Genealogy software

SC

Mar 8, 2004, 4:49:36 PM3/8/04
I am look for some EASY to use genealogy software for my dad to use, he is
in his 60's and not the best computer user around, but gets by.

Freeware would be nice, as long it is aimed at the UK and not too
americanised.

TIA
--
S.C.

A : Top Posting
Q : What annoys you about Usenet?

michael kenefick

Mar 9, 2004, 7:43:02 AM3/9/04
Okay what exactly would be an Americanization of a computer program?

SC wrote:

--
Please remove _nospam_ from email to respond.

Elizabeth

Mar 9, 2004, 10:32:55 AM3/9/04
dates, spelling... I have legacy which is obviously an american program. The
spell check for locations is only for America. Dates isnt a prob as it says
3 apr 1940 unlike american was of putting dates 4/3/1940 in Australia and i
presume England the date should be written as 3/4/1940. Liz

"michael kenefick" <kene...@copper.net> wrote in message

Don Moody

Mar 9, 2004, 12:22:53 PM3/9/04
In message <404DBBD6...@copper.net>, michael kenefick
<kene...@copper.net> writes

>Okay what exactly would be an Americanization of a computer program?

The color of the packaging, for a start?

Don
--
Dr D P Moody, Ashwood, Exeter Cross, Liverton, Newton Abbot, Devon,
England TQ12 6EY

Jim Pettit

Mar 11, 2004, 9:14:47 AM3/11/04
On 2004-03-09 10:32:55 -0500, "Elizabeth" <@@@@redcr...@bigpond.com> said:

> dates, spelling... I have legacy which is obviously an american program. The
> spell check for locations is only for America. Dates isnt a prob as it says
> 3 apr 1940 unlike american was of putting dates 4/3/1940 in Australia and i
> presume England the date should be written as 3/4/1940. Liz

Canada formally uses System International which is year.month.day e.g.
2004.03.11, though genealogists tend to use day, month in letters, year
as in 11 March 2004 to avoid confusion with the other systems. American
programs tend to Canadianize by giving us the British system which we
don't use rather than either of the two we do use.

May 19, 2004, 3:08:56 AM5/19/04
The familysearch web site www.familysearch.org has a section where you can
download free software. It is large, about 7Meg I think, but is really good
and very easy to use. You set up the "PAF" program and it works similar to
DBase and automatically saves your files. The program is universal, hence
you can easily send the PAF data files for others to look at. Hope this
helps. Cheers Ron
"SC" <scotti...@hottishmail.com> wrote in message

The General

Jun 18, 2004, 5:23:20 PM6/18/04
Don Moody wrote:
> In message <404DBBD6...@copper.net>, michael kenefick
> <kene...@copper.net> writes
>
>> Okay what exactly would be an Americanization of a computer program?
>

> The color of the packaging, for a start?
>
> Don
How does the color make it American??? Sorry I don't understand.

Mick Gurling

Jun 19, 2004, 7:21:27 PM6/19/04
Red stripes and white stars on blue
"The General" <thegene...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Rick J

Jun 19, 2004, 7:39:30 PM6/19/04

"Mick Gurling" <mi...@skyweb.net> wrote in message

bit obscure but I think attempt to be witty (color/colour)

Mick Gurling

Jun 20, 2004, 11:56:59 AM6/20/04

"Rick J" <aifo...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
To some extent but there is a strong tendency now, especially since 9-11,
for marketers to use the flag wherever they can get away with is to boost
sales. It's the American way!

--
Mick G CT-USA

Researching:

Gorbals: Bryan, McDonald

Hereford: James, South, Yarranton.

St Giles in the Fields: Barnett, Bryan, Gurling, Holland, Ing, Yarranton.

Southwark: Quinton, Richards.

Stafford/Salop Belliston, Boycott, Cleary, Yorke

E-Traveller

Jun 20, 2004, 1:31:24 PM6/20/04

"Mick Gurling" <mi...@skyweb.net> wrote in message
Perhaps I can shed a little light here. I live in Canada, but have traced
all my family lines back to the UK and Ireland. When I bought FTM maker
about 6 years ago it came with a dozed CD's of information. Almost every bit
of the information was so American it was useless to me. According to the
inbuilt Family Finder in FTM I have dozens of relatives in Tennessee and
Virginia. I don't. I tried subscribing to Genealogy.com, same American base.
My subscription lapsed after Genealogy was absorbed by Ancestry and was
automaticaly renewed against my instuctions. A few emails and phone calls
later I told them I would continue my subscription if I had access to the UK
databases, they declined becauseI lived in Canada and would have American
ancestors, so we parted company.

