Immigrant otto anton JIRANEK

Robert Jiranek

Feb 26, 2004, 4:48:45 PM2/26/04
Otto b. Sept 18, 1872. d. Jan.7, 1926 in Chicago. interred Graceland
Mausoleum, Grand Rapids, Michigan. Believed Otto immigrated from
Prague and arrived in NYC in 1890 to 1892 period. I am searching for
the names and places of Otto's parents and whether either of his
parents have links to Sulz au Neckar in Germany.

Joe Pessarra

Feb 26, 2004, 7:29:55 PM2/26/04
"Robert Jiranek" <rji...@adelphia.net> wrote in message

Found the following in the 1910 US census records:

Jiranek, Otto A., Age - 37, Male, White, From Austria, Michigan, Kent
County, 4-Ward, Grand Rapids.

Age and name looks right. Wife's name is Louise, Children, Leo, Helen and
Otto. Immigrated in 1894. Is this the right Jiranek?

Do not find Otto in the Ellis Island immigration listing. Bu.t do find some
Jiranek's from Austria. Are there any others that might be connected with
Otto?

Joe in Texas

erach

Feb 29, 2004, 11:21:05 AM2/29/04
Joe...

During that period of time it was the polish section of the country under
Austrian rule...must be the same guy from "Austria"

cordially....

edward...

Robert Jiranek

Feb 29, 2004, 8:37:39 PM2/29/04

From: "Joe Pessarra" <pess...@cox-internet.com>
To: "Robert Jiranek" <rji...@adelphia.net>
Subject: Re: Immigrant otto anton JIRANEK
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 16:27:14 -0600

Robert,

Here is a post on the Ancestry.com message board.

Submitter: Dorothy Heald

Subject: Re: HENRY T HEALD & ANNAH RINDGE M 1905 (MICH)

Message: Henry Thomas Heald, Atty. b.25 Mar 1876 Montague, MI, m. 12
Feb 1906 Grand Rapids, Kent Co., MI , d.8 Jan1938 Grand Rapids, Kent
Co. MI. Son of Joseph Heald and Harriet Woodhams. His lineage is John,
John, John, Timothy, Timothy,Timothy,Joseph, Joseph 8, Henry Thomas
Heald 9. He lived at 55 Barclay in 1907, 538 Madison SE in 1918 in
Grand Rapids, MI. Jemru doed va;vi;ar jeart dosease amd Anna died
rheumatic heart disease and stroke. Henry wa educated at University of
MI. Anna A. Rindge (dau of Lester J. Rindge and Alice J. Cook) b.15
June 1879 Grand Rapids, Kent Co., MI, d.22 Apr 1964 in Grand Rapids,
Kent Co., MI. Both are buried in Oak Hill Cemetary, Grand Rapids, MI
Their children : 1. Alice R Heald b.18 Dec 1907 Grand Rapids, MI, m.
1st Leo A, Jiranek, son of Otto Jiranek and Louise Mebold, Alice m.
2nd Stuart N. Updike. I have no children for her. 2. Eleanor Heald b.
16 Apr 1916 Grand Rapids, Kent Co., MI, m Gordon Lloyd. I have obit
for Anna if you would like it. Dorothy Heald

These look like relatives. You may know about them, and know that
they don't have any more information that you do, but thought I would
send it to you anyhow.

Joe

From: "Joe Pessarra" <pess...@cox-internet.com>
To: "Robert Jiranek" <rji...@adelphia.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 16:27:14 -0600

Robert,

Here is a post on the Ancestry.com message board.

Submitter: Dorothy Heald

Message: Henry Thomas Heald, Atty. b.25 Mar 1876 Montague, MI, m. 12
Feb 1906 Grand Rapids, Kent Co., MI , d.8 Jan1938 Grand Rapids, Kent
Co. MI. Son of Joseph Heald and Harriet Woodhams. His lineage is John,
John, John, Timothy, Timothy,Timothy,Joseph, Joseph 8, Henry Thomas
Heald 9. He lived at 55 Barclay in 1907, 538 Madison SE in 1918 in
Grand Rapids, MI. Jemru doed va;vi;ar jeart dosease amd Anna died
rheumatic heart disease and stroke. Henry wa educated at University of
MI. Anna A. Rindge (dau of Lester J. Rindge and Alice J. Cook) b.15
June 1879 Grand Rapids, Kent Co., MI, d.22 Apr 1964 in Grand Rapids,
Kent Co., MI. Both are buried in Oak Hill Cemetary, Grand Rapids, MI
Their children : 1. Alice R Heald b.18 Dec 1907 Grand Rapids, MI, m.
1st Leo A, Jiranek, son of Otto Jiranek and Louise Mebold, Alice m.
2nd Stuart N. Updike. I have no children for her. 2. Eleanor Heald b.
16 Apr 1916 Grand Rapids, Kent Co., MI, m Gordon Lloyd. I have obit
for Anna if you would like it. Dorothy Heald

These look like relatives. You may know about them, and know that
they don't have any more information that you do, but thought I would
send it to you anyhow.

