Lascelles lineage

Donald Matson

Mar 14, 2009, 10:55:41 AM3/14/09
to gen-me...@rootsweb.com

Can anyone verify the following Lascelles medieval lineage as I think it may have some birthdates & wives wrong.

Picot de Lascelles b. ca.1085 Yorkshire

__________________________________

Roger de Lascelles b. ca. 1110 Yorkshire

__________________________________

Picot de Lascelles b. 1135 Yorkshire

marr. Tiphaine Musard

_________________________________

Roger Lascelles b. 1160 Yorkshire

marr. Beatrice

_________________________________

Richard Lascelles b. ca. 1205 Yorkshire

_________________________________

John Lascelles b. ca. 1225 Yorkshire

_________________________________

Ralph Lascelles b. ca. 1245 Yorkshire

marr. Jane Burdett

_________________________________

Ralph Lascelles b. ca. 1270 Yorkshire

marr. Maud Constable

_________________________________

Walter Lascelles b. ca. 1325??

marr. Agnes Radcliffe or Rocliff?

_________________________________

William Lascelles b. ca. 1345??

marr. ----Metcalfe

________________________________

William Lascelles b. ca. 1335???

marr. Isabel Wooderington or Scissley Danby???

William II Lascelles b. ca. 1355

marr. Elen Beckwith

_________________________________

Sir Wm. Lascelles b. 1390 Nottingham

marr. ----Heyfield

_________________________________

Raffe Lascelles b. ca. 1445 Nottingham

marr. Joane Topcliff

_________________________________

George Lascelles b. 1480

marr. Dorathey Sandford

______________________________

George Lascelles b. ca. 1510

marr. Dorothy Paynell

_____________________________

Bryan Lascelles b. 1531

marr. Isabel Montagu

______________________________

George Lascelles b. 1575

marr. Ellinor Wandesford

______________________________

Elizabeth Lascelles b. 1595

marr. Sir. Francis Roades/Rhodes of Derbyshire

Thank You

Don Matson donm...@hotmail.com

Nathaniel Taylor

Mar 14, 2009, 1:14:40 PM3/14/09
In article <mailman.1146.1237050...@rootsweb.com>,
Donald Matson <donm...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Can anyone verify the following Lascelles medieval lineage as I think it may
> have some birthdates & wives wrong.
>
> Picot de Lascelles b. ca.1085 Yorkshire

This is the pedigree from the 1575 yorkshire visitation, you can find
online:

_Visitations of the North_, part 4: _Visitations of York and
Northumberland in AD 1575_ (Surtees Society, vol. 146, 1932), pp. 17ff.

http://www.uiowa.edu/~c030149a/northern/surtees146text.pdf

(right-click to download whole book)

There's also a Lascelles pedigree in

_The visitations of the county of Nottingham in the years 1569 and
1614_, ed. George W. Marshall (Harleian Society, vol. 4, London, 1871),
pp. 57 etc.

http://books.google.com/books?id=fDBSgpgDmRIC

though it doesn't go as far back.

As for verifying dates, wives, etc., I don't know what the best modern
study of this family might be.

Nat Taylor
a genealogist's sketchbook:
http://www.nltaylor.net/sketchbook/

John P. Ravilious

Mar 14, 2009, 11:22:11 PM3/14/09
On Mar 14, 12:14 pm, Nathaniel Taylor <nltay...@nltaylor.net> wrote:
> In article <mailman.1146.1237050234.4254.gen-medie...@rootsweb.com>,

----------------------------------

Dear Don, Nat, et al.,

There are a number of flaws in the Lascelles pedigree given in
the Vis. of the North pedigree [Surtees 146:17], notably:

1. Roger de Lascelles (fl. ca. 1234-1300) is made the son of his
great-grandfather Roger de Lascelles, and

2. An unknown 'Sir Ric[hard] Lassels of Escrick' is inserted to
provide a male-line descent for the later Lascelles of Escrick, who
actually descended from Theophania ["Temperance" in the pedigree], one
of the last Roger de Lascelles' daughters and coheirs.

The following provides the extended descent as I now have it, but
does not go beyond John Lascelles (son of Ralph/Ranulf, not 'Sir
Richard'] at this point. Should anyone note any errors or additions,
that information would be welcome.

