Stather, Daniell, Maynard, Clarke, Crowe, Valentine etc.

kimberley valentine

Jan 8, 2001, 12:01:49 PM1/8/01
Hello Everyone,

It's a new year and I hope it will shed some new light on the following
people especially Ebenezer Stather. I know this is a bit lengthy but I would
be thrilled to hear from anyone who might have a connection or information
on a new direction I could search. Does anyone know if there are records for
the Legislative Council of Nevis for the late 1700's which might have
information on Ebenezer Stather??????

That you for any information.

Sincerely,
Kim Valentine

William STATHER

A protestant carried to York Castle by order of Queen Mary where he died in
1558. Two generations are unrecorded. Two Great-grandsons of the above
William Stather are:

1. William STATHER of Ellerker m. Catharine AMORY; (d. 1760), aged 96.
Buried at Brantringham. They had six children.
2. James Stather m. Elizabeth Sissons of S. Cambridge. They had one son
James who married three times but died without male issue.

Children of the above William STATHET of Ellerker and Catharine AMORY are:

1. William of Ellerker (b. 1693; d. 1777), m. Elizabeth CARLISLE of
Elloughton (b. 1703; d. 1785). They had four children.
2. James, who died young.
3. Jonathan m. Elizabeth Sissons (niece of the above). They had three
children: William, Elizabeth and Anne.
4. Robert m. Rebecca Bazer. They had two daughters who died young.
5. Catherine m. John Briggs. They had three children: Catherine, Anne and
John.
6. Richard m. the widow Lythe. They had no children.

Children of the above William STATHER of Ellerker and Elizabeth CARLISLE of
Elloughton are:

1. Elizabeth m. John Moses. They had four children: William, John, Elizabeth
and Anne.
2. Catharine m. Edward Blythe. They had five children: Robert, Edward,
Elizabeth, Joseph and William.
3. William of Ellerker (b. 23 June 1735; d. 9 Jan 1808), m. Maria HARRISON.
They had five children.
4. Anne m. John Wood. They had six children: John, Anne , Thomas, Elizabeth
, Mary and Sarah.

Children of the above William STATHER of Ellerker and Maria HARRISON are:

1. William Harrison m. (1) Sarah Clayton. (2) the Widow King. There were two
children by the first marriage and one by the second; all of whom died
young. Line ends in this branch.
2. Ebenezer (d. 3 Dec. 1820), m. Anne DANIELL, daughter of the governor of
Nevis, West Indies, and of Frances MAYNARD, his wife. They had seven
children.
3. John, died unmarried
4. Richard Carlisle (b. 1772), died unmarried.
5. Shillito (b. 1775), m. Anne Butlin. They had three children: Mary Anne,
(m. Henry Johnson), Jane who died young and a son who also died young.

Children of the above Ebenezer STATHER and Anne DANIELL are:
(Ebenezer was a surgeon in the Royal Navy and of the suite of the Duke of
Clarence afterwards King William IV. He became a member of the Legislative
Council of Nevis with the title of “Honourable”.)

1. George (b. 1803), died as an infant.
2. Frances Elizabeth (b. 3 Apr. 1805; d. 24 Nov. 1899), m. Capt. John CROWE,
of the 93rd Highlanders. They had nine children.
3. Anne (b. 1806; d. Nov. 1881) m. her cousin Walter MAYNARD. They had six
children.
4. William Carlisle (b. 4 Jan. 1808; d. 27 Sep. 1899), Colonel in
H.E.I.C.S., m. (1) Charlotte Anne Seymour ORMSBY, (2) Mary Caruthers Wathen.
There were four daughters from the first marriage. The male Stather line
ends here.
5. Maria Moreton (b. 23 Sep. 1810; d. 21 Oct. 1893), m. Rev. William
Braithwaite CLARKE. They had three children.
6. Emily (b. 1812), died young.
7. Louisa (b. 22 Oct. 1814; d. 1 Nov. 1885), m. Rev. George Meaker
VALENTINE.

Children of the above Louisa STATHER and Rev. George Meaker VALENTINE are:

1. George (b. 12 Mar. 1842), died unmarried.
2. William Stather (b. 11 Dec. 1843; d. 9 Aug 1893) aged 49, m. Emily Anne
Ladd. They had five children.

Children of the above Frances Elizabeth STATHER and Capt. John CROWE are:

1. Thomas Carlisle (b. 1830; d. 18 Jan. 1917) m. his cousin Ellen Maynard
Clarke. Eldest son: Col. Mordaunt Abingdon Carlisle Crowe (b. 7 Nov. 1867 in
Montreal, Quebec, Canada).
2. Ellen (b. 1836 in Ireland).
3. James Daniell (b. 1842 in Leith, Edinburgh, Scotland).
4. William Mordaunt (b. 1845 in Norwich, Norfolk, UK).
5. John Wainwright (b. 1850 in Ireland).
6. Robert (d. abt. 1905).
7. George Wyndham
8. Anne
9. Frances Matilda

Children of the above Anne STATHER and Walter MAYNARD

1. Fanny Maria (d. Mar. 1907).
2. Ellen (d. abt. 1850) aged 14 years.
3. Walter Henry (d. Jan. 1868) unmarried.
4. Charlotte Seymour
5. William Carlisle Stather (d. Dec 1918), m. Annie Boyle of Barbados in
1865. They had eight children.
6. George Valentine m. his cousin Anne Mills, daughter of Thomas Mills,
Woodstock, Ontario, Canada, in June 1874.

Children of the above Maria Moreton STATHER and Rev. William Braithwaite
CLARKE are:

1. Mordaunt William Shipley (b. 14 Oct. 1833; d. 18 Oct. 1918), m. Georgina
Alice Mann, daughter of Major General Gother Ken Mann, in 1869. Eldest son:
William Braithwaite (b. 11 Apr. 1873).
2. Ellen Maynard (b. 21 Oct. 1835; d. 9 Feb. 1920), m. her cousin Thomas
Carlisle Crowe. Eldest son: Col. Mordaunt Abingdon Carlisle Crowe (b. 7 Nov.
1867).
3. Maria Moreton m. George Higgin Barney (d. 1 May 1890), on 16 Nov. 1858.

PRush...@aol.com

Jan 8, 2001, 3:12:16 PM1/8/01
Hi Kimberly,
Try contacting Michelle Terrell. She has a lot of info about Nevis.
If she doesn't have what you need, she may be able to help.
Her Email: mte...@bu.edu
Phyllis

Hheathe...@cs.com

Jan 9, 2001, 5:43:05 AM1/9/01
A couple of years ago I copied at the PRO, Nevis Council Minutes and other
items re Nevis first dated from 18th and 19th June 1700 under CO155/6 to 4th
Nov 1723; then under CO186/1 29th October 1724 to 25th August 1730. I do not
know what later items are available. One of my projects is to copy all the
names mentioned in these papers but as all are handwritten, they take a while
to read.
Your names are later but will try to do this listing now that I have taken
the file from its hiding place!
Regards and thanks again to everyone for their help with addresses etc. after
I lost my system.
Heather UK