I certainly have no objection to the American content of any kind, but I
certainly resented being told where my ancestors should be.

Jim

John Zillwood

Jun 20, 2004, 9:41:50 PM6/20/04
"E-Traveller" <E-Tra...@shaw.ca> wrote in message

<SNIP>

> me. According to the inbuilt Family Finder in FTM I have dozens of
> relatives in Tennessee and Virginia. I don't. I tried subscribing to
> Genealogy.com, same American base. My subscription lapsed after
> Genealogy was absorbed by Ancestry and was automaticaly renewed
> against my instuctions. A few emails and phone calls later I told
> them I would continue my subscription if I had access to the UK
> databases, they declined becauseI lived in Canada and would have
> American ancestors, so we parted company.
>
> I certainly have no objection to the American content of any kind,
> but I certainly resented being told where my ancestors should be.

Well I guess that they must think that British Columbia is in the UK as they
certainly didn't refuse my money for a sub to the UK data :-) The bit about
them declining your request for a UK subscription because you live in Canada
makes no sense whatever. Possibly you spoke to an agent that didn't have a
clue. I would think that a Canadian would be just as, if not more, likely
to have British ancestors rather than from the USA. Besides, lots of them
have British ancestors also. Just doesn't make any sense!

--
John Zillwood jo...@zillwood.com
Abbotsford Genealogical Society

Mick Gurling

Jun 22, 2004, 6:56:17 AM6/22/04

"John Zillwood" <jo...@zillwood.com> wrote in message

> "E-Traveller" <E-Tra...@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> Well I guess that they must think that British Columbia is in the UK as
they
> certainly didn't refuse my money for a sub to the UK data :-) The bit
about
> them declining your request for a UK subscription because you live in
Canada
> makes no sense whatever. Possibly you spoke to an agent that didn't have
> clue. I would think that a Canadian would be just as, if not more, likely
> to have British ancestors rather than from the USA. Besides, lots of them
> have British ancestors also. Just doesn't make any sense!
>
> --
> John Zillwood jo...@zillwood.com
> Abbotsford Genealogical Society
> http://www.rootsweb.com/~bcags/

An agent that has no clue in a company that has no clue I found their
the same gata from other sources far cheaper.

Liz

Jul 31, 2004, 8:03:26 AM7/31/04
Unfortunately a lot of software seems to be Americani'z'ed (Americanised)

Examples:
+ software wants us to write dates as month/day/year when we write
day/month/year
+ software wants us to use "Letter" sized paper but we use A4
+ address fields allow only two letters for the state and we need to enter 3
+ telephone number fields are preformatted so we can't enter ours
+ we are required to misspell words - 'color' instead of 'colour' etc.
+ wonderful resources are included in software but they are useless because
they don't cater for the world (outside America)

As far as genealogy software is concerned: I use Personal Ancestral File
and I have no problems with it as it is totally configurable. However, I
also own other programmes and have many CDs containing American data which I
will never use.

Also: genealogy websites such as Ancestry.com and Rootsweb cater well for
America but it's a waste of time looking for Australian events there.

do others agree?

Geoff Pearson

Jul 31, 2004, 9:22:06 AM7/31/04

"Liz" <emha...@bigpond.com> wrote in message

I am reasonably certain that the standard English usage when I was a boy
was "Americanized" - I don't know when "ised" came in.

michael kenefick

Jul 31, 2004, 10:03:33 AM7/31/04
Dear Liz,

If you are really not going to use all those CDs you have. Send them to
me. They could have something for me to use. Mike

Liz wrote:

Wwftw

Jul 31, 2004, 7:45:06 PM7/31/04
I use Roots Magic you can choose your date format, has a English ver of the
spellcheck plus a user add section, address and phone fields are free form,
cost is reasonable good suport :-)
Cheers Jenny
--
Researching; HAWKINS, CROXON, BOWERMAN in Essex,
MINERS, BEHENNA, BARKLE, in Cornwall,

Mick Gurling

Aug 1, 2004, 9:53:32 PM8/1/04

> I am reasonably certain that the standard English usage when I was a boy
> was "Americanized" - I don't know when "ised" came in.

