How many motss people are no longer around? The strategy of getting tested together before having sex.

0 views
Skip to first unread message

dsa...@zurich.csail.mit.edu

unread,
Aug 9, 2005, 5:12:34 PM8/9/05
to
How many motss people are no longer around?... since that time we began
going back and forth about the thought experiment regarding the
strategy of getting tested together before having sex for sexually
transmitted infections.

Maybe something could be seen with respect to their deaths and the
strategy of getting tested together before having sex.

Arne Adolfsen

unread,
Aug 10, 2005, 1:51:39 AM8/10/05
to

And who, exactly, are you to ask this question?

Thank you. Like I haven't sent responses to you answer on-line. God
forbid that you read fucking newspapers.

Arne
adol...@earthlink.net

FUCK OFF

Bock

unread,
Aug 10, 2005, 2:34:20 AM8/10/05
to
dsa...@gnu.org wrote:

I can't think of anyone who would get tested before having sex except
dumb people
considering bearbacking. Everyone else on the planet would practice
safe sex.

Dan, maybe you could write a short script of two people meeting and how
the conversation would go
after dinner, after a movie, after lunch, after the bar closed how two
people go looking for a clinic
that is open to get an immediate test and results before the sun comes
up in the morning.

If an idea isn't practical, it doesn't work.

But don't get me wrong. I love your posts.

Don Saklad

unread,
Aug 10, 2005, 4:29:34 AM8/10/05
to
How many motss people are no longer around?... since that time we
began going back and forth about the thought experiment regarding
the strategy of getting tested together before having sex for
sexually transmitted infections.

Maybe something could be seen with respect to their deaths and
the strategy of getting tested together before having sex.

> And who, exactly, are you to ask this question?

I think thought experiments can come from anybody,
that thought experiments can be encouraged. There are
people reading these correspondences that have had
experiences with suppression and suppressing others.

> Thank you. Like I haven't sent responses to you answer on-line. God
> forbid that you read fucking newspapers.
> Arne

> adolf...@earthlink.net
>
> FUCK OFF

Other than metalevel responses like this, I look for
comment that goes to the more meaty parts of these
exchanges.

Don Saklad

unread,
Aug 10, 2005, 4:31:12 AM8/10/05
to
> Bock <electronicmailfixtos...@telus.net>
> dsak...@gnu.org wrote:

How many motss people are no longer around?... since that time we
began going back and forth about the thought experiment regarding
the strategy of getting tested together before having sex for
sexually transmitted infections.

Maybe something could be seen with respect to their deaths and
the strategy of getting tested together before having sex.

> I can't think of anyone who would get tested before having sex
> except dumb people considering bearbacking. Everyone else on
> the planet would practice safe sex.

Note. The correct term is always... safer.
There's never zero risk.


> Dan, maybe you could write a short script of two people
> meeting and how the conversation would go after dinner, after
> a movie, after lunch, after the bar closed how two people go
> looking for a clinic that is open to get an immediate test and
> results before the sun comes up in the morning.
>
> If an idea isn't practical, it doesn't work.
>
> But don't get me wrong. I love your posts.

At an AIDS Action Committee http://www.aac.org
community event I mentioned the thought experiment,
"I would get tested together with my next potential
sex partner before having sex." I met several guys.
Afterward, one guy telephoned, "Let's get tested
together tomorrow morning."

Two days later we got tested together at the STD clinic.
We were first when they opened that morning.
Two weeks later in the afternoon we went back.
Our tests hadn't detected anything that morning.
Making a beeline, we headed home!


See also
http://www.mgh.harvard.edu/id/mghstd.html
http://www.fenwayhealth.org

Here's a collaborative blog about the strategy
http://NotB4WeKnow.EditThisPage.com

Eric Bohlman

unread,
Aug 10, 2005, 4:40:00 AM8/10/05
to
Bock <electronicm...@telus.net> wrote in news:42F99F99.1904E814
@telus.net:

> Dan, maybe you could write a short script of two people meeting and how
> the conversation would go
> after dinner, after a movie, after lunch, after the bar closed how two
> people go looking for a clinic
> that is open to get an immediate test and results before the sun comes
> up in the morning.
>
> If an idea isn't practical, it doesn't work.

Dank Loads is writing from the perspective of someone who only wants to
have sex within a Relationship. Therefore, the partners can wait for the
results while they're making the arrangement to move in. Classic case of
micro-optimization: address one of the least likely sources of HIV
transmission, and minimize it to hell. If everyone followed his
prescriptions, we might be able to reduce HIV transmission by 0.5%-1%.

Don Saklad

unread,
Aug 10, 2005, 5:56:15 AM8/10/05
to
>Bock <electronicmailfixtos...@telus.net>

>> Dan, maybe you could write a short script of two people meeting
>> and how the conversation would go after dinner, after a movie,
>> after lunch, after the bar closed how two people go looking for
>> a clinic that is open to get an immediate test and results
>> before the sun comes up in the morning.
>> If an idea isn't practical, it doesn't work.
>
>Dank Loads is writing from the perspective of someone who only wants
>to have sex within a Relationship.

It's from the perspective that people have multiple
partners. People do make claims about having more multiple
partners, practicing so called safer sex.


> Therefore, the partners can wait for the results while they're making
> the arrangement to move in.

Potential sex partners can live out other scenarios.




> Classic case of micro-optimization: address one of the least likely
> sources of HIV transmission, and minimize it to hell.

People in relationships have cheated, and minimized it.


> If everyone followed his prescriptions, we might be able to reduce HIV
> transmission by 0.5%-1%.

> Eric Bohlman <ebohl...@omsdev.com>

The strategy worked for the blood supply.

If a portion of the population followed the strategy of


getting tested together before having sex for sexually

transmitted infections we'd wipe out epidemic STIs.

