Feminism Destroyed Ancient Sparta

C.V. Compton Shaw

Jul 13, 2003, 1:51:02 PM7/13/03
Feminism destroyed the ancient Greek city state of Sparta.
Aristotle in his illustrious book, "Politics", describes how
that nation and culture of ancient Sparta declined and fell
to foreign invaders because Spartan women demanded and
obtained privilege, refused to live under the same laws as
men, became unjustly wealthy and indolent, and became
extremely greedy and materialistic. As a result of the
aforementioned, Spartan men simply refused to fight.
Aristotle refereed to the aforementioned as "the disorder"
of women. This same "disorder" is now defined as "feminism"
or "female elitism". If it can happen in Ancient Sparta, it
can happen in the USA and other countries. It appears to be
happening right now.

Hyerdahl1

Jul 13, 2003, 3:44:46 PM7/13/03
>Subject: Feminism Destroyed Ancient Sparta
>From: "C.V. Compton Shaw" mis...@swbell.net
>Date: 7/13/2003 10:51 AM Pacific Standard Time

So you're saying that civilizations are destroyed when men no longer get to
control women? Hmmmmmmm

Brettg

Jul 13, 2003, 10:28:00 PM7/13/03

"Hyerdahl1" <hyer...@aol.com> wrote in message

No, he is saying that civilisations are destroyed when men no
longer feel inclined to protect and defend them.

Do try to read for comprehension pargy.

There's a good feminist.

Hyerdahl1

Jul 14, 2003, 12:02:33 AM7/14/03
>Subject: Re: Feminism Destroyed Ancient Sparta
>From: "Brettg" bre...@home.net
>Date: 7/13/2003 7:28 PM Pacific Standard Time

Do you know any women, personally who feel they have to trade their equal
treatment for the old con game of men protecting women, agaisnt other men?
Hahahahahahaha!

BrettG

Jul 14, 2003, 4:44:23 AM7/14/03

"Hyerdahl1" <hyer...@aol.com> wrote in message

No not personally but next time I come across a spartan woman I'll
be sure to ask her.

Oh wait on a bit! Sparta disappeared a coupla thousand years ago!

Now why was that again?

> for the old con game of men protecting women, agaisnt other men?

When the rampaging hordes arrive at your doorstep Carol Ann
be sure you point that out to them.

> Hahahahahahaha!

I see you've lost the idiot grin there Carol Ann.

Well done.

geopelia

Jul 14, 2003, 8:46:22 AM7/14/03

"BrettG" <bre...@home.net> wrote in message
>Spartan women used to tell their men "Return with your shield - or upon
it",
There used to be an athletics club that called itself the "Spartan Ladies".
I wonder if they knew that Spartan girls used to exercise naked?
There is a lot to be said for the Spartan system of having two kings,
though.
Thermopylae is still remembered today and is an inspiration to all of us.
Geopelia

BrettG

Jul 14, 2003, 9:13:02 AM7/14/03

"geopelia" <phil...@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message

errrr, fascinating, I'm sure.

Hyerdahl1

Jul 14, 2003, 2:42:04 PM7/14/03
>Subject: Re: Feminism Destroyed Ancient Sparta
>From: "BrettG" bre...@home.net
>Date: 7/14/03 1:44 AM Pacific Daylight Time

Well, that's just like you Brett; all you can do is beat a DEAD horse. :-)

>>Oh wait on a bit! Sparta disappeared a coupla thousand years ago!

INdeed.

>Now why was that again?

Because insecure men are insecure the world 'round and in whatever age?

>> for the old con game of men protecting women, agaisnt other men?
>
>When the rampaging hordes arrive at your doorstep Carol Ann>be sure you point
that out to them.

The con game is WHAT it is EVEN when the male enemy is at the male gates.

nethead8

Jul 14, 2003, 6:36:04 PM7/14/03
"C.V. Compton Shaw" <mis...@swbell.net> wrote in message news:3F119924...@swbell.net...

> Feminism destroyed the ancient Greek city state of Sparta.
> Aristotle in his illustrious book, "Politics", describes how
> that nation and culture of ancient Sparta declined and fell

One must keep in mind that most commentary from that time, and indeed
most history of ancient Greece, is viewed through the lens of Sparta's enemy,
Athens......

No one would mistake modern day American feminists for Spartan women.
Spartan women actually were required to go through similarly rigorous
military-type training and physical activities as the men. They were not soldiers,
but were expected to produce healthy children for the Spartan state.

Jack

Brettg

Jul 14, 2003, 7:22:28 PM7/14/03

> Feminism destroyed the ancient Greek city state of Sparta.

Here is an excerpt from Aristotle's book
http://duke.usask.ca/~niallm/233/Aristotl.htm

The parallels with modern feminism are indeed profound

POLITICS
1269 [On Spartan Women]

Again, the license of the Lacedaemonian women defeats the intention of the Spartan
constitution, and is adverse to the happiness of the state. For, a husband and
wife being each a part of every family, the state may be considered as about
equally divided into men and women; and, therefore, in those states in which the
condition of the women is bad, half the city may be regarded as having no laws.

