pennsylvania census in 1875

Paul Wyatt (DUSD)

Feb 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/16/96

Can anyone please tell me if there was a state census in pennsylvania
in 1875 and, if so, where I might be able to obtain information about
it? thanks.

"Paul Wyatt (DUSD)" <pwy...@Census.GOV>

bkunkel

Feb 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/20/96

In article <4g3qog$g...@monty.rand.org>, pwy...@Census.GOV says...

I have seen several counties in PA have landowner maps that listed the
land owner and show where he lived in the county. 1875 was one of the
years. Carbon Co. is one of the counties. I know there were others.

Gene Stackhouse

Feb 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/20/96

Pennsylvania did not have a state census in 1875.

Gene in Philadelphia
Gene Stackhouse <EGStac...@mail.biosis.org>

Vince Hackley

Feb 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/23/96

Did Pennsylvania have ANY state census that is extant??? If so, how
would I gain access to these records? I'm particularly interested in
the 1881 to 1899 period during which no federal census exists.

Vince Hackley
Damascus, MD
skin...@enh.nist.gov

In article <4gdtc8$6...@monty.rand.org>,
EGStac...@mail.biosis.org says...

Gordon Johnson

Feb 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/23/96

>In article <4g3qog$g...@monty.rand.org>, pwy...@Census.GOV says...

>>Can anyone please tell me if there was a state census in pennsylvania
>>in 1875 and, if so, where I might be able to obtain information about
>>it? thanks.

Why not read "State Census Records", by Ann S. Lainhart, Genealogical
Pub. Co., USA, 1993. It has a pretty comprehensive listing of extant
census records for each state.

Gordon Johnson,
Aberdeen,
Scotland
kin...@wintermute.co.uk (Gordon Johnson)

Ellen Keyne Seebacher

Feb 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/28/96

Vince Hackley <skin...@ENH.NIST.GOV> wrote:

>Did Pennsylvania have ANY state census that is extant???

Not really. Colonial censuses were taken in 1693, 1749, 1769, and
1776; from 1763 till 1807, censuses were taken of military-age men
every seven years.

>I'm particularly interested in
>the 1881 to 1899 period during which no federal census exists.

Aren't we all? I'd give a fair amount to find some record in the US
of an English immigrant (Henry Mark THORNHILL) who arrived in the
Philadelphia area at some point after 1870 (but probably after 1880),
had not yet fathered children in 1880, and was dead by 1891. But no
such luck. He doesn't appear in city directories, and I'm not ready
to tackle unindexed tax rolls or probate records, so I've abandoned
him for the time being.

--
Ellen Keyne Seebacher el...@midway.uchicago.edu