HELP PLEASE - JAMAICA

Janice Doughty

Dec 23, 2005, 1:25:09 AM12/23/05
Good afternoon Listers,

My previous email to this List regarding the STEVENSON/STEPHENSON, HARVIE and FARQUHAR families I now realise, was much too long, and difficult to follow and confusing, which I must apologise for.

I have just now found a piece in the Biographical Index for 1821, which covers the life and times of the late Sir Walter FARQUHAR (died 1819). I now have some more information that may give some clues to SKS, to put me on the right track.

To set the scene: -

One Thomas HARVIE married circa 1762, Ann STEVENSON/STEPHENSON in Jamaica, the fourth daughter of Alexander STEVENSON/STEPHENSON of Barbados.

In 1762 a daughter was born to this couple, Elizabeth (she married Simon HALLIDAY on 18th Sept 1788 at St Lukes, in Chelsea, London).

However, some time between 1762 and 1771, Thomas HARVIE died, as his Widow, Ann HARVIE (nee STEVENSON/STEPHENSON), married at Saint Mary's in St Marylebone Road, Saint Marylebone in London, Sir Walter FARQUHAR, Physician to the Prince Regent, Sir William Pitt and the wife of Lord Wellington.

In the Biographical Index it states:-

"...Sir Walter FARQUHAR, married Mrs. Harvie, whose husband had been a physician of some eminence in Jamaica..."

So now I know that Dr. Thomas HARVIE, had been practicing medicine in Jamaica, This would explain why the first son, Thomas Harvie FARQUHAR, born to Sir Walter and Lady Ann FARQUHAR, was named after Ann's first husband, Thomas HARVIE. Sir Walter most likely held Thomas HARVIE in high esteem and they could have been close friends.

I believe that Thomas HARVIE, was originally from Scotland and may have been the son of Thomas Harvie and Mary Murdock of Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland. Is there anyway I can obtain the history of this time in the Caribbean, to see what I can find out about the life and death of Thomas CHRISTIE? Many thanks.

Regards,
Janice
Belrose - Sydney
Australia

Frances Fogarty

Dec 29, 2005, 8:01:08 AM12/29/05
Dear Janice and Listers

In the course of my research into my Stevenson ancestors who lived in Argyll
I applied for matriclulation details from students at Glasgow University and
found the following entry for 1745.

1129 ALEXr STEVENSON filius Thomae Stevenson Praepositu Martialis Insulae de
Barbadoes.

I think this means that Thomas was some kind of army commander. Possibly the
father of Janice's Alexander.

My Argyll Stevensons are proving elusive but they may have Barbadoes
connections. My ggg grandmother's uncle was Captain James Stevenson of the
Royal Navy. I found his captain's log at the National Archives in Kew when
he was captain of the HMS Charon cruising in the Caribbean. I found it
difficult to interpert but I think it shows that on 9th February 1796 he
helped the ship La Pique capture the National Brig Laudemone and sent 1
officer and 6 men to take 40 prisoners to assist taking the privateer to
Barbadoes.

I wondered if he had asked to be based in the West Indies because he had
connections there. Also the National Archives show that his uncle Hugh
Stevenson, a ship's surgeon, was hired in Antigua in 1757 to serve on the
ship Anson. In 1777 he was probably on the Sloop Hound transporting French
and American POWs which puts him yet again somewhere in the area.

Captain James wrote his will in Achlian near Dalmally, Argyll, home of his
uncle Alexander Campbell. He left about £15000 which was a fortune in those
days. I do not know where the money came from and have speculated that his
father was involved in trading.

There was another James Stevenson in the area earlier, a clergyman of
Muckairn, Argyll who had sons who owned barques. These were largish sailing
vessels. Again a seafaring connection.

Captain James mentioned sisters Jane Janet and Ann in his will. He had lost
contact with them and asked his trustees to advertise in papers in
Edingburgh, Dublin, London and also New York for 5 years after his death. I
wondered if New York papers were read in the West Indies at that time (1818)
and maybe his sisters were out there. All guesswork, I'm afraid.

If anyone knows any more about Barbados Stevensons, I would be most
interested to hear from you.

Kind regards
Frances Fogarty

""Janice Doughty"" <adoug...@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message

Janice

Dec 29, 2005, 8:40:49 PM12/29/05
Good morning Frances and Listers,

Thank you so much for this wonderful information, and I believe that
there could be a connection with Thomas Stevenson as you suggest.

Since last posting to the List I have found out some more information
regarding the Stevenson. In the Gentleman's Magazine of 1836 announcing
the death of Thomas Harvie Farquhar, 2nd Baronet, on 12th January 1836,
the son of Sir Walter and Lady Ann Farquhar (Harvie nee Stevenson) it
state, by Ann, forth daughter of Alexander Stephenson of Barbadoes.

However, for the obituary of Sir Thomas Harvie Farquhar's younger
brother, Sir Robert Townsend Farquhar on 16th March, 1830, it has
(regarding his mother) by Ann, the fourth daughter of Thomas Stephenson
Esq.

I believe Lady Ann Farquhar (Harvie nee Stevenson) was the daughter of
Thomas Stevenson, and that Thomas was the son of Alexander.

Searching the IGI, I find that Thomas and Elizabeth Stevenson, had two
children I can find, Thomas Stevenson, bapt. 10th March 1727 at saint
Michael's Barbados and Ann Stevenson, bapt. 2nd Sept 1738 also at Saint
Michael's. We know Ann was the fourth daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth
Stevenson, so there are more siblings I have not found. Ann Stevenson
would have been 24 years of age, when she married Dr. Thomas Harvie in
Jamaica in 1762. Their daughter born circa 1762, was named Elizabeth,
after her maternal grandmother. Widow Ann Harvie (nee Stevenson) would
have been 33 years of age, when she married Sir Walter Farquhar, on 20th
June 1771 at Saint Mary-St Marylebone in London.

With regards to Thomas Stevenson, Lady Ann Farquhar's father, I have
found by searching the Net, he was an observer in 1759 of the arrival of
Haley's Comment in 1759, and wrote many articles on his observations.
Thomas Stevenson, was a platation owner and former Surveyor General of
the Caribbean Island of Barbados. He initially observed the comet on 21
March, making him apparently the first person to recover it after
perihelion. Some of his subsequest observations were made in the last
week of April, when the commet temporaily dipped below the southern
horizon of European observers. Thomas Stevenson died in 1764.

Thomas Stevenson appears to have had a brother William, however, I do
not know very much about him.

In the the Biographical Index for 1821, regarding the life of Sir Walter
Farquhar, the second husband of Lady Ann Farquhar (Harvie nee
Stevenson), it states that Sir Walter Farquhar had married Mrs. Harvie,
whose husband had been a Physician of some eminence in Jamaica and by
this lady he had serveral sons and daughters.

If only I could find out more about this eminent doctor, Thomas Harvie,
and his family, was he born in the Caribbean or Scotland? Most of all, I
very much would like to find out the year of his death. It appears he
did have two brothers who were also in the Caribbean, Henry and
Alexander.

Once again, thank you so much for the information you have given me
Frances, it is very much appreciated.

Regards,
Janice
In a very warm and humid Old Sydney Town
Australia

--
Sent via Genealogy Newsgroups
http://www.genealogynewsgroups.com