Book - Jamaica Surveyed

Hheathe...@aol.com

Aug 31, 2002, 6:06:31 AM8/31/02
Have just obtained the Book

"Jamaica Surveyed" by B W Higman giving plantation maps and plans of the 18th
and 19th centuries published 1988 by Jamaica Publications Ltd., Jamaica. ISBN
9768017058.
ISBN 9768017082 (pbk.)

from my local library for a couple of weeks.

It is indexed but find that names on maps are NOT! Most maps are 19th
century.

Am prepared to do a few lookups but suggest that anyone with close
connections tries to obtain the book.

eg. William Voce's plan of Samuel Douce's patent in St.Ann 1782 gives the
following names on the plan:-

Robert Worsley 265 acres surveyed 1729
Richard Wainsborough? 300 acres surveyed 1760
Robert Sutherland 300 acres surveyed 1760
Richard M P Gipson 300 acres surveyed 1760
Peter Scott 33 surv. 1765
Samuel Douce 300 surv 1755
Jacob Cordoza 300 surv 1754
William Cussons and Arthur Sparks 600 surv 1677
Charles Lewallen? 300 surv 1754
David Lewallen 300 surv 1754
Moses Cardoza 300 surv 1754

RLYMA...@aol.com

Aug 31, 2002, 1:56:11 PM8/31/02
<PRE>Dear Heather - Very interesting. Of course, I am interested in plantation
ownership of the Cohen, Isaacs, and there he is again, Cerf families. Do
these maps give actual boundaries of the various plantations? And do they
give specific dates - and acquisitions for the various plantations? Thank
you - Richard.

TJR

Aug 31, 2002, 4:17:47 PM8/31/02
Hello Heather

If you come across the Plantation named Duckworth situated in St Thomas in
The East, I would be most grateful for any details that you find. It was
owned by my 3rd Great Grandfather Charles White Williams c 1800 to 1840;

Yours in anticipation
Jean

all messages posted to CARIBBEAN-L are archived at
http://archiver.rootsweb.com/
Before posting a query, see if the question has already been asked

Nevilla E. Ottley

Aug 31, 2002, 8:06:39 PM8/31/02
Anything to do with Ottley/Ottey, or Grosvenor, or Taitt/Tate/Tait in
your book, Heather?

Nevilla

Haakon Chevalier

Sep 1, 2002, 1:31:16 AM9/1/02
Hheathe...@aol.com wrote:

> Have just obtained the Book
>
> "Jamaica Surveyed" by B W Higman

> from my local library for a couple of weeks.

> Am prepared to do a few lookups but suggest that anyone with close
> connections tries to obtain the book.

Hi, Heather,

Thanks for your kind offer. Am looking for Peixotto/Pixotto/Peixoto. The only
locations I know were in Kingston from before 1775 through the 19th century, and
in Spanish Town in the latter half of the 19th century. Does the book include the
cities?

Haakon Chevalier

--
To reply, please remove "AntiSpam" from the return address.

Hheathe...@aol.com

Sep 1, 2002, 5:16:20 AM9/1/02
Your names of Cohen, Isaacs and Cerf are not indexed. So, will add them to my
list for a final check.
Most of the maps are very detailed as they are copies of original surveys.
They are dated, named and surveyed by e.g. James L. Windett. From 18th and
19thC's. Some show what is being grown in each area. Where the houses lie and
in some cases even give the plots of lands that individuals have use of. Not
to mention boundaries and to whose land they are adjacent.
This is where one really needs to see the book as the details cannot be read
without a magnifying glass - even though I normally wear glasses!
Will get back.
Heather UK

Hheathe...@aol.com

Sep 1, 2002, 5:16:24 AM9/1/02
Duckworth Plantation is mentioned on pages 246/247.

Page 246 mentions:
Few plans of coffee plantations provided detailed pictures of the layout at
workers' housing. A plan of Come See Plantation in St. Mary (St. George)
produced by Munro, Stevenson and Innes in 1803 showed the slaves' houses as
squares set out in three lines along the steep slope between the works and
the great house (Figure 8.35).
John M Smith's 1836 plan of Duckworth and Dacresfield, bordering Old
Monklands in St. Thomas, indicated a more scattered distribution of
"bee-hive" houses, though with hints of regularity (Figure 8.36 page 247).
None of these examples conformed to the barrack-like housing recommended by
Laborie (Figures 5.1, 5.3 above). etc.

Page 247 just shows the above and the only writing on it "The Kings Road to
Morant Bay".

I have seen the Williams name on maps so will check later.

