Migration question

singhals

May 7, 2012, 5:20:21 PM5/7/12

Wild-eyed Guess time -- what percentage of native-born citizens of the USA
have European ancestors who ALL entered the now-USA on the sea-coast of
California, Oregon, Washington?

My feeling is, darn few -- half-a-percent maybe? Anyone have a different feel
on that?

(I have data on a Conquistadore family that ended up in California and married
into one of my families, but even that family came from Spain to the Caribbean
and on to the Gulf coast of Mexico, cross-county to the Baja, and then north.)

Cheryl
only mildly curious and with no names to give.

singhals <sing...@erols.com>

D. Stussy

May 8, 2012, 10:54:42 AM5/8/12

> Wild-eyed Guess time -- what percentage of native-born citizens of the USA
> have European ancestors who ALL entered the now-USA on the sea-coast of
> California, Oregon, Washington?
>
> My feeling is, darn few -- half-a-percent maybe? Anyone have a different feel
> on that?
>
> (I have data on a Conquistadore family that ended up in California and married
> into one of my families, but even that family came from Spain to the Caribbean
> and on to the Gulf coast of Mexico, cross-county to the Baja, and then north.)
>
> Cheryl Singhals <sing...@erols.com>
> only mildly curious and with no names to give.

It might be more than you think. Before the continental railroad was
completed, many went by ship around South America and landed at San
Francisco. Many British, Dutch, and French also took the route via southeast
Asia/Australia across the pacific to SF.

Keith Nuttle

May 10, 2012, 7:40:48 PM5/10/12

> Wild-eyed Guess time -- what percentage of native-born citizens of the USA
> have European ancestors who ALL entered the now-USA on the sea-coast of
> California, Oregon, Washington?
>
> My feeling is, darn few -- half-a-percent maybe? Anyone have a different feel
> on that?
>
> (I have data on a Conquistadore family that ended up in California and married
> into one of my families, but even that family came from Spain to the Caribbean
> and on to the Gulf coast of Mexico, cross-county to the Baja, and then north.)
>
> Cheryl Singhals <sing...@erols.com>
> only mildly curious and with no names to give.

I assume you when you say native born citizen you mean descendants of
Europeans who arrived in the United States, not native born Citizen
(Indians;-)

I don't know what you considered when making the guess, but there were quite a
few people who came directly from Europe to the west coast, or indirectly from
Canada or Australia. I would believe that those influxes may have been in the
early 1850's (gold rush)and during WWII. The thought being that the earliest
arrivals have the most descendants ie greatest % of the current population.
There were also some people who came over in the 1870, as some people with the
same name as one of my families arrived at that time.

My guess is the a half percent may be low but definitely there were more
through the great lakes, eastern and southern ports.

Keith Nuttle <Keith_...@sbcglobal.net>

Bob Melson

May 16, 2012, 3:12:21 PM5/16/12
And, don't forget, California was settled/colonized by Spaniards and
descendants of Spaniards well before 1800. They were, by any definition,
Europeans, even if born in Mexico.

-----
The greatest tyrannies are always perpetrated
in the name of the noblest causes -- Thomas Paine

Bob Melson <amia...@mypacks.net>

Dennis Lee Bieber

May 16, 2012, 3:13:31 PM5/16/12

> I assume you when you say native born citizen you mean descendants of
> Europeans who arrived in the United States, not native born Citizen
> (Indians;-)
>
> Keith Nuttle <Keith_...@sbcglobal.net>

Who descended from people that arrived from Siberia many centuries
ago?

--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
wlf...@ix.netcom.com HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/

Wes Groleau

May 18, 2012, 3:22:03 PM5/18/12

> I assume you when you say native born citizen you mean descendants of
> Europeans who arrived in the United States, not native born Citizen
> (Indians;-)
>
> Keith Nuttle

Seems obvious to me she means persons born in USA, not naturalized. That
would of course include those of Amerind descent, eastern asian, etc., as well
as European. She is asking how many of those have all their NON-native born
ancestors arriving on the west coast.

Correct?

--
Wes Groleau

“Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity.
But I'm not so sure about the universe.”
— Albert Einstein

Wes Groleau <Grolea...@FreeShell.org>

singhals

Jun 3, 2012, 4:41:27 PM6/3/12

> > I assume you when you say native born citizen you mean descendants of
> > Europeans who arrived in the United States, not native born Citizen
> > (Indians;-)
> >
> > Keith Nuttle
>
> Seems obvious to me she means persons born in USA, not naturalized. That
> would of course include those of Amerind descent, eastern asian, etc., as well
> as European. She is asking how many of those have all their NON-native born
> ancestors arriving on the west coast.
>
> Correct?
>
> Wes Groleau

Close enough, Wes. But I forgot to stick in a time-frame -- the question
arose because someone was looking for his family's immigration in the early
1800s and claimed they had entered the US via Oregon and stayed there ever
since.

So, native born who have been here since, say, 1820. My friend who went from
Calcutta to Melbourne to San Diego in 1972 doesn't count, even if he IS
Caucasian. (g)

Cheryl

singhals <sing...@erols.com>

Wes Groleau

Jun 5, 2012, 1:02:16 PM6/5/12

> Close enough, Wes. But I forgot to stick in a time-frame -- the question
> arose because someone was looking for his family's immigration in the early
> 1800s and claimed they had entered the US via Oregon and stayed there ever
> since.
>
> Cheryl Singhals

I would imagine more than a few Americans are descended from Spanish who
landed in California.

There were fur trappers in Oregon in those days. Most of them got there
from east of the Rockies, but it would not surprise me to find that some
came up the Columbia River.

--
Wes Groleau

Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns
it, and finds himself no wiser than before ... He is full of
murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having
come by their ignorance the hard way.
— Kurt Vonnegut

Wes Groleau <Grolea...@FreeShell.org>