Genealogical article on Grenada

Dorothy Kew

Jan 29, 2002, 7:48:28 AM1/29/02
The December 2001 issue of Family Tree magazine (the British one) has an
updated article by John Titford on Grenada in his continuing series
"Settlers of the Old Empire: the West Indies". It discusses the history of
the island and the varioius record sources held in Grenada as well as
elsewhere, plus secondary sources.

I have a copy of this article if any of you are interested and can't find
the magazine in your local libraries.

Dorothy

LAnde...@aol.com

Jan 29, 2002, 10:54:39 AM1/29/02
Sure would appreciate any articles on Grenada if you care to put it on
site...

Thanks, Lenora

Philip Bulkeley

Jan 29, 2002, 1:58:06 PM1/29/02

Sorry to be nosy, but what is the relevance of Lande in your e-mail address.

I have good reason to ask, as the name features in a very early part of my
family heritage

Regards

Phil Bulkeley

> ROOTSWEB MAILING LIST HELP PAGES
> What is a Mailing List?
> http://helpdesk.rootsweb.com/help/mail1.html

Doug Newsam

Jan 30, 2002, 8:40:02 AM1/30/02
Hi Dorothy
Would you share the address and how to subscribe to that magazine?
It may be useful in further research.
Thanks
Doug Newsam

>For information on individual islands, research aids, island bulletin
boards or history please visit the CaribbeanGenWeb project at
>http://www.rootsweb.com/~caribgw/

Dorothy Kew

Jan 30, 2002, 10:03:31 AM1/30/02
Hi Lenora:

Sorry, I can't do that, as it would be a violation of copyright. I'm
prepared to send copies of the article to individuals, if they will send me
their addresses. It's only 3 pages so shouldn't break my bank!

Dorothy

Jan 30, 2002, 10:17:04 AM1/30/02
Hi Doug:

There is a web site. Here is the address for the subscription section:

http://www.family-tree.co.uk/subFTM.htm

If you have British ancestry this is, in my opinion, the very best
genealogical magazine around. It's a pity that more American libraries
don't stock it.

Dorothy

Jan 30, 2002, 11:57:34 AM1/30/02
Hi Listers,

I'm sure if you check with your local Library, you may find that they have
copies of this publication, that can be accessed in this manner. I know it
is on my agenda, as the Auckland City Library here in NZ does have this in
their collection.

Cheers
Merril

Doug Newsam

Jan 30, 2002, 1:27:30 PM1/30/02
Hi Dorothy
Thanks for the address, I am going to check it out.

Doug

Margaret Douglin

Jan 31, 2002, 6:05:44 AM1/31/02
Hello Dorothy,

Thank you greatly for offering to send the article. My mailing address is:

1800 Bloor Street West
Toronto, Ontario, M6P 3K5
CANADA

Margaret Douglin

> Sorry, I can't do that, as it would be a violation of copyright. I'm
> prepared to send copies of the article to individuals, if they will send
me
> their addresses. It's only 3 pages so shouldn't break my bank!
>

> Dorothy

David Hall

Jan 31, 2002, 10:15:17 PM1/31/02
Dear Dorothy

I would also love a copy of the article. My GG Grandfather Walter Bertrand
was born Grenville Grenada, and that is just about all we know at the
moment, my address is as follows:-

Many thanks for your offer. It is much appreciated.

David Hall
32 Cowlishaw Street
Christchurch 6
New Zealand

Feb 1, 2002, 1:14:30 AM2/1/02
Dear David. Would you please e-mail me Dorothy's e-mail address as I
deleted it accidently. I am searching for a Margaret McGown who bought a
slave called John in Grenada in 1813. Regards Anne

Feb 1, 2002, 2:00:23 AM2/1/02
Anne,
How did you find the information about the slave purchase? I have simply
found that impossible.
Also, to the group, has anyone got as far back as 1750, with the genealogy
of any black ancestors?

Cheers all.
Karen.

Edward Crawford

Feb 1, 2002, 3:55:59 AM2/1/02
Hi Karen,
To get back to 1750 would be terribly difficult and generally impossible. If
they were free, and many of these would be of multi-racial descent, there
might well be evidence in baptismal and death registers. Going through the
Tharp papers which relate to estates in Jamaica, the lists of slaves in the
18th century, when inventories are taken nearly always give merely the first
name, even where they are named. I do not know if this is typical of estate
papers but I suspect it is. The official slave registers, taken by the
British government, start in 1817 and they exist in the PRO in London as
well as on the islands. They are triennial and run to 1832 but vary in the
details that they give in the different islands. John Weiss tells me that
the Trinidad ones for instance give the name of the father of a child, the
Jamaican ones certainly do not. He believes it was Catholic influence which
recognised slave marriages in Trinidad. In Jamaica they do however give the
origins of the slave whether African or Creole (born on the island). A
surprising number are African in 1817, the abolition of the Slave Trade
being only ten years before. About Grenada I do not know but you will find
the index of the registers on the PRO website. They are filed under T, (for
Treasury) not CO (for Colonial Office) as by 1817 the Treasury thought that
they might have to emancipate them and pay compensation and it wanted a
strict record not trusting the planters one bit. There is also a lot of
correspondence in 1832-35 which I have not looked at the time of
emancipation. I do not know if slaves are ever named here.
Edward Crawford

Index website (CarSurDex) http://www.candoo.com/surnames/index.html

>This message has been scanned by the Datanet VirusScreen Service,
>powered by BT Ignite and Messagelabs. For more information please
>visit http://www.VirusScreen.co.uk.

This message has been scanned by the Datanet VirusScreen Service,
powered by BT Ignite and Messagelabs. For more information please
visit http://www.VirusScreen.co.uk.

jo.un...@gmail.com

Jun 3, 2020, 3:34:29 PM6/3/20
Yes please I am researching my Grandfathers - Spencer Lewis Gordon of Grenada dob 1888 also George John Crompton

Many thanks
jo wilson UK

jo.un...@gmail.com

Jun 3, 2020, 3:39:24 PM6/3/20
Hi I would be interested in knowing if your family owned plots of land in PAradise. I have inherited a plot in the are from my Grandfather Dpencer Lewis Gordon who I no owned land there from at least 1924. I wondered how he acquired the land. I did note the name Bulkely on a land register for PAradise Grenada held in the Museum in Grenada

Many thanks
Jo wilson U.K.