I'm reasonably certain that the toic of this group is Genealogy and nor
English Grammar So long as eople understand what your point is.....

Alun

Aug 2, 2004, 10:23:43 AM8/2/04
"Mick Gurling" <mi...@skyweb.net> wrote in news:DbOdnVLmEsGyA5DcRVn-
q...@skyweb.net:

>> I am reasonably certain that the standard English usage when I was a boy
>> was "Americanized" - I don't know when "ised" came in.
>>

> I'm reasonably certain that the toic of this group is Genealogy and nor
> English Grammar So long as eople understand what your point is.....

"ised" is almost universally used in the UK and "ized" in America. Merriam-
Webster (an American dictionary) recommends "ize" endings with words taken
from Greek, and "ise" if they came from Latin, but real world usage is more
like what I have described, i.e. uniform throughout the UK or the US. This
may be less a matter of time, but instead one of place.

Of course, I am not sure which is more common or accepted in Ireland, let
alone any other English speaking countries. I myself am an Englishman
living in America, whose Irish ancestors emigrated to England!

Of course, I don't think that it matters which spelling you use as long as
you are understood. They should be considered to be variants, not right and
wrong.

Geoff Pearson

Aug 2, 2004, 3:12:14 PM8/2/04

"Alun" <elek...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

I should have made clear that I am English, living in Britain for the
last 55 years - somewhere in that time the "z" changed to "s" - Jane
Austen uses "z" so "s" is the interloper. I am just intrigued that it
happened, and to know why. I write "s" today but remember writing "z".

Chris Dickinson

Aug 2, 2004, 4:50:19 PM8/2/04
Geoff Pearson wrote:

>I should have made clear that I am English, living in Britain for the
>last 55 years - somewhere in that time the "z" changed to "s" - Jane
>Austen uses "z" so "s" is the interloper. I am just intrigued that it
>happened, and to know why. I write "s" today but remember writing "z".

As 'Alun' commented, the usage of 's' and 'z' originally depended on whether
the word had a Latin or Greek ending; and our usage reflected that. Now that
very few people have a knowledge of two classical languages, maintaining
such an inconvenient distinction is an absurdity - and spelling has evolved
sensibly. Just a shame that Americans tend to prefer 'z' and we prefer 's'!

Like you, I've changed from 'z' to 's' over the years - makes things a damn
sight easier. Of course, when in a few generations time, the same thing
happens to English as happened to French, and the world speaks Cantonese or
Mandarin rather than English, such discussions will appear very irrelevant
:-)

Chris

Geoff Pearson

Aug 3, 2004, 3:26:17 PM8/3/04

"Chris Dickinson" <ch...@dickinson.uk.net> wrote in message

With all due respect to posters, I cannot believe the Greek/Latin split
is at all right. The Shorter Oxford Dictionary shows "realize" as the
main spelling with also "realise" from Real + ize after French
realiser. Realize is the true older English spelling. Why did we
change and when, in the last 50 years?

Sir Ernest Gowers "The Complete Plain Words" says:

Ise or Ize
On the question whether verbs like organise and nouns like organisation
should be spelt with an s or a z the authorities differ. The O.E.D.
favours universal ize, arguing that the suffix is always in its origin
either Greek or Latin and in both languages it is spelt with a z. So do
the University Presses of Oxford and Cambridge. Other authorities,
including some English printers, recommend universal ise. Fowler stands
between these two opinions. He points out that the O.E.D.'s advice
over-simplifies the problem, since there are some verbs (e.g. advertise,
comprise, despise, exercise and surmise) which are never spelt ize in
this country. On the other hand, he says "the difficulty of remembering
which these ise verbs are is the only reason for making ise universal,
and the sacrifice of significance to ease does not seem justified". This
austere conclusion will not commend itself to everyone. It does not do
so to the authors of the A.B.C. of English Usage, who say roundly, "the
advice given here is to end them all in ise", a verdict with which I
respectfully agree.

Alun

Aug 3, 2004, 11:24:12 PM8/3/04
"Geoff Pearson" <gspear...@hotmail.com> wrote in news:2na76oFu27aiU1
@uni-berlin.de:

Perhaps another point in favour of s is that the rune for z was borrowed to
represent x in English, with the rune for s doing double duty for the s and
z sounds. Hence, when switching to the Roman alphabet it would have been
transliterated as s irrespective of whether it represented s or z. Or am I
going too far back now?

