BARRETT, APPLETON and WAITE families Jamaica/Barbados late 18th Century

Kayak Man

Nov 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/30/98
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for connections between the above three families in the mid to
late 18th century. The BARRETTS were from Cinnamon Hill, St James, Jamaica
but I've no location information on either the WAITE or APPLETON families.

The people I'm interested in are:

1. Raynes Waite APPLETON, born about 1796 in Jamaica, son of William and
Mary APPLETON.

2. Raynes Barrett WAITE, born ca 1750 place unknown.

3. William APPLETON, mentioned above, married Mary WAITE, daughter of
Raynes Barrett WAITE, date and location unknown, possibly Jamaica.

4. Elizabeth Barrett WAITE, possible sister of previous Raynes Barrett
WAITE and cousin to Samuel BARRETT, son of Edward BARRETT of Cinnamon Hill
(1734 -1798).

Elizabeth married Martyn WILLIAMS in Jamaica, date and place
unknown. After the death of Martyn Williams, she later had 4 illegitimate
children with her cousin Samuel BARRETT. Amongst these was Richard BARRETT
(1789 to 1839, three times Speaker of the House of Assembly in Jamaica)

Raynes Barrett WAITE was living in Liverpool, England in 1800 and probably
died there. Raynes Waite APPLETON also died near Liverpool, England in the
1850s.

Any suggestions as to suitable sources to check would be most helpful. There
doesn't seem to be anything in the 1992 fiche version of the Caribbean IGI.

Best wishes

Paul Young
Liverpool UK

Jones

Dec 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/1/98
Hi David

I have details about the Barretts. My ancestors, the Scarletts were
very inter-related with them - mind you, all families in Jamaica were
in those days, which makes genealogy very interesting :-)

I can give you a few details straight away - but would need to probe
further to help more. I know very little about Appleton (except that I
am a great fan of a Jamaican rum puch made with Appleton rum: one of
sour [lime juice], 2 of sweet [sugar], 3 of strong [Appleton Special -
available at Tescos] and 4 of weak [water - a little of which I use
to dilute the sugar and the rest in ice]. ENJOY!

Anyway, back to the subject, and in no particular order, and in need
of scrupulous checking:

1. Elizabeth married Martyn Williams on 29th December 1771, St James
(Parish Reg)

2. Sir Thomas Waite of Raynes Court, Hampshire was Lord Lieutenant of
Warwickshire and left England for Jamaica in 1660

3. Sir Thomas's grandson was Henry Waite of Blue Hole, St James,
Jamaica who married Mary Barrett in 1746. She was born 24 Nov 1727 and
died 11 Mar 1810.

4. Henry and Mary's daughter was Elizabeth Barrett Waite who died in
1834

5. There was a Richard Waite who married Penelope Elizabeth Fisher on
6 May 1771, St James (Parish reg)

6. Richard and Penelope's daughter was Mary Ann Waite who was
Christened on 8 Dec 1774, St James

7. Sir Thomas's brother (see above) was Raynes Waite

8. Raynes Barrett Waite married Mary (Ricketts?) in St James and had a
daughter Frances Ricketts Waite, born 21 May 1782

9. Martyn Williams, late of Jamaica, now of London, will dated 27 Mar
1786: "My friends George Goodin Barret of Trelawny esq, Edward Barrett
of St James Esq & Richard Barrett Waite of Trelawny, Merchant"

10. Philip Anglin Morris married Amelia Barrett Waite on 29 June 1782,
St James

11. John Barrett Waite married Helen (Simpson?) and had John Simpson
Waite, born 13 Aug 1780

12. Alexander Ricketts married Sarah Barrett Waite 15 Oct 1785, St
James

13. John Barrett Waite married Helen (Wollery?) and had a daughter
Helen Woolery Waite

Many of my snippets come from Jeanette Marks who wrote a book about
the Barretts - and her research papers are in The Society of
Genealogists in London. Other bits come from LDS microfiche.

I have countless more.......especially about the Barretts. I'll try
and gather together a few more...but I must remember that this is just
a hobby

Hope some of this helps. I have lots more.

Sally

Professionals Direct Limited
Professional Skills Resourcing
www.professionalsdirect.co.uk
info at professionalsdirect dot co dot uk

Kayak Man

Dec 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/2/98
Hi Sally,

I think I must have used my son David's e-mail account ( Kayak Man) by
mistake to send the first message.

Firstly thank you very much for replying, you have saved me much much work
which I do appreciate. You've explained where the name Raynes comes from
which was an odd one to me.

I was aware that the Jamaica Plantation families tended to intermarry quite
a lot and was hoping someone would have a connection.

