Additional ancestors for Prince Charles: the Herren von Rötteln

Carl-Henry Geschwind

Feb 20, 2021, 8:18:37 AM2/20/21
Rudolf II, Markgraf von Hachberg (or Baden-Hochberg), is an ancestor of Prince Charles (two of his great-grandchildren are in Genealogics with references to Paget's Lineage and Ancestry of HRH Prince Charles, namely Johann III Graf zu Fürstenberg at https://genealogics.org/getperson.php?personID=I00271928&tree=LEO and Ursula Markgräfin von Baden-Hochberg at https://genealogics.org/getperson.php?personID=I00066043&tree=LEO).

Genealogics (referencing Europäische Stammtafeln - both ESNF 11:128 as well as well as the 1975 edition of ES I: 83) has Rudolf II's mother as Benedikta/Agnes von Rötteln, wife of Rudolf I, Markgraf von Baden-Sausenberg, but no ancestors for Benedikta/Agnes.

This ancestry (with 4 and possibly 5 generations prior to Benedikta/Agnes) can be seen in a 152-page article published 1927 in an obscure German periodical that has been digitized and put online by the university library of Freiburg im Breisgau. The article is Otto Roller, "Geschichte der Edelherren von Rötteln," _Blätter aus der Markgrafschaft: Mitteilungen des Historischen Vereins für das Markgräflerland und die Angrenzenden Gebiete_, 7 (1927): 1-152. The digitization begins at http://dl.ub.uni-freiburg.de/diglit/mgl-1927-7/0007; the family tree that summarizes his conclusions is at http://dl.ub.uni-freiburg.de/diglit/mgl-1927-7/0167

The author, Otto Roller (full name Otto Konrad Roller) received a Ph.D. in medieval history from the University of Marburg in 1902 and spent his career at the numismatic collection (Münzkabinett) of Baden, whose director he was from 1922 to his death in 1936. He published a number of genealogical works as well as articles on ancient and medieval coins. See his biography at https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otto_Konrad_Roller

The 1927 article is based on 445 documents, all described in abstract (following the German conventions for Regesten of medieval sources) on pp. 56-143 (http://dl.ub.uni-freiburg.de/diglit/mgl-1927-7/0056 to http://dl.ub.uni-freiburg.de/diglit/mgl-1927-7/0149). He also discusses in depth the seals and coats-of-arms of the Herren von Rötteln. These lords had their seat at the castle of Rötteln about 6 miles northeast of downtown Basel; see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%B6tteln_Castle

Roller makes what to me is a convincing argument that the father-in-law of Rudolf I was Otto Herr von Rötteln (died 1305 x 1307). The only explicit evidence we have for a linkage of the two families is a document from 1316 in which Heinrich II, Markgraf von Hachberg, Rudolf I's oldest son, refers to the late Liutold II, cathedral provost and twice bishop-elect of Basel (and Otto's brother) as his "Oheim" (maternal uncle) - see Regest 409 on p. 133 at http://dl.ub.uni-freiburg.de/diglit/mgl-1927-7/0139. If "maternal uncle" were taken literally, this would mean that Rudolf's wife had been a sister rather than a daughter of Otto, but this is extremely unlikely on both chronological grounds (Heinrich II had been born 1300/01, while Liutold II had been born in the late 1220s, Otto in the late 1230s, and their father Konrad I had died 1259 x 1262) and on inheritance grounds (beginning in 1311, after the death of Otto's only son but before Liutold II's death in 1316, Rudolf I began appearing repeatedly as co-lord of Rötteln with Liutold II; if Rudolf's wife had been the sister rather than the daughter of Otto, then Rudolf would not have had a claim to the lordship until after the death of Liutold II as the last male of the Rötteln family).

Roller then goes on to show that Liutold II had only two brothers, one of whom died young without known progeny, and produces a charter from 1289 that shows that Otto had one son and two daughters named Agnes and Benedikta (Regest 257 on pp. 100-101 at http://dl.ub.uni-freiburg.de/diglit/mgl-1927-7/0106; from the terms of the charter, this is a complete listing of Otto's children at that time). The daughters were of just the right age (that is, alive but under age 14 in 1289) to have married Rudolf I in the late 1290s and given birth to his first son around 1300 (there is no evidence whatsoever which of these two daughters was Rudolf's wife, though Roller prefers Agnes on onomastic grounds). That Rudolf I's wife was one of these two daughters also gives an explanation for why the marriage of Rudolf's third son Otto in 1329 to Katherina de Grandson required papal dispensation for consanguinity in the fourth degree (see Roller's discussion at pp. 102-104).

Roller's reconstruction appears to have been accepted by subsequent authors on the Baden-Rötteln connection and is reflected in the rather extensive German Wikipedia article on the Herren von Rötteln (https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%B6tteln_(Adelsgeschlecht)).