Cheers,

John

_______________________________

1 Picot de Laceles
Death: aft 1115[1]

of Thrintoft and Kirby Wiske, co. York and Fulstow, co. Lincs.

tenant of Count Alan in Kirby Wiske, Maunby, Scruton, Thrintoft and a
moiety of Sowber Hill in Kirby Wiske [Richmondshire] and Aylesbury,
Fulstow and Swallow, co. Lincs. at Domesday Book, 1086

he held land in Fulstow co. Lincs. at the Lindsey survey, 1115-18[1]

cf. Clay p. 51[1]

Children: Roger

1.1 Roger de Lascelles

of Thrintoft and Kirby Wiske, co. York

' one of the principal tenants of count Stephen [of Aumale] in 1130,
holding 5 knights' fees '[1]

cf. Clay p. 51[1]

Children: Picot (-ca1178)

1.1.1 Picot de Lascelles
Death: ca 1178[2]

of Thrintoft, Kettlethorp, Kirby Wiske and Escrick, co. York[2]

Enfeoffment ca. 1160-70,
' by Pichot de Lacellis, by the consent of his wife and heirs,
of Ralph de Bolebec of the land which Turold de Bolebec held
for a day and a night of Robert Marmion. This grant was made
in the hands of A. de Mundaville at Stau and the witnesses
were Hamelin the dean, Hugh de Haillai, Gilbert de Novilla,
Geoffrey Turs, Richard de Croxtuns, Walter de Kilvingholm,
Henry de Kirkeby, Turold de Bolebec, Alan de Hallai, Ralph
did his homage to Pichot at Fulstow in the house of Ralph
his bailiff and gave ten marks to him and one mark to his wife.'
A2A, Lincolnshire Archives: Holywell [Holywell 87/35][3]

cf. VCH III:20[4] [Escrick]
CP VII:444 [Lascelles][2]
Clay pp. 51-52[1]

Spouse: NN 'filia Roaldi'
Father: Roald le Constable, constable of Richmond
Mother: Garsiana, dau. (coheir ?) of Enisan Musard

Children: Roger (<1163-<1217)
William (->1211)
Alan (->1211)
Enisand

1.1.1.1 Roger de Lascelles
Birth: bef 1163[2]
Death: bef 16 Mar 1217[5],[2]

of Kirby Knowle and Escrick, co. York

granted land in Kettlethorp and Escrick which had been held of the
abbey of St. Mary at York by his father, to the abbey[2]

' Roger de Lasceles with the assent of his son Picot, Beatrice his
wife, and Enisand his brother grants to the church of St. Mary, York,
half a mark of silver annually, payable by Picot his son and heir.
' [Cal. Bodleian Charters, p. 696[6]]

Held of the honour of Richmond 2 1/2 knights' fees in York, 1212

final concord dated at Durham, 2 Feb 1211/12 between Laurence, prior
of Guisborough and Roger de Lascelles ['Rogerum de Lascellis'],
deforciant, by which the prior quitclaimed and recognized the advowson
of Kirkby super Wisc to Roger and his descendants, and Roger granted
29 bovates in Alesby in Linsey to the priory, which Theobald son of
the same Roger de Lascelles and his heirs ['quod Theobaldus filius
ipsius Rogeri de Lascellis et heredes sui'] will hold of the prior and
his successors by the service of 10 marks per annum; and the said
prior received the homage of the same Theobald for the aforesaid lands
[' Et idem Prior cepit homagium ipsius Theobaldi de predicta terra' -
Surtees Soc. XCIV:167-8, no. CCCCXLVIII[7]]

confirmed grant of his father to Ralph de Bolebec, ca. 1212-1219:
' Enfeoffment of Ralph de Bolebec sicut homini meo by Roger de Lacell'
with all his land of Fughelstowe [Fulstow] of the fee of Robert
Marmiun which he previously held of Roger's father for the service of
two parts of one knight.
Witnesses:- Walter de Lacell', Thomas de Lacell', Walter de
Killingholm, Ralph de la Mare, Roger le Noreis, Andrew de Magneby,
William de Kirkby, William filius delis de Kotes, Pikot de Scurvetone,
Alan filius Arnaldi, Philip filius Johannis, John filius Gikel,
William de Lacell', and Alan his brother, Hugh le Gal, William le
Poher et multis aliis. ' A2A, Lincolnshire Archives: Holywell
[Holywell 87/1][3]

In rebellion against King John, returned to allegiance 1217[2]

