Kick antivaxxers out of the hospitals!

1 view

a322x1n

Jan 24, 2022, 8:33:35 PMJan 24
<https://www.latimes.com/opinion/letters-to-the-editor/story/2022-01-24/w
hy-do-anti-vaxxers-show-up-at-hospitals>

<https://tinyurl.com/3c3zd6x8>

Letters to the Editor: Why do anti-vaxxers even show up at hospitals
when they get COVID? JAN. 24, 2022 3 AM PT.

To the editor: How about a very simple answer to the anti-vaxxers when
they inevitably contract COVID-19? Just don’t come to the hospital if
you are in denial that you have the disease. (“Anti-vaccine patients
vent anger on healthcare workers like me. It takes a toll on care,”
Opinion, Jan. 20)

If you don’t trust the people trying to save your life, stay home and
tough it out. If you insist you don’t have COVID-19, quit being selfish
by taking the bed of a person suffering a heart attack or, in this
insane country, injuries from a gunshot wound.

Enough of your nonsense. You’re keeping us stuck in this pandemic.

And as for Dr. Venktesh Ramnath, who has been accosted by anti-vaccine
COVID-19 patients and their families, I’m sorry that you and your
colleagues have to put up with these belligerent people desperately ill
from this scourge.

To the editor: Long before COVID-19 appeared, I was admitted to a local
hospital because I couldn’t breathe. Being told that you need open-heart
surgery to replace you aortic valve is not pleasant. But it soon became
evident that my survival would depend on my willingness to accept help
and do what was required.

I soon learned that I needed to form a partnership with my doctors, none
of whom I had met before. These skilled medical personnel scheduled
tests, offered detailed explanations and described the parameters of my
treatment. I asked many questions.

By the time of surgery, I was acutely aware of the partnership that
forms between a patient, a family and their healthcare workers. Our
trust resulted in a successful, life-changing procedure for me.

My late brother was a pulmonologist. I watched him and his fellow
medical school graduates stand and take the oath to “first, do no harm.”
Patients and their families would do well to trust that promise made by
all doctors, including the ones struggling to save those infected by the
coronavirus.

Karen Scott Browdy, Fillmore.

..

To the editor: Regarding the critical care physician who was verbally
attacked for 45 minutes by the family of an unvaccinated 42-year-old
firefighter with respiratory failure, why didn’t the physician just end
the conversation after being treated with such disrespect when he was
just trying to explain the situation?

Nothing in the Hippocratic Oath states that a physician has to withstand
such verbal abuse.

Ann C. Hayman, Westwood

..

To the editor: Immediately after reading Dr. Ramnath’s op-ed article on
the inexcusable behavior of anti-vaccine patients, a quote often
attributed to Albert Einstein came to mind: “Only two things are
infinite — the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the
former.”

Rosemary Chiaverini, Sherman Oaks.

LETTERS TO THE EDITOR.