For the potential sex partners it doesn't matter
whether other people follow the strategy.

_______________________________________________________
How did that calculation come about? Here are
few more imagined numbers

. ________
MI \|37o83+6

Reference
Fritz Lang's espionage epic
Spies

Spione
1928
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0019415/
http://www.kino.com/video/item.php?film_id=729

Arne Adolfsen

unread,
Aug 10, 2005, 8:10:47 AM8/10/05
to

What are you talking about? Fuck off. BTW, I'm mortified that the GNU
people host you. <shiver>

Arne
adol...@earthlink.net

KLS

unread,
Aug 10, 2005, 9:20:19 AM8/10/05
to
On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 06:34:20 GMT, Bock
<electronicm...@telus.net> wrote:
>
>I can't think of anyone who would get tested before having sex except
>dumb people
>considering bearbacking. Everyone else on the planet would practice
>safe sex.

Hello? Been to Africa lately?

dsa...@zurich.csail.mit.edu

unread,
Aug 10, 2005, 10:04:31 AM8/10/05
to
.
A classic kill the messenger reaction.

dsa...@zurich.csail.mit.edu

unread,
Aug 10, 2005, 10:11:34 AM8/10/05
to
Arne Adolfsen wrote:
> "dsa...@gnu.org" wrote:
> >
> > How many motss people are no longer around?... since that time we began
> > going back and forth about the thought experiment regarding the
> > strategy of getting tested together before having sex for sexually
> > transmitted infections.
> >
> > Maybe something could be seen with respect to their deaths and the
> > strategy of getting tested together before having sex.

You mean there are rules you don't know about
for asking questions and limitations for
asking questions. And do you need special
credentials to ask questions like do you
have to be black or a woman or an immigrant?

>
> And who, exactly, are you to ask this question?
>
> Thank you. Like I haven't sent responses to you answer on-line. God
> forbid that you read fucking newspapers.

The person who responds with obscenities to
a question is a person who doesn't want to think
about hard questions.

>
> Arne
> adol...@earthlink.net
>
> FUCK OFF

Would your next response to me be to pull out
a gun and shoot me?

dsa...@zurich.csail.mit.edu

unread,
Aug 10, 2005, 10:16:31 AM8/10/05
to

Some of those couples would've discoverd that one
of them was positive. Then if the negative person
declined to have sex he would still be alive.

Some of the discordent couples would find out.
They could decide to have sex.
The positive person could begin possible treatment
and have a normal life.

In any given situation when a decision is being
made, what are the consequences of each of those
steps. That's what you have to do to be rational
in a situation like this.

What can happen at each stage?

Lee Rudolph

unread,
Aug 10, 2005, 10:17:23 AM8/10/05
to
KLS <xym...@suds.com> quotes a fool to reply to his substance:

>>I can't think of anyone who would get tested before having sex except
>>dumb people
>>considering bearbacking.

but me, I just like to see "bearbacking".

Lee Rudolph

dsa...@zurich.csail.mit.edu

unread,
Aug 10, 2005, 10:21:04 AM8/10/05
to

That implies the lives of one or more people.

Are you going to start making a decision about
who lives or dies?

Or is it not important that one more person live and
have a life without the suffering that comes to people
with AIDS and their families and so on?

I have no problem with people becoming HIV positive
and dying. That's a decision everybody should be free
to make. Who can be against maing a choice of dying
from AIDS? There are people who do not want to get AIDS.
There are family, friends who do not want to die from AIDS.

You have the hemophiliac population where half of them
became infected and since testing began noone becomes
infected.

Mike McKinley

unread,
Aug 10, 2005, 10:36:15 AM8/10/05
to
"Lee Rudolph" <lrud...@panix.com> wrote in message
news:ddd29j$k8c$1...@panix2.panix.com...

I would like to see a return of the Cabal.
I'll even wear a little bracelet.


Arnold Zwicky

unread,
Aug 10, 2005, 12:00:00 PM8/10/05
to
in article <ddd3dc$e73$1...@geraldo.cc.utexas.edu>, mike mckinley
<mp...@mail.utexas.edu> wishes:

> I would like to see a return of the Cabal.
> I'll even wear a little bracelet.

as you know, there is no Cabal. still, if i were you, i would be
cautious about opening my mail and accepting packages for delivery.
one hears talk of pods on the loose. just a friendly warning.

as for bracelets, no doubt cafepress could produce some of suitable
flamboyance or tastefulness, depending on your needs.

maxi's bud

dsa...@zurich.csail.mit.edu

unread,
Aug 10, 2005, 12:31:08 PM8/10/05
to
an authoritarian response in attempt to dismiss,
or suppress.

as a jew i'm especially pleased and excited
an well in the world. it means that some of the
great traditions of the world are still alive and
will continue into the future.

to see that many of the old grand traditions are
alive and well in the world.

it's a pleasure to be threatened by you.

it's good to know that there are Some Young People
who value the old traditions.

threats are so reminiscent of history and tradition.

Mike McKinley

unread,
Aug 10, 2005, 1:11:10 PM8/10/05
to
"Arnold Zwicky" <zwi...@Turing.Stanford.EDU> wrote in message
news:ddd8a0$orr$1...@news.Stanford.EDU...

With all the LiveStrong bracelet mania that has morphed into a plethora
of plastic adornments or all colors and persuasions, Alfonso, while we were
in Guadalajara, bought a white bracelet as it complements his
cinnamon-colored skin. I, frankly, disapprove of plastic "jewelry," but no
matter, one cannot dictate things to one's partner. Anyway, after wearing
for several days, we checked the writing on the back of it. It was a
commemorative bracelet marking the death of Pope John Paul!
So, you're right, Manuela Campanita, all Mexicans are backward Catholic
bigots!