Joe

> Otto?
>
> Joe in Texas

Robert Jiranek

Feb 29, 2004, 8:47:04 PM2/29/04

From: "Joe Pessarra" <pess...@cox-internet.com>

Dear Joe

My father was Leo Jiranek and my mother was Alice Heald. My children
and I are up to speed on the family in the US. The information we
seek is the place in Austria where Otto Anton JIRANEK was born in 1872
and the name of his parents. I am trying very hard to develop ways to
search these answers. I have the clue my grandfather was born a
catholic, and around the age of 18 Otto was involved in a military
training school. I am awaiting the possible receipt of the marriage
certificate for my grandparents which may list the place of birth of
my grandfather. I have complete geneaological information on my
grandmother who was the daughter of her MEBOLD father and her LINDEL
mother. the families of both parents came from Sulz on the Neckar
River in Germany. No additional clues have developed so far from
searches of US immigration or ship arrival lists shown on Ancestry.
com or Ellis Island records.

Do you or anyone have any ideas about conducting a search in the still
existing Austrian records of 1872 for catholic church, birth or
military school records?

Bob

Guard...@aol.com

Mar 1, 2004, 7:33:23 AM3/1/04
Hello Joe

>>>The information we seek is the place in Austria where Otto Anton JIRANEK
was born in 1872 and the name of his parents. I am trying very hard to develop
ways to
search these answers.>>>

this is the same hurdle that everyone with European ancestry faces -- and in
the absence of contact with current family members overseas, everyone has to
research and obtain ALL USA documentation relating to the family in their
attempts to find the birth LOCATION of the "first immigrant(s)". One cannot search
"Austrian" records -- one needs to know the specific PARISH (village name),
and then research the specific church recordbooks for it.

You may wish to read some guidance (from online sources) on *HOW TO* research
Austrian ancestry -- these internet sites can be located with any search
engine -- I like to use www.google.com. The internet is loaded with information
on *HOW TO* conduct family history research -- including all the basic,
necessary things people must do with records here in the USA prior to jumping
overseas. Or, local libraries and bookstores have many many books on the topic of
*how to* research as well.

AUSTRIA was a much larger place in 1872, and the village today could be in
current Austria proper, or be in Hungary, Croatia, Slovakia, Czech Republic and
more -- you would know more of the likelihood of this based on family oral
history and traditions. Many of the church record books for these countries have
been filmed by the LDS (and are thus researched by renting them, and then
viewing them at a local Family History Library), BUT, Catholic church records for
current Austria have not been filmed. Researching these requires hiring a
local genealogist, or visiting the archives and reading the books yourself.
Some archives will answer individual queries as well, but not all. But, first
you have to know the **village name** (and then determine which archives holds
the records).

So to identify the exact village, one has to seek documentation from here in
the USA that contains the birth location information (unless one can make
contact with another relative who may have already documented the family history,
or have a family Bible for instance with the info), and it is unfortunately
still true, that the majority of that information IS NOT in an online computer
database. The following data/information is normally obtained when doing
family history research prior to trying to jump over the pond -- and collected on
siblings of the immigrant as well, because they *may* contain the place of
birth.

marriage license application (not a certificate of marriage as you mention
you're waiting for -- for siblings as well)
church record of the marriage
birth records for any children
social security SS#5 form application (filed after 1933)
naturalization/citizenship papers (Declaration of Intent, or Petition for
Naturalization
obituaries - always in local newspapers
death certificates
probate records (at county court where person died)
immigration records - the immigrant passenger arrival records -- available
from NARA which has them on microfilm, as there were ports other than Port of
New York (Ellis Island 1892-1924) where people from Central Europe were arriving
-- primarily Baltimore, Phila. at that time. Soundexes are available to
research these in your likely timeframe.
sometimes also - land records, local tax records, voter registration records

Obtaining these records requires contacting local gov't agencies (for birth,
death info etc.), local historical societies and libraries with historical
newspaper collections, local courts (for probate records), looking at NARA
passenger arrival films (at your local FHL since LDS has ALL the films, NARA
regional office, or library even), and the courts (state, county, federal) where some
part of a naturalization proceeding may have occurred. The trick in
genealogy is NOT the persons name, but is in researching the RECORDS attached to a
LOCATION which documents an event in the person's life. ALL documentation is
obtained by identifying a location where a documented event occurred, and then
determining what records exist and can be obtained from that location.

This is where the Internet is the most powerful tool to come along for doing
this. The information on where records are, how to obtain them, how to
research historical documentation etc. is overwhelming. A search engine will reveal
these 99.9% of the time.

Much success -- I think you'll find the birth location you seek.

Regards
Linda

lvlong...@gmail.com

Nov 30, 2017, 11:49:55 PM11/30/17
Hi Bob,
I read through this and see that you are the son of Alice Heald. We recently purchased a home in Grand Rapids and the original blueprints show the name of Mrs. Henry Heald. I belive your grandmother? I would love to know hear any history of this great old house or the family that lived here.
Thanks
Laura