And this is what has actually happened at Sparta; the legislator wanted to make
the whole state hardy and temperate, and he has carried out his intention in the
case of the men, but he has neglected the women, who live in every sort of
intemperance and luxury. The consequence is that in such a state wealth is too
highly valued, especially if the citizen fall under the dominion of their wives,
after the manner of most warlike races, except the Celts and a few others who
openly approve of male loves. The old mythologer would seem to have been right in
uniting Ares and Aphrodite, for all warlike races are prone to the love either of
men or of women. This was exemplified among the Spartans in the days of their
greatness; many things were managed by their women.

But what difference does it make whether women rule, or the rulers are ruled by
women? The result is the same. Even in regard to courage, which is of no use in
daily life, and is needed only in war, the influence of the Lacedaemonian women
has been most mischievous. The evil showed itself in the Theban invasion, when,
unlike the women other cities, they were utterly useless and caused more confusion
than the enemy.

This license of the Lacedaemonian women existed from the earliest times, and was
only what might be expected. For, during the wars of the Lacedaemonians, first
against the Argives, and afterwards against the Arcadians and Messenians, the men
were long away from home, and, on the return of peace, they gave themselves into
the legislator's hand, already prepared by the discipline of a soldier's life (in
which there are many elements of virtue), to receive his enactments. But, when
Lycurgus, as tradition says, wanted to bring the women under his laws, they
resisted, and he gave up the attempt.

These then are the causes of what then happened, and this defect in the
constitution is clearly to be attributed to them. We are not, however, considering
what is or is not to be excused, but what is right or wrong, and the disorder of
the women, as I have already said, not only gives an air of indecorum to the
constitution considered in itself, but tends in a measure to foster avarice.

Translated by Niall Mc Closkey © Niall Mc Closkey 1998

http://duke.usask.ca/~niallm/233/Aristotl.htm

natasha

Jul 14, 2003, 8:10:57 PM7/14/03
"C.V. Compton Shaw" <mis...@swbell.net> wrote in message news:<3F119924...@swbell.net>...

The Greeks were into little boys.

natasha fatale

wd

Jul 14, 2003, 8:46:56 PM7/14/03

It seems as if history is repeating itself.. eh?

~wd

wd

Jul 14, 2003, 9:20:45 PM7/14/03

An outstanding post on history repeting itself imho. History
is littered with examples like Sparta.

Sparta was one of the most extreme civilizations of the
ancient world during that time period, and it is much like
America is today with its extreme left and right views
jockying for power.

But the Spartan utopia come crashing down just as all
civilizations will --that allow extremism to rein.

By wanting to create a perfect society protected by perfect
warriors, Sparta makes an enemy of world and of its own
people. And this enemy included Rome and many forien
invaders.

A shrinking birth rate, the destruction of the family,
female elitism struggling for power, too few warriors,
rebellious children, crime, poverty, lack of trade, were all
in the mix that led to its destruction. Sounds familuar huh.

And the irony is that sparta originally became a power based
on the morial fabric of its society and the team work of its
people.

Yes, there is such a thing as too much permissiveness.

~wd

wd

Jul 14, 2003, 9:25:06 PM7/14/03
On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 18:42:04 +0000, Hyerdahl1 wrote:

> The con game is WHAT it is EVEN when the male enemy is at
> the male gates.

Historical events are not a con dear. In fact, there are
people in this country that get paid big bucks to compare
historical events to current events and make recomendations
to the government based on those comparisons.

Intelligent people recgonize the value of history.
Smart people know history quite often repeats itself.

~wd

Brettg

Jul 14, 2003, 11:56:28 PM7/14/03

> > Feminism destroyed the ancient Greek city state of Sparta.
> > Aristotle in his illustrious book, "Politics", describes how
> > that nation and culture of ancient Sparta declined and fell
>
> One must keep in mind that most commentary from that time, and indeed
> most history of ancient Greece, is viewed through the lens of Sparta's enemy,
> Athens......
]>
> No one would mistake modern day American feminists for Spartan women.
> Spartan women actually were required to go through similarly rigorous
> military-type training and physical activities as the men. They were not
soldiers,
> but were expected to produce healthy children for the Spartan state.

And you know this how?

Aristotle certainly disagrees with your viewpoint.

Magic Nose Goblin

Jul 15, 2003, 12:54:04 AM7/15/03
"nethead8" <neth...@cox.net> wrote in message news:<2gGQa.7484$u51.3785@fed1read05>...
> "C.V. Compton Shaw" <mis...@swbell.net> wrote in message news:3F119924...@swbell.net...
> > Feminism destroyed the ancient Greek city state of Sparta.
> > Aristotle in his illustrious book, "Politics", describes how
> > that nation and culture of ancient Sparta declined and fell
>
> One must keep in mind that most commentary from that time, and indeed
> most history of ancient Greece, is viewed through the lens of Sparta's enemy,
> Athens......
>
> No one would mistake modern day American feminists for Spartan women.
> Spartan women actually were required to go through similarly rigorous
> military-type training and physical activities as the men. They were not
> soldiers, but were expected to produce healthy children for the Spartan
> state.

True. The modern whiny bitch feminist is the antithesis of health.

BrettG

Jul 15, 2003, 4:54:30 AM7/15/03

"Hyerdahl1" <hyer...@aol.com> wrote

> The con game is WHAT it is EVEN when the male enemy is at the male gates.

There is no more such a thing as an "old con game" as there are
such things as "male gates" or "penis standards" Carol Ann.

You're just making it up as you go along, aren't you?