Air Kisses!


Scott Safier

unread,
Aug 10, 2005, 1:23:46 PM8/10/05
to
Mike McKinley:

> With all the LiveStrong bracelet mania that has morphed into a plethora
> of plastic adornments or all colors and persuasions, Alfonso, while we were
> in Guadalajara, bought a white bracelet as it complements his
> cinnamon-colored skin. I, frankly, disapprove of plastic "jewelry," but no
> matter, one cannot dictate things to one's partner. Anyway, after wearing
> for several days, we checked the writing on the back of it. It was a
> commemorative bracelet marking the death of Pope John Paul!

Mine is light green, has "July 16, 2005" and an owl on it and came
with my Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. 'Live Magically' is
my motto, but, *I* really am young and beautiful and a butch top.


--
Scott http://www.pink-triangle.org/scott
AOL IM: CorwinScot YahooIM: CycleMuscle

"Stand firm for what you believe in until or unless logic or experience prove
you wrong. Remember, when the emperor looks naked the emperor is naked. The
truth and a lie are not sort of the same thing. And there's no aspect, no
facet, no moment of life that can't be improved with pizza." -- Daria


chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and prestwich tesco 24h offy

unread,
Aug 10, 2005, 1:26:33 PM8/10/05
to
Mike McKinley <mp...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:

[]


> With all the LiveStrong bracelet mania that has morphed into a plethora
> of plastic adornments or all colors and persuasions, Alfonso, while we were
> in Guadalajara, bought a white bracelet as it complements his
> cinnamon-colored skin.

Oscar has a grey one. I think he found it!

> I, frankly, disapprove of plastic "jewelry,"

Oh, me too. The plastic wristbands are pretty big in the UK too. Another
fad which has passed me by! We were on a train a few months ago, and
when the conductor came to collect tickets, this total loca pointed to
his yellow band and exclaimed "oh my god, that one's great. It's for
cancer of the balls- I _want_ one!"

All I wear is a surgical steel nipple ring, and a left ear ring. (I
don't even wear a watch.) Oscar doesn't have any piercings, but has a
fair bit of jewellery which he rotates, including a Tutankhamen pendant
bought in Cairo and an Alexander the Great ring I bought as a gift for
him in Athens. They're not as tacky as they sound IMO- he certainly
wears them well anyway!

--
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net
usenet (at) davidhorne (dot) co (dot) uk
pictures at http://homepage.mac.com/davidhornecomposer

Chris Waigl

unread,
Aug 10, 2005, 2:17:13 PM8/10/05
to

Chris Waigl

unread,
Aug 10, 2005, 2:36:28 PM8/10/05
to
Scott Safier wrote:

> Mine is light green, has "July 16, 2005" and an owl on it and came
> with my Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. 'Live Magically' is
> my motto, but, *I* really am young and beautiful and a butch top.

Scott Safier wrote:

> Mine is light green, has "July 16, 2005" and an owl on it and came
> with my Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. 'Live Magically' is
> my motto, but, *I* really am young and beautiful and a butch top.

Now that this book has been mentioned in soc.motss's hallowed halls, I
must report something that has been on my mind ever since I read it.

See, despite the staunch OS nature of the numerous teenage dalliances
the book contains, it is not totally without interest to MOTSSers.

The crucial passage is in chapter 7, on p. 127 of the UK -- and don't
worry, this is hardly a spoiler, the entity in question having no
bearing on the plot -- when the reader learns the name of a new pet one
of the protagonists has acquired:

Xxxxxx, the purple Pygmy Puff

(For the non-initiated, "Puff" stands for "Puffskein", a good-natured
and cute magical pet that resembles a fluffy ball, without a visible
head or limbs.)

I'll leave it to someone else to fill in the quite distinctive missing
first name.

ChrisW
who's probably lost some brownie points for liking Harry Potter
but that's life
and mind-candy is mind-candy

dsa...@zurich.csail.mit.edu

unread,
Aug 10, 2005, 3:36:18 PM8/10/05
to
.
people imagine they've said the final definitive thing.
the conversation deteriorates at that point.

> YA eggcorn (was: a flammiferous S*kl*d thread)
> Lee Rudolph

Robert S. Coren

unread,
Aug 10, 2005, 4:11:16 PM8/10/05
to
In article <dddcfr$i46$1...@geraldo.cc.utexas.edu>,
Mike McKinley <mp...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:

>one cannot dictate things to one's partner.

Tell me about it.
--
---Robert Coren (co...@panix.com)------------------------------------
"[T]he new Bibliothèque Nationale...seems to have been designed by a
committee made up of Michel Foucault, Jacques Tati, and the
production designer of _The Man from U.N.C.L.E._" --Adam Gopnik

David W. Fenton

unread,
Aug 10, 2005, 4:41:10 PM8/10/05
to
Bock <electronicm...@telus.net> wrote in
news:42F99F99...@telus.net:

> I can't think of anyone who would get tested before having sex
> except dumb people
> considering bearbacking.

Er, a large proportion of the men barebacking are sero-sorting in
the first place, i.e., POZ men choosing to have sex only with other
POZ men.

I do think that negative sero-sorting barebackers are completely
deluding themselves. I once read a POZ AOL profile that said "to the
NEG UB2 crowd, hold on a moment while I change profiles."

--
David W. Fenton http://www.bway.net/~dfenton
dfenton at bway dot net http://www.bway.net/~dfassoc

David W. Fenton

unread,
Aug 10, 2005, 4:49:53 PM8/10/05
to
"dsa...@gnu.org" <dsa...@zurich.csail.mit.edu> wrote in
news:1123682671.6...@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> A classic kill the messenger reaction.