' Roger de L., who held 2 1/2 Kt. Fees at Fulestoue, Alesby, and
Swalewe, Lincs., of the Honour of Richmond, and 5 Fees of Richmond
Cas., 16 Mar. 1218.(Inq.) ' [Knights III:17[5], ref. to IPM of Roger
de Lascelles]

cf. VCH III:20[4] [Escrick]

Spouse: Beatrice[2]

Children: Picot (dsp -ca1252)
Theobald (dsp <1190-<1225), m. Ada de Dunbar
Robert (-<1245)
Theophania, m. Eudo de Karl
Maud, m. Hugh de Harington
Roger

1.1.1.1.1 Robert de Lascelles
Death: bef 1245[2]

of Fulstow, co. Lincoln

evidently m. Emma, probably sister of Beatrice and Hawise, before 2
Nov 1208:
record of two finals concord dated at Doncaster, 2 Nov 1208 between
Robert de Lascelles and Emma his wife, and (A) Geoffrey Maucovenant
and Beatrice his wife, and (B) Walter de Camera and Hawise his wife,
by which Robert and Emma recognized 2 bovates in Easington, co. Yorks.
as the right of the other parties, and each of the other parties
conceded 1 bovate and toft each to Robert and Emma, 'to have and to
hold to the same Robert and Emma and the heirs of the same Emma from
the said Geoffrey and Beatrice and the heirs of the same
Beatrice...' ["H. et T. ipsis Roberto et Emmae et her. ipsius Emmae de
predictis Gaufrido et Beatrice et her. ipsius Beatricis..." - Pedes
Finium Ebor., Surtees Soc. XCIV:131, no. CCCXLVI and :131-2, no.
CCCXLVII[8]]

released to Guisborough all his claim to land in Aylesby given by
Picot de Lascelles, before 1219[2]

cf. VCH III:20[4] [Escrick]
______________________

re: Easington, co. Yorks., this from the VCH account:
' Both EASINGTON and BOULBY, composed of 8 and 2 carucates of land
respectively, (fn. 17) were in 1086 soke of the manor of Loftus
(q.v.), which was held by Hugh Earl of Chester. A knight's fee 'in
Easington and elsewhere' was said in 1272 to be held of the constable
of Chester, (fn. 18) but this overlordship is never afterwards
mentioned. (fn. 19)
These places were not among the lands known to have been given by
Henry I to Robert de Brus, (fn. 20) but the under-tenant in the middle
of the 12th century called Adam de Brus his lord. (fn. 21) Peter de
Brus was mesne lord in 1272, (fn. 22) and Easington and Boulby were
afterwards held of the successors of the Bruses as of Kilton Castle
(fn. 23) and Skelton Castle respectively. (fn. 24)
The family of Rosel were under-tenants in the 12th century. Sir
Walter de Rosel, kt., granted tenements in Easington to the leper
hospital connected with Whitby Abbey, and Roger his son confirmed his
donation. (fn. 25) Roger de Rosel had mortgaged Easington to Aaron the
Jew of Lincoln in 1192 (fn. 26) and owed the king 60s. for Easington
in 1194. (fn. 27) The families of Maucovenant and Chamber (de Camera,
de la Chaumber, sometimes called 'de Easington' (fn. 28) ), who
succeeded the Rosels, seem to have got their lands through co-heirs.
Easington and Boulby belonged to Geoffrey [Barde] in 1179–80, (fn. 29)
but in 1208 Geoffrey Maucovenant and Beatrice his wife, and Walter
Chamber and Hawise his wife, for themselves and the heirs of Beatrice
and Hawise, granted tenements in Easington to Robert de Lascelles and
Emma his wife and her heirs; at the same time Roger, Stephen and
Reginald Rosel put in their claim to these lands. (fn. 30) Geoffrey
was succeeded by a son Geoffrey whose son Robert Maucovenant was joint
tenant in 1268. (fn. 31) Geoffrey Maucovenant, son of Robert, and
Ambrose Chamber held the knight's fee 'in Easington and elsewhere' of
Chester Castle in 1272. (fn. 32) A Geoffrey Maucovenant was joint
tenant until 1316, (fn. 33) and was called a knight in 1319, after his
decease, when his widow Margaret founded a chantry. (fn. 34) In 1428
John Peach and William Coupere held the half knight's fee in Boulby
'cum Glaphowe' (Clarpowe) which Geoffrey Maucovenant 'formerly' held.
(fn. 35) Ambrose Chamber had by 1284–5 been succeeded by Gilbert
Chamber. (fn. 36) Walter Chamber was assessed for the subsidy in 1301–
2. (fn. 37) Ambrose Chamber held half a knight's fee here in 1303,
(fn. 38) was joint lord in 1316, (fn. 39) was assessed for the subsidy
in 1327, (fn. 40) and held half the knight's fee in 1348. (fn. 41)
Roger Peche or Peach is said to have given the manor in the reign of
Henry V to his son John on his marriage with Alice daughter and heir
of John Bentley. (fn. 42) ' [VCH York, North Riding II:340-3[9]]

