAM_suespammers.org> wrote:

>Is anyone else bothered by those wetsuits the swimmers are wearing this
>year?

They're often standing around with their straps undone, so I've seen
plenty of peccage.

>The whole reason to watch swimming was to see their beautiful,

>well-developed chests. Why bother watching it if you never get to see
>any skin?

What really annoys ME is how the camera invariably shoots them from
the navel UP or from the knees DOWN. Occasionally we'll get a
full-body view, at which point you see the REAL reason they wear those
suits, i.e., every detail of their weenies / nads are completely
outlined and visible.

rpj

Clay Colwell

Sep 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/19/00
bethany <bkra...@unix.amherst.edu> wrote:
> Clay Colwell shared thoughts on:

>> *sigh* Gymnastics has changed so much since my high-school
>> years. Those floor-exercise skills make my jaw drop.

> my jaw could care less. my wrists scream in agony, however.

Heh. I was getting to a point where the backs of my
hands/wrists would get major pain twinges whenever I
did handsprings. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome? Doubt it, since
I never had a problem with typing.

It's the double-backs and multi-twists that get me. My
cochlea would be screaming "STOP THE INSANITY!"

> not
> to mention the cringing that occurs whenever someone lands slamming down
> on the parallel bars - *that* has *got* to smart.

Slamming into *any* piece of apparatus smarts, trust me on
this. Note that many of the gymnasts wear upper-arm cuffs
when doing parallel bars, to prevent bar rash.

bethany

Sep 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/19/00
Clay Colwell shared thoughts on:

> Slamming into *any* piece of apparatus smarts, trust me on

> this. Note that many of the gymnasts wear upper-arm cuffs
> when doing parallel bars, to prevent bar rash.

but not all, and i think they're insane.
cute, but insane :)

Richard Carlson

Sep 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/19/00
Anthony J. Rzepela (rzep...@netaxs.com) wrote:
> So what's Ian Thorpe's story? Bob Costas felt compelled to
> mention over the weekend that IT couldn't even get his
> very good (they're "very close", and apparently I missed
> the video profile in which he was shown) male friend a
> ticket to the main swimming event. Would a wannabe
> butch-he-man sportscaster with a 90s sensitivity make
> a fuss over an athlete not scoring a ticket for any old
> roommate/buddy? I was confused.

Sorry, but they're a *different* kind of family, owing to
their older siblings having married. That video profile
showed them being close like brothers; and his friend deserves
special mention because he has some form of cancer, and
spends much of his time in the hospital. In an interview
IT showed sensitivity and maturity by saying that no matter
how many competitions he wins or records he sets, those still
won't help get his friend out of the hospital.

-- Richard C. (not sure whether to be more embarrased by having
watched all that stuff, or by not remembering more of the details)

MJL

Sep 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/19/00
>my wrists scream in agony,

What surprised me is that high platform divers suffer so much wrist trauma upon
entering the water.

--
End America's War on Drugs
Vote for Freedom

C.L. Lassiter

Sep 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/19/00
Tim Wilson <wils...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> Are they over yet?

> Thanks!

Er, I'm enjoying them--except for Bob Costas'
reporting. Though when we hit track and field, I'll be pretty bored
(except for rooting for former UNC star, Marion Jones).

Do I still get to keep my Queer Card?

cl

Clay Colwell

Sep 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/19/00
C.L. Lassiter <sea...@email.unc.edu> wrote:
> Tim Wilson <wils...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>> Are they over yet?

>> Thanks!

> Er, I'm enjoying them--except for Bob Costas'
> reporting.

OhGodyes. I could live a long and fruitful (heh) life
without having to hear Bob Costas or Katie Couric natter
on in their self-satisfied manners.

> Though when we hit track and field, I'll be pretty bored
> (except for rooting for former UNC star, Marion Jones).

> Do I still get to keep my Queer Card?

Nope. You have to send it to me, post haste! (I
lost mine to an ignorance on the proper mixture
of twill and chiffon.)

Mike Reaser

Sep 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/19/00
Robert S. Coren <co...@spdcc.com> wrote:
> Jess Anderson <ande...@facstaff.wisc.edu> wrote to John Dorrance:
>>Now that you mention it, I *haven't* seen you and Jasper in the
>>same room.