The only Williams indexed are:

Bartholomew Ibbott Williams, page 224
Cumberland Pen was the property of the heirs of Joseph Barnes at the time of
emancipation. By 1837 it had descended to Thomas Barnes "of Great Britain"
who employed Bartholomew Ibbott Williams (executor of Joseph Barnes' estate)
as attorney, and Samuel Sharpe Wortley as overseer. In 1848 Barnes and
Wortley sought to enter into a lease agreement for a part of Cumberland Pen.
This lease was never carried out but the negotiations produced a detailed
survey and plan intended for attachment to the deed (Figure 7.26 (Page 225)).
The survey began with Thomas Harrison's notice: etc.
(My comment: have checked the map and it is purely a survey and no other
names mentioned)

Mary Williams page 214
Ref. to Spring Plain Pen, Clarendon
In the plan of the above dated Feb and March 1860 there is the comment (page
213) "The parcel shaded blue and marked L is a further trespass by Mr.
Farquhar on Spring Plain it contains about six acres and had been sold by Mr.
Farquhar to Ned Goulbourn, Mrs. Bartley, Edward Jones and Mary Williams.
These sales have not been surveyed (n)or has Mr. Farquhar accounted for the
proceeds."

My comment: Spring Plain Pen is adjacent to the following going from north,
east, south, west: Olyphants Estate, Mount Pleasant Pen, Tweed Side, Old
House Pen, Dee Side, Little Mountain, Victoria Town.

Other names mentioned on the plan are: Thomas Lewis, William Davis, Charles
Davis, Edward Campbell, John Kennedy, Henry Anderson , Robert L Padmore,
Sarah Harry?, Francis Farquhar,

Hheathe...@aol.com

Sep 1, 2002, 5:16:26 AM9/1/02
Nevilla
None of these names is indexed. Will add them to my list
Regards
Heather UK

Hheathe...@aol.com

Sep 1, 2002, 5:16:30 AM9/1/02
These names are not indexed. Have seen a map of Kingston with a few names of
the larger land owners.
If you have a specific place, let me have it and you might be lucky when I go
through with my magnifying glass!!
Regards
Heather UK

Nevilla E. Ottley

Sep 1, 2002, 8:52:56 AM9/1/02
Thank you, Heather,

Nevilla

Hheathe...@aol.com wrote:

>For information on individual islands, research aids, island bulletin boards or history please visit the CaribbeanGenWeb project at
>http://www.rootsweb.com/~caribgw/

TJR

Sep 1, 2002, 1:32:45 PM9/1/02
Hello Heather

Many thanks for undertaking the lookup in the book for me, I appreciate your
help very much. Strangely we knew that Charles W Williams owned Duckworth
and Dacresfield Plantations, so its great that you found both because we
have never been able to find Dacresfield listed before in official records
only in family accounts.
Will now see if my Library has the book.
Again sincere thanks
Regards Jean

Sep 1, 2002, 9:41:38 PM9/1/02
Hi Heather.........

Tis the other Heather. Could you keep an eye out for Figueroa in
Kingston, and Cooper in both Trelawney & Westmorland for me? In
particular, one Wilkin Cooper who died in 1841 in Trelawney. The
Coopers appear to all have lived in Falmouth in the first half of the
19th century......and in Sav-la-Mar in Westmorland after that time.

Jose/Joseph or Theophilus Figueroa were mid to late 1800's.

Much appreciated and do it at your leisure.

Cheers.......Heather Fig.

Haakon Chevalier

Sep 2, 2002, 1:06:35 AM9/2/02
Thanks, Heather!

Here are the only places (within those two cities) that I know of:

There were three A.C. Peixottos in the 1819 tax assessment: one on Orange St.,
one on Harbour St., and one on White St.

Abraham and Grace Peixotto were buried in the Orange Street Cemetery in Kingston,
so they probably lived not too far from there.

David Peixotto lived on Young corner of Adelaide in Spanish Town in 1878, and a
D.C. Peixotto living on 21 Beeston in Kingston the same year.

The remaining records that I have at most only mention the town names.

Thought of another possibility for the names. All those mentioned are named
[firstname] Cohen Peixotto, so they are sometimes listed under Cohen.

Thanks again for your trouble,

Haakon Chevalier

Hheathe...@aol.com wrote:

--
PLEASE NOTE: I have modified my "reply to" address in an effort to avoid
automated spam. If you wish to reply to me, please remove "AntiSpam" from the

Hheathe...@aol.com

Sep 2, 2002, 4:23:45 PM9/2/02
Hi Heather
Sorry no mention in index of any of these.
I will shortly have completed the book and will send you an attachment with
all the references from the maps, most of which are not indexed.
There might be something there for you.
Regards
Heather

Hheathe...@aol.com

Sep 2, 2002, 5:29:54 PM9/2/02
To those interested in the book "Jamaica Surveyed"
I have now completed the search through the book - there are 19 pages typed
up in Microsoft Word listing names found on maps and not indexed.
In addition I am going to try photocopying a few pages which list names in
"Negro Grounds" and try and scan them. There are just too many names to
transcribe. If successful, I will let you know.
Please, can those interested now get back to me and let me know if you would
like those 19 pages sent as an attachment. You can then do your own search
for names. However, please remember that for most of them I have had to use
a magnifying glass and I know some are incorrect but may be close enough for
you to have a good guess.
Regards
Heather UK

Charlene Beney

Sep 2, 2002, 6:32:22 PM9/2/02
Would love to have a copy of the list...thank you very much
Charlene Beney--co-ordinator for St. George, NB Parish Pages
http://www.rootsweb.com/~nbpstgeo/

Sep 2, 2002, 7:01:18 PM9/2/02
Yes Please Heather.
Thank you.
Edward

Heather Figueroa

Sep 2, 2002, 9:33:46 PM9/2/02
Thanks very much for taking a look, Heather. I would love to get the 19
pages and who knows what nuggets they may contain........

