Margaret Boyd ( King James IV ' s mistress)

Cesare Patrignani

Sep 28, 2001, 3:19:18 PM9/28/01
Hello everybody....
I am looking for Margaret Boyd, James IV King of Scots 's mistress, in the
Burke's Dormant and Extinct Peerages ( sub Boyd) with no result; who was
she? who were her parents? By the way in the book "The Stewart Dynasty" by
Stewart Ross, (page 179) she is called as " Marion" (...Shortly after his
twenty-first birthday James ended hist first great romance by arranging for
marion Boyd to marry John Mure of Rowallan...); is this Marion the same
Margaret?
Thank you very much indeed for the help...
best regards to everybody,
Cesare from Italy.

William Addams Reitwiesner

Sep 29, 2001, 8:27:11 AM9/29/01
"Cesare Patrignani" <cep...@tin.it> wrote:

>Hello everybody....
>I am looking for Margaret Boyd, James IV King of Scots 's mistress, in the
>Burke's Dormant and Extinct Peerages ( sub Boyd) with no result; who was
>she? who were her parents?

I don't have a copy of *Burke's Dormant and Extinct Peerages* handy, so I
don't know what you're looking at, but there was a Thomas Boyd, Earl of
Arran (d. by 1474) who married a daughter of King James II. This Thomas
had a younger brother, Archibald Boyd of Nariston, later of Bonshaw, who
died some time before 4 May 1507. Archibald's wife was Christian Mure, who
was still living on 28 Jan. 1523. Archibald and Christian had several
children, including Margaret Boyd, mistress of King James IV and mother of
the Archbishop of St Andrews and the Countess of Morton.

> By the way in the book "The Stewart Dynasty" by
>Stewart Ross, (page 179) she is called as " Marion" (...Shortly after his
>twenty-first birthday James ended hist first great romance by arranging for
>marion Boyd to marry John Mure of Rowallan...); is this Marion the same
>Margaret?

Yes. Margaret died as his widow shortly before 31 August 1559. See *Scots
Peerage*, vol. V [1908], pp. 145-146.

--
Ceterum censeo DSH delendam esse.

William Addams Reitwiesner
wr...@erols.com

davidarat...@sympatico.ca

May 14, 2014, 12:49:28 PM5/14/14
She is my Ancestor, Marion / Margot / Margaret of Nariston ... by her daughter Catherine / or Katherine Stewart, who married James Douglas, Earl of Morton ... She is very easy to trace, via peerage.com and other sources ...

tom.sch...@gmail.com

Feb 20, 2018, 11:26:02 PM2/20/18
She is also my ancestor i just found out...13th great aunt
Message has been deleted

Joanne.E. Fletcher

Mar 7, 2021, 9:32:56 AM3/7/21
I have been in contact with Douglas Archives as I am attempting to complete my pedigree and family tree. I have numerous websites pertaining to my genealogical research and usually ask the Clans etc. about the rather difficult questions such as this one. Thankfully Clan Douglas was able to assist me. I descend via her marriage to Patrick Bellenden.
What you are looking for is this information:
James V's sister, an illegitimate daughter of James IV and Margaret
Boyd, was Catherine Stewart (c. 1495 (some say 1515) - 1554), who
married James Douglas, 3rd Earl of Morton, who died in 1548. She is
referred to as Mariota Douglas, the wife of Patrick Bellenden in
Auchnoule, who died in 1514.

Mark Jennings

Mar 7, 2021, 11:05:23 AM3/7/21
Since James IV died in 1513, he is unlikely to have had a daughter born in 1515.

According to ODNB, Patrick Bellenden's wife (mother of his son John) was Mariota Douglas, nurse to James V. This Mariota is a different person to Marion Boyd, sometime mistress of James's father, afterwards wife of John Muir of Rowallan.