Winglets

ZZyXX

Apr 27, 2017, 3:42:03 PM4/27/17
Would they have been useful on allied aircraft during WWII. I can
imagine in the pacific it would have given an extra fuel margin for the
long flights or at least made the long flights shorter

Don Phillipson

Apr 30, 2017, 8:01:21 AM4/30/17
"ZZyXX" <zzz...@CampSoda-RestorationProject.null> wrote in message

> Would they have been useful on allied aircraft during WWII. I can imagine
> in the pacific it would have given an extra fuel margin for the long
> flights or at least made the long flights shorter

Wikipedia points out the principle was patented in 1897 and implemented
in the Heinkel Volksjaeger (He 162.) The practical question seems
benefit/cost (exemplified in the differences in design and manufacturing
costs of the wings of Hawker and Supermarine fighters.)
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Jim Wilkins

Apr 30, 2017, 2:06:33 PM4/30/17
"ZZyXX" <zzz...@CampSoda-RestorationProject.null> wrote in message
> Would they have been useful on allied aircraft during WWII. I can
> imagine in the pacific it would have given an extra fuel margin for
> the long flights or at least made the long flights shorter

Would winglets be useful on today's fighters?

john Szalay

Apr 30, 2017, 6:04:00 PM4/30/17
"Jim Wilkins" <murat...@gmail.com> wrote in news:oe530i$30r$1@dont-
email.me:
Opinion:

Unlikely, and would be an issue with blocking some vision.

fighters are short range aircraft, extending range with aerial
refueling. why give up useable visablity options for a only a slight gain
in range.

my 2¢

ZZyXX

May 2, 2017, 3:28:43 PM5/2/17
Question: do winglets have to angle upwards? downward would eliminate,
at least somewhat, visibility problems

Jim Wilkins

May 2, 2017, 4:27:03 PM5/2/17
"ZZyXX" <zz...@CampSoda-RestorationProject.null> wrote in message
Wing fences help do the same things. Some Soviet designs had them.

https://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/22030/winglets-vs-sharklets-vs-blended-wingtips
"Reduces maneuverability which is why you don't see a winglet on a
fighter jet"

Also WW2 fighter designers weren't too concerned with reducing wingtip
vortex turbulence that disturbs the closely following aircraft.
-jsw