Hazell family

GH

Feb 24, 2007, 6:09:39 PM2/24/07
Does anyone know where John Hercules Hazell of Mustique, the founder
of J.H. Hazell and Sons came from? I am a Hazell living in the UK who
had family living in Wiltshire, Monmouth and possible Gloucestershire
in the early 1800s but I have not been able to go any further back
than 1815. I gather than a Heazle went to the West Indies in about
1807 but rumour had it that he died of Yellow fever but how long after
1807 I do not know

mreil...@aol.com

Feb 26, 2007, 10:02:54 AM2/26/07
to cari...@rootsweb.com
John Hercules Hazell was from the nearby island of Bequia. The Hazells go back a long way on Bequia and I'm not sure their origin is known. From what I remember (I am not a Hazell but some of my ancestors were from Bequia and my family was associated with them for several generations, hence my interest), there is a Hazell line from Barbados which is traceable to somewhere in England, and a Hassell line from Saba (Netherlands Antilles) which often gets spelled Hazell and has untraceable origins.

Anyway Cheryl Hazell, who I think is no longer on the List, is the authority on Hazell history and you can reach her through her website, http://svgancestry.com/

the message

mervinw...@gmail.com

Mar 9, 2014, 2:52:07 PM3/9/14
My grandmother was a Hassell and she was born on the island of Saba. It seems like the origin of the Hassells along with their cousins the Hazells and Hillegers started when the Dutch colonized Saba along with other Dutch islands. I plan on doing more research to see what else I can find.

Marcos Reilly

Mar 9, 2014, 3:29:14 PM3/9/14
to cari...@rootsweb.com
I believe JH Hazell was from Bequia. I am not sure where the family's origins lie but talk to Cheryl Hazell

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~vctwgw/

. She seems to have done the most research on the Hazell family of SVG.

My ancestors from Bequia were associated with the Hazells for several generations. My gggrandfather Benjamin Biddy seems to have been a protege of sorts and occasional trading partner of JH Hazell, and JH's son Charles Ormond Hazell was my great granfather's lawyer.

There are a lot of connections between Saba and the Grenadines (including in my own family), and I have wondered if the Hassells of Saba and the Hazells of the St. Vincent and the Grenadines are related, but I have been told it's not likely and the Hassells are of Dutch origin while the Hazells are English.
***************************
The Caribbean List now has a Resources Page at Historic Antigua and Barbuda
http://www.rootsweb.com/~atgwgw/

Ernest Wiltshire

Mar 9, 2014, 4:10:34 PM3/9/14
to cari...@rootsweb.com
According to the sketchy information I have (no sources, sorry) John
Hercules was the grandson of a Hercules Hazel, born 1749 (where?) died
1833 in St. Vincent.
Hercules Sr's wife was apparently an Elizabeth Simmons, and their son
Hercules Jr. (born 1785 St. Vincent died-1848 St. Vincent) married an
Elizabeth Gregg and were the parents of John Hercules, born 20 Mar 1817
(Windsor Estate?) St. Vincent, died 22 Nov 1886 Mustique.
I have no clue as to where they might have originated. Perhaps Cheryl
Hazell may know more.
Ernest Wiltshire

On 2014-03-09 2:52 PM, mervinw...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Saturday, February 24, 2007 6:09:39 PM UTC-5, GH wrote:
>> Does anyone know where John Hercules Hazell of Mustique, the founder of J.H. Hazell and Sons came from? I am a Hazell living in the UK who had family living in Wiltshire, Monmouth and possible Gloucestershire in the early 1800s but I have not been able to go any further back than 1815. I gather than a Heazle went to the West Indies in about1807 but rumour had it that he died of Yellow fever but how long after 1807 I do not know
> Cell: 613-277-6872

les...@btinternet.com

Mar 31, 2016, 5:01:45 PM3/31/16
Hi there, I know John Hercules Hazell.

mreilly169 via

Mar 31, 2016, 7:51:16 PM3/31/16
to lesleyg, cari...@rootsweb.com

The one who lived in the early 19th century?

Sent via the Samsung GALAXY S® 5, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

Sep 11, 2019, 7:59:01 PM9/11/19
Im in the hazell family my last name is hazell

brfro...@gmail.com

Jan 25, 2020, 9:13:16 PM1/25/20
A lot of your information is good. I can give you the roots of Hassell (Hazzell, Hazel) family. Can't write it now. But a brief note, Hercules was first mate on the Dutch ship Van Dyke, Elizabeth was a passenger on that ship from England and picked up from Plymouth Sound. They were on their way to St. Vincent and were being chased by pirates. Hercules took the passengers from the ship and headed toward a tiny island in the distance. Knowing only by the formation of a cloud in the sky. Anyway, long story short they were marooned for 3 years before hercules used his ship building experience to fashion boat that could go get a ship to rescue the marooned passengers. He married Elizabeth Simmons and they settled in Bequia.

Richard Hazell

Mar 5, 2020, 1:54:15 PM3/5/20
On Saturday, January 25, 2020 at 9:13:16 PM UTC-5, brfro...@gmail.com wrote:
> A lot of your information is good. I can give you the roots of Hassell (Hazzell, Hazel) family. Can't write it now. But a brief note, Hercules was first mate on the Dutch ship Van Dyke, Elizabeth was a passenger on that ship from England and picked up from Plymouth Sound. They were on their way to St. Vincent and were being chased by pirates. Hercules took the passengers from the ship and headed toward a tiny island in the distance. Knowing only by the formation of a cloud in the sky. Anyway, long story short they were marooned for 3 years before hercules used his ship building experience to fashion boat that could go get a ship to rescue the marooned passengers. He married Elizabeth Simmons and they settled in Bequia.

This is very interesting information that I did not have. i am part of that Hazell line and would love to get more about this history.

nichoc...@gmail.com

Jun 4, 2020, 5:52:18 AM6/4/20
This is a splendid story and would love to have it in full with your references.

I have Hercules being born in St Thomas Danish Virgin Islands but he could equally have been on the Dutch ship as you suggest.

Hercules Hazell, 1749 - 1833. Either way he was John Hercules Hazell's great grandfather.

Much looking forward to hearing from you,

maa...@quicknet.nl

Aug 1, 2020, 2:16:59 PM8/1/20
My life companion Lillian Agatha Simmons her grandfather is also called John Hercules Hassell and was probably born on Saba? and lived at Mary's point and later at Hell's Gate. Saba where he also died between 1970/1980 just like his wife Effie Hassell (Baylee?) Her correct name may even have been Eveline Beal or Baylie and she came from St Bartholemeus. Their children were: Audreij /Audrie? Grijm (Hassell), Melanie Cecilia Johnson (Hassell), Ella Hobrink (Hassell), John James Hassell, Lillian Estelle Simmons (Hassell) (Married to John Josie Simmons), James John Hassell and John Donald Hassell.

Debbie Beaulieu

Jan 22, 2022, 5:20:18 PM1/22/22
Did you get any info on this my 2nd great grandfather Peter Hazel came from the Dutch West Indies but can't find any info on them. He came to US in 1822. I would love to find out more about Hercules and John Hercules to see if they match.