Influence on American Society

leto...@nospam.net

Oct 17, 2003, 5:27:22 AM10/17/03
In <i6usov0c3n1b14n2n...@4ax.com>, on 10/16/03
at 06:55 AM, Matt Osborn <msos...@attglobal.net> said:

>On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 16:15:15 -0400, json...@yahoo.com (John
>Hughes) wrote:

>>Check out the War Powers Act of 1973, which requires regular
>>consultation (by the President) with Capitol Hill in contemplating
>>military action, written notification within 48 hours of such
>>action and its "estimated scope or duration" and congressional
>>consent through either a declaration of war or "specific statutory
>>authorization." If such approval is not granted in 60 days, the
>>president is supposed to withdraw U.S. forces within 30 days.
>>http://www.luminet.net/~tgort/wpa.htm

>The War Powers Act is of doubtful legality. The contention is that the
>legislature cannot enact laws that are binding upon either the executive or
>judicial branch of governement.

I have no idea what you are trying to contend there -- and I'm
trying to figure out what you left out -- because but the idea
that laws passed by congress are not binding other branches of the
government is nonsense. They might be found unconstitutional, but
until that point they are binding.
-----
[Moderator Note: All SHWV messages, FAQs And related files are archived at
http://www.vwip.org/vwiphome.html. The posting of an article
by the moderators of SHWV only indicates the article is within the Charter
and does not imply agreement with, nor the correctness of, the article.]

The e-mail submission address for SHWV is Vietnam...@newsguy.com.

Matt Osborn

Oct 18, 2003, 4:44:35 PM10/18/03
On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 05:27:22 -0400, in soc.history.war.vietnam you
wrote:

>In <i6usov0c3n1b14n2n...@4ax.com>, on 10/16/03
> at 06:55 AM, Matt Osborn <msos...@attglobal.net> said:
>
>>On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 16:15:15 -0400, json...@yahoo.com (John
>>Hughes) wrote:
>
>>>Check out the War Powers Act of 1973, which requires regular
>>>consultation (by the President) with Capitol Hill in contemplating
>>>military action, written notification within 48 hours of such
>>>action and its "estimated scope or duration" and congressional
>>>consent through either a declaration of war or "specific statutory
>>>authorization." If such approval is not granted in 60 days, the
>>>president is supposed to withdraw U.S. forces within 30 days.
>>>http://www.luminet.net/~tgort/wpa.htm
>
>>The War Powers Act is of doubtful legality. The contention is that the
>>legislature cannot enact laws that are binding upon either the executive or
>>judicial branch of governement.
>
>I have no idea what you are trying to contend there -- and I'm
>trying to figure out what you left out -- because but the idea
>that laws passed by congress are not binding other branches of the
>government is nonsense. They might be found unconstitutional, but
>until that point they are binding.

The powers of each of the three branches of government are clearly
specified within the constitution. The three branches are
co-equal in power and none has the authority to usurp the
authority of the others.

The War Powers Act cannot be enforced and has been all but ignored
since its passage. It is binding upon no one and has not been
found unconstitutional. Ergo, it is of doubtful legality.

Tom Lacombe

Oct 19, 2003, 7:37:36 PM10/19/03
On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 16:15:15 -0400, John Ramsay
<jra...@mergetel.com>
wrote:

>wimaa wrote:
>
>> Dear Sir, Madam,
>>
>> I have to make an assignment for school about the Vietnam War.
>> The specific assignment is: what influence had the Vietnam War
>> on the American Society.
>> I have searched the internet for information on this topic but I
>> can't find very usefull information.
>> Could you help me with internet sources dealing with the influence
>> that the War had on America, during and after?
>>
>> Sincerely,
>> Marsha de Nooijer
>> The Netherlands
>
>Sounds like you did not adjust your search terms.
>'Vietnam War' is too general.
>Using your full title is too specific.
>I just did a Google search for
>'Vietnam War American Society'
>and came up with items you would find useful.

John is absolutely right sometimes you need only adjust your
search terms. That being said I would like to mention a few ways
I think the USA changed. Lots of young men were exposed to
drug use. We decided to use overwhelming force when considering
engagements. The military became volunteer, the draft no longer
used. My last point would be that the average citizen would
question the deployment of our forces overseas. Unfortunately in
my opinion, this oversight seemed to vanish when we decided to
remove the Iraqi regime.
www.loftpress.com/bookmain/lightrucmain