Worsley/Tyldsley/Gerard families?

Norma Rudinsky

Nov 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/4/99

For the Worsley family, an excellent source is Walter Goodwin Davis' book
"The Ancestry of Mary Isaac" (1955), and he also treats the Leghs of
Stockwell in Surrey. The names you gave didn't ring loud bells at the
moment, but good luck. The book may come on ILL, and it was filmed by the
LDS.

Norma Leigh Rudinsky
rudi...@ucs.orst.edu

On Thu, 4 Nov 1999, Kay Robinson wrote:

> Among my Lancashire lines I have the following two lines connecting
> with Jane Legh:
>
> 1 Thomas Gerard [c1488-1523] #6373
> +Margery Trafford [c1494-1540] #6372
> 2 Thomas Gerard [c1512-1553] #6374
> +[1]Jane Legh [c1515-1575] #6376
> 3 Katherine Gerard [c1533-] #6338
> +William Torbock [c1526-1558] #6337
> 2 William Gerard [-c1567] #6375
>

> 1 Peter Legh [c1455-1527] #6395
> +Ellen Savage [-1491] #6368
> 2 Peter Legh [c1480-1541] #6396
> +Margaret Tyldesley #6397
> 3 [1]Jane Legh [c1515-1575] #6376
>
> I also have the line below also containing Gerards, Tyldesleys and
> Leghs:
>
> 1 Robert Worsley [alive 1593] #8180
> +Alice Tyldesley #8181
> 2 Robert Worsley #8182
> +Elizabeth Gerard #8183
> 3 Thomas Worsley #8184
> +Elizabeth Wood #8185
> 4 Thomas Worsley [-1664] #8186
> +Alice Holcroft #8187
> +Penelope Egerton #8188
> 5 Thomas Worsley [1649-1715] #8189
> +Mary Arthington #8190
> 6 Thomas Worsley [1686-1750] #8191
> +Mary Frankland [-1722] #8192
> +Anne Robinson #8193
>
> Question;
>
> 1] Can anyone link this latter line into the previous two?
>
> 2] Robert Worsley #8180 'acquired' the manor of Hoveringham, Yorks in
> 1593. Was this through his marriage to Alice?
>
> 3] Does anyone know of the ancestry of the Worsleys and/or or their
> spouses?
>
> 4] Is Jane Legh connected to the Leghs/Leighs of Cheshire?
>
> Any help appreciated, thanks.
>
> Kay

> A good end cannot sanctify evil, nor must
> we ever do evil that good may come of it.
> Force may subdue, but Love gains, and he
> that forgives first wins the laurel.
>
> William Penn 1644-1718
> Kay Robinson <spam...@nospam.com>
> Give all you can, Take only what you need

Sutliff

Nov 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/4/99

Kay Robinson wrote:

> Among my Lancashire lines I have the following two lines connecting
> with Jane Legh:
>
> 1 Thomas Gerard [c1488-1523] #6373
> +Margery Trafford [c1494-1540] #6372
> 2 Thomas Gerard [c1512-1553] #6374
> +[1]Jane Legh [c1515-1575] #6376
> 3 Katherine Gerard [c1533-] #6338
> +William Torbock [c1526-1558] #6337
> 2 William Gerard [-c1567] #6375
>
> 1 Peter Legh [c1455-1527] #6395
> +Ellen Savage [-1491] #6368
> 2 Peter Legh [c1480-1541] #6396
> +Margaret Tyldesley #6397
> 3 [1]Jane Legh [c1515-1575] #6376

> <snip>
>
> Question;

> 4] Is Jane Legh connected to the Leghs/Leighs of Cheshire?
>
> Any help appreciated, thanks.
>
> Kay

Jane Legh was daughter of Sir Piers (VII) Legh (1479-4 Dec 1542) of Lyme,
Cheshire and Margaret Tyldesley of Tyldesley, Lancashire. Margaret's
father was named Nicholas, but nothing further on this. There are a
number of references to this family in Marshall under "Tildesley."

Thomas Gerard (d. 1553) of Kingsley, Cheshire and Bryn, Lancashire and
Jane had at least three children: (1) Catherine m. William Torbock of
Torbock, Lancashire (and great-grandmother to gateway immigrant Oliver
Mainwaring of New London, CT) (2) Daughter whose name I do not have m.
Robert Charnocke and (3) Thomas m. Elizabeth Port of Etwall, Derbyshire.

Hope this helps.

Henry Sutliff