Spouse: Emma
Father: NN
Marr: bef 2 Nov 1208[8]

Children: Roger (dsp -<1253)
Avice (-<1261)

1.1.1.1.1.1 Avice de Lascelles
Death: bef 1261[2]

heiress of her brother Roger de Lascelles; identified as niece of
Picot de Lascelles and great-granddaughter of Picot de Lascelles[2]

evidently namesake of her aunt Avice/Hawise, wife of Walter de Camera
[Pedes Finium Ebor., Surtees Soc. XCIV:131, no. CCCXLVI and :131-2,
no. CCCXLVII[8]]

record of a fine with her son Roger:
' [ Case 283, File 14: 39-42 Henry III]
No. 313. At Westminster; from St. Michael in three weeks, 39 Henry
III, [20 October, 1255].
Between Adam de Punteyse and Avicia his wife, querents, and Roger de
Magneby, deforciant, of the manor of Magneby, co. York. And between
the same parties of the manors of Fulstowe and Alesby, co. Lincoln.
Plea of covenant. Roger has acknowledged the manor of Magneby to be
the right of Adam and Avicia, as that which they have of his gift: to
hold to them of Roger and his heirs for the life of both of them;
doing therefor to the chief lords all the services. And after the
death of both Adam and Avicia, the manor shall revert to Roger and his
heirs: to hold of the chief lords for ever. And Adam and Avicia have
granted to Roger the manors of Fulstowe and Alesby: to hold to him and
the heirs begotten of his body of Adam and Avicia for the life of
Avicia; and, after her death, of the chief lords for ever; doing
therefor all the services. And if it happen that Roger shall die
without an heir begotten of his body, the manors of Fulstowe and
Alesby shall revert to Adam and Avicia and the heirs of Avicia: to
hold of the chief lords for ever. And, moreover, Adam and Avicia have
quitclaimed to Roger and his heirs all the right and claim which they
had in the name of Avicia's dower in the manors of Berburg and Kirkeby
Criol' for ever. And, moreover, Adam has granted for himself that if
he shall raise up issue by Avicia, and shall survive her, the manor of
Eskrik, co. York, which, by the law of England, ought to remain to him
for the term of his life, shall, after her death, remain to Roger and
the heirs begotten of his body, or to the heirs of Avicia if Roger die
without an heir of his body: to hold of the chief lords by the
services which to that manor belong. And be it known that it shall not
be lawful for Adam and Avicia to give, sell, mortgage or otherwise to
aliene any part of the manors of Scurueton, Tyrentoft and Eskrik, or
to commit waste, destruction or ruin of the manor of Magneby, so as to
prevent the manors from reverting to Roger and his heirs, after the
death of Adam and Avicia, for ever.—York, Lincoln. ' [Final Concords
of the County of Lincoln, p. 288[10]]

she m. 1stly Thomas de Mauneby,
2ndly Adam de Punteyse

cf. VCH III:20[4] [Escrick]

Spouse: Thomas de Maunby
Death: bef 20 Jan 1238[2]

Children: Roger (<1234-ca1300)

1.1.1.1.1.1.1 Roger de Lascelles
Birth: bef 20 Oct 1234
Death: ca 1300[2]
Occ: Lord Lascelles

of Barbon, Westmoreland; Maunby and Kirby Knowle, co. York

identified as 'Roger de Magneby' in charter of 29 Mar 1253[2]

record of a fine with his mother Avice and her then husband, Adam de
Punteyse, dated at Westminster, 20 Oct 1255 [see above: Case 283, File
14: 39-42 Henry III, in Final Concords of the County of Lincoln, p. 288
[10]]

Sided with baronial party against King Henry III 1265

safe conduct dated at Westminster, 30 Jan 1265/6 :
' Safe conduct until three weeks after Easter for Roger de Lasceles,
coming to the king's court, provided that he stand his trial etc.
' [CPR Hen III (1258-1266), mem. 32, p. 542[11]]

pardoned 1266

lord of Ellerton-on-Derwent, Kirby Knowle, Carperby, Scruton,
Thrintoft and Kirby Wiske, Yorks.[2]

