The Malcolm Family of Jamaica - links in Argyllshire, Scotland.

craig

Aug 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/26/96

I am trying to research information on the Malcolm family of Jamaica.
Details I have on the family are as follows:-

John Malcolm married Sarah Wingfield and is described as a planter of
Jamaica. Their estate is said to have been in the vicinity of Pell
River, Hanover.

Their children were:
Edgar, George [b abt 1811-13, d after Apr 1893], Sarah [b abt 1813-14,
married William Gordon, d 3 Apr 1893 "Bachelor's Hall", Lucea, Hanover],
John, Marion [d before Apr 1893], Neill [b 19 ?Jul 1826-28, married
Emilie Monson Wilton, d 7 Jan 1898 in New Zealand].

The family is said to be related to the Malcolms of "Poltalloch",
Kilmartin, Argyllshire, Scotland and there is some suggestion that the
youngest child, Neill may have been born and attended school there. He
later married and emigrated to New Zealand.

Sarah Malcolm [married Wm Gordon] had 2 children - Edgar Malcolm Gordon
and Katherine Malcolm Gordon.

In a book entitled "Handbook of Jamaica for 1891-92" I found a reference
to an estate of 4-5,000 acres names "Knockalva" in the parish of
Hanover. I believe the Malcolms may have had a connection to this
estate.

1. Where can I obtain a detailed map of Jamaica - especially Hanover?

2. How would I search the land titles to properties such as "Bachelor's
Hall" and "Knockalva" to find details of change of ownership?

3. Does anyone recognise this family in in Jamaica or Argyllshire?

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Thanks - Malcolm McDonald [care of Jenny Hardiman, email:
cr...@netlink.co.nz]

Bob

Aug 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/26/96

Dear Malcolm

visit to URL

http://www.users.dircon.co.uk/~searcher/

and follow a pointer to West Indies Records. You might also like to
follow another pointer to the Public Records Office where you will see
more information about the West Indies and Emigrants and Immigrants.

Regards
Bob

Gordon Johnson

Aug 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/31/96

craig <cr...@netlink.co.nz> wrote:

>I am trying to research information on the Malcolm family of Jamaica.
>Details I have on the family are as follows:-

>John Malcolm married Sarah Wingfield and is described as a planter of
>Jamaica. Their estate is said to have been in the vicinity of Pell
>River, Hanover.

<snip>

>The family is said to be related to the Malcolms of "Poltalloch",
>Kilmartin, Argyllshire, Scotland and there is some suggestion that the
>youngest child, Neill may have been born and attended school there. He
>later married and emigrated to New Zealand.

**The Malcolms of Poltalloch were the clan chiefs of the
MacCallums, so you should be able to find something on the family
that way.
Good luck.
Gordon Johnson
Scottish genealogical consultant
Kin...@wintermute.co.uk
KinHelp - http://www.scotweb.com/genes/genes.htm

Busha

Oct 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/29/96

Malcolm

Maps are available from the

ORDANCE SURVEY
ROMSEY RD
SOUTHAMPTON
UK S09 4DH

OR

Director of Surveys
Survey dept
23 1/2 Charles St
PO Box 493
Kingston, Ja.

superb maps; full colour , scale 1:50,000
you want sheets 1,2, 5 & 6 of series 1, edition JSD/OSD 1991
There are 20 maps in the complete set. Cost; seems I paid about
J$1,000 for two. I think from the UK the price is about the same but
the service is quicker than from Ja. Then add on all those damn
taxes, postage, etc. Might be cheaper for you to take a trip :}

Interestingly Knockalva is also a property in St
Elizabeth/Westmoreland (cannot remember which one - but on the same
road).

As to the name Malcolm, I know a number in Westmoreland - but then
again there are two hundred odd listings in the phonebook. More
details and maybe someone can help further.

craig <cr...@netlink.co.nz> wrote:

>I am trying to research information on the Malcolm family of Jamaica.
>Details I have on the family are as follows:-

>John Malcolm married Sarah Wingfield and is described as a planter of
>Jamaica. Their estate is said to have been in the vicinity of Pell
>River, Hanover.

>Their children were:

>Edgar, George [b abt 1811-13, d after Apr 1893], Sarah [b abt 1813-14,
>married William Gordon, d 3 Apr 1893 "Bachelor's Hall", Lucea, Hanover],
>John, Marion [d before Apr 1893], Neill [b 19 ?Jul 1826-28, married
>Emilie Monson Wilton, d 7 Jan 1898 in New Zealand].

>The family is said to be related to the Malcolms of "Poltalloch",

>Kilmartin, Argyllshire, Scotland and there is some suggestion that the
>youngest child, Neill may have been born and attended school there. He
>later married and emigrated to New Zealand.

>Sarah Malcolm [married Wm Gordon] had 2 children - Edgar Malcolm Gordon
>and Katherine Malcolm Gordon.

