Pierre and Estienne Chastain

Tyler Holman

Aug 8, 2011, 12:51:00 PM8/8/11
to GEN-ME...@rootsweb.com
Hello again,

Has anyone here do any research on the Chastain line? Specifically, the
ancestry of the surgeon and early immigrant, Pierre Chastain. There is a
large amount of information relating to his descendants available from
the Chastain Family Association, but a limited pool of information,
mostly just references, to his ancestors. According to one of the
Associations book, Estienne and his father, Jeanne, were 'notaire royal'
in Charost, France. I'm not completely sure what this is. They were also
Huguenots. Estienne was reportedly born in Berri, in 1625, and Jacques,
his father, in 1598.

The Chastain Family Associations website goes into a lot of detail on a
false line (http://www.pierrechastain.com/content/spurious.html),
claiming that Pierre was descended from a line called 'Chasteignier.'

So, from the references made in other books and sources, there seems to
be information and records available on Estienne and his ancestors, but
I haven't been able to locate anything beyond unsourced pedigrees. Does
anyone have any information on the family?

Thanks,

~ Tyler Holman

Wjhonson

Aug 8, 2011, 12:56:53 PM8/8/11
to listre...@hotmail.com, GEN-ME...@rootsweb.com

Well part is easy. Notaire is a notary. He was a person who drew up legal documents like marriage contracts and land sales etc.
I suppose that "notaire royal" possibly meant he once drew up a contract for the king ("royal"), but it could also simply mean he paid some kind of fee to be able to use this license.

Denis Beauregard

Aug 9, 2011, 2:11:16 PM8/9/11
On Mon, 8 Aug 2011 12:51:00 -0400, Tyler Holman
<listre...@hotmail.com> wrote in soc.genealogy.medieval:

>Associations book, Estienne and his father, Jeanne, were 'notaire royal'
>in Charost, France. I'm not completely sure what this is. They were also
>Huguenots. Estienne was reportedly born in Berri, in 1625, and Jacques,
>his father, in 1598.

Notaire royal is some kind of notary who received his permit
(commission) from the king (actually from some state officer). This
doesn't mean he ever worked for the king or for some ministry, etc.

>The Chastain Family Associations website goes into a lot of detail on a
>false line (http://www.pierrechastain.com/content/spurious.html),
>claiming that Pierre was descended from a line called 'Chasteignier.'

Without source, it is not obvious to estimate the value of that claim.
However, they are wrong about the meaning. Chastain is today Châtain,
a kind of brown (auburn ?) while the owner of a castel was chastelain.
As for switching from Chateigner (a nuttrees with nuts called
chataignes) to Chastain (a color), this looks like suspicious and cut
and paste of names or wrong translations (before the 1500s, Latin was
the language of records in France, so the names in original records
were probably not those shown on the site but their Latin version.
However, names can switch from anything to anything unrelated, just
because at that time, names of nobles were often based on land owned.

>So, from the references made in other books and sources, there seems to
>be information and records available on Estienne and his ancestors, but
>I haven't been able to locate anything beyond unsourced pedigrees. Does
>anyone have any information on the family?

You may need to find someone in the area to translate records for
you. But you may find something in noble books (there are many of
them in French) or history reviews scanned at either books.google
or gallica.bnf.fr (this later site is in France).

Denis

--
Denis Beauregard - généalogiste émérite (FQSG)
Les Français d'Amérique du Nord - www.francogene.com/genealogie--quebec/