If the message is brain-dead stupiad, as yours is, and the messenger
is an insufferable, monotonous bore, as you are, I say killing him
is exactly the right prescription.

<PLONK>

Mike McKinley

unread,
Aug 10, 2005, 5:16:05 PM8/10/05
to
"Robert S. Coren" <co...@panix.com> wrote in message
news:dddn14$pdo$1...@panix1.panix.com...

> In article <dddcfr$i46$1...@geraldo.cc.utexas.edu>,
> Mike McKinley <mp...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:
>>one cannot dictate things to one's partner.
> Tell me about it.

Oh, that bitterest gall that flows from dishpan hands!


Christian Hansen

unread,
Aug 10, 2005, 5:34:01 PM8/10/05
to
On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 09:36:15 -0500, "Mike McKinley" <mp...@mail.utexas.edu>
wrote:

The thread about "Inamici Esperantonis" is over there ----->

Chris "The new Cabal: Enemies of Esperanto!" Hansen
--
Chris Hansen | chrishansenhome at btinternet dot com
|http://www.hansenhome.demon.co.uk or
|http://www.livejournal.com/users/chrishansenhome/
"On opening a tin of pork and beans, soldiers must not be
disappointed if they find no pork. The pork has been absorbed into the
beans." Army to WWI soldiers who complained about their pork and beans.

Tim McDaniel

unread,
Aug 10, 2005, 5:40:05 PM8/10/05
to
In article <Xns96AEAB4D68275df...@216.196.97.142>,

David W. Fenton <dXXXf...@bway.net.invalid> wrote:
>If the message is brain-dead stupiad,

I guess a "stupiad" is an epicly stupid newsgroup posting in
unrhymed dactylic hexameter.

--
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tm...@panix.com

Jack Hamilton

unread,
Aug 10, 2005, 6:53:53 PM8/10/05
to
Don Saklad <dsa...@nestle.csail.mit.edu> wrote:

Having proven nothing. You don't know if the other person was already
infected and just hadn't seroconverted yet. Or if the other person
became infected in a lunchtime quickie after the morning test.


--
The Torah says Love thy neighbor as thyself.
The Buddha says there is no self.
So, maybe you are off the hook.

dsa...@zurich.csail.mit.edu

unread,
Aug 10, 2005, 7:05:41 PM8/10/05
to
.
wow! one of them "internets" geniuses. but really
did you spell plonk correctly?

dsa...@zurich.csail.mit.edu

unread,
Aug 10, 2005, 7:07:52 PM8/10/05
to
.
it might also be a form of revenge.
don't you think that might motivate some people?

dsa...@zurich.csail.mit.edu

unread,
Aug 10, 2005, 7:10:05 PM8/10/05
to
.
it's like these people can't think.
cause whenever you get the test
it's going to apply to most of your life

Bock

unread,
Aug 11, 2005, 3:32:29 AM8/11/05
to
Don Saklad wrote:
>
> > Bock <electronicmailfixtos...@telus.net>
> > dsak...@gnu.org wrote:
>
> How many motss people are no longer around?... since that time we
> began going back and forth about the thought experiment regarding
> the strategy of getting tested together before having sex for
> sexually transmitted infections.
>
> Maybe something could be seen with respect to their deaths and
> the strategy of getting tested together before having sex.
>
> > I can't think of anyone who would get tested before having sex
> > except dumb people considering bearbacking. Everyone else on
> > the planet would practice safe sex.
>
> Note. The correct term is always... safer.
> There's never zero risk.

Well, I would say you are wrong. If two guys do hand jobs there is no
risk period.

>
> > Dan, maybe you could write a short script of two people
> > meeting and how the conversation would go after dinner, after
> > a movie, after lunch, after the bar closed how two people go
> > looking for a clinic that is open to get an immediate test and
> > results before the sun comes up in the morning.
> >
> > If an idea isn't practical, it doesn't work.
> >
> > But don't get me wrong. I love your posts.
>
> At an AIDS Action Committee http://www.aac.org
> community event I mentioned the thought experiment,
> "I would get tested together with my next potential
> sex partner before having sex." I met several guys.
> Afterward, one guy telephoned, "Let's get tested
> together tomorrow morning."
>
> Two days later we got tested together at the STD clinic.
> We were first when they opened that morning.
> Two weeks later in the afternoon we went back.
> Our tests hadn't detected anything that morning.
> Making a beeline, we headed home!
>

But the test is only valid for a window of detection. Depending on an
individauls last
encounter, the test may not detect aids in the body testing 14 days
after the last encounter.

>
> See also
> http://www.mgh.harvard.edu/id/mghstd.html
> http://www.fenwayhealth.org
>
> Here's a collaborative blog about the strategy
> http://NotB4WeKnow.EditThisPage.com

Bock

unread,
Aug 11, 2005, 3:33:30 AM8/11/05
to
Thank you so much. That is what I was trying to say but didn't know the
correct word.

dsa...@zurich.csail.mit.edu

unread,
Aug 11, 2005, 6:22:07 AM8/11/05
to
Bock wrote:
> Don Saklad wrote:
> >
> > > Bock <electronicmailfixtos...@telus.net>
> > > dsak...@gnu.org wrote:
> >
> > How many motss people are no longer around?... since that time we
> > began going back and forth about the thought experiment regarding
> > the strategy of getting tested together before having sex for
> > sexually transmitted infections.
> >
> > Maybe something could be seen with respect to their deaths and
> > the strategy of getting tested together before having sex.
> >
> > > I can't think of anyone who would get tested before having sex
> > > except dumb people considering bearbacking. Everyone else on
> > > the planet would practice safe sex.
> >
> > Note. The correct term is always... safer.
> > There's never zero risk.
>
> Well, I would say you are wrong. If two guys do hand jobs there is no
> risk period.