> Well, nor have I, but I *have* seen them both, and if they're the same
> person someone has done a most remarkable makeup job.

Not only that, but *someone* would have had to have perfected the
"Wash hot, tumble dry high"/"Sprinkle with Miracle-Gro" procedures
for the Richard->John/John->Richard transitions.

-- Mike Reaser, Atl., GA B2f+tw+cdvg+kvs++l+ aka HickBear on IRC
ICQ 3617758 mhr (at) photobooks.com or spdcc.com or mindspring.com

If at first you don't succeed, the bomb squad is a bad career option

Robert S. Coren

Sep 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/19/00
In article <jtOx5.34628$XT1.5...@news5.giganews.com>,

Clay Colwell <er...@io.com> wrote:
>C.L. Lassiter <sea...@email.unc.edu> wrote:
>> Tim Wilson <wils...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>>> Are they over yet?
>
>>> Thanks!
>
>> Er, I'm enjoying them--except for Bob Costas'
>> reporting.
>
>OhGodyes. I could live a long and fruitful (heh) life
>without having to hear Bob Costas or Katie Couric natter
>on in their self-satisfied manners.

Which brings us to a side benefit of the Olympics for the educated
baseball fan: Because Costas is busy in Sydney, NBC's postseason
play-by-play (at least some of it) will be done by Boston's own Sean
McDonough.

--
---Robert Coren (co...@spdcc.com)--(or try net instead of com)-------

"Climate is what we expect, weather is what we get." -- R. A. Heinlein

Mike McKinley

Sep 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/19/00

Clay Colwell wrote:

> *sigh* Gymnastics has changed so much since my high-school
> years.

And they've put a man on the moon, too.

Clay Colwell

Sep 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/19/00
Mike McKinley <mp...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:

> Clay Colwell wrote:

>> *sigh* Gymnastics has changed so much since my high-school
>> years.

> And they've put a man on the moon, too.

Is this where I'm supposed to waggle my cane?

I didn't stay with gymnastics, bowing out in my college
years for a few reasons, one being injuries and another
being thoroughly cowed by the state of the sport. (That
and being scared shitless at the idea of doing double-flips.)

Maybe I could take it up again; a friend of mine recently
reminded me that a thing worth doing is a thing worth doing,
whether it be badly or well.

John Dorrance

Sep 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/19/00

Mike McKinley wrote:

> "Anthony J. Rzepela" wrote:

> > But while we're on the topic, you're not being very
> > helpful, you know. Is this another part of the soc.motss
> > dynamic I've heard so much about?

> Darling, when one's delusions include having the finest ass on
> earth, need you know more?

DELUSIONS??? I shall never forgive you.

John

John Dorrance

Sep 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/19/00

Jess Anderson wrote:

> John Dorrance:

> >Yes. I'm the one who is supposed to exude a quiet air of
> >authority,

> The quiet part needs some work, but you've got the exuding air
> part down to perfection.

How rude! I'm agassed.

John

Tim Wilson

Sep 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/19/00
Mike McKinley wrote:

> Tim Wilson wrote:
>
> > A "wing ding" is a big deal, no?
>
> Down here, it is a rather old-fashioned term for a party.

Which, of course, is what I meant. A big old whoop-ti-do.

Tim Wilson

Sep 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/19/00
Mike McKinley wrote:

> Tim Wilson wrote:
>
> > Mike McKinley wrote:
> > > I hate sports.
> > Our TV isn't hooked up!
>
> Except watersports.

My momma has a TV. She and my daddy were friends with Rowdy Gaines's
(NBC's swiming color commentator) mother and her husband.

Rowdy and I shared a fold-out couch one night when we were, oh, 10 and
12 or something like that, so I get to think "I slept with an Olympic
gold medal winner".

DRS

Sep 19, 2000, 3:09:32 PM9/19/00
"Richard Carlson" <r...@fc.hp.com> wrote in message

> Anthony J. Rzepela (rzep...@netaxs.com) wrote:
> > So what's Ian Thorpe's story? Bob Costas felt compelled to
> > mention over the weekend that IT couldn't even get his
> > very good (they're "very close", and apparently I missed
> > the video profile in which he was shown) male friend a
> > ticket to the main swimming event. Would a wannabe
> > butch-he-man sportscaster with a 90s sensitivity make
> > a fuss over an athlete not scoring a ticket for any old
> > roommate/buddy? I was confused.
>
> Sorry, but they're a *different* kind of family, owing to
> their older siblings having married. That video profile
> showed them being close like brothers; and his friend deserves
> special mention because he has some form of cancer, and
> spends much of his time in the hospital. In an interview
> IT showed sensitivity and maturity by saying that no matter
> how many competitions he wins or records he sets, those still
> won't help get his friend out of the hospital.

