Re: 1940 census search tips to remember later

Wes Groleau

May 2, 2012, 8:21:55 PM5/2/12

> I was thinking more of Mary with 2 R and Larry with 1; an o where most of us
> would use an a (Ivan, for instance!); the omission of a "silent h"; a lot of
> those Teddy Roosevelt-approved spellings. Not to mention what sure looks
> intentional mangling by swapping an ie for a y and vice versa; Robert with
> only 1 R; Francis used for both male and female ...
>
> Cheryl Singhals

A cousin of an ancestor had at least five children, and all got married.
So, I have her on her own marriage record (Catholic parish register) as
Melina Tassé

In censuses, and birth/marriage records of her children, I have not seen
the originals. The LDS indexes to all of those have her names
as:

Minnie Groleau
Milnis Groleau
Millie Thesor
Millie Thesser
Alwina Tessey
Mathideé Jassé
Malina Johnson
Unknown
Molina Tousseau
Melina Cassey
Molina Lousseau

!!!

--
Wes Groleau

I've noticed lately that the paranoid fear of computers becoming
intelligent and taking over the world has almost entirely disappeared
from the common culture. Near as I can tell, this coincides with
the release of MS-DOS.
— Larry DeLuca

Wes Groleau <Grolea...@FreeShell.org>

Brian

May 2, 2012, 8:25:00 PM5/2/12

> I was thinking more of Mary with 2 R and Larry with 1; an o where most of us
> would use an a (Ivan, for instance!); the omission of a "silent h"; a lot of
> those Teddy Roosevelt-approved spellings. Not to mention what sure looks
> intentional mangling by swapping an ie for a y and vice versa; Robert with
> only 1 R; Francis used for both male and female ...
>
> Again, it's not the handwriting that'll get you on this one, it's the content.
>
> Cheryl Singhals <sing...@erols.com>

I've run across a number of those also.

bob gillis

May 7, 2012, 5:13:56 PM5/7/12

> A cousin of an ancestor had at least five children, and all got
> married. So, I have her on her own marriage record (Catholic parish
> register) as Melina Tassé
>
> In censuses, and birth/marriage records of her children, I have not
> seen the originals. The LDS indexes to all of those have her names
> as:
>
> Minnie Groleau Milnis Groleau Millie Thesor Millie Thesser Alwina
> Tessey Mathideé Jassé Malina Johnson Unknown Molina Tousseau
> Melina Cassey Molina Lousseau
>
> Wes Groleau

I receive GENMTD via email using Thunderbird 12.0.1 and Tahoma font.

Wes, I do not now how you communicate with GENMTD, via email or newsgroup,
what program/service you use, or what font you compose in and considering that
some messages to GENMTD are filtered through linkpendium, somewhere the codes
alt 0195 and alt 0169 are being substituted for the last character/s of Melina
Tass? and Matilde? Jass? as seen above.

bob gillis

bob gillis <robert...@verizon.net>