' Rogero de Lascelys', held the manor of Kirby Knowle, co. York. of
Hugh de Hupsale, ca. 1281 [Kirkby's Inquest, p. 96[12]]; also 1/2
carucate and 12 bovates in Maunby of the Earl of Richmond; 6 carucates
in Kirby Knowle of the Earl, and 3 carucates in Newby on Wysk, 1284-5
[Kirkby's Inquest, p. 176[12]]

Summoned to Parliament from 24 June 1295 by writ directed 'Rogero de
Lasceles', held thereby to have become Lord Lascelles[2]
___________________

re: his wife:

identified in 1575 Visitation as daughter of William fitz Thomas
(evidently in error) [Visitations of the North [Surtees Soc. 146] IV:
17]. Her father William, being father of Ralph fitz William (later
Lord Greystoke) was evidently confused with William de Greystoke, his
brother in law and son of Thomas de Greystoke.

Spouse: Elizabeth 'filia Willielmi'[2]
Death: bef 25 May 1323[2],[5]
Father: Sir William fitz Ralph (->1269)
Mother: Joan de Greystoke

Children: Joan
Avice (->1356), m. Robert le Constable
Maud (-1343), m. (2nd) Sir William de Hilton
Theophania (-<1323)

1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1 Joan de Lascelles

eldest daughter and coheiress
inherited Scruton, co. Yorks (alienated to Sir Simon Ward)[2]

Agreement concerning the division of the inheritance, dated 27 June
1302:
' Agreement between Joan widow of Thomas de Colewynne, Sir Robert de
Tylyolle and wife Matilda, Sir Ralph Fitz Ranulph and wife Theophila,
and Robert le Constable and wife Avice (daughters and heirs of Sir
Roger de Lascelles) on the division of Sir Roger's fees in Yorks.,
Westmorland and Lincs.
property homage, service and fees of free towns
of [...] Sournta' and Estkryke, co. Yorks., to remain to Joan de C.
All in Yorks to remain to Robert and Avice le C.
All others in Lincs. and in Westmorland to remain to Robert
and Matilda de T. and Ralph and Theophila Fitz R.
Given at Eskryke, Wed. after Nat. St. John baptist. 30 Ed. I. '
- A2A, East Riding of Yorkshire Archives and Records Service:
Chichester-Constable Family [DDCC/111 - DDCC/135], DDCC/135/51[3]

cf. VCH III:20[4]

Spouse: Thomas de Colwen
Death: bef 27 Jun 1302[3]

1.1.1.1.1.1.1.2 Avice de Lascelles
Death: aft 9 May 1356[3]

2nd daughter and coheiress
received manor of Thrintoft, co. York on her marriage; inherited manor
of Maunby

assessment (1301) in the Lay Subsidy of 30 Edw I, Wapentake of
Gilling, co. Yorks., for lands in 'Thrynetofte':
' De Roberto le Conestable vijs. ixd. o. ' [Yorkshire Lay
Subsidy, pp. 8-26[13]]

Agreement concerning the division of the inheritance, dated 27 June
1302 [see above, A2A, East Riding of Yorkshire Archives and Records
Service: Chichester-Constable Family [DDCC/111 - DDCC/135], DDCC/135/51
[3]

acquired the whole of the manor of Kirby Knowle by 1339[2] ,
agreement dated 12 March 1324/25:
' Gift: Matilda widow of Sir Robert de Tilliol to Sir Robert le
Constable of Holdernesse and his wife Dame Avice property
all her share of the manor of Kirby-underknoll, With 1 messuage,
1 bovate, 46½
ac. 1r. 10 p., and rents of 4s. 8¾d. and 1 lb. of pepper in Eskryk
(Reserving a fourth part of the manor of the town and of the advowson
of Estkryk) ie the messuage William Foster holds at will, a bovate
Henry Pechard sometime held, 31 ac. 1r. 10 p. in Prestring, 2½ ac. in
Robriding, 3 ac. in Martinriding, 3 ac., 2s. 8¾d yearly from Matilda
de Eskryk for a messuage and 2 bovates, and 2s. and 1 lb. pepper
yearly from Emma de Sellis for a messuage and 2 bovates.
In exchange for all their property in the manor of Ellerton super
Derwent
Witn. Sir William de Thweng or Tweng, John de Sutton, William
de la Tower, Thomas de Pyke, Walter de Fauconbridge, Roger de la Hay.
Given at Halsham in Holdernesse, St. Gregory 1324. ' - A2A, East
Riding of Yorkshire Archives and Records Service: Chichester-Constable
Family [DDCC/111 - DDCC/135], DDCC/135/51[3]

aged 40 at mother's death (Knights I:233)[5]