I've been working on this problem for a few years and only with the recent
release of the new LDS church British Vital Statistics CD was there a lead,
a link between the APPLETON and WAITE families in Liverpool. From there to
the BARRETTs of Jamaica.

I'll have to check if Jeanette Marks' book is available in Liverpool.

Incidentally, from your note 8 below, Raynes Barrett WAITE's daughter
Frances Ricketts WAITE married William DICKSON junior on 27 Jan 1801 at St
Mary's Church, Walton, near Liverpool. He belonged to the well known
Liverpool Merchant family the DICKSONs.

If you can look up any further info, this would be much appreciated. I
realise only too well how much time this all takes.

I like the mention of Appleton rum, perhaps a family connection!!!

Best wishes

Paul Young
Liverpool UK

info at professionalsdirect dot co dot uk (Jones) wrote in message
<36643730...@news.demon.co.uk>...

>Hi David
>
>I have details about the Barretts. My ancestors, the Scarletts were
>very inter-related with them - mind you, all families in Jamaica were
>in those days, which makes genealogy very interesting :-)

dot co dot uk

carrie...@gmail.com

Nov 30, 2013, 1:18:45 PM11/30/13
On Monday, 30 November 1998 21:00:00 UTC+13, Kayak Man wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm looking for connections between the above three families in the mid to
> late 18th century. The BARRETTS were from Cinnamon Hill, St James, Jamaica
> but I've no location information on either the WAITE or APPLETON families.
>
> The people I'm interested in are:
>
> 1. Raynes Waite APPLETON, born about 1796 in Jamaica, son of William and
> Mary APPLETON.
>
> 2. Raynes Barrett WAITE, born ca 1750 place unknown.
>
> 3. William APPLETON, mentioned above, married Mary WAITE, daughter of
> Raynes Barrett WAITE, date and location unknown, possibly Jamaica.
>
> 4. Elizabeth Barrett WAITE, possible sister of previous Raynes Barrett
> WAITE and cousin to Samuel BARRETT, son of Edward BARRETT of Cinnamon Hill
> (1734 -1798).
>
> Elizabeth married Martyn WILLIAMS in Jamaica, date and place
> unknown. After the death of Martyn Williams, she later had 4 illegitimate
> children with her cousin Samuel BARRETT. Amongst these was Richard BARRETT
> (1789 to 1839, three times Speaker of the House of Assembly in Jamaica)
>
> Raynes Barrett WAITE was living in Liverpool, England in 1800 and probably
> died there. Raynes Waite APPLETON also died near Liverpool, England in the
> 1850s.
>
> Any suggestions as to suitable sources to check would be most helpful. There
> doesn't seem to be anything in the 1992 fiche version of the Caribbean IGI.
>
> Best wishes
>
> Paul Young
> Liverpool UK

Hi
My name is Carrie Reid and I too am researching inter-relationships in these families to better understand who they were.
Item of interest I havevarious documents that show Col Thomas Waite of Cromwell's forces had a son Roger Waite. He married Anne Williams and they had 3 daughters Jane, Dorothy and Mary. Mary was born Jamaica in 1686. Thomas another son had 2 children Charles!! (interesting name choice) and a daughter. Both born St Catherines's Jamaica, then Thomas also had a son Henry who died without family and left all to various Waite family members,then there is Sir Nicholas Waite-died with children but big inheritance disputes over the family,a daughter Dorothea and Raynes Waite a son who is reputed to be the father of Sarah by the Burke's books.
Jacob and John Rickets of George Rickets and Sarah Waite's family refer to cousin Dibell and Dibell's wife Martha. This Martha is Martha Balch/Dibell daughter of Dorthy Waite (daughter of Roger Waite) and Waite Dibell (son of Jane Waite).
Martha Balch had sisters Ann and Catherine and brother Edward,all lived in West Ham. Catherine married Hugh Bantock, her guardian at the time was Waite Dibell, her cousin. Ann Balch married 'Richard Appleton' Jane Waite is mentioned in the Rickett's wills now as Jane Parsons as she married twice.
Think one of the Ricketts was in Liverpool too and died there.
Hope this is of interest. I have access to the will of Martha Dibell, Jane Parsons, an inheritance dispute document for the maternal side of Anne Williams of London, will of Henry Waite, will if Charles Waite, Nicholas Waite.
Thanks Carrie

carrie...@gmail.com

Mar 31, 2014, 5:36:59 PM3/31/14
Anne Balch daughter of Dorothy Waite(daughter of Roger Waite, granddaughter of Col Thomas) m Richard Appleton in London. May be a connection.
Jane Reynes wife of Col Thomas Waite was daughter of Robert Reynes of Stanford on Soar, Notts. her mother was a Dorothy Barrett daughter of a William Barrett of Wymeswold, Leicestershire. No proven connection to Barrett of Hearcy Barrett yet but looking for it:)