Argyle

Aug 4, 2004, 10:36:08 AM8/4/04

On 3-Aug-2004, "Geoff Pearson" <gspear...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> ... Realize is the true older English spelling.

Are you telling us that we Yanks have been spelling it right all along? ;))

Is Mise Gan Ainm

Aug 4, 2004, 7:00:39 PM8/4/04
Just to change the subject discussion - when did are all
citizens of the U.S.A., become 'Yanks' - I thought that
colloquialism applied only to those from Connecticut?

"Argyle" <Arg...@nowhere.xxx> wrote in message

---
08/02/2004

Chris Dickinson

Aug 4, 2004, 9:33:45 PM8/4/04
Argyle wrote:

Just been looking at my Compact Edition of the OED and, if I've understood
it right, the common meaning of to 'realise' today is meaning 3 - 'to
understand or grasp clearly' - rather than the earlier meanings on
variations of 'to make real'. Of this newer meaning of the word, the OED
states:

'In early use chiefly American, and frequently condemned as such by English
writers about the middle of the 19th c.'

So it's rather an American word!

Chris

Steve Hayes

Aug 5, 2004, 1:56:16 AM8/5/04
On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 23:00:39 GMT, "Is Mise Gan Ainm" <nospa...@rogers.com>
wrote:

>Just to change the subject discussion - when did are all
>citizens of the U.S.A., become 'Yanks' - I thought that
>colloquialism applied only to those from Connecticut?

No, those are Yankees.

Yanks is generic US, and may even include Canadians.

--
Steve Hayes
E-mail: haye...@hotmail.com

Bob

Aug 5, 2004, 8:22:38 AM8/5/04
haye...@hotmail.com (Steve Hayes) wrote in message news:<4111b913....@news.saix.net>...

> On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 23:00:39 GMT, "Is Mise Gan Ainm" <nospa...@rogers.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Just to change the subject discussion - when did are all
> >citizens of the U.S.A., become 'Yanks' - I thought that
> >colloquialism applied only to those from Connecticut?
>
> No, those are Yankees.
>
> Yanks is generic US, and may even include Canadians.

Don't tell that to the Canadians.

Bob, Nowra, NSW

Mick Gurling

Aug 5, 2004, 10:46:56 AM8/5/04

"Is Mise Gan Ainm" <nospa...@rogers.com> wrote in message

> Just to change the subject discussion - when did are all
> citizens of the U.S.A., become 'Yanks' - I thought that
> colloquialism applied only to those from Connecticut?

Nope Yankees come from New England if you accept their version, though many
southerners will tell you anyone beyond about 20 miles north of their home.

New England is:
Connecticut, Massachisetts, Maine, New Hamshire, Rhode Island, Vermont.

--
Mick G CT-USA

Is Mise Gan Ainm

Aug 5, 2004, 12:10:28 PM8/5/04
Well, it certainly does NOT and never did include Canadians.

My old Webster's dict. gives one meaning for Yank and
Yankee : a native of New England.

My Oxford states 'Yank' - 'Yankee' : 1. Often derogative 2.
US inhabitant of New England or one of the northern states.
3 hist. a federal soldier in the civil war. 4. A type of bet
on four or more horses to win or be placed.
18th c.origin uncertain, perhaps from Dutch 'Yanke',
diminutive of 'Jan' (John) attested (17th c.) as a nickname.

"Steve Hayes" <haye...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

---

08/03/2004

Graeme Wall

Aug 4, 2004, 2:24:17 PM8/4/04
In message <l_2dnUuC77n...@adelphia.com>
"Argyle" <Arg...@nowhere.xxx> wrote:

A lot of so-called American spellings are actually old English, the
Victorians had a good go at standardising[1] and prettyfying(?) spelling.
See Bill Bryson on the subject.

What are abominations are the pitiful attempts to produce 'trendy' spellings
such as kozee, eezee, kewl and so-on. Those truly are crimes against
(English) humanity.

[1] Should that be standardizing?
--
Graeme Wall

My genealogy website:
<http://www.greywall.demon.co.uk/genealogy/index.html>

Alun

Aug 5, 2004, 4:58:43 PM8/5/04
"Is Mise Gan Ainm" <nospa...@rogers.com> wrote in news:UZsQc.1462313
$Ar.4...@twister01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com:

I would say that a Yankee is a New Englander if you are in another Northern
state, a Northerner if you are in the Southern US, and an American if you
are outside the US. I don't see how anyone ought to complain if it is used
in any of those ways, but I agree that Canadians have a right to be annoyed
if it's applied to them.