>In a book entitled "Handbook of Jamaica for 1891-92" I found a reference
>to an estate of 4-5,000 acres names "Knockalva" in the parish of
>Hanover. I believe the Malcolms may have had a connection to this
>estate.

>1. Where can I obtain a detailed map of Jamaica - especially Hanover?

>2. How would I search the land titles to properties such as "Bachelor's
>Hall" and "Knockalva" to find details of change of ownership?

>3. Does anyone recognise this family in in Jamaica or Argyllshire?

>Any assistance would be much appreciated.

>Thanks - Malcolm McDonald [care of Jenny Hardiman, email:
>cr...@netlink.co.nz]

Busha

Harry Duckworth

Oct 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/30/96

As usual, my news server has eliminated the original post, but I see
that Malcolm McDonald, of New Zealand, is looking for information on the
family Malcolm of Poltalloch, because of a supposed connection with a
Malcolm family in Jamaica. There may well be a connection - the name
Neil is common in that family. There's an account of the family in
Burke's Landed Gentry, which will probably be useful. The family name
was originally McCallum; Malcolm must be an "Englished" version of it.
Poltalloch, their seat, is located north of the Crinan Canal, and looks
down upon it, which is of interest because Neil Malcolm of Poltalloch
was involved in the Company that built the Crinan Canal. Poltalloch
House itself is derelict (my wife and I visited the site about 8 years
ago).

Harry Duckworth
hdc...@cc.umanitoba.ca

Camilla von Massenbach

Oct 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/31/96

I have "This family traces its descent from Donald McGillespie
Vich O'Challum (+ ante/Oct 1609), 1st of Poltalloch,
parish of Kilmartin, Argyllshire, Scotland, for which he
received a charter 18 May 1562. "

Best wishes

Camilla
Camilla von Massenbach Tel: +44 (181) 994 8417
Fax: +44 (181) 994 6472
Email: cam...@algroup.co.uk

dwri...@gmail.com

Jul 10, 2016, 9:46:54 PM7/10/16
I am Jamaican and descended from a Malcolm from Scotland. This Malcolm would have been my maternal grandmother's maternal grandfather. I believe he may have resided in Hanover. I am doing some research on this, as well. Please contact me at dwri...@gmail.com. Thank you. AW

tunn...@gmail.com

Jul 20, 2017, 8:41:21 PM7/20/17
Hello I think this may be my
grand mother maternal father any help is appreciated

dek...@googlemail.com

Apr 17, 2018, 7:27:51 PM4/17/18
Hi my name is Derek Dell from the uk I have connections to John Malcolm who was a slave owner in westmoreland Jamaica
My great grandmother x6 was one of my family members he owned

med...@romac.org.au

Jul 26, 2018, 6:16:34 AM7/26/18
On Wednesday, 18 April 2018 11:27:51 UTC+12, dek...@googlemail.com wrote:
> Hi my name is Derek Dell from the uk I have connections to John Malcolm who was a slave owner in westmoreland Jamaica
> My great grandmother x6 was one of my family members he owned

Hi,
I was born in Scotland and am descended from the Malcolms of Poltalloch.
My DNA shows that I have West African DNA, almost certainly Ghanain, which is where all the
Malcoms' 280 slaves originated.
I believe that one of the Malcolm sons, John returned to Argyll with 2 of his children by an unnamed slave,
George and Georgina , the children were, baptised in Hanover Jamaica in 1813
in his name, and described as "Quadroons" ie a 1/4 'white'.
John was a barrister and died in Argyll in 1830 aged 43 years.
I am not at all certain of this and would very much appreciate your information.

Cheers,

Eric

--
If you receive this message in error, please advise us with a reply and
delete this document from your system.

shainew...@gmail.com

May 11, 2020, 11:40:30 AM5/11/20
Hello my name is shaine Wallace I'm from the community of knockalva in Jamaica Hanover I would like to now more about my community of knockalva it a beautiful place with lots of history places email me back if u get this message...shainewallace1@gmail.com

Shey Smith

Sep 2, 2020, 2:57:28 PM9/2/20
If you're on FamilySearch or Geni, please see the tree I've been trying to build on the Malcolm family in Jamaica from Pollatach

Kate Thomas

May 19, 2023, 10:03:00 PM5/19/23
On Wednesday, April 18, 2018 at 11:27:51 AM UTC+12, dek...@googlemail.com wrote:
> Hi my name is Derek Dell from the uk I have connections to John Malcolm who was a slave owner in westmoreland Jamaica
> My great grandmother x6 was one of my family members he owned

I am a descendent of Neill Malcolm b. 1825 in Hanover Jamaica, who came to NZ in 1850. He was the son of John Malcolm and Mary Johnson who was his "housekeeper" according to his will. Neill's birth record states he was "quadroon" and I have West African DNA.

Keen to connect so I can find out more, especially about Mary Johnson, which might be wishful thinking.

Thanks,
Kate