Connections between old civilizations

John Gibbs

Sep 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/8/98
Thanks for all of the responses about Atlantis; they proved to be an
interesting read.
Now I have another somewhat related question, regarding some
similarities between old (I'm not sure if I should say 'ancient')
civilizations. For starters, does anyone find it interesting that many
societies around the world, who were supposedly separated by
unreacheable distances and time, all used pyramids? i.e. Egypt (whose
pyramids may or may not have been built by Egyptians), South America,
and Southern Asia (feel free to add more). Secondly, why is it that
many of these pyramids seem to be aligned after astrological patterns?
This feature is apparent in Egyptian, Thai, and Maya pyramids; none of
these societies have been shown to have any contact with each other, yet
all three place their pyramids in the positions of particular star
patterns, in a very precise manner. Do you think that these cultural
similarities are just a grand coincidence, or do you, like me, think
that there is some kind of root culture that these traits originated
from? For instance, consider the following: If one goes to Japan, the
people speak Japanese, practice Japanese customs, but yet wear western
style clothing and build western-style buildings. The same could be
said for a wide array of nations around the world; that is, they have
many traits of their own culture, but they all share common traits that
originated in the dominant, western culture. I think this idea could be
applied to ancient cultures (thus my previous question regarding
Atlantis) I think it is a possibility that Altantis could have been
this dominant root culture from which the Egyptians, South Americans,
and South Asians (among others) gathered many of their characteristics.
If one does not buy the Atlantis idea, how can these similarities be
explained? Isn't it mathmatically improbable that such unrelated
socities would develop so similarly?
Also, does anyone share the idea that the Egyptian pyramids were built
at around 10,500 BC? In light of the fact that there is no evidence to
show that the pyramids were used as tombs or treasure chambers, what was
their use?
Thanks.

Dinesh Naidu

Sep 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/9/98
John Gibbs wrote:

> If one does not buy the Atlantis idea, how can these similarities be
> explained? Isn't it mathmatically improbable that such unrelated
> socities would develop so similarly?

Aren't pyramids one of the most stable building forms? For people without
sophisticated technology, the best way to build a monument meant to last for
eternity would be to build a stone pyramid. Also, its form is not very
anthropomorphic, so it would more clearly serve a mystical rather than
mundane function. The use of stars etc... as coordinates or reference points
is common in many places. They seemed a reliable way to determine location
as well as to allow for a more spiritual connection with the heavans.
Perhaps one might argue that Chinese or Greek civilisations, unlike Indian,
Mayan or South East Asian civiliations, were more humanist? The place of
divinity in the latter cases seems to have been more entrenched and all
encompassing, even oppresive.

Just a thought.

Dinesh.

John Gibbs

Sep 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/9/98

It is very easy to give this kind of analysis in hindsight, but I still
find it extremely improbable that cultures so far apart with no apparent
connection to each other had such similarities.  In other words, I don't
buy this analysis; it is so convenient and well-fitting for our time
frame, but seems quite unlikely historically and mathematically. Where
else have such architectural and cultural similarities existed, in cases
where none of the groups had contact with each other?(maybe I'm missing
something?) I think that there was a "father" influence; a dominant
culture whose widespread influence inspired it's own legacy to be
carried out, in architecture and custom, throughout the world, much the
same way the US does today. However, I believe that there was even more
of a connection then: linguistic solidarity. Evidence is now beginning
to surface which points to the fact that the inhabitants of the world
may have all spoken the same language at one point long ago. Anyone
believe this idea?
Well, that's just my idea (however uninformed it may be)

Horned...@rocketmail.com

Sep 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/10/98
In article <35F52988...@NOSPAM.stanford.edu>,

John Gibbs <jo...@NOSPAM.stanford.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
> Thanks for all of the responses about Atlantis; they proved to be an
> interesting read.
> Now I have another somewhat related question, regarding some
> similarities between old (I'm not sure if I should say 'ancient')
> civilizations. For starters, does anyone find it interesting that many
> societies around the world, who were supposedly separated by
> unreacheable distances and time, all used pyramids? i.e. Egypt (whose
> pyramids may or may not have been built by Egyptians), South America,
> and Southern Asia (feel free to add more).

That figures into theories about Atlantis, space aliens, ect. They being the
ones that told & instructed the locals in each area to build the pyramids.
However, since the building methods, purpose, and great differances in time
between the stuctures; them being linked is rather remote.

Secondly, why is it that
> many of these pyramids seem to be aligned after astrological patterns?

Because the sky was where the gods lived, so astrology was rather important
because of it.

> This feature is apparent in Egyptian, Thai, and Maya pyramids; none of
> these societies have been shown to have any contact with each other, yet
> all three place their pyramids in the positions of particular star
> patterns, in a very precise manner.

