Russia builds up massive military arsenal in Arctic,

a425couple

Apr 5, 2021, 5:53:53 PM4/5/21
from
https://nypost.com/2021/04/05/russia-builds-up-massive-military-arsenal-in-arctic-new-satellite-images-show/

(CNN also had similar.)

Russia builds up massive military arsenal in Arctic, new satellite
images show
By Yaron SteinbuchApril 5, 2021 | 10:55am | Updated

0:16
/
0:52

Ukraine military to conduct joint drills with NATO allies as Russia
threat looms

Russia is amassing a formidable array of military weapons in the Arctic
– including the Poseidon 2M39, a stealth torpedo that has been dubbed
the “super-weapon,” according to new satellite images.

The nuclear-powered torpedo is intended to sneak past coastal defenses,
like those in the US, and deliver a whopping warhead of multiple
megatons, CNN reported.

Christopher Ford, who served as assistant secretary of state for
International Security and Non-Proliferation until January, has said
that the Poseidon is designed to “inundate US coastal cities with
radioactive tsunamis.”

Russian officials said the torpedo is intended to deliver a warhead of
several megatons – whose radioactive waves would leave wide stretches of
a targeted coastline uninhabitable for decades, according to the network.

And now, satellite photos taken by space tech company Maxar for CNN have
revealed a build-up of Russian military bases and hardware — along with
underground storage sites – on the Arctic coastline.

Satellite images show the build up of Russia's military presence in the
Arctic.
Satellite images show the reported build up of Russia’s military
presence in the Arctic.
Satellite image ©2021 Maxar Technologies

The stockpile in the High North area includes bombers, MiG31BM jets and
new radar systems near the Alaskan coast, according to the chilling report.

Norwegian Vice Admiral Nils Andreas Stensønes, head of the country’s
intelligence, told CNN that his agency has assessed the Poseidon as
“part of the new type of nuclear deterrent weapons. And it is in a
testing phase.”

Russia’s reported military inventory includes bombers, MiG31BM jets and
new radar systems.
Satellite image ©2021 Maxar Technologies

Stensønes, who declined to elaborate on the weapon’s testing progress,
added: “But it’s a strategic system and it’s aimed at targets … and has
an influence far beyond the region in which they test it currently.”

American and NATO forces have matched the Russian military build-up in
the area with troop and equipment movements, according to CNN.

In 2018, Russian President Vladimir Putin pledged a new generation of
weapons as part of a global strategy.

Mikhail Svetlov/Getty Images
US B-1 Lancer bombers stationed in a Norwegian air base have recently
completed missions in the Barents Sea, for example, and US officials
have acknowledged that the USS Seawolf fast attack submarine also was in
the area.

“There’s clearly a military challenge from the Russians in the Arctic,”
a senior State Department official told CNN, including their refitting
of old Cold War bases and build-up of new facilities on the Kola Peninsula.

“That has implications for the United States and its allies, not least
because it creates the capacity to project power up to the North
Atlantic,” the official added.

The bases seen in the satellite images along the Arctic coast are inside
Russian territory and part of a legitimate defense of its borders and
coastline, CNN reported.

In November, Russia claimed the successful test of the Tsirkon anti-ship
hypersonic cruise missile.
Satellite image ©2021 Maxar Technologies

But American officials have voiced concern that the forces might be used
to establish de facto control over other areas of the Arctic and soon to
be ice-free amid a climate emergency, according to the report.

“Russia is refurbishing Soviet-era airfields and radar installations,
constructing new ports and search-and-rescue centers, and building up
its fleet of nuclear- and conventionally-powered icebreakers,” Pentagon
spokesman Lt. Col. Thomas Campbell told CNN.

An “onyx” anti-ship cruise missile is launched by the Northern Fleet in
Alexandra Land, near the reported Arctic “trefoil” base.
Russian Ministry of Defense

“It is also expanding its network of air and coastal defense missile
systems, thus strengthening its anti-access and area-denial capabilities
over key portions of the Arctic,” he said.

Satellite images show the reported build up of Russia’s military
presence in the Arctic.
Satellite image ©2021 Maxar Technologies

Campbell added that Russia claimed the successful test of the Tsirkon
anti-ship hypersonic cruise missile in November.

The Tsirkon and the Poseidon are part of a new generation of weapons
that Russian strongman Vladimir Putin pledged in 2018 as strategic
global game changers, CNN reported.

The Pentagon spokesman said also said that Russia sought to exploit the
“Northern Sea Route” as a “major international shipping lane,” as he
voiced concerns over the rules the Kremlin was seeking to impose on
ships using the route.

“Russian laws governing NSR transits exceed Russia’s authority under
international law,” Campbell told CNN.

Russia has insisted that its goals in the Arctic are economic and peaceful.
Satellite image ©2021 Maxar Technologies

“They require any vessel transiting the NSR through international waters
to have a Russian pilot onboard to guide the vessel. Russia is also
attempting to require foreign vessels to obtain permission before
entering the NSR,” he added.

The Russian Foreign Ministry declined to comment to CNN, yet Moscow has
long insisted that its goals in the Arctic are economic and peaceful.