' Letter of Attorney: John Bardolph, lord of Wyrmegeye and his wife
Dame Elizabeth to their knight John de Lasseles relating to deliver
seisin to Dame Avice wife of Robert Constable of Halsham, of a fourth
part of the manor of Kirby-under-Knolle Given at Wirmegeye Mon. in/St.
Nicholas 30 Ed. III (Translation). (9 May 1356) ' - A2A, East Riding
of Yorkshire Archives and Records Service: Chichester-Constable Family
[DDCC/111 - DDCC/135] , "Records and Deeds mentioned in the large
Pedigree of the Constables": DDCC/135/51, #31[3]

Letter of attorney, her nephew John de Lascelles to give seisin in
Kirkby under Knowle to his aunt, Avicia, dated 9 May 1356 :
' Letter of Attorney:
John Bardolph, lord of Wyrmegeye and his wife
Dame Elizabeth to their knight John de Lasseles relating to deliver
seisin to Dame Avice wife of Robert Constable of Halsham, of a fourth
part of the manor of Kirby-under-Knolle Given at Wirmegeye Mon. in/St.
Nicholas 30 Ed. III (Translation). ' - A2A, East Riding of Yorkshire
Archives
and Records Service: Chichester-Constable Family [DDCC/111 - DDCC/
135], DDCC/135/51[3]

evidently 2nd wife of Robert le Constable[3]

Spouse: Robert le Constable[2]
Death: bef 9 Jan 1336[14]
Father: Sir Simon le Constable (-<1294)
Mother: Katherine (->1294)
Marr: aft 19 Apr 1282[3]

1.1.1.1.1.1.1.3 Theophania de Lascelles[15]
Death: bef 28 Oct 1323[16],[4]

4th daughter and coheiress with her sisters[2]
also called Tiffany;
inherited manor of Escrick and Ellerton-on-Derwent[2]

Agreement concerning the division of the inheritance, dated 27 June
1302 [see above, A2A, East Riding of Yorkshire Archives and Records
Service: Chichester-Constable Family [DDCC/111 - DDCC/135], DDCC/135/51
[3]

she d. before 28 Oct 17 Edw II (1323) [CCR 17 Edw II, pp. 28-29, mem.
34[16]]

Spouse: Ralph fitz Ranulf
Death: bef 1316[15]
Father: Ralph Fitz Ranulf (-<1270)
Mother: Bertrama

Children: Sir Ralph (->1343)

1.1.1.1.1.1.1.3.1 Sir Ralph de Lascelles
Death: aft 1343[15]

knt., of Spennithorne, Escrick and Ellerton-on-Derwent, co. Yorks[2]
know as Ranulf fitz Ralph, and as Ranulf de Lascelles[15]

' Ralph son and heir of Theophania' [CCR 17 Edw II, pp. 28-29, mem. 34
[16]]

made grant of his share of Kirby Knowle to his aunt Avice, 1334[2]

concerning the moieties of Escrick inherited by his mother, and aunts
Maud (Tilliol) and Avice (le Constable),
' It was probably the last three shares which were consolidated
in the hands of Ralph de Lascelles. He apparently had them by
1344, and in 1362 he was described as lord of three-quarters
of Escrick.' [VCH III:20[4]]

'knight of the shire', co. Yorks., Parliament of Sept. 1346
[ YAS XCI:98-99[14]]

Spouse: Isabel[15]

Children: John (-<1362)
Roger
Walter

1.1.1.1.1.1.1.3.1.1 John de Lascelles
Death: bef 1362[17],[15]

knt., of Escrick and Ellerton-on-Derwent, co. York

Letter of attorney, to give seisin in Kirkby under Knowle to his
aunt, Avicia, dated 9 May 1356 :
' Letter of Attorney:
John Bardolph, lord of Wyrmegeye and his wife
Dame Elizabeth to their knight John de Lasseles relating to deliver
seisin to Dame Avice wife of Robert Constable of Halsham, of a fourth
part of the manor of Kirby-under-Knolle Given at Wirmegeye Mon. in/St.
Nicholas 30 Ed. III (Translation). ' - A2A, East Riding of Yorkshire
Archives
and Records Service: Chichester-Constable Family [DDCC/111 - DDCC/
135], DDCC/135/51[3]

