[CARIBBEAN] Seeking McNish, Mc Nash, Mac Nish, McNeish etc

John Weiss

Apr 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/3/00
I am seeking McNISH contacts.

TRINIDAD
The present Trinidadian McNISH family all appear to stem from
POLYDORE and NANCY McNISH who arrived in Trinidad on 20 August
1816, after Polydore had served in the Corps of Colonial Marines
for a year and a half. They came from the US, having taken their
freedom along with around four thousand others during the War of
1812. Their descendants, numbering nearly three hundred
historically on the latest count, have spread around the world,
and about one hundred assemble every year for the annual
gathering, in former years at McNish Junction in Sixth Company
(near Princes Town in southern Trinidad), and now in Diamond Vale
(near Port of Spain in the north). In the notes below, the
recorded place of birth is shown together with the approximate
year of birth.

TRINIDADIAN McNISH PROGENITORS
POLYDORE: Africa, 1795. Possibly known as Pauldo/Poldo, said in
the family to indicate knowledge of folk magic: perhaps his
African name, and just possibly receiving or even claiming the
Classical name Polydore as being close to his African name.
NANCY: "country born" in the US, 1790, with Native American
lineage according to family stories, with straight black hair.
They brought away with them two children, EVE and BETSY,
followed, according to 1823 listings and deduced from later
records, by two further children.
The genealogical line is fragmented, and records of the
descendants' lines are not complete.

DEPARTURE FROM THE U.S.
They left the Gatehouse Plantation of William McNish, lying
between Crookded River and Satilla River in Camden County,
Georgia, USA, on 11 February 1815 to join the British forces on
Cumberland Island. A number of others left at the same time, all
taking the name McNish or a variant, four more settling in
Trinidad (including two more men who joined the Corps of Colonial
Marines), two joining the 2nd West India Regiment (one with
wife)and possibly finishing in Honduras (later British Honduras,
now Belize), and the remainder settling in Nova Scotia.

OTHER TRINIDADIAN McNISH SETTLERS
ALICK/Alexander, Africa,1789, also in the Colonial Marines and
settled in Trinidad, with his wife DINAH, Africa 1785 (not shown
in 1823 lists): no descendants known.
JERRY/Jeremy/Jeremiah, Africa 1794, also in the Colonial Marines
and settled in Trinidad; no descendants known for certain, but
possibly the progenitor of a detached branch of McNishes in
DeGannes Village in southern Trinidad.
SARAH: no further information and no descendants known.

ELSEWHERE: HONDURAS and NOVA SCOTIA
The others who left the farm on the same day are as follows:
Two who served in the 2nd West India Regiment as McNEESH, both
stationed in Honduras, possibly remaining there after discharge:
BUCKY, America 1777, with his wife JANE, Africa 1785.
JULY, Long Island, Bahamas, 1799.
Those who went to Nova Scotia as McNISH and McNASH, some included
in Canadian listings in later years:
BRUTUS, Africa 1775
WILLIAM, Africa 1777, wife Peggy, Africa 1785
HELEN, America 1796
JUNO, Africa 1777
SUCKEY, America 1800

CONTACT WELCOME
I should very much like to hear from anyone who thinks they might
be related to any of these McNishes, particularly those who went
to Nova Scotia. I should also like to hear from any born in
Trinidad or related to any of the Trinidad McNishes who might
read this, so that they can be included in the current family
tree I am compiling with Trinidadian members of the family.

John McNish Weiss
Whose adoptive ancestors took their freeedom from American
slavery in the War of 1812 in the company of four thousand others
in The Great Escape.

marni...@aol.com

Oct 29, 2014, 8:46:27 PM10/29/14
Just found this - do you know where William McNish was from originally?

marni...@aol.com

Oct 29, 2014, 8:47:29 PM10/29/14

Nevilla Ottley via

Oct 30, 2014, 11:36:03 AM10/30/14
to marnie8940, cari...@rootsweb.com, John and Althea McNish Weiss
Check with John and see if there is more information from what he gave 14
years ago.

Hopefully this is still his email address.

