Hackshaws

JOHN BRASSELL

Aug 18, 2002, 3:29:01 AM8/18/02
Has anyone found good genealogical resources for St Vincent? I am researching the Hackshaw line 1700-1900.
Thanks,
John

Nneka X

Aug 18, 2002, 8:49:56 PM8/18/02
Hi John,

There are some good genealogical resources for St. Vincent. I have been
doing my research for two years now and have made major strides in filling
in many blanks on my family tree. How long have you been doing your research
and how much information do you have? The name Hackshaw is also found in
Barbados and I think Jamaica, too. Fellow members, correct me if I'm wrong.
As we all know our West Indian ancestors were more mobile than we like to
give them credit. This sometimes makes our job a little tougher but it turns
us into veritable sleuths along the way. And investigating can be fun. Jim
Cropper, Guy Grannum, Chris Cod, Cindy, Nevilla and many other members could
be very valuable sources concerning your research. They have been doing this
longer than I have. I also got my hands on a book called "People on the
Move" when a friend went to St Vincent recently. I'll look in it to see if I
find anything on Hackshaw.

Happy Hunting,

Cheryl Hazell
[Still researching Hazell and Ollivierre in St. Vincent and especially
Hazells on Mustique...does anyone have any documentation on this island
between the years 1865-1958 when the Hazells owned it? Still missing some
information for this time frame.]

Macmail

Aug 18, 2002, 10:35:33 PM8/18/02
I am not researching Hackshaws, but wondered if you knew that there are a few in St Lucia?
Marcia MacDiarmid

For information on individual islands, research aids, island bulletin boards or history please visit the CaribbeanGenWeb project at
http://www.rootsweb.com/~caribgw/

Jenny Sturges

Aug 19, 2002, 4:20:25 AM8/19/02
I am researching HAWKSHAW in St Kitts - I wonder if there is a connection of
an alternative spelling for HACKSHAW? Would be grateful to hear what others
think?
Many thanks
Jenny

> ROOTSWEB MAILING LIST HELP PAGES
> What is a Mailing List?
> http://helpdesk.rootsweb.com/help/mail1.html

John Weiss

Aug 19, 2002, 4:21:22 AM8/19/02
In Trinidad there is John Milton Hackshaw, a prominent chonicler of the
community of the Company Villages near Princes Town, the 'Merikens'.

John Weiss
For more on the 'Merikens', follow the history links at
http://freespace.virgin.net/john.weiss/mchish-weiss.html

Doug Newsam

Aug 19, 2002, 7:36:42 AM8/19/02
There is at least one "next" generation of Hackshaws in St Lucia. I knew two
brothers, Peter and Michael, both of whom have since died. Mike had sons and
daughter(s) who, with his widow, Pat, I believe are still in St Lucia.
Doug Newsam

James W Cropper

Aug 19, 2002, 11:23:38 AM8/19/02
Hi John,

The best genealogical source for St. Vincent is the transcriptions of the
records in St. George's Cathedral, Church of England, in Kingstown, St.
Vincent, BWI. The source is the LDS Family History Library Film # 1162485
and contains the Parish Records of St George, St Andrew and others. The
following lists are only for the years where the indexes show there are
entries :-
Baptisms 1765-1870 Index
Baptisms of Slaves 1826-1834 No Index
Marriages 1765-1870 Index
Marriages of Slaves 1825-1834 No Index
Burials 1765-1855 Index
There are no records there for other Denominations. Many of my family tree
branch were Methodists and I have yet to find any of their records after
about 1820. This also applies to Church of Scotland, French and English
Roman Catholics and Jewish. In the early years there are many French names
who may have switched churches when the island came under the British.

Regarding the BMD's of HACKSHAW there are 22-3-6 in the Transcripts.

The Patriarch and Matriarch on St. Vincent appear to have been :-
Thomas HACKSHAW (1740's - 11 Feb 1782 on Estate of ALEXANDER), Honourable,
Esquire, Member of His Majesty's Council - Married 30 Jan 1772 - Lydia
ALEXANDER, daughter of Honourable Harry ALEXANDER - had at least 2 children
plus twins 1773-75. Upon his death she met or married Alexander HACKSHAW
and had at least 3 children 1784-91.

