Croatian genealogists

dobra vila

Feb 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/8/99
I have a proposal. Could those from Croatia who are doing genealogy research
on their ancestors here send a post to the group so we get to know each
other and help when needed. Or if that is not convenient to you just drop me
an email so I can contact you. Sometimes I feel I am the only one from
Croatia who has suscribed to this group. Correct me if I am wrong. Thank you
all, Ratimira Simundic

SYamtich

Feb 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/8/99
I am looking for Jamicic and Prpic from Gospic, Croatia, Novina from Karlovac,
and Katunich. All came to the USA in the early 1900s.

Sue Yamtich

Jim Radja

Feb 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/8/99
to dobra vila
Hello from America.
My name is James Radja. My mother, Draga Marasovic, was born in Split
(1903)
and my father, Jakov, was born in Orgorje Donje (1896) (abour 60km from
Split). Both emmigrated to the US in the early part of this century. I
was born
in Chicago, now living in Virginia. Have been to Croatia twice in the
past three years.
I call those trips "genealogic expeditions". Was able to fill in a
lot of
unknowns and meet a lot of relatives. Located Marasovic Ulitza in Split
but not any Marasovic relatives.

Look forward to hearing more from Croatian genealogists. Am especially
interested in how to go about finding records of my father's military
service in WWI with the Austro-Hungarian army.

Jim Radja

Petar Kolakovic

Feb 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/9/99
In article <79mmbk$p0t$2...@bagan.srce.hr>, symp...@zea.cc.fer.hr (dobra
vila) wrote:

> I have a proposal. Could those from Croatia who are doing genealogy research
> on their ancestors here send a post to the group so we get to know each
> other and help when needed. Or if that is not convenient to you just drop me
> an email so I can contact you. Sometimes I feel I am the only one from
> Croatia who has suscribed to this group. Correct me if I am wrong. Thank you
> all, Ratimira Simundic
>
> --

Good idea. I was born in Toronto, Canada, but I've been to Croatia twice
and have plenty of family there (both my parents were born there).

I'm happy to provide any assistance, and would particularly like to hear
from anyone with the same surnames as myself (paternal=Kolakovic, from
Otocac in Lika, maternal=Sunjic, from Ljubuski in Hercegovina).

Cheers,
Petar

_\ _\ _\ _\ _\
_\ _\ _\ _\ Petar Kolakovic
_\ _\ _\ _\ _\ petar.k...@utoronto.ca
_\ _\ _\
_\ _\ _\
_\ _\ _\

Confucius say, He who sink into woman's arms
soon find arms in woman's sink

Perast

Feb 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/9/99
>Am especially
>interested in how to go about finding records of my father's military
>service in WWI with the Austro-Hungarian army.

I think I saw something on this on the WWW and the LDS library(mormon). They
have microfilmed the Austrian Kriegs archive which supposedly has quite a bit
of information on just what you are looking for.

If you have a search engine on the WWW you might use the words Croatian and
genealogy. Good luck.

Marie-Claude Tokic

Feb 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/9/99
Dobar Dan

I am still looking for any TOKIC in Canada or US, coming from Donji Muc,
Province of Split, Croatia.
My husband's name is Mirko TOKIC, born 22/06/1941, he had 4 brothers
Juro, Mato, Ante, Martin and Jakov and 1 sister Ivka.
His father's name was Ivan TOKIC born 1902 and mother's Andja Kuko born
1901.
My research would also be centralized on KUKO as much as TOKIC.
Andja KUKO died in 1945 and when Ivan remarried, he threw away
everything that belonged to his wife. My husband does not remember his
mother as he has not one picture of her.

Any information is welcome.
Thanks.
@}-}-
--
Marie-Claude
Mitakuye oyasin (We are all related)

dobra vila

Feb 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/9/99

: vila) wrote:
:
: > I have a proposal. Could those from Croatia who are doing genealogy research
: > on their ancestors here send a post to the group so we get to know each
: > other and help when needed. Or if that is not convenient to you just drop me
: > an email so I can contact you. Sometimes I feel I am the only one from
: > Croatia who has suscribed to this group. Correct me if I am wrong. Thank you
: > all, Ratimira Simundic
:
: Good idea. I was born in Toronto, Canada, but I've been to Croatia twice

: and have plenty of family there (both my parents were born there).
:
: I'm happy to provide any assistance, and would particularly like to hear
: from anyone with the same surnames as myself (paternal=Kolakovic, from
: Otocac in Lika, maternal=Sunjic, from Ljubuski in Hercegovina).

It seems I was not clear enough. At first I expected those from Croatia who
are actually living in Croatia to get in touch with me. But now I realize
it's really a good idea to know how many people here are doing genealogy
research on croatian origins.