Argyle

Aug 5, 2004, 6:05:40 PM8/5/04

On 5-Aug-2004, Alun <elek...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I would say that a Yankee is a New Englander if you are in another
> Northern
> state, a Northerner if you are in the Southern US, and an American if you
> are outside the US. I don't see how anyone ought to complain if it is used
>
> in any of those ways, but I agree that Canadians have a right to be
> annoyed
> if it's applied to them.

I'm a Maine Yankee and proud of it! ;)

Steve Hayes

Aug 5, 2004, 9:33:24 PM8/5/04
On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 10:46:56 -0400, "Mick Gurling" <mi...@skyweb.net> wrote:

>"Is Mise Gan Ainm" <nospa...@rogers.com> wrote in message
>> Just to change the subject discussion - when did are all
>> citizens of the U.S.A., become 'Yanks' - I thought that
>> colloquialism applied only to those from Connecticut?
>
>Nope Yankees come from New England if you accept their version, though many
>southerners will tell you anyone beyond about 20 miles north of their home.

A bit like wogs in England. They come from south of the Trent if you live
north of it, and begin at Calais if you live south of it.

Steve Hayes

Aug 5, 2004, 9:33:23 PM8/5/04
On 5 Aug 2004 05:22:38 -0700, marr...@mailblocks.com (Bob) wrote:

>haye...@hotmail.com (Steve Hayes) wrote in message news:<4111b913....@news.saix.net>...

>> Yanks is generic US, and may even include Canadians.
>
>Don't tell that to the Canadians.

There was a Canadian at school with me.

We all knew he was Canadian, and we all called him "the Yank".

Skitt

Aug 5, 2004, 9:52:55 PM8/5/04
Steve Hayes wrote:
> (Bob) wrote:
>> (Steve Hayes) wrote:

>>> Yanks is generic US, and may even include Canadians.
>>
>> Don't tell that to the Canadians.
>
> There was a Canadian at school with me.
>
> We all knew he was Canadian, and we all called him "the Yank".

Aww, you were just yanking his chain.
--
Skitt (in Hayward, California)
www.geocities.com/opus731/

Mick Gurling

Aug 6, 2004, 1:32:59 AM8/6/04

> On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 10:46:56 -0400, "Mick Gurling" <mi...@skyweb.net> wrote:
> A bit like wogs in England. They come from south of the Trent if you live
> north of it, and begin at Calais if you live south of it.

and I ws alway raised in South London as believing 'WOG' meant 'Western
Oriental Gentleman' make what you will of that! <removes tongue from cheek>
BTW also from my South London roots England starts at the south coast and
ends at the Thames. anywhere else is abroad!
--
Mick G (Now in CT-USA)

Bob

Aug 6, 2004, 9:16:12 AM8/6/04
"Argyle" <Arg...@nowhere.xxx> wrote in message news:<FKudnRijkp2...@adelphia.com>...

In rhyming slang, septic tank.

Bob, Nowra, NSW.

Graeme Wall

Aug 5, 2004, 4:58:23 PM8/5/04
In message <rUdQc.613$HSN1...@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>

"Is Mise Gan Ainm" <nospa...@rogers.com> wrote:

> Just to change the subject discussion - when did are all
> citizens of the U.S.A., become 'Yanks' - I thought that
> colloquialism applied only to those from Connecticut?

Doesn't it apply to anyone born north of the Mason-Dixon line?

Graeme Wall

Aug 5, 2004, 4:59:25 PM8/5/04
In message <4111b913....@news.saix.net>
haye...@hotmail.com (Steve Hayes) wrote:

> On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 23:00:39 GMT, "Is Mise Gan Ainm"
> <nospa...@rogers.com> wrote:
>
> >Just to change the subject discussion - when did are all
> >citizens of the U.S.A., become 'Yanks' - I thought that
> >colloquialism applied only to those from Connecticut?
>
> No, those are Yankees.
>
> Yanks is generic US, and may even include Canadians.

Don't let a Canadian hear you say that, not if you value your goolies!

Bernie Quigley

Sep 24, 2004, 9:05:17 PM9/24/04
Canadians are not now nor have we ever been considered "YANKS" thank you
very much!!!!!!
We are called CANUCKS!

Bernie the Canuck
Halifax NS Can