Jim C.

tino...@gmail.com

Feb 4, 2015, 2:47:33 PM2/4/15
Hi John,
I am also researching Hackshaw from St.Vincent. My great grand father was James Alexander Hackshaw. I am looking for his father if you have any info. My grand father was Henry Loftus Tibeaudo Hackshaw and my father Harold Hackshaw.
Thanks Christine

Ernest Wiltshire via

Feb 4, 2015, 8:54:17 PM2/4/15
to cari...@rootsweb.com
Hello John & Christine: I'm afraid that there is not very much
information available online for St. Vincent, so researching Vincentian
families is not an easy task.

However, a great deal of material has been compiled by a Vincentian who
lives in Toronto, and with whom I have worked in the past, so I have
some of his data in my possession. He has extracted extensive BMD data
from the St. Vincent parish records, including material on the Hackshaws
and related families. Jim are you still on this list???

The Hackshaws happen to be one of the families in whom I have an
interest, so I do have information in my data base on the early
generations in St. Vincent and I'll be happy to share with you what I
have compiled. Please contact me directly.

Christine: I do have a bit of information on another son of Henry
Loftus, (born in Trinidad, I believe) which I can send to you. However
on looking though my Hackshaw files I can find no mention of a James
Alexander, so I am not sure just how he is connected to the main branch.
The Alexander name certainly suggests a link back to the early female
ancestress, Lydia Alexander.

Regards
Ernest Wiltshire

caq...@gmail.com

Feb 12, 2015, 9:50:06 PM2/12/15
Hello All and especially Ernest Wiltshire and Cheryl Hazell,

Ernest mentioned that a Vincentian in Toronto has extracted extensive BMD data. I wonder if you could tell me if this data is different from what is available through the Mormon Church for the Anglican parish of St. George?

Do you know of any Catholic records for St. Vincent and Bequia that anyone may have been able to collect?

Any tips would be much appreciated.

Cathy A.

Ernest Wiltshire via

Feb 13, 2015, 1:10:00 PM2/13/15
to cari...@rootsweb.com
Hello Cathy: I 'm afraid I have never consulted those records; I didn't
think there was much available online for St. Vincent. But Cheryl and
others probably know more about that. I also very much doubt if there
are any Catholic records online. Many Catholic diocese did not allow the
Mormons to film their records.

However what my friend Jim has done goes a great deal further; having
extracted the data he used it in conjunction with other sources to
compile charts for the various surnames. If you let me know what
families you are researching I can see if I happen to have any relevant
data; if not I can try to put you in touch with Jim.
Regards
Ernest Wiltshire

Richard Oliver via

Feb 14, 2015, 12:48:44 PM2/14/15
to cari...@rootsweb.com
FYI

Feb 14, 2015, 7:49:59 PM2/14/15
Hi Ernest,

Thanks very much for your response. The names I am interested in are pretty much all French. I will try to send a private message with the list.

At http://www.ghcaraibe.org/geo/geosvin2.html there is a list of people who were born or lived in St. Vincent extracted from St. Lucia and Guadeloupe records. I don't know if any of those names are of interest to you.

Cheers,

Cathy

kenrick...@gmail.com

Jun 22, 2017, 2:13:08 PM6/22/17
Hi My name is Kenrick
I am researching the Hackshaws in Trinidad and Tobago. My mother's name is Eugenia Hackshaw She died two weeks ago at 103 years she was born in 1913. Her father's name from our research was Clifton Hackshaw whose father was from Scotland.I am writing a Book on my Mother and wish to find out more about her father's family who were jewelers in Trinidad.