The friend in question's name is Michael Williams, he's 14, and he suffers
from non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, a cancer which affects the glandular system.
He was poolside for Thorpe's heats but not the final. He and Thorpe have
been close friends for about six years.

--
"a sweet young child, brought up in a well-to-do family, sent to an
exclusive school, graduating in law and entering parliament almost
invariably turns into a prick."
Red Symons

David W. Fenton

Sep 19, 2000, 10:03:06 PM9/19/00
mp...@mail.utexas.edu (Mike McKinley) wrote in
<39C7A4F2...@mail.utexas.edu>:

>"Anthony J. Rzepela" wrote:
>
>> But while we're on the topic, you're not being very
>> helpful, you know. Is this another part of the soc.motss
>> dynamic I've heard so much about?
>
> Darling, when one's delusions include having the finest ass on
>earth, need you know more?

This no doubt constitutes an authoritative answer to the question.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.bway.net/~dfenton
dfenton at bway dot net http://www.bway.net/~dfassoc

Mike McManus

Sep 20, 2000, 1:15:06 AM9/20/00

And the added benefit is the more bearish (to be precise, otterish)
of the swimmers don't need to shave with the new suits, if I
understand their purpose correctly. A definite plus for comfort,
albeit a minus for visibility.

Mike McKinley

Sep 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/20/00

John Dorrance wrote:

> Mike McKinley wrote:
> > "Anthony J. Rzepela" wrote:
> > > But while we're on the topic, you're not being very
> > > helpful, you know. Is this another part of the soc.motss
> > > dynamic I've heard so much about?
> > Darling, when one's delusions include having the finest ass on
> > earth, need you know more?

> DELUSIONS??? I shall never forgive you.

But will you sleep with me?
--
******************************
I am a camera, with the shutter open, quite passive.

Clay Colwell

Sep 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/20/00
Mike McManus <mmcm...@frontiernet.net> wrote:

> And the added benefit is the more bearish (to be precise, otterish)
> of the swimmers don't need to shave with the new suits, if I
> understand their purpose correctly.

*Have* there been any? Perhaps they should come up with
a formulation that would create a transparent bodysuit.

That would be tres affected, though.

John Dorrance

Sep 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/20/00

Mike McKinley wrote:

> John Dorrance wrote:

> > Mike McKinley wrote:
> > > Darling, when one's delusions include having the finest ass on
> > > earth, need you know more?
> > DELUSIONS??? I shall never forgive you.

> But will you sleep with me?

Bumping purses is only fun for so long, and I'm afraid to fuck you.

John

Mike McKinley

Sep 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/20/00

John Dorrance wrote:

You should be incredibly afraid. The next man to fuck me must needs be
the Anti-Christ and it will usher in the End of Days.
Puckering it up *just* *for* *YOU*!

Ann Burlingham

Sep 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/21/00
Clay Colwell wrote:

> I didn't stay with gymnastics, bowing out in my college
> years for a few reasons, one being injuries and another
> being thoroughly cowed by the state of the sport. (That
> and being scared shitless at the idea of doing double-flips.)

Hm. Swashbuckling's right out, then?

Clay Colwell

Sep 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/21/00

Hmph. I can still swing on a rope, and I'm not an
absolute duffer at fencing. And I just *love*
those dandy black leather boots!

Clay Colwell

Sep 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/21/00
Jess Anderson <ande...@facstaff.wisc.edu> wrote:

> Clay Colwell:
>>Ann Burlingham:

>>>Hm. Swashbuckling's right out, then?

>>Hmph. I can still swing on a rope, and I'm not an absolute
>>duffer at fencing. And I just *love* those dandy black leather
>>boots!

> What about seasickness? And living in a cave?

I've never been seasick.
And I work in a cubicle, which is effectively the same
as living in a cave. So those 2 bases are covered.

