[Carib] Foster Hall Plantation, Barbados

Kathleen Grubb Bailey

Nov 20, 2008, 4:57:47 AM11/20/08
to Caribbean mailing list
I have just discovered that an ancestor lived/worked at Foster Hall Plantation in Barbados, but there doesn't seem to be much on the net about it. Does anyone out there know where/if there are any sources or slave registers for this plantation?

Thank you! Kathleen

Emanuel, Yvonne E CIV USA AMC

Nov 20, 2008, 9:37:16 AM11/20/08
to kathle...@yahoo.ca, cari...@rootsweb.com
Kathleen,

What resources are you using for your Barbados research?

Yvonne

Thank you! Kathleen

Nevilla E Ottley

Nov 20, 2008, 11:28:38 AM11/20/08
to cari...@rootsweb.com, kathle...@yahoo.ca
Dear Kathleen,

My name is Nevilla Ottley. My great-grandfather was Joseph Alfred Taitt
(1861-1924), and his father was Thomas Henry Taitt, and his father was Henry
Taitt, a slave of Paul Yard at Foster Hall. He was baptized as an adult in
1819. However, the plantation house at Foster Hall sank and was covered
over by the forest on the hill above. It went straight down, so they when
they excavated, they found a wedding cake that was on the table, still
securely on the table. The plantation house on that land now was built in
1819. That property went on sale about 5 or 6 years ago, then was taken off
the market. It is about 160 acres, some of it overlooking the Atlantic
Ocean. http://www.moviemakersguide.com/data/h/hanpr0428/hanpr0428a.htm

You can find more info at:

http://www.barbados.org/diduknow.htm
http://barbadoshash.com/pics.htm
http://www.travelwithachallenge.com/Barbados.htm

Let me know why you are interested in Foster Hall. Are you a relative?

Nevilla E. Ottley

Kathleen Grubb Bailey

Nov 20, 2008, 3:58:44 PM11/20/08
to Nevilla E Ottley, cari...@rootsweb.com
Hi Nevilla

Thank you for the links, those were really interesting.

I am researching my husband's ancestors so I am not a blood relative. His father was from Barbados and came to England when Transport for London was recruiting in the 1950's.

The reason I'm enquiring about Foster Hall is because I found that my husband's great-great-great grandparent's marriage record listed them as living and working on the plantation in 1849. Their names were Joseph Goddard and Jane Shorey.

Kathleen

--- On Thu, 11/20/08, Nevilla E Ottley <clas...@erols.com> wrote:

Get the name you've always wanted @ymail.com or @rocketmail.com! Go to http://ca.promos.yahoo.com/jacko/

Ernest Wiltshire

Nov 21, 2008, 10:21:03 AM11/21/08
to kathle...@yahoo.ca, cari...@rootsweb.com
Hello Kathleen: it is very interesting to me that your husband's
ancestors are Joseph Goddard & Jane Shorey, and I am curious as to how
he connects to this branch of the Goddards. Is he a Bailey?

I have data on several generations of Joseph & Jane's descendants, but
my data is certainly incomplete, as I do not know who some of Joseph's
granddaughters may have married.

You may already know that Joseph was apparently in later life the sexton
of St. Margaret's Chapel, in St. John, which is the family church of
many of my Goddard and Gibson relatives (my own Goddards are not of your
branch). I do have photos of the church if you are interested.

I can send you further Godard data privately, if you like. That sort of
thing is too detailed to post on the List. I also have in my possession
a transcript of almost all Barbados Goddard baptisms, marriages and
deaths up to 1900 which I am not at liberty to share in toto, but I can
do the occasional lookup folks, within reason!

Regards
Ernest Wiltshire

Kathleen Grubb Bailey

Nov 21, 2008, 4:28:32 PM11/21/08
to Ernest Wiltshire, cari...@rootsweb.com
Hi Ernest

Thank you for getting in touch. I will contact you privately.

Regards, Kathleen

Nov 21, 2008, 4:54:12 PM11/21/08
to cari...@rootsweb.com

Ernest,

You constantly seem to come up with things that catch my attention. Now between you and Kathleen, I see things that I must ask about.

You each mention Goddards. I have a few of these in my tree. They married into the family in the 1850's but were at that time at least second generation farmers in the Westmeath area of Ontario, not of The
Caribbean. I do not know where they came from, nor do I know where the descendants all went once they were part of the family. My late mother remembers visiting them as kids in the '20's and 30's. While it is my
father's side of the family that has the Caribbean connection, not my mother's, I suppose if one family moved to Ontario, no doubt many others did as well. It would be odd to think that I have Caribbean roots from
both sides of my family in an unrelated fashion.

So do either of you think you have a connection with these Goddards?

Edmund Goddard (dob 1826) and wife Margaret Colquhoun, 1830-1893
son Robert Goddard, 1854-1938 and wife Margaret Garrett, 1851-1921
and their children, John, Jessie, Edmund, Flora, Robert, Hubert and Gideon.

Thanks,

Ralph
Kenora, ON

Kathleen Grubb Bailey wrote:
> Hi Nevilla Thank you for the links, those were really interesting.
> I am researching my husband's ancestors so I am not a blood relative. His father was from Barbados and came to England when Transport for London was recruiting in the 1950's.
> The reason I'm enquiring about Foster Hall is because I found that my husband's great-great-great grandparent's marriage record listed them as living and working on the plantation in 1849. Their names were
Joseph Goddard and Jane Shorey.
> Kathleen

***************************

Ernest Wiltshire

Nov 21, 2008, 5:53:39 PM11/21/08
to cari...@rootsweb.com
Hello Ralph I'm afraid that I don't recognise any of the names you
mention, and I am not aware of any 19th century Barbados Goddard links
to Ontario (though anything is possible!)

The Barbados Goddards came there early in the 17th century from a small
village called Staple FitzPaine, in Somerset, England. It is not
necessarily the only county where Goddards were from, but it might give
you a starting point.
Ernest

Kathleen Grubb Bailey

Nov 23, 2008, 10:04:23 AM11/23/08
to cari...@rootsweb.com
Hi Ralph

I'm sorry but I'm really new to researching these families and don't know of any who were in Canada. Sorry!

Kathleen

nancy...@gmail.com

Jan 24, 2014, 2:35:03 PM1/24/14
Hello Ernest, My name is Nancy Allen (maiden name King) and I am research my King family history from Barbados. I see that you say you have a transcript of almost all Barbados Goddard baptisms, marriages, and deaths. My great grandfather was named William Donkley King and was married to Amelia Frances Goddard (Born I believe in 1858 in Barbados). I am very interested in any information regarding her family. Do you have any information you could share to aid in my search. Their son, my grandfather, William Duncan King, came to Nova Scotia, Canada in 1902 at the age of 10 or 11, aboard a wooden schooner - our family is quite interested to trace our Barbados roots. Thanks! Nancy