Post Express Obasanjo and the Igbos

Dr. Nwachukwu Anakwenze

Mar 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/26/99
Editorial
Date of Article: 02/07/99
Topic: Obasanjo and the Igbos
Author: Uchebundu Okereke
Full Text of Article:

General Obasanjo has been styled by some people as the conqueror of Biafra.
There is nothing wrong in that, since in war, there must be losers and
winners. The question here is whether he treated the Igbos well as a
conqueror and later Head of State. In 1975, as General Murtala Mohammed's
second in command, the Igbos were given only two states (Anambra and Imo),
whereas the Yorubas were awarded four states (Lagos, Oyo, Ogun and Ondo).
Since federal allocations (such as in civil service and army recruitments,
spaces in federal educational institutions, financial allocations, etc.)
were based on the equality of states, it meant that the Yorubas had double
the opportunities allocated to the Igbos. Although Obasanjo cannot in
fairness be solely blamed for this barefaced cheating, he should have
protected his weak southern brothers. As Head of State, he visited Owerri
in 1978 or so and, as expected, the people of Imo State made the usual
demands for good roads, federal presence and industries. The General
growled at them: "What the hell have you been doing?" But what could the
people do without federal support? And what do you tell your conqueror when
he is armed to the teeth, and you have nothing?
General Obasanjo later proceeded to the University of Nigeria, Nsukka.
Professor Chinua Achebe recounted the experience in his own words in his
book "The Trouble With Nigeria" (page 15):
"In 1978 or 79, General Obasanjo paid an official visit to the University
of Nigeria, Nsukka. Of the academic community assembled in the Niger Room
of the Continuing Education Centre and which rose respectfully to its feet
on his entry, General Obasanjo made a totally unexpected demand. He asked
them to recite the National Pledge! A few mumbling, and then stony silence.
"You see, "said the General, bristling with hostility, "You do not even
know the National Pledge." No doubt, he saw in this failure an indictable
absence of patriotism among a group he had always held with great
suspicion.
One may ask, how many adult Nigerians of Achebe's generation, and even
younger, of all tribes can recite the National Anthem and Pledge? But
again, one can say any rubbish to those he had conquered in war. But such
patronizing statements hurt the afflicted very much!
I have not had much need to travel across the Niger, as I have spent most
of my life in the Enyimba City. But another issue was that roads in
Igboland were so neglected while Obasanjo was Head of State that good old
Sam Mbakwe was forced to weep openly in response to the poor state of the
roads in Aba in 1978. This and other outbursts on the Igbo situation earned
him quick notice, and the governorship of Imo State in 1979. Governor
Mbakwe repaired the roads within a short time. In the rainy reason of 1979,
the Ijebu Ode-Benin road, which is the lifeline of easterners and mid
westerners, was abandoned by Obasanjo's government, and the old forgotten
route through Ibadan, Ife and Akure was the only alternative for the
travellers, some of whom spent two days at the bad portion of the Ijebu
Ode-Benin road. President Shagari repaired this road shortly after his
ascension to power, showing that group punishment and not state poverty was
responsible for the abandonment of this important road through which
easterners reach out to the world.
These examples speak for themselves. I support southern solidarity and
cooperation between the Igbos and the Yorubas, as this is the only way we
can achieve a balanced Nigerian Federation. But before the Igbos give their
support to anybody, it has to be someone that does not bear us grudges.
General Obasanjo's actions in the recent past did not portray him as a
lover and respecter of Igbos. Some say he became born again during his
incarceration by Abacha based on the same Decree he promulgated as Head of
State, to punish his opponents. But did our people not say that
Christianity cannot extirpate some basic cultural traits and habits? If we
must support another Yoruba Presidential candidate, and we may have to do
that in order to prove that a southerner can also be president, then it has
to be a man cast in Abiola's image, a man who is likely to deal fairly with
us, not one who sees us as a conquered race. Those Igbo politicians who are
accepting dirty money to sell their birthright should be ashamed of
themselves. With time, they will answer questions before God.
Okereke wrote in from Aba, Abia State.

<Picture>
{News | Editorials | Business/Economy
| Politics | Features | Arts & Culture | Sports |
About the Staff

.- soc.history.african.biafra is a moderated newsgroup. -.
| The opinions of the moderators may differ from the poster's |
`- Contact moderators via biafr...@mcfeeley.cc.utexas.edu. -'