Right now I am very busy doing my master's thesis in electrical engineering
and do not have any time for my own research; therefore, I cannot be of much
help until May. But I will continue in May where I left off in October. But
will follow the group and help where I can.

Bye all, Ratimira (my name means War and Peace in Croatian)

dobra vila

Feb 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/9/99

Marie-Claude Tokic (mcb....@ns.sympatico.ca) wrote:
: Dobar Dan

:
: I am still looking for any TOKIC in Canada or US, coming from Donji Muc,
: Province of Split, Croatia.
: My husband's name is Mirko TOKIC, born 22/06/1941, he had 4 brothers
: Juro, Mato, Ante, Martin and Jakov and 1 sister Ivka.
: His father's name was Ivan TOKIC born 1902 and mother's Andja Kuko born
: 1901.
: My research would also be centralized on KUKO as much as TOKIC.
: Andja KUKO died in 1945 and when Ivan remarried, he threw away
: everything that belonged to his wife. My husband does not remember his
: mother as he has not one picture of her.

Marie!
Look, there is one thing that happened. The post delivery guy in Split where
I stayed last four months misplaced one registered letter for me. He is from
Donji Muc and he owes me a favour now. I plan to ask him in March to go to
the priest and get it for you; otherwise, I will charge him for losing my
mail. So, be patient at least a bit more and you'll get your birth
certificates like I promised. I was just too busy and did not have any time
to go there. When I called the priest he was not there, and there was no
answering machine. See ya Marie, Ratimira

Marie-Claude Tokic

Feb 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/9/99
Hello Ratimira,

I never thought you had forgotten us, believe me I know how long and
difficult it is to go from one ancestor to another and at least I get
the birth certificates, but in the case of Mirko, it is much more
difficult so please do not worry. I have patience.

We also had Christmas and New Year, so please don't feel pressured. I am
really thankful that you are doing something for us in the first place.

I also think it is good to post the same message from time to time just
for the new people.

BTW, where do you do the research for documents, how would you find old
neighbours and addresses, old newspapers from 1945. I am asking these
questions just in case Mirko might go to Croatia on vacation this
summer, he could do some research himself. Is there a website that would
give all this information?

Many thanks for your help, it is really appreciated.

@}-}-
--
Marie-Claude
Mitakuye oyasin (We are all related)
Adhérente nº 2047 au CGHHML (Haute-Vienne/Limousin)
Adhérente nº 1229 au CGV

Petar Kolakovic

Feb 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/10/99
In article <79pjr4$6cl$1...@bagan.srce.hr>, symp...@zea.cc.fer.hr (dobra
vila) wrote:

> It seems I was not clear enough. At first I expected those from Croatia who
> are actually living in Croatia to get in touch with me. But now I realize

I think you're the only one here :-)

Katie Bailey

Feb 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/10/99
My great-grandfather Jan (Ivan) Dolansky born Dec 12,1884 son of Frank
Dolanski and Marije Libera came to America in 1906 from Koncanica near
Daruvar. He had at least one brother Matej and one sister Marije.

Im trying to locate any info on his family and any possible living relations
still in Croatia.

dobra vila wrote in message <79mmbk$p0t$2...@bagan.srce.hr>...

>I have a proposal. Could those from Croatia who are doing genealogy
research
>on their ancestors here send a post to the group so we get to know each
>other and help when needed. Or if that is not convenient to you just drop
me
>an email so I can contact you. Sometimes I feel I am the only one from
>Croatia who has suscribed to this group. Correct me if I am wrong. Thank
you
>all, Ratimira Simundic

dobra vila

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99

Marie-Claude Tokic (mcb....@ns.sympatico.ca) wrote:
: BTW, where do you do the research for documents, how would you find old

: neighbours and addresses, old newspapers from 1945. I am asking these
: questions just in case Mirko might go to Croatia on vacation this
: summer, he could do some research himself. Is there a website that would
: give all this information?

Dear Marie!
We have Croatian National and University library in Zagreb that keeps all
the newspapers from last 100 years I suppose. All publishers in Croatia are
obliged to give a sample or more (up to 10) of every book or newspaper or
magazine they print. They have a computer database that you can search while
in the building. There is a link
http://www.nsk.hr
but it is in Croatian only and it's being done still. NOt much help, sorry.
If Mirko is planning to come I can be of assistance to him because I know
how the system works. There is also the State Archive in Zagreb and several
other towns in Croatia where he can check the census records. Since we are
talking about Muc, Zadar in Dalmatia has the oldest records up to 1800. I
should check the exact dates. I must go now. Hope this is of any help. Bye,
Ratimira

Marie-Claude Tokic

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99
Hi Ratimira,

Thank you very much for all the info. I really got excited about the
newspapers because if Mirko can find the obituaries of his mother, then
he probably can find names of her relatives. It's like a big closed door
that suddenly opens.

