Looking for Portuguese ancestors in St Vincent

Cheryl Hazell

Mar 9, 2006, 6:12:02 PM3/9/06
I'm posting this information on behalf of a young woman who has started out
on her family search.

MOTHER'S INFO: (my great grandfather:) JOSEPH OLLIVIERRE born somewhere in
Portugal in 18?? and emigrated to St. Vincent where he died, unknown date.
He married ANTONIA FERREIRA (Birth paper says Furara but we think it's
Ferreira spelt incorrectly) ... same info for birth and death. (grandmother)
BALVINA OLLIVIERRE born: May 11, 1881 in Freeland, St. Vincent died: unknown
in Trinidad, she married NORMAN GLENROY DA COSTA. their daughter (my mother)
LUCIANA DA COSTA, she was born in 1911 in St. Vincent, and still lives...
she emigrated to Trinidad and currently Canada. She married NICHOLAS DA
SILVA

FATHER'S INFO: Descendants of Emmanuel Da Silva
EMMANUEL DA SILVA born somewhere in Portugal in 18?? and emigrated to St.
Vincent where he died, unknown date. He married MARY DA SILVA ... same info
for birth and death. Son (my father) NICHOLAS DA SILVA, b. March 04, 1905,
Spring Mountain, St. Vincent, WI; d. November 09, 1993, Ajax Pickering
Hospital, Ajax, Ontario. He married LUCIANA DA COSTA, b. October 15, 1911,
Mt. Pleasant Mountain, St. Vincent, WI.

We've been told that they originated in Madeira, Portugal, but not sure if
that's true. If I could find out how to access records for St. Vincent that
would probably help.

Thanks,

Cheryl

E-Traveller

Mar 11, 2006, 1:21:49 AM3/11/06
You may be aware of this, but the names in your message are quite common in
Jamaica as well. There might be a connection. If you haven't seen the site
try http://jamaicanfamilysearch.com/

Jim

""Cheryl Hazell"" <cheryl...@sprint.ca> wrote in message

Richard Bond

Mar 17, 2006, 1:14:47 PM3/17/06
There are Portuguese Jewish families with the names Da Silva and Da
Costa in Jamaica.

Richard Bond

Mar 17, 2006, 11:08:19 PM3/17/06
The names da Silva and da Costa are two of the most common names in
Portuguese the first means "from the woods" the second "from the hill".
I have some relatives named da Costa Gomez in the Virgin Islands.

Richard Bond

Mar 17, 2006, 11:12:48 PM3/17/06

Re: Looking for Portuguese ancestors in St Vincent

Group: soc.genealogy.west-indies Date: Fri, Mar 17, 2006, 1:14pm From:

Richa...@webtv.net (Richard Bond)

    There are Portuguese Jewish families with the names Da Silva
and Da Costa in Jamaica.

http://www.RedStripeBeer.com

Richard Cheddie

Mar 21, 2006, 1:34:25 AM3/21/06
Here are some ships that took Madeirans to St. Vincent from 1845 to 1848

Helen Thompson Nov 1845
Eliza Jan 1846
Eliza Mar 1846
Catherine & Elizabeth Apr 1846
Buckers May 1846
Hallyards July 1846
James Cruikshank July 1846
Bolivar July 1846
Eliza August 1846
Catherine & Elizabeth Oct 1846
Queen Victoria Nov 1846
Clydeside Dec 1846
David Lyon Jan 1847
Eliza Jun 1847
Catherine & Elizabeth Jun 1847
Eliza Jan 1848

The names should be in the St. Vincent archives.

Cheddie

royanad...@gmail.com

Oct 13, 2014, 11:47:17 PM10/13/14
Hi I am from St vincent and my last name is Dacosta my father name is Roy Dacosta and his mother name was May Dacosta she passed away a couple of years ago. My father side of the family is carib I really dont know much about the history which is why I am surfing the internet trying to make connection

Juanita Rogers

Jan 4, 2020, 6:33:20 AM1/4/20
Hi Cheryl

I've just got a book from Amazon called Madeira's emigration to St Vincent's island in Antilles by Joao Adriano Ribeiro and it also lists the ships (plus a couple of others) which are listed later on in this thread. There was a lot of emigration from Madeira between 1845 - 1860 due to several factors: military inscription which many young men wished to avoid, potato blight, the colonial method of farming by which the land workers had to share their profits with the land owners, a grape blight which wrecked the grape harvest which made the economy nosedive, and general overpopulation. This emigration, which was largely done illegally and without passports, was driven by British Madeirans who were offering 5000 Reis per passenger. Over 1000 Madeirans came to St Vincent during these years. I am still trying to find passenger lists for all those boats as even though they would not have had a passport, I'm sure the British Colonial government in St Vincent would not have allowed them to land without taking their names. Most of the Madeirans would have ended up as indentured labourers on plantations. Amongst them, I believe, was an Antonio Correia, a shoemaker, who may well have been my great, great, great grandfather.

All the best

Juanita Rogers (de la Rosa, granddaughter of F A Corea/Casson)

zoedas...@gmail.com

Jan 22, 2020, 8:46:56 AM1/22/20
Do you know if Emmanuel had any siblings called Antonio or Anthony?

Corwin Rodgers

Sep 13, 2020, 11:15:21 AM9/13/20
On Wednesday, 22 January 2020 at 13:46:56 UTC, zoedas...@gmail.com wrote:
> Do you know if Emmanuel had any siblings called Antonio or Anthony?
I too have that book, and had been researching my multi-pluralistic paternal bloodlines. I have been all over the world researching for the last 4 decades! Kerwin Elias Teixeira Gomes de Freitas Rodgers.