Mike McKinley

Sep 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/21/00

Jess Anderson wrote:

> Clay Colwell:
> >Jess Anderson:

> >>Clay Colwell:
> >> What about seasickness? And living in a cave?
> >I've never been seasick. And I work in a cubicle, which is
> >effectively the same as living in a cave. So those 2 bases are
> >covered.

> Ah, all is well: what's left, then, Blackbeard, is for you to
> board my frigate in search of booty.

Okay, all you Canajuns out there:
(singing, to the tune of "The North Altantic Squadron")
"The Cabin Boy, the Cabin Boy! The dirty little nipper!
He stuffed his ass with broken glass and circumcised the
skipper!
Away, away with the fife and drum. Here we come, full of
rum..."

Edgar J. Lawrence II

Sep 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/21/00
In article <0mNx5.24032$SN6.5...@news4.giganews.com>,
Clay Colwell <er...@io.com> wrote:

> bethany <bkra...@unix.amherst.edu> wrote:
> > Clay Colwell shared thoughts on:
>
> >> *sigh* Gymnastics has changed so much since my high-school
> >> years. Those floor-exercise skills make my jaw drop.
>
> > my jaw could care less. my wrists scream in agony, however.
>
> Heh. I was getting to a point where the backs of my
> hands/wrists would get major pain twinges whenever I
> did handsprings. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome? [snip]

I got about 10 times as many hits with "carpal..." as I
did with "carpel...", and I seemed to have more medical
site hits with the former, so that must be the correct
spelling. Nevertheless, there does seem to be a
significant minority spelling it "carpel". Perhaps it's
just a misspelling that other people picked up. What
will it matter 100 years from now? (world-weary sigh)

Edgar

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Edgar J. Lawrence II

Sep 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/21/00
In article <39C7A755...@mail.utexas.edu>,

mp...@mail.utexas.edu wrote:

> Tim Wilson wrote:
>
> > A "wing ding" is a big deal, no?
>
> Down here, it is a rather old-fashioned term for a party.

Is it less rowdy than a wang-dang-doodle? More?
About the same?

Chris Ambidge

Sep 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/22/00

[jess, to clay]

>> Ah, all is well: what's left, then, Blackbeard, is for you to
>> board my frigate in search of booty.

[mikey]

> Okay, all you Canajuns out there:
> (singing, to the tune of "The North Altantic Squadron")

[what do you mean, "to the tune of 'the north atlantic
squadron' ? this IS 'the north atlantic squadron']

> "The Cabin Boy, the Cabin Boy! The dirty little nipper!
> He stuffed his ass with broken glass and circumcised the
>skipper!

for the rhymes to work properly and for that proper NASq
feel, that should be pronounced "stuffed his ARSE with broken glass"

> Away, away with the fife and drum.
>Here we come, full of rum...

...looking for trouble and finding us some
in the North Atlantic Squadron

There was an old whore from Montreal
who spread her legs from wall to wall,
but all she got was sweet fuck all
from the North Atlantic Squadron

Away, away with fife and drum...

the cabin boy, the cabin boy,
the dirty little nipper,
he lined his bum with bubble gum
and vulcanized the skipper

Away, away with fife and drum...

there are N verses, where N is a very large number, but
those are the only ones I can remember at the moment.

Chris
wondering what this has to do with Clay buckling my swash, but
who is prepared to try most things to prepare for that eventuality
--
Chris Ambidge =|= chemist by day, panda by night
chris....@utoronto.ca =|= amb...@ecf.utoronto.ca

rich...@library.tmc.edu

Sep 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/22/00
On Fri, 15 Sep 2000 16:33:09 -0400, Tim Wilson
<wils...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>Are they over yet?
>
>Thanks!

Aside from the fact that they've dried up the supply of good movies on
channels like AMC and TCM, which have apparently decided not to fight
it, I haven't been displeased.

Except for the incredibly awful announcers and those "It's Morning in
America" Reaganesque segments on the athletes.

rpj

rich...@library.tmc.edu

Sep 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/22/00
On Mon, 18 Sep 2000 02:07:01 GMT, co...@spdcc.com (Robert S. Coren)
wrote:

>I guess you're including in the category of "instructor" those who
>teach by example.