Children: Ranulf (->1388)

1. Sir Charles Clay, ed., "Early Yorkshire Families," The Yorkshire
Archaeological Society, Record Series), 1973, Vol. CXXXV.
2. G. E. Cokayne, "The Complete Peerage," 1910 - [microprint,
1982 (Alan Sutton) ], The Complete Peerage of England Scotland Ireland
Great Britain and the United Kingdom.
3. "Access to Archives," http://www.a2a.pro.gov.uk/, extracted 7
October, 2002, DEEDS OF TITLE AND COGNATE PAPERS, Nottinghamshire, DD/
4P/22/250 - re: Aldeby and minority, William de Morley (1 March
1339/40), Girlington: from Warwickshire County Record Office: Mordaunt
of Walton, Suffolk Record Office, Ipswich Branch: The Iveagh
(Phillipps) Suffolk Manuscripts, ref. HD 1538/172/3 - date: 6 Aug 1272
(re: Weyland), Suffolk Record Office, Ipswich Branch: The Iveagh
(Phillipps) Suffolk Manuscripts, Thredling and Stow Hundreds, HD
1538/15 Vol.15/fol.17/4 - date: 28 Dec 1394, (ref. to Robert Morley,
knt.), Hastings: from Norfolk Record Office: Hastings Family of
Gressenhall, charters and other documents re: Hastings of Elsing, from
FILE - Charter - Grant - ref. MR 72 241 x 3, also, Norfolk Record
Office: Collecton of Manorial Documents relating to Gressenhall and
Hunstanton, (includes COLLECTION of MANORIAL DOCUMENTS relating to
GRESSENHALL and HUNSTANTON).
4. K. J. Allison, ed., "A History of the County of York, East Riding,"
Oxford: published for the Institute of Historical Research, Oxford
Univ. Press, 1969, Vol. III.
5. Rev. Charles Moor, D.D., F.S.A., "Knights of Edward I," Pubs. of
the Harleian Society, 1929-1930, 4 Vols. (Vols. 80-83 in series).
6. William H. Turner, ed., "Calendar of Charters and Rolls preserved
in the Bodleian Library," Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1878, courtesy
SearchLive.
7. W. Brown, ed., "Pedes Finium Ebor. regnante Johanne, A.D. MCXCIX. -
A.D. MCCXIV.," Surtees Society, vol. XCIV, Durham: published for the
Society by Andrews & Co., 1897, courtesy Googlebooks.
8. "Pedes Finium Ebor. Regnante Johanne, A.D. MCXCIX. - A.D. MCCXIV.,"
Durham: Andrews & Co., 1897, Surtees Soc. , Vol. XCIV.
9. William Page, ed., "A History of the County of York," 1923, Volume
2: 'Parishes: Easington', pp. 340-3, URL:
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=64671.
10. Charles Wilmer Foster, ed., "Final Concords of the County of
Lincoln from the Feet of Fines Preserved in the Public Record Office,"
printed for the Lincoln Record Society by W. K. Morton & Sons, Ltd.,
1920, a continuation of W. O. Massingberd's "Lincolnshire
Records" (1896), courtesy Googlebooks.
11. "Calendar of the Patent Rolls," preserved in the Public Record
Office, Henry III. A.D. 1258-1266, London: for the Public Record
Office.
12. John de Kirkby, "The survey of the county of York taken by John de
Kirkby, commonly called Kirkby's Inquest," also inquisitions of
knights' fees, the Nomina villarum for Yorkshire, and an appendix of
illustrative documents, Durham: Pub. for the Society by Andrews and
Co., 1867.
13. Institute of Historical Research, "The Subsidy: Wapentake of
Gilling," Yorkshire Lay Subsidy: 30 Ed. I (1301), pp. 8-26, online
available, courtesy British History Online, URL
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=49731.
14. A. Gooder, Ph.D., "The Parliamentary Representation of the County
of York, 1258-1832, Vol. I," The Yorkshire Archaeological Society,
Record Series, Vol. XCI (1935), Wakefield: Printed for the Society,
1935.
15. Frederick L. Weis, Th. D., "The Magna Carta Sureties, 1215,"
Baltimore: Gen Pub Co., 5th ed., 1997 (W. L. Sheppard Jr & David
Faris).
16. "Calendar of the Close Rolls," Edw II (1323-1327), London: Printed
for Her Majesty's Stationery Office by Eyre and Spottiswoode, 1898.
17. G. H. R. Kent, ed., "A History of the County of York, East
Riding," Oxford: published for the Institute of Historical Research,
Oxford Univ. Press, 2002, Vol. VII, online available, courtesy British
History Online, URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=16147.
18. John Burke, Esq., "A Genealogical and Heraldic History of the
Commoners of Great Britain and Ireland," London: published for Henry
Colburn by R. Bentley (repub. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co.),
Vol. III (1836; repub., 1977), pp. 60-61 (Crompton-Stansfield of
Esholt Hall), pp. 548 et seq. (Constable of Wassand).
19. George Poulson, Esq., "The History and Antiquities of the
Seigniory of Holderness," Hull: Thomas Topping, and W. Pickering, 1840
(Vol I) 1841 (Vol II), pp. 197-198, pedigree of Hilton of Swine.
20. "Collectanea Topographica et Genealogica," London: John Bowyer
Nichols and Son, 1837, Vol. IV.