The Poseidon unmanned underwater vehicle
The Tsirkon and the Poseidon are part of a new generation of weapons
that Russian strongman Vladimir Putin pledged in 2018 as strategic
global game changers.
Wikimedia
FILED UNDER ARCTIC , NUCLEAR WEAPONS ,

Byker

Apr 6, 2021, 3:21:33 PM4/6/21
"a425couple" wrote in message news:s4g0s...@news4.newsguy.com...

> from
> https://nypost.com/2021/04/05/russia-builds-up-massive-military-arsenal-in-arctic-new-satellite-images-show/

Who do they plan on going to war with? Canuckistan?

Jim Wilkins

Apr 7, 2021, 7:25:05 AM4/7/21
"Byker" wrote in message
------------------------------

They are alarmed because NORAD tracks Santa but their radars can't, so they
suspect we have his tech. Imagine an undetectable airplane that can circle
the globe and drop a bomb down every chimney.

Saint Nick was generally very benevolent but he could turn violent if pushed
too far:
https://www.stnicholascenter.org/how-to-celebrate/resources/articles/st-nicholas-and-justice/my-kind-of-santa

"The debate ended suddenly when Nicholas punched out Arius then and there on
the floor of the council! This gives new meaning to the ditty: “He’s making
a list and checking it twice, he’s going to find out who’s naughty or nice!”

a425couple

Apr 7, 2021, 2:20:26 PM4/7/21
An incredible amount of trade goes between Europe and
China. The costs of it can influence international relations.

"The navigation distance via the Northern Sea Route (NSR) from
a Northwest-European port to the Far East is approximately 40%
shorter compared to the route via the Suez Canal. The shorter
distance may facilitate more than a doubling of vessels'
operational energy efficiency performance.
The Northern Sea Route versus the Suez Canal: cases from

Consider:

About 804,000 results (0.46 seconds)
Image result for NSR transits
NSR Shipping traffic – Transits in 2019
Last year, 29 transit vessels passed through the NSR, having completed a
total of 37 voyages. Most of the voyages were made by vessels with ice
class Arc 4 – 17 voyages, followed by Ice 1 – 6 voyages, Ice 3 and Arc 5
–– 5 voyages each (see chart below).Feb 20, 2020

NSR Transits 2019 | Northern Sea Route Information
Officehttps://arctic-lio.com › Maps
About featured snippets

Feedback

Northern Sea Route Information Office |https://arctic-lio.com
NSR Shipping Traffic – Activities in January-February 2021 In the first
two months of 2021, 317 voyages were registered – 160 in January and 157
in February.
‎News · ‎Maps · ‎Data Visualizations · ‎Statistics

2.6 Mn Tons of Cargo Transits NSR in January | SeaNewshttps://seanews.ru
Feb 4, 2021 — 2.6 Mn Tons of Cargo Transits NSR in January. During
January 2021, 2.598 mn tons was carried via the Northern Sea Route, up
8.3% ...

Northern Sea Route Shipping Statistics - PAMEhttps://www.pame.is
A transit through the NSR can be defined as a vessel navigating between
Pacific and Atlantic Ocean, but its route can vary as shown in the map
above.

NSR Transits. Never before have so many vessels sailed through the
Northern Sea Route. During 2013, 71 vessels compared to 46 in 2012, 41
in 2011 and 4 in ...

Northern Sea Route Transit Traffic Remains
Modesthttps://www.highnorthnews.com › northern-sea-route-tr...
Feb 12, 2021 — Many experts believed there would be an explosion in
transit shipping along the NSR, with ships going through from the
Atlantic to the Pacific, as ...

A New Dawn for Arctic Shipping – Winter Transits on the
...https://www.highnorthnews.com › new-dawn-arctic-shi...
Jan 19, 2021 — This week three of its icebreaking Arc7 LNG carriers
transited the Northern Sea Route (NSR) without icebreaker escorts,
delivering natural gas ...

The NSR Transit Study: The Economics of the NSR ... -
ARCTIShttp://www.arctis-search.com › The+NSR+Transit+Stud...
The NSR Transit Study: The Economics of the NSR. A Feasibility Study of
the Northern Sea Route as an Alternative to the International Shipping
Market.

Christophe de Margerie finalising first NSR transit in February
...https://www.offshore-energy.biz › christophe-de-marge...
Feb 19, 2021 — Russian shipowner Sovcomflot's arctic LNG tanker is
transiting the eastern sector of the Northern Sea Route accompanied by
an icebreaker on ...

Russia Tightens Control Over Northern Sea
The Kremlin has formulated new limitations for foreign warships
transiting the ... several months after the French Navy conducted a
transit of the NSR with the ...

George Black

Apr 7, 2021, 3:49:31 PM4/7/21
Imagine for one moment just how hard it is to maintain a military
presence in a climate that will kill the unprotected in minutes

Rudy Crayola

Apr 7, 2021, 5:11:31 PM4/7/21
They are planning to deprive us of all that ice!! The horror of it all!

PaxPerPoten

Apr 7, 2021, 5:14:11 PM4/7/21
I suggest that we send Rudy Canoza up to monitor the Russian movements.
Wannabe can accompany him.

