AGBI and the Boston Transcript

ben...@mindspring.com

May 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/18/99
If you have found an ancestor listed in the American
Genealogical-Biographical Index (AGBI) with Reference given as Gen.
Column of the "Boston Transcript" etc., how do you go about getting to
"the greatest single source of material...etc." Do most libraries
have the Boston Transcript or does one write somewhere giving the date
and number listed?

Peter Zavon

May 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/18/99
There are probably printed compilations of the genealogy columns. I do know
that the Boston Transcript was microfilmed, as an entire newspaper. (I went
through some of it for other reasons over 20 years ago at the Boston Public
Library.) Your local municipal or university library may well have it among
its collection of newspapers on microfilm. If not, I imagine they could
borrow the relevant rolls through Interlibrary Loan.

Peter Zavon
Penfield, NY
PZA...@Worldnet.att.net

ben...@mindspring.com wrote in message
<7hsfv1$thl$1...@nntp1.atl.mindspring.net>...

Richard Marean Coveney

May 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/19/99
I bought 'fich of the Transcript from:
The Godfrey Memorial Library
134 Newfield Street
Middletown, CT 06457
In 1992 it cost $381. It is well worth it if you have access to AGBI,
which Ancestory now supplies on line.
HISGEN has the paters, BPL the 'fiche.

--

http://www.Capecod.net/~LSI/
http://members.tripod.com/~LSI_2/

John Clement

May 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/19/99
Quoting ben...@mindspring.com message of 18 May 99,

> If you have found an ancestor listed in the American
> Genealogical-Biographical Index (AGBI) with Reference given
> as Gen. Column of the "Boston Transcript" etc., how do you go
> about getting to "the greatest single source of
> material...etc." Do most libraries have the Boston Transcript

I would say several libraries hold the micro form copy of the
colum. See the list of some below.

Here is a canned message I have prepared to respond to the many
queries about the Boston Transcript.

The newspaper Boston Evening Transcript for years ran a "Notes
and Queries" column, sometimes once a week, daily at other times.
Included were queries from ancestor hunters, answers from others,
gravestone inscriptions, abstracts of probate records and deed
books, elaborate genealogies, etc.

Much of the submittals were accurate, though some were guess
work. Also included were arguments over disputed points. As with
all compilations of this type, use with caution and verify before
acceptance of any data.

Contributors were identified by initials only; some deciphered
initials turn out to be notable genealogists. I have identifed
CJBM as Churchill Jones Bartlett of Marlin, Texas. Perhaps others
were coded in a similar manner.

Rider's "American Genealogical-Biographical Index" includes names
which appeared in the Transcript between 1906 and 1941 - I do not
believe earlier years have been indexed. This is a multi-volume
work that takes up several feet of shelf space, available in many
libraries.

Known as the "Transcript" or the "Boston Transcript," the columns
have been reproduced on microcards and microfiche, available in
many libraries, some of which are listed below.

On 18 May 1999, the Boston Transcript is listed for sale at:

http://www.godfrey.org/books.html#GM002

Genealogical column of the "Boston Transcript", 1896-1941. 690
fiche, #GM-002, $290.00.

According to a search on OCLC (First Search) on 18 May 1999,
these libraries hold the Boston Transcript in one form or
another. There are surely other libraries holding his work:

AL UNIV OF ALABAMA
AZ ARIZONA LIBR, ARCH & PUB RECORDS
CA LOS ANGELES PUB LIBR
CO UNIV OF COLORADO AT BOULDER
CO DENVER PUB LIBR
CT CONNECTICUT HIST SOC
CT CONNECTICUT STATE LIBR
FL MIAMI-DADE PUB LIBR SYST
FL FLORIDA STATE UNIV
IA STATE HIST SOC OF IOWA, LIBR
IL NATIONAL LOUIS UNIV
ME MAINE STATE LIBR
MI LIBRARY OF MICHIGAN
MI DETROIT PUB LIBR
NH NEW HAMPSHIRE STATE LIBR
NJ MORRIS CNTY LIBR
NY NEW YORK STATE LIBR
OH CLEVELAND PUB LIBR
OH PUBLIC LIBR OF CINCINNATI
OH STATE LIBR OF OHIO
OH TOLEDO-LUCAS CNTY PUB LIBR
TN CHATTANOOGA
TN MEMPHIS PUB LIBR & INFO
TX AMARILLO PUB LIBR
VA UNIV OF VIRGINIA
VA LIBRARY OF VIRGINIA, THE
WY LARAMIE CNTY LIBR SYST

---
John Clement, 6940 E. Girard 205, Denver, CO 80224-2917
Email: jcle...@sprynet.com Voice: 303-691-0613

Margaret J. Olson

May 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/20/99
The New England Historic Genealogical Society has the entire set.

They, like thw Allen County Public Library (which probably has it, too)
will make copies of things for people. You might want to search their
web sites for this service.

NEHGS: http://www.nehgs.org

ACPL: http://www.acpl.lib.in.us/departments/genealogy.html

Margaret Olson

Julie Ann Scovern

May 20, 2021, 4:31:01 PM5/20/21
On Tuesday, May 18, 1999 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, ben...@mindspring.com wrote:
> If you have found an ancestor listed in the American
> Genealogical-Biographical Index (AGBI) with Reference given as Gen.
> Column of the "Boston Transcript" etc., how do you go about getting to
> "the greatest single source of material...etc." Do most libraries
> have the Boston Transcript or does one write somewhere giving the date
> and number listed?

Wow can not believe these posts are still here ! No matter :)
Still Informative

Thanks !