Nevilla E. Ottley

Nevilla E. Ottley, B.Mus. Ed., M.A., M.Mus.
Founder/Principal
*OTTLEY MUSIC SCHOOL, INC.*
University Town Center, Bldg. 3
6525 Belcrest Road, G-20, Hyattsville, MD 20782

con...@ottleymusic.org http://www.ottleymusic.org

Office 301-454-0991 Mobile 301-467-1021
Musician, Educator, Conductor, Author, Genealogist
*CLASSICS OF EBONY MUSIC ENTERPRISES, LLC*

On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 8:47 PM, marnie8940 via <cari...@rootsweb.com>

David Bladen via

David Bladen via

Oct 31, 2014, 1:46:22 PM10/31/14
to Nevilla Ottley, cari...@rootsweb.com
Disregard previous. Working two screens and the old brain messed up.

Robert McNish b. abt 1755 m. Mary Brodie 2 Nov 1796, they had 4 children: Alexander William McNish b. abt 1748 - John McNish b. 29 May 1799 - Brodie McNish b. 16 Ded 1803 - Brodie George McNish.

Alexander William McNish m. Mary Elizabeth Johnson 30 Dec 1802 St John, Antigua; believed to be the sister of Celia Margaret Johnson b.29 Oct 1804 who married Brodie George McNish.

On Friday, October 31, 2014 1:34 PM, David Bladen <blade...@yahoo.com> wrote:

[...]

John Weiss via

Oct 31, 2014, 2:43:59 PM10/31/14
to Nevilla Ottley, marnie8940, cari...@rootsweb.com
Further to what Nevilla wrote, I see that I posted a query at the
following site on April 17, 2000, with a little more information on
William McNish. He came from Gatehouse of Fleet, in Kircudbrightshire,
apparently the centre of the McNish family.
http://genforum.genealogy.com/ga/messages/5432.html:
John Weiss

On 30/10/2014 15:35, Nevilla Ottley wrote:
> Check with John and see if there is more information from what he gave
> 14 years ago.
>
> Hopefully this is still his email address.
>
> Nevilla E. Ottley
>
> Nevilla E. Ottley, B.Mus. Ed., M.A., M.Mus.
> Founder/Principal
> *OTTLEY MUSIC SCHOOL, INC.*
> University Town Center, Bldg. 3
> 6525 Belcrest Road, G-20, Hyattsville, MD 20782
>
> con...@ottleymusic.org <mailto:con...@ottleymusic.org>
> http://www.ottleymusic.org
> **
> Office 301-454-0991 Mobile 301-467-1021
> Musician, Educator, Conductor, Author, Genealogist
> *CLASSICS OF EBONY MUSIC ENTERPRISES, LLC*
>
> On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 8:47 PM, marnie8940 via
> the message

---

John Weiss via

Oct 31, 2014, 2:46:43 PM10/31/14
to Nevilla Ottley, marnie8940, cari...@rootsweb.com
And if you do a Google on 'McNish Gatehouse of Fleet' you find a lot
more on other McNishes, possibly related to William.
John Weiss

On 31/10/2014 18:43, John Weiss wrote:
> Further to what Nevilla wrote, I see that I posted a query at the
> following site on April 17, 2000, with a little more information on
> William McNish. He came from Gatehouse of Fleet, in Kircudbrightshire,
> apparently the centre of the McNish family.
> http://genforum.genealogy.com/ga/messages/5432.html:
> John Weiss
>
> On 30/10/2014 15:35, Nevilla Ottley wrote:
>> Check with John and see if there is more information from what he
>> gave 14 years ago.

[ . . . . . ]

John Weiss via

Nov 2, 2014, 1:42:21 PM11/2/14
to marian, clas...@erols.com, cari...@rootsweb.com
And William McNish the plantation owner left no children. However, he
left in his will a sum of money for the education of his housekeeper's
son, and there might have been a local supposition that William was the
father. If I can find any further information, I'll post it. I've had
communication with descendants of William's brother, who would have been
interested in claiming the housekeeper's son as a cousin, but I never
found out what connections there were between this McNish line and
others of the same name. As William and his brother came from Gatehouse
of Fleet, wider connections are very likely.
John Weiss