Merilyn Pedrick

Mar 15, 2009, 1:05:11 AM3/15/09
to gen-me...@rootsweb.com
Thankyou John for all that information.

I don't suppose anyone has ancestors for Emma de Lascelles who married Peter
de Birkin who died before 1143? I just have her as a solitary name with no
sources or notes.

Merilyn

> [...]

Records" (1896), courtesy Googlebooks.

Office.

Co., 1867.

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=49731.

1935.

Faris).

asp?compid=16147.

18. John Burke, Esq., "A Genealogical and Heraldic History of the

Commoners of Great Britain and Ireland," London: published for Henry

Colburn by R. Bentley (repub. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co.),

Vol. III (1836; repub., 1977), pp. 60-61 (Crompton-Stansfield of

Esholt Hall), pp. 548 et seq. (Constable of Wassand).

19. George Poulson, Esq., "The History and Antiquities of the

Seigniory of Holderness," Hull: Thomas Topping, and W. Pickering, 1840

(Vol I) 1841 (Vol II), pp. 197-198, pedigree of Hilton of Swine.

20. "Collectanea Topographica et Genealogica," London: John Bowyer

.

John Watson

Mar 15, 2009, 3:16:20 AM3/15/09
> available, courtesy British History Online, URLhttp://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=49731.

> 14. A. Gooder, Ph.D., "The Parliamentary Representation of the County
> of York, 1258-1832, Vol. I," The Yorkshire Archaeological Society,
> Record Series, Vol. XCI (1935), Wakefield: Printed for the Society,
> 1935.
> 15. Frederick L. Weis, Th. D., "The Magna Carta Sureties, 1215,"
> Baltimore: Gen Pub Co., 5th ed., 1997 (W. L. Sheppard Jr & David
> Faris).
> 16. "Calendar of the Close Rolls," Edw II (1323-1327), London: Printed
> for Her Majesty's Stationery Office by Eyre and Spottiswoode, 1898.
> 17. G. H. R. Kent, ed., "A History of the County of York, East
> Riding," Oxford: published for the Institute of Historical Research,
> Oxford Univ. Press, 2002, Vol. VII, online available, courtesy British
> History Online, URL:http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=16147.
> 18. John Burke, Esq., "A Genealogical and Heraldic History of the
> Commoners of Great Britain and Ireland," London: published for Henry
> Colburn by R. Bentley (repub. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co.),
> Vol. III (1836; repub., 1977), pp. 60-61 (Crompton-Stansfield of
> Esholt Hall), pp. 548 et seq. (Constable of Wassand).
> 19. George Poulson, Esq., "The History and Antiquities of the
> Seigniory of Holderness," Hull: Thomas Topping, and W. Pickering, 1840
> (Vol I)   1841 (Vol II), pp. 197-198, pedigree of Hilton of Swine.
> 20. "Collectanea Topographica et Genealogica," London: John Bowyer
> Nichols and Son, 1837, Vol. IV.

John,

For an additional source, see also the Lascelles pedigree (defective)
showning the descent of the manor of Barbon, Westmorland.

'Barbon', Records relating to the Barony of Kendale: volume 2 (1924),
pp. 364-373.

Regards,

John