BRODMANN; Worpswede, DEU > Savannah, GA,USA; 1890-

Peavy, John R SAS

Aug 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/2/99
BRODMANN; Worpswede, DEU > Savannah, GA,USA; 1890-

BRODMANN Worpswede DEU to Savannah GA USA 1890s

German Surnames: BRODMANN, SCHUENEMANN, BREMERMANN, SCHULTZE, BURDORF,
BLANCKE
Danish Surname: KOCHSIEK

Dear Researchers of German Surnames,

My name is Bob PEAVY - my wife is Nancy Lynn BRODMANN. I am seeking
historic information on the BRODMANN family.

My wife's great great grandparents were
Catherine ________ (*11.6.1844 Germany +20.1.1909 Savannah GA) and
Johann D. BRODMANN (+ between 1914-1918? in Germany)
of Worpswede Germany.

During the 1890's, six of their sons emigrated to Savannah GA USA.
Five of them (* in Worpswede Germany, + in Savannah GA USA):

John D. BRODMANN *14.7.1872 +26.3.1911

Otto Dietrich BRODMANN *25.12.1874 +15.1.1918

John Frederick William BRODMANN *2.9.1876 +11.3.1910

Heinrich "Harry" BRODMANN *4.6.1878 +1.7.1914 and

George BRODMANN *?.4.1880 +21.12.1938

settled in Savannah GA and became grocers - the elder three married (in
Savannah GA) women of the SCHUENEMANN - BREMERMANN family, which was
originally from Lichtenmoor & Nienberg Germany (the BRODMANN and SCHUENEMANN
families did not know each other in Germany). The fourth, "Harry" (my
wife's great grandfather) married (in Savannah GA) Mary Elizabeth SCHULTZE
(*29.11.1882 Bremerhaven? +9.5.1943 Savannah GA), whose immigration was
sponsored by the SCHUENEMANNs. I have received a reply from a SCHUENEMANN
family member in Germany (Mrs. Anneliese HEISE of Lichtenmoor 14, 31622
Heemsen) and one in Savannah (Robert SCHUENEMANN), and have some information
about that allied family. I can e-mail or fax that data to someone who is
interested in that family.

All of these immigrants were associated initially with Lutheran Church of
the Ascension, and some subsequently with the founding of St. Pauls Lutheran
Church and of Reformation Lutheran Church, all in Savannah GA.

A sixth son,
Frederick BRODMANN "Fritz" moved on to Jacksonville FL USA.

Two daughters,
Catherine G. A. BRODMANN "Tina" + after 1938, later Mrs. Frank C. VEDDER of
Miami FL, and
Helene Gesina BRODMANN "Lena," + after 1938, later Mrs. Lena ISAACSON, then
Mrs. Helena SLOAN of Miami FL,
accompanied their mother Catherine in immigrating to Savannah GA in about
1899.

A third daughter
Anna M. BRODMANN was Mrs Charles BALES (later Mrs. BEHR?) of Carstairs
Canada (she had a daughter, Minnie BALES *1899 Canada).

Yet another son remained in Germany and fought and died in World War I (he
is buried in a memorial cemetery near Worpswede). I do not know his name.
His daughter Frieda BRODMANN married Hugo KOCHSIEK from Denmark. As of
Christmas 1995-1996, Mr. KOCHSIEK was an elderly widower living at Imluck
#8, Worpswede, Germany 27726. I have written (alas, in English) long ago to
Mr. KOCHSIEK and his family, but I have received no reply.

One of the BRODMANN wives,
Miss Matilda Sophia E. M. SCHUENEMANN (m. Otto Diedrich BRODMANN) had a
(half?)sister,
Miss Mary BURDORF (*1883 Nerenberg +23.11.1909 Savannah GA) who was
survived by her father
Henry BURDORF and her brothers,
Henry BURDORF and
Fritz BURDORF in Germany.

If you have any information related to these BRODMANNs and their
family, we would appreciate hearing from you. Additionally, should you know
of anyone of Worpswede or the Lutheran Church in Worpswede who could lead us
to more information about the BRODMANN (and SCHULTZE & KOCHSIEK) roots in
Europe or the unknown descendants in Jacksonville FL, Miami FL, Canada,
Germany or elsewhere, please let us hear from you.

Perhaps from as early as the 1850's, members of the Lutheran Church
at Worpswede began to immigrate to Savannah GA. An old photograph which
someone has here in Savannah GA shows that the names inscribed on the pews
at the Worpswede church include (among others which are not readable):

Diedrich Stelljes, Joh. Grabau, J. Kuck, M. Kuck, J. Grabau, J. D. Papen, J.
Stelljes, I. H. Cordes, G. Kuck, J. D. Helmke, I. Reimen, H. Kopens, Fr.
Wellbrock, G. Papen, M. Stelljes, H. Gerken, Han. Kuck, H. Branies.

Many of these same surnames occur in Savannah GA from 1850 up to the present
time. Additionally, a stained glass window in the Worpswede church is
reported to be inscribed: "from friends in Savannah GA." I am not sure of
the identification of this church - possibilities include (my letter was
forwarded to the first in 1997, but I have received no reply):

Ev. Luth. Kirchengemeinde Worpswede, An der Kirche 1, 27726 Worpswede
Nordbz. Pfarramt Huettenbusch, Httenbuscher Str. 24, 27726 Worpswede
Pfarramt, Bauernreihe 84, 27726 Worpswede
SdBz. Pfarramt, Bergstr. 35, 27726 Worpswede

I realize that BRODMANN is also an Austrian name, and Swiss as well,
with no obvious links to the BRODMANNs of Worpswede. Additionally, there
were BRODMANN immigrations to the USA during 1844-1874 in TX, NY & IL.

I apologize that I must write this message in English only. Thank
you for this opportunity to learn some family history and to locate some
BRODMANN cousins (of whatever surname, in whatever locale).

May God Bless You and Your Families,

Bob (John Robert) PEAVY
Post Office Box 1519
Rincon GA 31326-1519 USA