Re: is there a macro or program to quickly add notes to every person is gedcom?

Michael Reich

Jun 13, 2012, 6:01:49 PM6/13/12

> I received a gedcom with appx. 300 individuals. I want to add a person
> note to every single individual that says "obtained from ..." Is that
> possible? Or do I have to manually add? That would be a pain in the
> butt. LOL
>
> michelle hansen <jeffs...@yahoo.com>

One approach would be to use any word processor/text editor. Open the gedcom,
locate the appropriate tag for the note you want to use (such as "1 NOTE"),
and use a search and replace/append operation.

bob gillis

Jun 13, 2012, 6:03:19 PM6/13/12

> I received a gedcom with appx. 300 individuals. I want to add a person
> note to every single individual that says "obtained from ..." Is that
> possible? Or do I have to manually add? That would be a pain in the
> butt. LOL
>
> Michelle Hansen

Why do you want to add the the note in the GEDCOM file? Aren't you going to
import it into your genealogy program? Probably or perhaps when you import
the Gedcom you can add the Gedcom as a source. I can do that in TMG.

bob gillis

bob gillis <robert...@verizon.net>

L. L. Scott

Jun 13, 2012, 6:04:53 PM6/13/12

> I received a gedcom with appx. 300 individuals. I want to add a person
> note to every single individual that says "obtained from ..." Is that
> possible? Or do I have to manually add? That would be a pain in the
> butt. LOL
>
> michelle hansen <jeffs...@yahoo.com>

Your software program should have the option when you import to put the name
of originator of GedCom, at least RootsMagic does.

singhals

Jun 13, 2012, 6:11:08 PM6/13/12

> I received a gedcom with appx. 300 individuals. I want to add a person
> note to every single individual that says "obtained from ..." Is that
> possible? Or do I have to manually add? That would be a pain in the
> butt. LOL
>
> michelle hansen<jeffs...@yahoo.com>

What's your genealogy program? Legacy Family Tree allows you to do that. I
don't remember that PAF does.

Then again ... I did that once and discovered that it only confused me a year
or two later ... clearly an event dated day-before-yesterday didn't come from
"Nick's WC Gedcom dtd (three yrs ago)" so I've been adding to Nick's data but
how do I know now what was his and what's mine?

singhals <sing...@erols.com>