Closing of Rootsweb genealogy mailing lists

Steve Hayes

Jan 10, 2020, 9:18:38 PM1/10/20
I searched in vain for a public announcement or news report about the
closure of the Rootsweb genealogy mailing lists. It is being done
almost secretively. Members of lists without active moderators who
pass on the information will find themselves cut off without knowing
why.

I've therefore written a blog post, giving as much information as I
have at the moment, to try to let people know what is happening.

https://t.co/8Bhy5ya5AQ

Please help to let people know what is happening by posting links to
that post (and any news items you may find) on social media sites,
genealogy forums etc.

--
Steve Hayes
Web: http://hayesgreene.wordpress.com/

Ian Goddard

Jan 11, 2020, 6:25:38 AM1/11/20
On 11/01/20 02:23, Steve Hayes wrote:
> I searched in vain for a public announcement or news report about the
> closure of the Rootsweb genealogy mailing lists. It is being done
> almost secretively. Members of lists without active moderators who
> pass on the information will find themselves cut off without knowing
> why.
>
> I've therefore written a blog post, giving as much information as I
> have at the moment, to try to let people know what is happening.
>
> https://t.co/8Bhy5ya5AQ
>
> Please help to let people know what is happening by posting links to
> that post (and any news items you may find) on social media sites,
> genealogy forums etc.

I saw this post not on an an email list but on a Usenet group, in fact
on a whole series of groups.

Perhaps it's time to remind the denizens of email groups yet again of
the value of newsgroups, in particular, of the absence of a single point
of failure in the form of a list management site such as Yahoo or Rootsweb.

If you read email via Thunderbird or Seamonkey, and maybe others, you
already have all the software you need to use newsgroups. Otherwise
search for newsgroup or usenet clients.

You will need to find a server which provides news feeds. Some ISPs
provide this, mine does. There are also sites such as individual.net
that provide the service at modest cost (and when a Yorkshireman says
it's a modest cost it really is!). Sign up for a service, put the
server access credentials into your client, select your group(s) and
watch the client fill up with headers of the past few months' posts.

Sometimes the old ways are the bast.

As regards the mention of groups.io the integrations they mention on
their site conspicuously lack mention of a usenet gateway. If they
don't include that then moving the email lists to them would fragment
genealogical communities which have previously been held together by the
old gateway.

Ian

Steve Hayes

Jan 11, 2020, 1:27:52 PM1/11/20
fOn Sat, 11 Jan 2020 11:25:37 +0000, Ian Goddard
<godd...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

>As regards the mention of groups.io the integrations they mention on
>their site conspicuously lack mention of a usenet gateway. If they
>don't include that then moving the email lists to them would fragment
>genealogical communities which have previously been held together by the
>old gateway.

Indeed, but the old gateway is closing anyway with the demuise of
Rootsweb.

--
Keep well,

Steve Hayes
http://people.tribe.net/hayesstw

Ian Goddard

Jan 12, 2020, 7:56:36 AM1/12/20
On 11/01/20 18:32, Steve Hayes wrote:
> fOn Sat, 11 Jan 2020 11:25:37 +0000, Ian Goddard
> <godd...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> As regards the mention of groups.io the integrations they mention on
>> their site conspicuously lack mention of a usenet gateway. If they
>> don't include that then moving the email lists to them would fragment
>> genealogical communities which have previously been held together by the
>> old gateway.
>
> Indeed, but the old gateway is closing anyway with the demuise of
> Rootsweb.

Exactly. So if mail list users move over to something like groups.io
without a Usenet gateway the community will be fragmented between the
former mail-listers and the continuing newsgroupers.

Ian

Steve Hayes

Jan 12, 2020, 8:06:10 AM1/12/20
On Sun, 12 Jan 2020 12:56:35 +0000, Ian Goddard
<godd...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

>On 11/01/20 18:32, Steve Hayes wrote:
>> fOn Sat, 11 Jan 2020 11:25:37 +0000, Ian Goddard
>> <godd...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> As regards the mention of groups.io the integrations they mention on
>>> their site conspicuously lack mention of a usenet gateway. If they
>>> don't include that then moving the email lists to them would fragment
>>> genealogical communities which have previously been held together by the
>>> old gateway.
>>
>> Indeed, but the old gateway is closing anyway with the demuise of
>> Rootsweb.
>>

>Exactly. So if mail list users move over to something like groups.io
>without a Usenet gateway the community will be fragmented between the
>former mail-listers and the continuing newsgroupers.

Thate what were gated -- not all of them were. And I suspect that the
gating hasn't been working for a while anyway.