Before and during they do not know what might happen
next when the heart beats faster and the mind goes numb.

> > > Dan, maybe you could write a short script of two people
> > > meeting and how the conversation would go after dinner, after
> > > a movie, after lunch, after the bar closed how two people go
> > > looking for a clinic that is open to get an immediate test and
> > > results before the sun comes up in the morning.
> > >
> > > If an idea isn't practical, it doesn't work.
> > >
> > > But don't get me wrong. I love your posts.
> >
> > At an AIDS Action Committee http://www.aac.org
> > community event I mentioned the thought experiment,
> > "I would get tested together with my next potential
> > sex partner before having sex." I met several guys.
> > Afterward, one guy telephoned, "Let's get tested
> > together tomorrow morning."
> >
> > Two days later we got tested together at the STD clinic.
> > We were first when they opened that morning.
> > Two weeks later in the afternoon we went back.
> > Our tests hadn't detected anything that morning.
> > Making a beeline, we headed home!
> >
> But the test is only valid for a window of detection. Depending on an
> individauls last
> encounter, the test may not detect aids in the body testing 14 days
> after the last encounter.

There's all the years before for which testing
will detect sexually transmitted infections.

David W. Fenton

unread,
Aug 11, 2005, 2:51:32 PM8/11/05
to
tm...@panix.com (Tim McDaniel) wrote in
news:ddds7l$an2$1...@tmcd.austin.tx.us:

> In article <Xns96AEAB4D68275df...@216.196.97.142>,
> David W. Fenton <dXXXf...@bway.net.invalid> wrote:
>>If the message is brain-dead stupiad,
>
> I guess a "stupiad" is an epicly stupid newsgroup posting in
> unrhymed dactylic hexameter.

My uveitis is flaring up this week and I'm having trouble seeing the
screen. When the prednisone kicks in, it will go away, so I've not
bumped up the font size onscreen.

Maybe I should have.

Tim McDaniel

unread,
Aug 11, 2005, 3:49:25 PM8/11/05
to
In article <Xns96AF973D1DD21df...@216.196.97.142>,

David W. Fenton <dXXXf...@bway.net.invalid> wrote:
>tm...@panix.com (Tim McDaniel) wrote in
>news:ddds7l$an2$1...@tmcd.austin.tx.us:
>
>> In article <Xns96AEAB4D68275df...@216.196.97.142>,
>> David W. Fenton <dXXXf...@bway.net.invalid> wrote:
>>>If the message is brain-dead stupiad,
>>
>> I guess a "stupiad" is an epicly stupid newsgroup posting in
>> unrhymed dactylic hexameter.
>
>My uveitis is flaring up this week and I'm having trouble seeing the
>screen. When the prednisone kicks in, it will go away, so I've not
>bumped up the font size onscreen.
>
>Maybe I should have.

No, no, I wasn't being critical. I just thought "stupiad" was a most
felicitous typo that I think I'll adopt.

--
Tim (here, typo typo typo) McDaniel; Reply-To: tm...@panix.com

Mike Reaser

unread,
Aug 11, 2005, 6:05:20 PM8/11/05
to
tm...@panix.com (Tim McDaniel) wrote:

I like it, too. Two days ago I came home from work and vented to
Bryon about the Inundation Of Idiots that had crossed my path that
day. I sorta like "inundation" as a collective term for "idiots".


--
From the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, "The Vent", 2004/05/24
To the bonehead with the "What Would Jesus Do?" bumper sticker:
Jesus wouldn't throw his litter out the window.

Arnold Zwicky

unread,
Aug 11, 2005, 8:26:10 PM8/11/05
to
in article <1123691468.6...@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
a usually write-only poster bridles humorlessly:

>Arnold Zwicky wrote [to mike mckinley]:

>> as you know, there is no Cabal. still, if i were you, i would be
>> cautious about opening my mail and accepting packages for
>> delivery. one hears talk of pods on the loose. just a friendly
>> warning.

> an authoritarian response in attempt to dismiss,
> or suppress.

> as a jew i'm especially pleased and excited...

i don't think i've complained recently about the state of the roads in
the altiplanos of bolivia. it's just scandalous, and the government
won't lift a finger to repair those gaping rifts. i mean, you
wheedle, you argue, you shout, you threaten, and of course you cough
up bribes, but does anything get done? no. i don't understand why
more people aren't up in arms about it

incensed in tall tree

Frank McQuarry

unread,
Aug 11, 2005, 10:52:53 PM8/11/05
to

Tim McDaniel wrote:

> No, no, I wasn't being critical. I just thought "stupiad" was a most
> felicitous typo that I think I'll adopt.

It looks more like an athletic event than a description. Who won the
Stupiad?

Jed Davis

unread,
Aug 12, 2005, 5:30:55 AM8/12/05
to
"Mike McKinley" <mp...@mail.utexas.edu> writes:

> With all the LiveStrong bracelet mania that has morphed into a plethora
> of plastic adornments or all colors and persuasions, Alfonso, while we were
> in Guadalajara, bought a white bracelet as it complements his
> cinnamon-colored skin. I, frankly, disapprove of plastic "jewelry," but no
> matter, one cannot dictate things to one's partner.

My personal 0wnage of this fashion trend takes the form of a trinity
of wristbands: one alternating red and green, one orange/blue, and one
yellow/purple. I figured that if people want to visibilize themselves
as charity donors or of Mexican/Colombian/Jamaican/Trinidadian(?)/etc.
origin or what have you, then I can have my orthogonal hexachrome.

This practice of wearing items not required for a pragmatic purpose
like insulation, decency, or timekeeping is kind of new to me, though.

--Jed "Brightly Colored Plastic Is Love" D.