how...@gmail.com

Jul 21, 2016, 7:44:03 AM7/21/16
On Monday, March 31, 2014 at 5:36:59 PM UTC-4, carrie...@gmail.com wrote:
> Anne Balch daughter of Dorothy Waite(daughter of Roger Waite, granddaughter of Col Thomas) m Richard Appleton in London. May be a connection.
> Jane Reynes wife of Col Thomas Waite was daughter of Robert Reynes of Stanford on Soar, Notts. her mother was a Dorothy Barrett daughter of a William Barrett of Wymeswold, Leicestershire. No proven connection to Barrett of Hearcy Barrett yet but looking for it:)

There is a Sarah Waite with 5 children (John, Thomas, Robert, Sandy and Samuel) who were all manusmitted (freed) on Jun 1, 1817 by Raines Barrett Waite (Parliamentary Papers: 1780-1849 Volume 28, page 418). This suggests to me that this Sarah was either Raines (Raynes?) partner or child.

I am trying to find a link between the WAITE, BARRETT and WIGGAN families. I have a John ("Jackie") WIGGAN (my ggg grandfather) who had children with a Sarah (I suspect WAITE). Three of their 6 children were named Francis WAITE WIGGAN (b 1831), John WAITE WIGGAN (b. 1833), Frances WAITE WIGGAN (b. 1836). John Waite Wiggan (my gg grandfather) had a son George BARRETT WIGGAN (my g grandfather). George Barrett Wiggan had a son John Simpson WAITE WIGGAN, a daughter Edith WAITE WIGGAN, and another son George BARRETT Anthony WIGGAN. Family tradition has it that Jackie Wiggan came from Gretna, Yorkshire, England - but that may not be accurate.

Deelord7

Aug 29, 2018, 2:26:57 PM8/29/18
To: @Howard Vermont
Re; On Thursday, July 21, 2016 at 7:44:03 AM UTC-4, Howard Vermont wrote:
> There is a Sarah Waite with 5 children (John, Thomas, Robert, Sandy and Samuel) who were all manusmitted (freed) on Jun 1, 1817 by Raines Barrett Waite (Parliamentary Papers: 1780-1849 Volume 28, page 418). This suggests to me that this Sarah was either Raines (Raynes?) partner or child.
>
> I am trying to find a link between the WAITE, BARRETT and WIGGAN families. I have a John ("Jackie") WIGGAN (my ggg grandfather) who had children with a Sarah (I suspect WAITE). Three of their 6 children were named Francis WAITE WIGGAN (b 1831), John WAITE WIGGAN (b. 1833), Frances WAITE WIGGAN (b. 1836). John Waite Wiggan (my gg grandfather) had a son George BARRETT WIGGAN (my g grandfather). George Barrett Wiggan had a son John Simpson WAITE WIGGAN, a daughter Edith WAITE WIGGAN, and another son George BARRETT Anthony WIGGAN. Family tradition has it that Jackie Wiggan came from Gretna, Yorkshire, England - but that may not be accurate.

Hello,

I have been researching the Raynes Barrett Waite/Colonel Thomas Waite(regicide) family for the past 5 years. I followed the family down from Col. Thomas to the generation of RB’s children and hit a wall.

I am a Waite descendant through my maternal gg grandfather Alexander Mulgrave Waite, who was christened in 1837 in Manchester and who resided in Saint Elizabeth. From my research, I believe Alexander had a brother named John Montague Waite and a sister named Ann Eliza Blake(nee Waite). Alexander Waite was a tailor and planter and his family owned property in and around northern Manchester and Saint Elizabeth.

To date, I have not found definitive proof that Alexander M. Waite was a descendant of the Regicide, but I am hoping that through the knowledge I gain from my DNA matches (you being one of them), I can finally settle the matter. Unfortunately, because of the large degree of endogamy within the families Waite, Barrett, Ricketts, Appleton, Blake, etc. it is difficult to piece together the puzzle, but I remain hopeful.

sharon....@gmail.com

Jul 26, 2020, 3:52:43 PM7/26/20
Hi

I am interested in the Waite Family. Both of my Maternal Great Grandparents were Waites from St James Jamaica . My G Grandmother was Waite prior to marriage which was found in the index. Unfortunately the marriage is missing from the Register.

I have recently had a 5th -8th Cousin DNA Match who connects to Rayners Waite. I have also had another match show up that has a tree with the Moulton Barrett’s.

Is there any information regarding the illegitimate children, and wills.

Sharon