Chronology software/database?

phuile

Jul 21, 2009, 4:14:07 PM7/21/09
I am looking for a chronology software that allows me to input dates
and notes on historical events and can store these data and display it
in a timeline or similar ways. The graphical display is not as
important as the fact that I can insert dates and events randomly and
the software/database would store them and display them in a
chronological sequence. Search function is important too. I would also
need to be able to say, search for a period and see what events are
around that period.
Does anyone know of anything like this? I know of several "timeline"
programs but they are too graphically and not as much a notes-link-to-
database type of tool I need.
Thanks for any advice.

Steve Hayes

Jul 22, 2009, 12:27:43 AM7/22/09

I have long felt the need for such software, which I think would be useful for
historians, biographers, family historians, local historians and others.

I tried to develop such a database in MS Access, and hoped that people who
were more into softwere development would help me refine and test it, but i
couldn't find anyone else who was interested.

I've discussed it in the past in soc.genealogy.computing.

The database has three main tables -- Events, People and Places.

Events are entered so that they can be sorted chronologically, with a brief
description.

The Places database could show what events took place in a particular place.

The People database would show people involved in the event, and in what
capacity they were involved -- participant, witness, host, guest etc.

I still feel the need for such a program, and I'm sure many others would find
it useful too, but I'm not a software developer, so I can just describe the
kind of thing I want.

In the absence of that, however, I've found askSam to be a useful program for
research notes.

http://www.asksam.com/

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Blog: http://methodius.blogspot.com

Marvin

Jul 22, 2009, 5:01:41 PM7/22/09
I think it could be done with a spreadsheet, and a graphics
program if the graphing capability of the spreadsheet
software isn't adequate.

Steve Hayes

Jul 23, 2009, 11:05:20 AM7/23/09

It can be done, provided one remembers to enter dates in a TEXT field (and not
as dates), in the format yyyy-mm-dd.

That means that if the month and day are not known, on can enter 1347-00-00,
for example, and it will still sort correctly.

Most spreadsheets cannot correctly handle dates in the date field for more
than a centurry ago, and they have problems with dates like c1500.

I have revived discussion of this in the genealogy software discussion forum
at:

news

Jul 24, 2009, 11:08:57 AM7/24/09
"phuile" <phu...@yahoo.ca> kirjoitti
viestiss�:1a97268c-1ff1-413d...@12g2000pri.googlegroups.com...

Try Legacy genealogy software:
http://www.legacyfamilytreestore.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1&Click=1192

If you have also places involved Legacy can show it in map.
You shoud enter events (in random order) to one person (doupleclick person
and Add-event)
You can also add "overlay" into txt-files C:\Legacy\Timelines\English
Born and Died dates control what timeframe will be visible.

If this suit to you but want different wording maybe you could join
translation teams ;)
http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/InternationalLegacyVersions.asp
... and make your own version.

HTH

.

phuile

Jul 26, 2009, 1:20:09 PM7/26/09
So I gather that there is no tools at the moment for serious academic
work in this category? Yes, I think probably write something myself.
But I thought that perhaps there are something out there since there
are so many historians! I am actually looking for something a little
more sophisticated such as linking to my notes when I read, and have
dates and events spread all across a long period (from prehistoric to
now).
Thanks for the input. I will go and take a look at the places
suggested, but if someone know of any more solutions, please add it
here.

Steve Hayes

Jul 27, 2009, 1:05:07 AM7/27/09
On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 13:20:09 -0400, phuile <phu...@yahoo.ca> wrote:

>So I gather that there is no tools at the moment for serious academic
>work in this category? Yes, I think probably write something myself.

If you are going to write something yourself, please look at the discussion
at:

I feel the need for such software, but I've given up trying to write it myself
because I'm a slow learner, and no sooner do I learn how to write it in one
database program than the program becomes obsolete and one has to start
learning again from scratch.

Jack Campin - bogus address

Aug 6, 2009, 8:01:33 PM8/6/09
> I am looking for a chronology software that allows me to input dates
> and notes on historical events and can store these data and display it
> in a timeline or similar ways. The graphical display is not as
> important as the fact that I can insert dates and events randomly and
> the software/database would store them and display them in a
> chronological sequence. Search function is important too. I would also
> need to be able to say, search for a period and see what events are
> around that period.
> Does anyone know of anything like this? I know of several "timeline"
> programs but they are too graphically and not as much a notes-link-to-
> database type of tool I need.

Doesn't a lot of project management software do that? The very
old version of MS Project I have (for MacOS 7) does most of it.
I thought of using it to plan out a cast-of-thousands historical
novel once, and it looked to be up to the job.

Or just do it in Prolog. There's a tiny example in Clocksin and
Mellish's book which could easily be expanded.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === <http://www.campin.me.uk> ====
****** I killfile Google posts - email me if you want to be whitelisted ******

Steve Hayes

Aug 7, 2009, 1:04:06 AM8/7/09
On Thu, 06 Aug 2009 20:01:33 -0400, Jack Campin - bogus address
<bo...@purr.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Or just do it in Prolog. There's a tiny example in Clocksin and
>Mellish's book which could easily be expanded.

What Prolog compilers are available these days?

Last one I saw was TurboProlog, about 20 years ago.

I think I still have it somewhere, and TurboPascal, but programs written in
the latter crash on computers with high clock speeds.