--
"When I was one of the devil's lesbians, my headmistress Countess Clitoria
would reward me with hot tubs and vacations to Spain and Greece. I'm sorry
you're still at the toaster level. You must do your vampirizing only in scummy
out-of-the-way places." -- Mother Bernadette Strange <exle...@wowmail.com>

Message has been deleted

Chris Ambidge

unread,
Aug 12, 2005, 8:54:48 AM8/12/05
to
[frank asked the musical question]

>It looks more like an athletic event than a description. Who won the
>Stupiad?
>
the Esperantoads

ailuropoda melanoleuca torontonensis
--
Chris Ambidge =|= amb...@ecf.utoronto.ca =|= chris....@utoronto.ca
chemist by day=|=panda by night=|=www.chem-eng.utoronto.ca/~ambidge/panda.jpg

"Now where did I leave my pompoms?" -- Clay Colwell, cheerleader & poet

Mike McKinley

unread,
Aug 12, 2005, 10:59:57 AM8/12/05
to
"Jed Davis" <jd...@panix.com> wrote in message
news:lcsek8zsd...@panix5.panix.com...

> "Mike McKinley" <mp...@mail.utexas.edu> writes:
>> With all the LiveStrong bracelet mania that has morphed into a
>> plethora
>> of plastic adornments or all colors and persuasions, Alfonso, while we
>> were
>> in Guadalajara, bought a white bracelet as it complements his
>> cinnamon-colored skin. I, frankly, disapprove of plastic "jewelry," but
>> no
>> matter, one cannot dictate things to one's partner.
> My personal 0wnage of this fashion trend takes the form of a trinity
> of wristbands: one alternating red and green, one orange/blue, and one
> yellow/purple. I figured that if people want to visibilize themselves
> as charity donors or of Mexican/Colombian/Jamaican/Trinidadian(?)/etc.
> origin or what have you, then I can have my orthogonal hexachrome.
> This practice of wearing items not required for a pragmatic purpose
> like insulation, decency, or timekeeping is kind of new to me, though.
> --Jed "Brightly Colored Plastic Is Love" D.

Honey, I've always thought that plastic jewelry was plum tacky.
But, guess who is donating a painting to the Lance Armstrong Foundation
silent auction?


Frank McQuarry

unread,
Aug 12, 2005, 11:18:20 AM8/12/05
to

Jess Anderson wrote:

> Frank McQuarry:
>
> >Who won the Stupiad?
>
> George W. Bush.

Must've been all those Weapons of Mass Democracy programs that justified
his dirty little war(s).

Jack Hamilton

unread,
Aug 12, 2005, 12:25:03 PM8/12/05
to
"Mike McKinley" <mp...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:

> With all the LiveStrong bracelet mania that has morphed into a plethora
>of plastic adornments or all colors and persuasions, Alfonso, while we were
>in Guadalajara, bought a white bracelet as it complements his
>cinnamon-colored skin. I, frankly, disapprove of plastic "jewelry," but no
>matter, one cannot dictate things to one's partner.

Especially in matters of so-called taste. I suppose it's a good that
that tastes differ - what if everyone wanted him - or me, for that
matter?

>Anyway, after wearing
>for several days, we checked the writing on the back of it. It was a
>commemorative bracelet marking the death of Pope John Paul!

I or II?

Mike McKinley

unread,
Aug 12, 2005, 12:57:32 PM8/12/05
to
"Jack Hamilton" <j...@acm.org> wrote in message
news:o7jpf1ttjd3hhqqqh...@4ax.com...

The most recent Pope who croaked.


rcastevet

unread,
Aug 12, 2005, 1:04:42 PM8/12/05
to
I've enjoyed these comments more than most ones lately....thanks. Bob

Message has been deleted

Michael Palmer

unread,
Aug 13, 2005, 6:59:58 PM8/13/05
to
On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 05:30:55 -0400, in soc.motss, Jed Davis
<jd...@panix.com> wrote:

>"Mike McKinley" <mp...@mail.utexas.edu> writes:
>
>> With all the LiveStrong bracelet mania that has morphed into a plethora
>> of plastic adornments or all colors and persuasions, Alfonso, while we were
>> in Guadalajara, bought a white bracelet as it complements his
>> cinnamon-colored skin. I, frankly, disapprove of plastic "jewelry," but no
>> matter, one cannot dictate things to one's partner.
>
>My personal 0wnage of this fashion trend takes the form of a trinity

^^^^^^
And just was I was feeling empowered (or should that be
"empoweraged"?) enough to use "ownership"!

>of wristbands: one alternating red and green, one orange/blue, and one
>yellow/purple. I figured that if people want to visibilize themselves

Does this mean that when you take off the wristbands you devisibilize
yourself, and that when you put them back on you indevisibilize
yourself?

MP, once again, on the ground, at the end of the day, failing to keep
up with linguistic trends
--
Michael Palmer
Claremont, California
mpa...@panix.com

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and prestwich tesco 24h offy

unread,
Aug 16, 2005, 4:29:51 AM8/16/05
to
Jess Anderson <ande...@wisc.edu> wrote:

> David Horne:
> >Mike McKinley:


>
> >>I, frankly, disapprove of plastic "jewelry,"
>

> >Oh, me too. The plastic wristbands are pretty big in the UK
> >too. Another fad which has passed me by! []
>
> IMO, the Lance Armstrong Foundation and its work are anything
> but a fad.

The wearing of plastic wristbands in the UK certainly is, and most
people haven't heard of Lance Armstrong. If you've been to a UK high
street recently, you'll see differently coloured wrist bands being sold
for around a pound a piece by street vendors, and the only criterion
most people use for selecting them is colour.

> Further, while it's probably inevitable that the original idea
> would give rise to a plethora of knockoffs, it's nonsense to
> hold the LAF responsible for that.

No one held them responsible, did they?