Cheers.......Figgs

Madeleine Mitchell

Sep 3, 2002, 1:01:29 AM9/3/02

>"Jamaica Surveyed" by B W Higman giving plantation maps and plans of the
18th
>and 19th centuries published 1988 by Jamaica Publications Ltd., Jamaica.
ISBN
>9768017058.
>ISBN 9768017082 (pbk.)

This book was the first book that I reviewed in the Jamaican Genealogy:
Source of the Month back in July 1996, on my GenWeb site and Home site.
Some of you may be interested in the fact that Higman's book only covers
about 1000 properties surveyed out of the 20,000+ estate and other maps of
surveyors which are held in the National Library of Jamaica in Kingston.
Madeleine Mitchell
Pullman, WA 99163
mitc...@pullman.com
URL:(Home Page) <http://users.pullman.com/mitchelm/jamaica.htm>
URL:(WorldGenWeb-Jamaica)
<http://www.rootsweb.com/~jamwgw/index.htm>

GWils...@aol.com

Sep 3, 2002, 5:06:13 AM9/3/02
Please send me the pages as an attachment. Thank you.

Gordon Wilson

TJR

Sep 3, 2002, 5:32:36 AM9/3/02
Hello Heather

I would like to receive the attachment when you come to sending them out.
Many thanks for your kindness, it is very much appreciated.

Regards Jean

Sep 4, 2002, 8:31:02 AM9/4/02
Hi Heather:

That's a great job you're doing. I would certainly appreciate a copy of the
names in question.

Thanks!

Dorothy

Sep 4, 2002, 11:57:26 AM9/4/02
Heather
I too thank you for your work and would appreciate a copy of the names

Thanks
Rhona

Nancy Asti

Sep 6, 2002, 10:55:47 PM9/6/02
Hello, my gggggg granfather was John Evers. He was born in Ireland and had a
daughter Katherine, who married John Leonard. John and Katherine moved to St.
THOmas VI in 1832 where their daughter Jane was born. Supposedly someone in this
family owned or worked on plantations called Esperanza and Flamingo Pond. ANyone
ever heard of these or of John Evers or John Leonard?
Thanks, Nancy

Nancy Asti

Sep 6, 2002, 10:56:41 PM9/6/02
Yes, I would love to have the pages as an attachment.
Nancy Asti

Angela G.

Sep 12, 2002, 11:23:30 PM9/12/02
Heather,

I too would love a copy of the 19 pages your typed. Thanks for the hard
work.

Angela duQuesnay-Garcia
aleg...@yahoo.com
Victoria, BC, Canada

Tom Reese

Sep 22, 2002, 4:24:06 PM9/22/02
Any information involving Davis, Williams, Robinson, and Jolly would be
helpful.

Thanks

<Hheathe...@aol.com> wrote in message

> Have just obtained the Book
>

> "Jamaica Surveyed" by B W Higman giving plantation maps and plans of the
18th
> and 19th centuries published 1988 by Jamaica Publications Ltd., Jamaica.
ISBN
> 9768017058.
> ISBN 9768017082 (pbk.)
>

> from my local library for a couple of weeks.
>

> It is indexed but find that names on maps are NOT! Most maps are 19th
> century.
>

> Am prepared to do a few lookups but suggest that anyone with close
> connections tries to obtain the book.

carle.pilgrim

Oct 4, 2002, 1:51:00 PM10/4/02
Is it possible to get a copy?

Carole

> <PRE>Dear Heather - Very interesting. Of course, I am interested in plantation
> ownership of the Cohen, Isaacs, and there he is again, Cerf families. Do
> these maps give actual boundaries of the various plantations? And do they
> give specific dates - and acquisitions for the various plantations? Thank
> you - Richard.

Hello,

My Gt. Gt. Gt. Gt. Grandfather was Charles White (Williams) - Mary was my Gt. Gt. Gt. Grandmother; his 4th daughter of listed on the Duckworth Plantation
(Morning Post Oct. 29th 1841 - announces her marriage to John)

Of course, as I am hoping, you may know all this & more which is the reason for the note. Please could you let me know anything about this side of my ancestry?

Regards,

David Graham

David Graham

Aug 12, 2021, 7:41:39 AM8/12/21
On Saturday, August 31, 2002 at 9:17:47 PM UTC+1, TJR wrote:
> Hello Heather
> If you come across the Plantation named Duckworth situated in St Thomas in
> The East, I would be most grateful for any details that you find. It was
> owned by my 3rd Great Grandfather Charles White Williams c 1800 to 1840;
> Yours in anticipation
> Jean
Hi Jean, Just found this thread, I'm interested as he was also my Gt, Gt, Gt, Grandfather. His daughter was Mary Sophia Williams. David