John Weiss

Jun 22, 2017, 6:15:20 PM6/22/17
to cari...@rootsweb.com, kenrick...@gmail.com
As regards Trinidad Hackshaws, is this enquiry connected with the family
of John Milton HACKSHAW (of St Julien VIllage, died 3 Nov 2005)? He was
part of, and researched, what he termed the "Amphy and Bashana Jackson
Fraternity", more or less the community descended from the African
American refugees of the War of 1812 and today known generally as the
Merikens/Merikins, but he was descended from John Harry Hackshaw,
"migrated from St Vincent for work at Bromage Sugar Factory". That
information is from JMH's book "Two Among Many: the genealogy of Bashana
Evins and Amphy Jackson", 1993 edition. In chapter 16 he listed all
the members of his Hackshaw family, but there is no mention of either a
Clifton or a Eugenia, so it may be that there are at least two separate
Hackshaw family lines in Trinidad. From my conversations with JMH some
years ago, I have retained the impression that his research was very
broad and based on a very large number of personal interviews, so that
it would be surprising if he had actually neglected any other Hackshaws,
but his notes on any that he thought not connected with the Amphy and
Bashana Jackson family might have remained unpublished - I gathered at
one point that his research notes were left in the care of his family.

John Weiss (connected with the /Merikens/ community by marriage to
Althea McNish)
/http://www.mcnishandweiss.co.uk/history.html for notes on the American
settlers of 1815-1816/

Mrs. Sonia Jacobs Dow

Jun 23, 2017, 6:16:25 AM6/23/17
to cari...@rootsweb.com, Chris Codrington
Good Morning All:

I do not believe in coincidences! Yesterday, Timothy Aiken told me he has Hayes roots in St. Vincent. I promised to ask the list for resources and tell him how to subscribe.

Tim, I blind copied your business address. Please write to Chris Codrington from a personal address if you prefer. Once you are subscribed, share with the list your grandmother’s full name, birthdate and date of arrival of Ellis Island. That record should also give ship name and date of departure from St. Vincent. Some times the address to which she is destined is also in the record.

Chris Codrington, please help Tim to subscribe to the list.
John Brassell, please share what you find on St. Vincent resources.
List, please do what you do best: help a fellow researcher.

Many thanks to all,
Sonia
Mrs. Sonia Jacobs Dow | Executive Director
Phone: (340) 772-0598 | Fax: (340) 772-9446
sjacobsdow@stcroixlandmarks. <applewebdata://256C0E77-AA41-48E4-AA57-63BDE3321746/exe...@stcroixlandmarks.org>org
St. Croix Landmarks Society, Inc.
Apothecary Hall Museum * Estate Whim Museum * Research Library & Archives

No 52 Estate Whim - Frederiksted | St. Croix, V.I. 00840

“Our Mission is to advance the understanding and appreciation of the unique historical and cultural legacy of St. Croix through preservation, research and education.”

Please consider supporting the work of the St. Croix Landmarks Society by becoming a volunteer and/or member ($50 for individuals and $90 for family membership). We are committed to preserving places that matter in the Virgin Islands and the stories of the people who lived and worked there.
We are a not-for-profit corporation organized under Title 501 (c) 3 of the U.S. Internal Revenue Code.
> ***************************
> The Caribbean List now has a Resources Page at Historic Antigua and Barbuda http://www.rootsweb.com/~atgwgw/ <http://www.rootsweb.com/~atgwgw/>
> -------------------------------

michf...@gmail.com

Feb 27, 2018, 5:24:00 PM2/27/18
Hello, I am just now finding this thread. I am of Hackshaw descent. My Grandfather was Conrad Hackshaw married to Millicent (Barnett) Hackshaw. From what I've been told, my grandfather's family (estranged) were jewellers in Port of Spain. I never met my grandfather, he passed away in the early 70's, but I did my grandmother, she lived to be just shy of 105. She lived in San Jaun, Trinidad in the house my grandfather built on Cor' Don Miguel Rd. I have three half brothers, one deceased. All La Caille family name. Our mother is still living and resides in England. She is one of four children from Conrad and Millicent. Only my mother and Aunt, the oldest the four siblings are living today.

tracyh...@gmail.com

Jun 18, 2018, 7:14:42 PM6/18/18
Hello... I am Tracy Hackshaw (Mr.) a direct descendant of the Hackshaws (Alister Ethel et al & the Tarquinis of Layan Hill, Belmont, Trinidad.