--
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net
usenet (at) davidhorne (dot) co (dot) uk
pictures at http://homepage.mac.com/davidhornecomposer

Message has been deleted

chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and prestwich tesco 24h offy

unread,
Aug 16, 2005, 8:08:04 AM8/16/05
to
Jess Anderson <ande...@wisc.edu> wrote:

[]
> I'm not saying you're wrong (only that it would surprise me if
> you're right) that most people in the UK haven't heard of Lance
> Armstrong, especially with France being right next door

You'd be surprised!

> and
> sports reporting being full of the Tour for more than three
> weeks.
>
> To be sure, cycling isn't football/soccer or golf, or (here)
> baseball, basketball or NFL football, or (esp. in Canada)
> hockey, in terms of mass popularity.
>
> But I would think cycling stars would would be as well known in
> the UK as those of track and field, tennis, skiing, speed
> skating, figure skating or rowing, all of which have a
> significant fan base internationally, including the UK.

The fact he isn't from the UK has a lot to do with it. I can't prove it
of course, and I'm not aware of any poll, but I think I'm on pretty safe
ground with the claim. He's certainly been on the news, even the main
bulletins, but that wouldn't make a difference either. You'd be
surprised how many people in the UK don't know who the leaders of the
opposition parties are as well. Would most Americans have heard of Paula
Radcliffe?

Gwendolyn Alden Dean

unread,
Aug 16, 2005, 10:24:24 AM8/16/05
to
Jess Anderson wrote:

> I have a collection of antique jewelry -- Bedouin rings, Afghan
> silver, Tibetan necklaces, gold and silver cufflinks,
> semiprecious stones, fine pearls, pocket watches, wrist
> watches, etc. Never wear the stuff, though.

But why not?!

Gwendolyn
shocked at the idea of not
wearing antique finery

Mike McKinley

unread,
Aug 16, 2005, 10:18:04 AM8/16/05
to
"chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and prestwich tesco 24h offy"
<this_address...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Would most Americans have heard of Paula Radcliffe?

I thought that she founded a college in New England.


chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and prestwich tesco 24h offy

unread,
Aug 16, 2005, 10:26:03 AM8/16/05
to
Mike McKinley <mp...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:

No, I think it's named after the town up the road from me! :)

Robert S. Coren

unread,
Aug 16, 2005, 11:48:25 AM8/16/05
to
In article <1h1e1bf.1eckdap86i8gaN%this_address...@yahoo.com>,

chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and prestwich tesco 24h offy <this_address...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Jess Anderson <ande...@wisc.edu> wrote:
>
>[]
>> I'm not saying you're wrong (only that it would surprise me if
>> you're right) that most people in the UK haven't heard of Lance
>> Armstrong, especially with France being right next door
> ...

>The fact he isn't from the UK has a lot to do with it.

Indeed, although I can't prove it, I doubt many people in the USA
would have heard of him if he wasn't from here. Did the US media pay
any detectable attention to the Tour de France before an American won
it?
--
---Robert Coren (co...@panix.com)------------------------------------
"Noise proves nothing. Often a hen who has merely laid an egg
cackles as if she had laid an asteroid." -- Mark Twain

Mike McKinley

unread,
Aug 16, 2005, 11:55:35 AM8/16/05
to
"Robert S. Coren" <co...@panix.com> wrote in message
news:ddt1s9$bid$1...@panix1.panix.com...

> In article <1h1e1bf.1eckdap86i8gaN%this_address...@yahoo.com>,
> chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and prestwich tesco 24h offy
> <this_address...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>Jess Anderson <ande...@wisc.edu> wrote:
>>> I'm not saying you're wrong (only that it would surprise me if
>>> you're right) that most people in the UK haven't heard of Lance
>>> Armstrong, especially with France being right next door
>>The fact he isn't from the UK has a lot to do with it.
> Indeed, although I can't prove it, I doubt many people in the USA
> would have heard of him if he wasn't from here. Did the US media pay
> any detectable attention to the Tour de France before an American won
> it?

I only knew from double tours en l'air. That's a tour and it's French.


Jack Hamilton

unread,
Aug 16, 2005, 1:50:37 PM8/16/05
to
Gwendolyn Alden Dean <gd...@cornell.edu> wrote:

>Jess Anderson wrote:
>
>> I have a collection of antique jewelry -- Bedouin rings, Afghan
>> silver, Tibetan necklaces, gold and silver cufflinks,
>> semiprecious stones, fine pearls, pocket watches, wrist
>> watches, etc. Never wear the stuff, though.
>
>But why not?!

It's so much more tasteful to only talk about owning it.

Message has been deleted

Christian Hansen

unread,
Aug 16, 2005, 4:15:32 PM8/16/05
to
On 16 Aug 2005 02:35:01 CST, ande...@wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) wrote:

>Where I grew up, people say crick for creek, but that's not a
>mispronunciation, just a variant, right?
>
>While I haven't seen crick written for creek, it seems fairly
>possible someone might do that.

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/soc.motss/msg/c54deedd8a8b5a4f?hl=en&

Look in my tagline.

>That brings to mind a crick in the neck, but writing that as
>creek seems to me very improbable.
>
>Then there's creak, which is what I do, by crikey!

Chris "Yes, septuagenarians often do that." Hansen
--
Chris Hansen | chrishansenhome at btinternet dot com
|http://www.hansenhome.demon.co.uk or
|http://www.livejournal.com/users/chrishansenhome/
|"Ah, ma chère! J'adore lardons!" Mike McKinley
|"That's an L, not an H." Jack Hamilton

Mike McKinley

unread,
Aug 16, 2005, 4:26:35 PM8/16/05
to
"Jess Anderson" <ande...@wisc.edu> wrote in message
news:4302440a$1...@newspeer2.tds.net...
> Jack Hamilton:
>>Gwendolyn Dean:
>>>Jess Anderson:

>>>>I have a collection of antique jewelry -- Bedouin rings, Afghan
>>>>silver, Tibetan necklaces, gold and silver cufflinks,
>>>>semiprecious stones, fine pearls, pocket watches, wrist
>>>>watches, etc. Never wear the stuff, though.
>>>But why not?!
> Vissi d'arte, I guess.