We will let you know about the trip to Croatia. We are going to France
for sure around July-August 1999.

Thanks again,

@}-}-
--
Marie-Claude
Mitakuye oyasin (We are all related)

Adhérente CGHHML nº 2047 (Haute-Vienne) & CGV nº 1229

Ann Avery Hunter

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99
Petar Kolakovic wrote:

> It seems I was not clear enough. At first I expected those from Croatia who
> are actually living in Croatia to get in touch with me. But now I realize

> it's really a good idea to know how many people here are doing genealogy
> research on croatian origins.

I have no Croatian ancestry but am interested in tracing that of my
son-in-law. His great-grandfather, Tomas JAKOVAC, came to Pittsburgh,
PA about 1907 from Tusti Vrh (near Skrad). Tomas was born in 1893,
the son of Luka JAKOVAC and his wife Maria KLUBACHER (this was the
spelling on Tomas's Social Security application). His brothers
Vincent and Jacob also came to the US, as well as a sister Mary MANCE.
A sister Frances remained in Croatia and married a SPORCIC, and her two
sons Stephen and Edward SPORCIC came to Pittsburgh as adults. A brother
John JAKOVAC also remained in Croatia.

Ann
--
Ann Avery Hunter
Richmond, Virginia

JOHN N. IVANCICH

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99
hi, my name is john ivancich . i live in washington state.

dobra vila wrote in message <79pjr4$6cl$1...@bagan.srce.hr>...

>Petar Kolakovic (petar.k...@nospam.utoronto.ca) wrote:
>: In article <79mmbk$p0t$2...@bagan.srce.hr>, symp...@zea.cc.fer.hr (dobra
>: vila) wrote:
>:
>: > I have a proposal. Could those from Croatia who are doing genealogy

research
>: > on their ancestors here send a post to the group so we get to know each
>: > other and help when needed. Or if that is not convenient to you just
drop me
>: > an email so I can contact you. Sometimes I feel I am the only one from
>: > Croatia who has suscribed to this group. Correct me if I am wrong.
Thank you
>: > all, Ratimira Simundic

>:

>: Good idea. I was born in Toronto, Canada, but I've been to Croatia twice
>: and have plenty of family there (both my parents were born there).
>:
>: I'm happy to provide any assistance, and would particularly like to hear
>: from anyone with the same surnames as myself (paternal=Kolakovic, from
>: Otocac in Lika, maternal=Sunjic, from Ljubuski in Hercegovina).
>

>It seems I was not clear enough. At first I expected those from Croatia who
>are actually living in Croatia to get in touch with me. But now I realize
>it's really a good idea to know how many people here are doing genealogy
>research on croatian origins.

Dpesa

Feb 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/13/99
Hello,
My name is Deborah Pesa and my grandfather was born in Croatia. His name
was Sime PESA and he was born in Zaton, near Zadar (I've been told there are
few towns called Zaton). He was born in 1899 and came to the US as a stowaway
in the 20s. He worked here as a longshoreman. His sister, Danica, is still
alive and living in Zaton. The PEROS surname intersects with my family often.
So if anyone out there is research either name give me a shout.
Deborah Pesa - New York City
Is teann gach madra gearr i ndoras a thi fein - Irish proverb
LET A JACK RUSSELL DIG ITS WAY INTO YOUR HEART

to return e-mail remove "banana" from the address above

Muglich

Feb 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/16/99

I'm researching my husband's family as follows:

Descendants of Stanisalus Maglic

1 Maglic, Stanisalus b: Abt. 1843 in Cetin Grad,
Croatia d: 7/13/1916 in Cleveland, OH
.. +Medved, Magdalena b: Abt. 1872

... 2 Maglic, Unknown
... 2 Maglic, Francis, Sr. b: 1892 in Cetin Grad,
Croatia d: 6/29/1965 in Cleveland, OH
....... +Mravunac, Johanna Father: Mravunac, Michael
Mother: Jurcevic, Anna b: 1890 in Grabarska Valisek, Hungary m: 6/27/1930 in
Cleveland, OH d: 4/26/1960 in Cleveland, OH
........ 3 Maglic, Marian d: Bef.
1990
............ +Shammon, Husband

........ 3 Maglic, Zora d: Bef.
1965
............ +Chiller, Husband

........ 3 Maglic, Stephan b: 7/22/1914 in
Cleveland, OH d: 1/04/1989 in Cleveland, OH
........ 3 Maglic, Francis, Jr. b: 11/05/1916
in Cleveland, OH d: 6/03/1986 in Cleveland, OH
............ +Sacher, Anna C. Father: Sacher, Robert Mother:
Zika, Carrie, Karoline Zika b: 8/21/1921 in Cleveland, OH d:
7/01/1993 in Cleveland, OH
........ 3 Maglic, George b: 7/12/1919

........ 3 Maglic, Anne M. b: 8/06/1925 in
Cleveland, OH d: 7/08/1990 in Cleveland, OH
............ +Hause, Clarence Edward
m: 6/26/1954 in Augsberg, Germany

If anyone would have any information, I would love to hear from you. Thanks.

Susan

lovcr...@aol.com

Feb 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/19/99
In article <79mmbk$p0t$2...@bagan.srce.hr>,
symp...@zea.cc.fer.hr (dobra vila) wrote:
> I have a proposal. Could those from Croatia who are doing genealogy research
> on their ancestors here send a post to the group so we get to know each
> other and help when needed. Or if that is not convenient to you just drop me
> an email so I can contact you. Sometimes I feel I am the only one from
> Croatia who has suscribed to this group. Correct me if I am wrong. Thank you
> all, Ratimira Simundic
>
> --

Hello,
I was born in Zagreb, Croatia but I don't know how to get started with
genealogy.

Tammy Brinkman
http://www.circleweb.com

luka.rad...@gmail.com

Sep 14, 2013, 6:01:32 AM9/14/13
Dana ponedjeljak, 8. veljače 1999. 09:00:00 UTC+1, korisnik dobra vila napisao je:
> I have a proposal. Could those from Croatia who are doing genealogy research
> on their ancestors here send a post to the group so we get to know each
> other and help when needed. Or if that is not convenient to you just drop me
> an email so I can contact you. Sometimes I feel I am the only one from
> Croatia who has suscribed to this group. Correct me if I am wrong. Thank you
> all, Ratimira Simundic
>
> --

Dear Jim is there any chance that www.jimradja.com would be repaired? Sincerely p. Luka Radja

Ivan Tokic

Dec 28, 2014, 11:47:39 PM12/28/14
Dana utorak, 9. veljače 1999. 01:00:00 UTC-7, korisnik Marie-Claude Tokic napisao je:
> Dobar Dan
>
> I am still looking for any TOKIC in Canada or US, coming from Donji Muc,
> Province of Split, Croatia.
> My husband's name is Mirko TOKIC, born 22/06/1941, he had 4 brothers
> Juro, Mato, Ante, Martin and Jakov and 1 sister Ivka.
> His father's name was Ivan TOKIC born 1902 and mother's Andja Kuko born
> 1901.
> My research would also be centralized on KUKO as much as TOKIC.
> Andja KUKO died in 1945 and when Ivan remarried, he threw away
> everything that belonged to his wife. My husband does not remember his
> mother as he has not one picture of her.
>
> Any information is welcome.
> Thanks.

l can help you if you need help anymore. l'm Tokic from Muc Donji.

gsti...@gmail.com

Apr 25, 2018, 2:00:48 AM4/25/18
Hello my grandfathers name is Ante Tokic. And he is from muc

gjch...@gmail.com

Jan 5, 2019, 2:36:01 PM1/5/19
Dear Ms. Hunter—

I was recently researching the surname Jakovac (my maiden name) and ran across your post from nine years ago. You may or may not still be trying to trace your son-in-law’s Jakovac roots, but if you are, I can volunteer a bit of additional information.

Tomas Jakovac was my grandfather. I know that he was one of eight children who were born and raised in the village of Tusti Vhr (“Fat Hill”) in the Gorski Kotar mountain range of what is now Croatia. Tomas and his three elder siblings immigrated separately to the United States in the early 20th century, starting with Vincent, the eldest. Each of them worked in turn to send money back to what my grandfather always called “the old country” for the next younger one to follow. World War I intervened before the four youngest could immigrate.

Thanks to the research of one of my first cousins, I was able to make contact with Vladimir Jakovac, the grandson of one of the four siblings who remained. Vlado is a retired businessman, formerly head of sales and marketing for a publicly traded company in Slovenia, and in 2012 he and his dear wife Slavica invited our family to visit them at their lovely home in Rijeka, Croatia, at the head of the Adriatic. While we were there Vlado and Slavica took us to Tusti Vhr, a tiny village consisting of no more than a half a dozen homes (most of them still owned by members of our extended family), where we were able to go inside the three-room cottage where our great-grand parents raised their eight children. Thanks to Vlado, we also met numerous cousins while we were in Croatia and were astounded by the family resemblance.

Unfortunately, Vlado did not know a great deal more about our family’s roots before our greatgrandparents settled in Tusti Vhr, and I have not been able to learn more myself. If you have further information, I would love to hear it, and I will be happy to share contact information with my cousin Vlado, assuming of course, he agrees.

Sincerely,
Gloria Cheatham
Atlanta