They all looked up at the same sky & saw the same things.

Do you think that these cultural
> similarities are just a grand coincidence, or do you, like me, think
> that there is some kind of root culture that these traits originated
> from?

Other then the pyramids, there isn't much similarities between Egyptian,
Mayan, and Cambodian cultures. Also Egypt streches back to 3500 BC, the
Mayans only to 500 ad, and the Cambodians to the 800s ad.

For instance, consider the following: If one goes to Japan, the
> people speak Japanese, practice Japanese customs, but yet wear western
> style clothing and build western-style buildings.

Until the 1860s the Japanese had been isolated from the west for hundreds of
years though & it took a Civil War to change the minds of the elite. And being
defeated in WWII by the US & then having the US re-build Japan from the ground
up kinda of also made a great impact into accepting many things "Western".

The same could be
> said for a wide array of nations around the world; that is, they have
> many traits of their own culture, but they all share common traits that
> originated in the dominant, western culture.

Many things in the "western culture" originate from the Near East though.
Babylonia, Egypt, Persia, Israel, ect. And other things such as the compass,
gunpowder, paper, ect. come from China.

I think this idea could be
> applied to ancient cultures (thus my previous question regarding
> Atlantis) I think it is a possibility that Altantis could have been
> this dominant root culture from which the Egyptians, South Americans,
> and South Asians (among others) gathered many of their characteristics.

That raises the question of where Atlantis was and why the great differances
in the Egyptian & Mayan & Cambodian civilizations? And why the Mayans didn't
have bronze or iron working or cattle or horses or chickens, and why didn't
the Egyptians have chilis, cocoa, & maize.

> If one does not buy the Atlantis idea, how can these similarities be
> explained?

How can the great differances be explained? If all are from a root
"Atlantis" culture, then why don't the cultures speak languages that are
related? Why don't these civilizations have the same technologies? Why don't
these civilizations have the same polictical & religous organizations? Why are
there such great time gaps between the rise & fall of each civilization? ect.
ect.

Isn't it mathmatically improbable that such unrelated
> socities would develop so similarly?

It's a mathamatically improbability that the Human race has even developed &
survived & thrived this long. 95% of all species ever to inhabit the Earth
are extinct via nature not by man.....

> Also, does anyone share the idea that the Egyptian pyramids were built
> at around 10,500 BC?

Not by any Egyptologist...

In light of the fact that there is no evidence to
> show that the pyramids were used as tombs or treasure chambers,

? There is evidence that the pyramids were used as tombs....

Nothing personal but you should read a bit more on the subject, rather
the just reling on a TLC program. Old Graham Hancock, who did the program, is
rather notorius in history circles.

----Oscar Schlaf---

John Gibbs

Sep 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/10/98

> Nothing personal but you should read a bit more on the subject, rather
>the just reling on a TLC program. Old Graham Hancock, who did the program,
is
>rather notorius in history circles.
>

> ----Oscar Schlaf---

The reason I am here is to find information in the first place. I never
claimed to be an archaeology expert, just poking around.
Thanks for your input anyway.

Doug Weller

Sep 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/15/98
In article <35F696F9...@NOSPAM.stanford.edu>, on Wed, 09 Sep 1998
10:55:53 -0400, jo...@NOSPAM.stanford.edu said...

> However, I believe that there was even more
> of a connection then: linguistic solidarity. Evidence is now beginning
> to surface which points to the fact that the inhabitants of the world
> may have all spoken the same language at one point long ago. Anyone
> believe this idea?

May be true, but this is LONG ago, long before the pyramids, at a time
when those who spoke lived in a fairly compact geographical location.

Doug
--
Doug Weller Moderator, sci.archaeology.moderated
Submissions to:sci-archaeol...@medieval.org

trey...@my-dejanews.com

Sep 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/16/98
In article <MPG.1068d9d9f...@news.demon.co.uk>,

dwe...@ramtops.demon.co.uk (Doug Weller) wrote:
> In article <35F696F9...@NOSPAM.stanford.edu>, on Wed, 09 Sep 1998
> 10:55:53 -0400, jo...@NOSPAM.stanford.edu said...
> > However, I believe that there was even more
> > of a connection then: linguistic solidarity. Evidence is now beginning
> > to surface which points to the fact that the inhabitants of the world
> > may have all spoken the same language at one point long ago. Anyone
> > believe this idea?
> >

> May be true, but this is LONG ago, long before the pyramids, at a time
> when those who spoke lived in a fairly compact geographical location.
>
> Doug
> --

I guess you are referring to a common language group before the advent of the
Indo-European language, since there are many languages in the world not
related to that. I am not a professional scholar but this interests me.
Please list any sources you have related to this.

Tom