>>It's so much more tasteful to only talk about owning it.
> It has happened before, so I'm not surprised, yet I wonder what
> provokes your occasional unwarranted expectorations of venom.

I hear bad Hindu oboe playing...
I rise out of my basket, spreading my hood as my viperine tongue
flickers in the hot mango-scented Bombay morn...
Get a grip, girlene, this *is* old, bitter, hysterical, vicious
Queensland.
And then to lighten things up, there's Arne!


David W. Fenton

unread,
Aug 16, 2005, 5:58:38 PM8/16/05
to
ande...@wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) wrote in
news:43019990$1...@newspeer2.tds.net:

> I have a small surgical steel hoop in my right ear and a
> sterling ring on the ring finger of each hand (one of them a
> gift from my mother).

Where did you acquire your other hand?

--
David W. Fenton http://www.bway.net/~dfenton
dfenton at bway dot net http://www.bway.net/~dfassoc

Message has been deleted

Lee Rudolph

unread,
Aug 16, 2005, 8:17:39 PM8/16/05
to
"David W. Fenton" <dXXXf...@bway.net.invalid> writes:

>ande...@wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) wrote in
>news:43019990$1...@newspeer2.tds.net:
>
>> I have a small surgical steel hoop in my right ear and a
>> sterling ring on the ring finger of each hand (one of them a
>> gift from my mother).
>
>Where did you acquire your other hand?

He got it second hand, of course.

Lee Rudolph (perhaps as a hand-me-down; surely not as part of a hand
job lot)

David W. Fenton

unread,
Aug 16, 2005, 9:37:48 PM8/16/05
to
ande...@wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) wrote in
news:4302816d$1...@newspeer2.tds.net:

> David Fenton:
>>Jess Anderson:

>
>>>I have a small surgical steel hoop in my right ear and a
>>>sterling ring on the ring finger of each hand (one of them a
>>>gift from my mother).
>
>>Where did you acquire your other hand?
>

> From my father, natch. Surely you've heard of the Evil Hand?

Your left hand, I take it?

Message has been deleted

David W. Fenton

unread,
Aug 17, 2005, 9:50:55 PM8/17/05
to
ande...@wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) wrote in
news:43030...@newspeer2.tds.net:

> David Fenton:
>>Jess Anderson:

>>>David Fenton:
>>>>Jess Anderson:
>
>>>>>I have a small surgical steel hoop in my right ear and a
>>>>>sterling ring on the ring finger of each hand (one of them a
>>>>>gift from my mother).
>
>>>>Where did you acquire your other hand?
>
>>> From my father, natch. Surely you've heard of the Evil Hand?
>
>>Your left hand, I take it?
>

> Nope, the stabber/slasher right hand.

Then, not the Evil Hand.

Jed Davis

unread,
Aug 19, 2005, 5:55:54 AM8/19/05
to
"Mike McKinley" <mp...@mail.utexas.edu> writes:

> "Jed Davis" <jd...@panix.com> wrote in message
> news:lcsek8zsd...@panix5.panix.com...


>> My personal 0wnage of this fashion trend takes the form of a trinity

>> of wristbands: one alternating red and green, one orange/blue, and one
>> yellow/purple. I figured that if people want to visibilize themselves

>> as charity donors or of Mexican/Colombian/Jamaican/Trinidadian(?)/etc.
>> origin or what have you, then I can have my orthogonal hexachrome.
>
> Honey, I've always thought that plastic jewelry was plum tacky.

I <Heart> Flaming Plastic Fashion Violation.

--
(let ((C call-with-current-continuation)) (apply (lambda (x y) (x y)) (map
((lambda (r) ((C C) (lambda (s) (r (lambda l (apply (s s) l)))))) (lambda
(f) (lambda (l) (if (null? l) C (lambda (k) (display (car l)) ((f (cdr l))
(C k))))))) '((#\J #\d #\D #\v #\s) (#\e #\space #\a #\i #\newline)))))

Jed Davis

unread,
Aug 20, 2005, 4:11:34 AM8/20/05
to
mpa...@panix.com (Michael Palmer) writes:

> On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 05:30:55 -0400, in soc.motss, Jed Davis
> <jd...@panix.com> wrote:
>>"Mike McKinley" <mp...@mail.utexas.edu> writes:
>>> Alfonso, while we were in Guadalajara, bought a white bracelet as
>>> it complements his cinnamon-colored skin. I, frankly, disapprove
>>> of plastic "jewelry," but no matter, one cannot dictate things to
>>> one's partner.
>>
>>My personal 0wnage of this fashion trend takes the form of a trinity
> ^^^^^^
> And just was I was feeling empowered (or should that be
> "empoweraged"?) enough to use "ownership"!

Ah, but "ownership" suggests legality and formality and moral
rectitude, whereas "0wnage" refers to... pretty much the opposite, in
one sense; in another, to defeating something in gratuitously violent
stylized combat.

>>of wristbands: one alternating red and green, one orange/blue, and one
>>yellow/purple. I figured that if people want to visibilize themselves
>
> Does this mean that when you take off the wristbands you devisibilize
> yourself, and that when you put them back on you indevisibilize
> yourself?

I'm not quite that agglutinative.

[Today's Random Fact: "dimethicone" is short for "polydimethylsiloxane".]

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages