Problem with French baptismal

croc...@wt.net

Feb 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/8/97

In many of the baptismals I have a record of, it has endoye, or
endoyee in there. Example: Gabriel April 20 1737, a small Indian
belonging to Mr. Le Brun, habitant, endoye in 1736 when ill.
Godparents: Gabriel Buart, soldier and Marie Anne Rousseau.

Or: Margueritte August 17, 1735 baptism of Marguarite, age 4, and
endoyee at three months of age. Godparents: Pierre de la Tour,
officer and Dame Emmanuele Snaches de Navarre.

What exactly does endoye mean?

Tracy

Raymond Gallant

Feb 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/9/97
to croc...@wt.net
"ondoye" means that the baby was Baptised by a civilian not a priest.

Ray.

Dwight Kilpatrick

Feb 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/10/97

Raymond Gallant <gal...@videotron.ca> wrote:

Actually your answer is in your first example "when ill", it refers to
the Washing away of sin, (extreme unction) that can and is given any
catholic who is near death.
It may be performed by a priest or civilian, but is not considered to
be an actual baptism (God parents/parain/marain are not usually
present).
It is however, still considered an actual ceremony.

Dwight

Hubert Barnich

Feb 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/16/97

Hi all,

In a message of <Sat 8 Feb 97 22:39> to All (), you wrote:

> In many of the baptismals I have a record of, it has endoye, or
> endoyee in there. Example: Gabriel April 20 1737, a small Indian
> belonging to Mr. Le Brun, habitant, endoye in 1736 when ill.
> Godparents: Gabriel Buart, soldier and Marie Anne Rousseau.

> Or: Margueritte August 17, 1735 baptism of Marguarite, age 4, and
> endoyee at three months of age. Godparents: Pierre de la Tour,
> officer and Dame Emmanuele Snaches de Navarre.

> What exactly does endoye mean?

ONDOYE, from "Onde", water.
A kind of baptism performed in risk of death, or sometimes,
when the intended godfather or Godmother were not present

> Tracy
> -=- TossInt 0.96
> + Origin: Pluggy Publishin (2:293/2602)

Bye, Hubert.

James Mestry

Jun 14, 2021, 1:43:02 AM6/14/21
Thank you all for your explanations of the word endoyee, which definitely makes sense in the context below where the child (my great-aunt) was in hospital, probably diagnosed with a life-threatening condition. Indeed she must have subsequently passed away as nobody in the family knew of her existence.

Acte de naissance/baptême
Commune : DPL Cathédrale Saint Louis
Département / Province : Diocèse de Port-Louis
Nouveau-né :
Nom de l'enfant : BAXY Marie Irène
Date de l'acte : 03/08/1902
Sexe : Féminin
Commentaire : Agée de 2 mois, endoyée a L'hopital Civil le 02/08/1902
Parents :
Nom du père : BAXY Julius
Nom de la mère : VIGOUREUX Marie Antoinette
Témoins :
Nom du parrain : PAUL Hippolyte
Nom de la marraine : SÉBLIN Aimée
Références :
Commentaire général : PICT No. 0162
Acte No. 160
Photographe: Serge L'Ecluse
Dep. par Cyril Le Guen pour le CGMR
Données consultables gratuitement avec l'aimable autorisation du Diocèse de Port-Louis
Cote : Cathédrale Saint Louis
Libre : Diocèse de Port-Louis
Crédits :
Transcripteur :
Déposant : CGMR ADMINISTRATOR
Trouvé une erreur ? : Cliquez ici pour la signaler