I'm working on the syllabus at the moment.

rpj

who might be able to pay for those Xmas presents after all...

rich...@library.tmc.edu

Sep 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/22/00
On Tue, 19 Sep 2000 20:35:04 -0400, Tim Wilson
<wils...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>Rowdy and I shared a fold-out couch one night when we were, oh, 10 and
>12 or something like that, so I get to think "I slept with an Olympic
>gold medal winner".

My mother's maiden name was "Mann." One of her best friends growing up
was Dot, an almost cousin. My mom and her siblings used to stay with
Dot's family and vice versa. When I was a kid Dot always loved to say,
"Your momma was the first Mann I ever slept with." Drove my mother to
distraction, which I very much appreciated! :-)

rpj

rich...@library.tmc.edu

Sep 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/22/00
wrote:

>"Tim Wilson" <wils...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

>> So is "whinge".
>
>It's no bigger than whine

Hello! What are you talking about?

"Whine" is only five letters long; "whinge" is at least 20 percent
bigger, depending on the font.

rpj

rich...@library.tmc.edu

Sep 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/22/00
On Tue, 19 Sep 2000 11:50:27 -0600, Mike McKinley
<mp...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:

>Tim Wilson wrote:
>
>> A "wing ding" is a big deal, no?
>
> Down here, it is a rather old-fashioned term for a party.

As opposed to a wingnut, which is a term reserved for, oh, I dunno,
90% of elected officials in Texas?

rpj

rich...@library.tmc.edu

Sep 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/22/00
On 19 Sep 2000 18:11:08 GMT, Mike Reaser
<m...@photobooks.photobooks.com> wrote:

>Robert S. Coren <co...@spdcc.com> wrote:
>> Jess Anderson <ande...@facstaff.wisc.edu> wrote to John Dorrance:
>>>Now that you mention it, I *haven't* seen you and Jasper in the
>>>same room.
>
>> Well, nor have I, but I *have* seen them both, and if they're the same
>> person someone has done a most remarkable makeup job.
>
>Not only that, but *someone* would have had to have perfected the
>"Wash hot, tumble dry high"/"Sprinkle with Miracle-Gro" procedures
>for the Richard->John/John->Richard transitions.

You mean he's NOT 5'10 1/2" tall and two hundred and, uh,
something-ending-in-zero pounds?

rpj

rich...@library.tmc.edu

Sep 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/22/00
On Tue, 19 Sep 2000 11:40:15 -0600, Mike McKinley
<mp...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:

>"Anthony J. Rzepela" wrote:
>
>> But while we're on the topic, you're not being very
>> helpful, you know. Is this another part of the soc.motss
>> dynamic I've heard so much about?
>
> Darling, when one's delusions include having the finest ass on
>earth, need you know more?

The finest ass on earth belongs to our friend Guillermo, who lives
here in Houston.

rpj

rich...@library.tmc.edu

Sep 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/22/00
On Mon, 18 Sep 2000 20:38:27 -0400, Tim Wilson
<wils...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>"Anthony J. Rzepela" wrote:
>>
>> John Dorrance (jhdo...@facstaff.wisc.edu) wrote:
>> :

>> : Tim Wilson wrote:
>> :
>> : > Are they over yet?
>> :
>> : > Thanks!

>> :
>> : Hush your mouth. The wrestling hasn't even started yet.

>> So what's Ian Thorpe's story?
>

>Size 17 shoes!

Oh! Is HE the one?

Mercy.

rpj

rich...@library.tmc.edu

Sep 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/22/00
On 19 Sep 2000 17:22:56 GMT, "C.L. Lassiter" <sea...@email.unc.edu>
wrote:

>Tim Wilson <wils...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>> Are they over yet?
>
>> Thanks!
>

> Er, I'm enjoying them--except for Bob Costas'
>reporting. Though when we hit track and field, I'll be pretty bored
>(except for rooting for former UNC star, Marion Jones).

I've watched them intermittently, J. has become quite a fan, having
resolutely ignored them at previous times in his life.

As I pointed out to Mary, the women's weightlifting was cool. Sonia
Gimenez of Mexico was awesome. Ditto, I actually enjoyed watching the
last segment of the men's triathlon; the Canadian boy who won the gold
totally broke down in tears when he was on the medalists' dais, which
was reassuringly *un*macho, I thought.