I stumbled upon this thread and am thoroughly intrigued.

I would be keen to find out more about the Hackshaws in the English speaking Caribbean.

Rgds

Tracy

Christine Healy

Jul 15, 2019, 2:50:52 PM7/15/19
Hi Kenrick,
My grandfather Henry L T Hackshaw owned a Jewelry Store on Frederick St.
Regards,
Christine Hackshaw

Christine Healy

Jul 15, 2019, 3:02:19 PM7/15/19
On Tuesday, February 27, 2018 at 5:24:00 PM UTC-5, michf...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello, I am just now finding this thread. I am of Hackshaw descent. My Grandfather was Conrad Hackshaw married to Millicent (Barnett) Hackshaw. From what I've been told, my grandfather's family (estranged) were jewellers in Port of Spain. I never met my grandfather, he passed away in the early 70's, but I did my grandmother, she lived to be just shy of 105. She lived in San Jaun, Trinidad in the house my grandfather built on Cor' Don Miguel Rd. I have three half brothers, one deceased. All La Caille family name. Our mother is still living and resides in England. She is one of four children from Conrad and Millicent. Only my mother and Aunt, the oldest the four siblings are living today.

Hi,
My Grandfather Henry L T Hackshaw owned a Jewelry store on Frederick st. Port of Spain.
Regards
Christine Hackshaw Healy

Christine Healy

Jul 17, 2019, 9:08:42 AM7/17/19
On Tuesday, February 27, 2018 at 5:24:00 PM UTC-5, michf...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello, I am just now finding this thread. I am of Hackshaw descent. My Grandfather was Conrad Hackshaw married to Millicent (Barnett) Hackshaw. From what I've been told, my grandfather's family (estranged) were jewellers in Port of Spain. I never met my grandfather, he passed away in the early 70's, but I did my grandmother, she lived to be just shy of 105. She lived in San Jaun, Trinidad in the house my grandfather built on Cor' Don Miguel Rd. I have three half brothers, one deceased. All La Caille family name. Our mother is still living and resides in England. She is one of four children from Conrad and Millicent. Only my mother and Aunt, the oldest the four siblings are living today.

Hi,
Just saw your post. My grandfather was Henry L T Hackshaw owner of the Hackshaw's Jewelers on Frederick st.
Do you know who Conrad's parents were?

sbhac...@gmail.com

Mar 26, 2020, 7:25:41 PM3/26/20
On Sunday, August 18, 2002 at 3:29:01 AM UTC-4, JOHN BRASSELL wrote:
Greetings John,

It is indeed a pleasure to come across this thread. I too am researching my Hackshaw lineage. My Father was John Milton Hackshaw (Trinidad).
My Great Great Grand Father was John Harry Hackshaw Sr., born in
Scotland (uk)
He migrated to St.Vincent. One of his Sons John Harry Jr migrated to Trinidad. I am about 95% certain that all Hackshaws in Trinidad are related, due to the fact that we all share that one common ancestor who originated in St.Vincent via Scotland. I have made some interesting connections in the last couple of years or so. Maybe we can share notes.

Susan

stacyc...@gmail.com

Jul 8, 2020, 9:40:57 PM7/8/20
On Tuesday, February 27, 2018 at 5:24:00 PM UTC-5, mich...@yahoo.com wrote:
> Hello, I am just now finding this thread. I am of Hackshaw descent. My Grandfather was Conrad Hackshaw married to Millicent (Barnett) Hackshaw. From what I've been told, my grandfather's family (estranged) were jewellers in Port of Spain. I never met my grandfather, he passed away in the early 70's, but I did my grandmother, she lived to be just shy of 105. She lived in San Jaun, Trinidad in the house my grandfather built on Cor' Don Miguel Rd. I have three half brothers, one deceased. All La Caille family name. Our mother is still living and resides in England. She is one of four children from Conrad and Millicent. Only my mother and Aunt, the oldest the four siblings are living today.

Hello, I believe I am related to Millicent Hackshaw as well. I am researching my family tree and would like to know more about her. Would you be open to collaborating?