PPP.vcf

Jim Wilkins

Apr 7, 2021, 7:04:28 PM4/7/21
"George Black" wrote in message

On 7/04/21 11:24 pm, Jim Wilkins wrote:
> "Byker" wrote in message
>
>Imagine for one moment just how hard it is to maintain a military presence
>in a climate that will kill the unprotected in minutes

I grew up in New Hampshire, skiing and winter climbing on mountains whose
summits have the climate of northern Labrador.

One October I hiked Mt Washington in a freezing drizzle that deterred all
but a handful from driving up the auto road though it wasn't bad enough to
stop several hundred of us from climbing the trails on foot. I talked to a
driver who grumbled about the dismal weather and couldn't believe that we
hikers were actually enjoying the swirling ice storm at the top.

In December 1972 I was assigned to a mobile communications center perched on
a snow-covered mountain top near Fulda Germany. We lived the simple life of
arctic explorers, not shaving or ever taking all our clothes off.
Fortunately nothing I was trained to repair broke. Fixing a Teletype with
gloves or frozen bare fingers would have been a challenge.

At that time I was accustomed to being sent out on midnight repair missions
and then sleeping in my car. The hex tent on the mountain top was warmer.

PaxPerPoten

Apr 8, 2021, 5:48:27 PM4/8/21
Kind of sound like feeding Cattle in the winters in the Dakota's,
Wyoming, Montana etc. Siberia sends its winds etc here. ;-)

PPP.vcf

Jim Wilkins

Apr 8, 2021, 9:51:33 PM4/8/21
"PaxPerPoten" wrote in message news:s4ntn9$dms$1...@dont-email.me...

On 4/7/2021 6:04 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
> "George Black" wrote in message
>
> On 7/04/21 11:24 pm, Jim Wilkins wrote:
>> "Byker" wrote in message
>>
>> Imagine for one moment just how hard it is to maintain a military
>> presence in a climate that will kill the unprotected in minutes
>
> I grew up in New Hampshire, skiing and winter climbing on mountains
> whose summits have the climate of northern Labrador.

Kind of sound like feeding Cattle in the winters in the Dakota's,
Wyoming, Montana etc. Siberia sends its winds etc here. ;-)

--------------------

I've heard Dakota winters are harsher, in New England severe cold spells
don't usually last very long. The worst winter weather here is freezing rain
because fallen trees destroy the power grid.

PaxPerPoten

Apr 9, 2021, 4:27:24 PM4/9/21
We sometimes have the same problem, Most Ranchers have back up
Generators. Several hundred thousands of dollars(sometimes borrowed) in
cattle require automatic cattle feeders etc need to be kept operating as
those steers burn a lot of calories keeping from freezing. The Hi
Tekkies want us to make all our vehicles and equipment Battery run. That
will go over well(Sarcasm)

PPP.vcf

Jim Wilkins

Apr 9, 2021, 5:21:03 PM4/9/21
"PaxPerPoten" wrote in message news:s4qdba$tpo$1...@dont-email.me...
----------------------

https://www.westernwatersheds.org/2008/12/farmers-freak-about-potential-cow-tax-on-cows-methane-emission/

PaxPerPoten

Apr 10, 2021, 5:40:48 PM4/10/21
When our hard working Ranchers wade around in Cattle manure every day
and have the Job of pulling Calves and providing expensive Veterinarian
services to protect the food we all eat, it is hard to sympathize with
such legislation. I do wonder that these selfsame Politicians that
overeat our beef, Lamb, Chicken Turkey etc and then vent their assholes
to the air we all breath shouldn't be limited to mush diets during their
tenor in public office? The pollution from their oral ventings is bad
enough. Pray to God that these Pols do not destroy the Market basket
that the people of our farm/ranch earth produce. It is a tough Job and
new volunteers are getting fewer and fewer as the older producers die
off. The expense to even start is phenomenal. Land alone runs about
$15K/acre and above, here. And it takes a minimum of 1200 to 1500 acres
of good land to operate and actually make a living. Good land is rapidly
disappearing to developers. I spoke to a California farmer who says his
family has been in business for several generations and with the Price
of California land and taxes they are on the way out. They will likely
sell out for close to a $Billion or more. Yet have problems with making
expenses now. The Chinese have resumed buying Soy Beans, Wheat, and
beef/chicken/Turkeys etc. Which has driven the Commodities market up
some. Which helps many who were sweating this pandemic market drop out.
The Agricultural College in Ames Iowa has some real stats on all of
this. It is worth the search. Warren Buffet, our Southern Neighbor in
Nebraska has made some statements regarding the future of food
production. Keep in mind the Commodities Market is a controlled market.
Ranchers and Farmers do not get to set the prices of their products or
the price of materials used to produce them. In WWII the Government
protected these assets as a Strategic Commodities for the war effort.
We need to rethink that for this timeline as we seem to have fools at
the Helm of our great American and I can see the shoals closing in on us
from China, The Middle East, and possibly Russia. I am not sure our
allies trust us anymore either.
PPP.vcf