Did you catch the women's gymnastics last night? Four of the world's
best women's gymnasts blew their vaults and THEN they found out that
the vault beam was 5 centimeters too low! Ditto, contestants
apparently had been complaining all day about the mat for the floor
exercises, saying that it ws too hard and not lacking the proper
amount of spring. One woman tripped and another fell flat on her ass.
Truly appalling to see greate athletes fail because of a (possibly)
fucked up venue.

rpj

Robert S. Coren

Sep 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/22/00

Clay Colwell <er...@io.com> wrote:
>C.L. Lassiter <sea...@email.unc.edu> wrote:
>> Tim Wilson <wils...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>>> Are they over yet?
>
>>> Thanks!
>
>> Er, I'm enjoying them--except for Bob Costas'
>> reporting.
>
>OhGodyes. I could live a long and fruitful (heh) life
>without having to hear Bob Costas or Katie Couric natter
>on in their self-satisfied manners.

Not that anyone cares, but I believe I posted some misinformation in
response to this -- although I can't find the article, so maybe it
never made it out there. Anyway, I congratulated baseball fans on the
fact that Costas would be unavailable for at least some of NBC's
postseason coverage, which I believe is true; but some brain-bubble
seems to have convinced me that his place was to be taken by Red Sox
play-by-play man Sean McDonough. This was wishful thinking; it's
actually Atlanta play-by-play man Skip Caray, who will surely be more
entertaining than Costas.
--
---Robert Coren (co...@spdcc.com)--(or try net instead of com)-------
"Being eaten by a hyena is not as bad as it sounds."

Clay Colwell

Sep 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/22/00
Jess Anderson <ande...@facstaff.wisc.edu> wrote:
> Clay Colwell:
>>Jess Anderson:
>>>Clay Colwell:

>>> What about seasickness? And living in a cave?

>>I've never been seasick. And I work in a cubicle, which is
>>effectively the same as living in a cave. So those 2 bases are
>>covered.

> Ah, all is well: what's left, then, Blackbeard, is for you to

> board my frigate in search of booty.

I found it, but all I found there were pieces-of-eight.
Rather than be the ninth, I skedaddled.

henry mensch

Sep 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/22/00

"Clay Colwell" <er...@io.com> wrote in message

> Mike McManus <mmcm...@frontiernet.net> wrote:
>
> > And the added benefit is the more bearish (to be precise, otterish)
> > of the swimmers don't need to shave with the new suits
>
> *Have* there been any? Perhaps they should come up with
> a formulation that would create a transparent bodysuit.

haven't seen any to date ... i think, to get any of this, you have to
wait for wrestling to start (night of 23rd september, as i remember
... )

Boy WeHo

Sep 22, 2000, 11:49:30 PM9/22/00
Chris Ambidge wrote:
> what do you mean, "to the tune of 'the north atlantic
> squadron' ? this IS 'the north atlantic squadron'

hehehe... pretty funny... found a page w/ a lot of lyrics, but not
necessarily all the ones you listed... kinda like yours better...

<http://gthhh.com/hymnal/hym199.htm>

Sincerely,
http://profiles.yahoo.com/BoyWeHo =)

Ann Burlingham

Sep 26, 2000, 2:49:39 AM9/26/00
Clay Colwell wrote:
> Jess Anderson <ande...@facstaff.wisc.edu> wrote:
[swashblucking]

> > What about seasickness? And living in a cave?
>
> I've never been seasick.
> And I work in a cubicle, which is effectively the same
> as living in a cave. So those 2 bases are covered.

How do you feel about rum, sodomy, and the lash?

Chris Ambidge

Sep 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/26/00
[jess, on swashbuckling]

>> > What about seasickness? And living in a cave?
[zerrubabel colwell -- now THERE's a pirate name for you]
>> I've never been seasick.
>> And I work in a cubicle, which is effectively the same
>> as living in a cave. So those 2 bases are covered.
[and a nnb asked the key question]

>How do you feel about rum, sodomy, and the lash?

I can't speak for Cap'n Zerrubabel, of course, but of the
three I'm not overly fond of rum.

back in my younger days, experimenting with hard liquor,
I could never get past the flavour/odour of either rum or gin.
And of course Navy Rum is pretty darn potent.

Pieces of eight!

Chris
having a lovely time visualising Clay with an eyepatch, big gold hoop
earrings, a parrot on one shoulder, a sabre, and of course those fancy
big black leather boots.

Clay Colwell

Sep 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/26/00

One out of three ain't bad.

Clay Colwell

Sep 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/26/00
Jess Anderson <ande...@facstaff.wisc.edu> wrote:
> Chris Ambidge:

>>Chris
>>having a lovely time visualising Clay with an eyepatch, big gold hoop
>>earrings, a parrot on one shoulder, a sabre, and of course those fancy
>>big black leather boots.

> And not a stitch else!

A pierced shoulder -- how novel.

-- Clay, who's not going to ask just how he's supposed
to wear the saber

David W. Fenton

Sep 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/26/00
an...@concentric.net (Ann Burlingham) wrote in
<39D049F4...@concentric.net>:

Sounds like a party to me.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.bway.net/~dfenton
dfenton at bway dot net http://www.bway.net/~dfassoc

henry mensch

Sep 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/26/00

"Jess Anderson" <ande...@facstaff.wisc.edu> wrote in message
> Sabers are not for wearing; they're for brandishing, slashing
> and running through. Didn't you learn that at Pirate School?

"pirate school dropout ... no graduation day for you!"

DRS

Sep 26, 2000, 11:08:57 AM9/26/00

> Chris Ambidge:
>
> >Chris
> >having a lovely time visualising Clay with an eyepatch, big gold hoop
> >earrings, a parrot on one shoulder, a sabre, and of course those fancy
> >big black leather boots.
>
> And not a stitch else!

Yup. Sure gets hot on the Briny Main.

--
"a sweet young child, brought up in a well-to-do family, sent to an
exclusive school, graduating in law and entering parliament almost
invariably turns into a prick."
Red Symons

C.L. Lassiter

Sep 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/27/00
Jess Anderson <ande...@facstaff.wisc.edu> wrote:

> Clay Colwell:
>>Jess Anderson
>>>Chris Ambidge:

>>A pierced shoulder -- how novel.

> But my dear, pirates are *butch* and do not wince at minor
> pains like a few talons in the shoulder; compared to a dirk
> between the shoulder blades or a bullet in the bowel, talons
> are a decidedly minor hazard of the pirating trade.

Darling, you have never met my parrots. Talons decidedly
minor? Ha!

cl, wincing at the thought

Scott Carpenter

Sep 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/27/00
On 27 Sep 2000 01:02:46 GMT, ande...@facstaff.wisc.edu (Jess
Anderson) wrote:

>compared to a dirk
>between the shoulder blades

I read this as "compared to a dick between the shoulder blades" and
couldn't imagine why that would be considered a hazard. Poor aim?

John Dorrance

Sep 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/27/00

Scott Carpenter wrote:

> ande...@facstaff.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) wrote:

> >compared to a dirk
> >between the shoulder blades

> I read this as "compared to a dick between the shoulder blades" and
> couldn't imagine why that would be considered a hazard. Poor aim?

If it goes that far up, you probably shouldn't have sat on it.

John

Scott Carpenter

Sep 27, 2000, 8:03:02 PM9/27/00
On 27 Sep 2000 22:47:26 GMT, ande...@facstaff.wisc.edu (Jess
Anderson) wrote:

>Well, it wouldn't be if he were wearing his cuirass.

I got two definitions of that:

1 : a piece of armor covering the body from neck to waist; also : the
breastplate of such a piece
2 : something (as bony plates covering an animal) resembling a cuirass

Most people I know don't have bony plates, and I wouldn't want to see
anyone naked that did. That leaves the armor, and - while I love a
man in uniform as much as the next guy - I think I'd rather not.

Clay Colwell

Sep 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/28/00
Jess Anderson <ande...@facstaff.wisc.edu> wrote:

> Clay Colwell:
>>Jess Anderson:
>>>Clay Colwell:

>>>Ah, all is well: what's left, then, Blackbeard, is for you to
>>>board my frigate in search of booty.

>>I found it, but all I found there were pieces-of-eight.

> No bullion?

I didn't find any. If there *were* some to be found
there, in fact, then me thou shalt dub "loon".

>>Rather than be the ninth, I skedaddled.

> Hmph, boarded without a trace... Damn stealth pirates!

I thought it was common courtesy to clean up
after cleaning out.

Clay Colwell

Sep 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/28/00
Jess Anderson <ande...@facstaff.wisc.edu> wrote:

> Clay Colwell:

>>-- Clay, who's not going to ask just how he's supposed
>> to wear the saber

> Sabers are not for wearing; they're for brandishing, slashing

> and running through. Didn't you learn that at Pirate School?

They taught us to use *two* hands for the rope-swinging.

Chris Ambidge

Sep 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/28/00
[i seem to have saddled clay with a sabre he's not sure
how to handle...]

>>>-- Clay, who's not going to ask just how he's supposed
>>> to wear the saber
>
>> Sabers are not for wearing; they're for brandishing, slashing
>> and running through. Didn't you learn that at Pirate School?
>
>They taught us to use *two* hands for the rope-swinging.

sabre between teeth (think: rose, when flamenco dancing)
when swinging down rope; in one hand waving it about for
conversational emphasis when both feet on a solid surface.

and of course you can descend from the top of the mast without
rope if the sails are up - stab the sail, and jump; descending
as yr sabre rips the sail from top to bottom. Lots of work
for the sailmaker in repair, but *fabulous* theatre.

Chris

Edgar J. Lawrence II

Sep 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/28/00
In article <dHLA5.36858$A4.11...@news1.giganews.com>,

Clay Colwell <er...@io.com> wrote:
> Jess Anderson <ande...@facstaff.wisc.edu> wrote:
>
> > Clay Colwell:
>
> >>-- Clay, who's not going to ask just how he's supposed
> >> to wear the saber
>
> > Sabers are not for wearing; they're for brandishing, slashing
> > and running through. Didn't you learn that at Pirate School?
>
> They taught us to use *two* hands for the rope-swinging.

Yes, and one puts one's cutlass (a saber is a cavalry weapon)
between one's teeth.

Edgar

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Edgar J. Lawrence II

Sep 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/28/00
In article <8qqe7i$p0j$1...@news.ihug.co.nz>,
"DRS" <d...@removethis.ihug.com.au> wrote:
[snip]

> Yup. Sure gets hot on the Briny Main.

Let's see.....which one of Marjorie's siblings is Briny?

Mike McKinley

Sep 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/29/00

"C.L. Lassiter" wrote:

> Darling, you have never met my parrots. Talons decidedly
> minor? Ha!
> cl, wincing at the thought

Darling! I must get Lola a pedicure.

--
******************************
I am a camera, with the shutter open, quite passive.
Christopher Isherwood

MeanMary

Sep 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/29/00
Clay Colwell (er...@io.com) wrote:
: Jess Anderson <ande...@facstaff.wisc.edu> wrote:
: > clay wrote
: >>-- Clay, who's not going to ask just how he's supposed
: >> to wear the saber

oooh. Sabers.

: > Sabers are not for wearing; they're for brandishing, slashing

: > and running through. Didn't you learn that at Pirate School?

oooooooohhhh. Pirate School

: They taught us to use *two* hands for the rope-swinging.

and rope-swinging?!

I'd swoon if I weren't so butch.

MeanMary
--
Copyright 2000 Mary Ballard // I do not speak for Appalachian State U.
// ball...@am.appstate.edu - Kiai!

Mike McKinley

Oct 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/2/00

MeanMary wrote:

> Clay Colwell (er...@io.com) wrote:
> : Jess Anderson <ande...@facstaff.wisc.edu> wrote:
> : > clay wrote
> : >>-- Clay, who's not going to ask just how he's supposed
> : >> to wear the saber
> oooh. Sabers.

Isn't it spelled "sabre?"
--
******************************
Sometimes I go about pitying myself, while I am being carried by the wind

Robert S. Coren

Oct 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/2/00
In article <39D8ABDB...@mail.utexas.edu>,

Mike McKinley <mp...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:

>MeanMary wrote:
>
>> Clay Colwell (er...@io.com) wrote:
>> : Jess Anderson <ande...@facstaff.wisc.edu> wrote:
>> : > clay wrote
>> : >>-- Clay, who's not going to ask just how he's supposed
>> : >> to wear the saber
>> oooh. Sabers.
>
> Isn't it spelled "sabre?"

Depends on which side of the (conceptual) Atlantic you're on.

--
---Robert Coren (co...@spdcc.com)--(or try net instead of com)-------

"The optative passive rocks!" --Jeffrey William McKeough

It is loading more messages.