RA Addition - John Lightfoot

Nathan Murphy

Jan 21, 2017, 3:42:40 PM1/21/17
>Was Aske-Lightfoot Update https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/soc.genealogy.medieval/Philip$20Lightfoot%7Csort:relevance/soc.genealogy.medieval/h7ET9TbHBgs/wVkxa7agyJcJ

What evidence exists to document the children of Captain John Lightfoot (c1627-1682) by Elizabeth Tailor? My searches added a few baptism, marriage, burial dates to the RA account.

The 1687 Visitation of London states he died sine prole.

The herald's account conflicts with information Larry W. Cates posted on this list 2 Dec 2005. His genealogist located a PCC administration for a John Lightfoote (granted 31 Mar 1688), who died beyond the seas, which includes a marginal note dated 7 Mar 1686[/7] stating John's sons John Lightfoote and Philip Lightfoote were in parts beyond the seas, so administration was not granted to them, but to another relative.

The herald's account also seems to conflict with bequests in the will of Captain John Lightfoot's mother. In the PCC will of Elizabeth Lightfoot of London Widdow (dated 1 May 1679 [omitted in RA], codicil 20 Nov 1681, proved 24 Dec 1686), she makes a bequest to the poor of St Sepulchers London. She also makes bequests to several grandsons named John Lightfoot (among other relatives):
1. John, left apprenticeship early to my son Robert.
2. John Lightfoot the sonne of my sonne Edmund.
3. Godson: John the sonne of my sonne Richard deced.
4. grandsonne John Lightfoot sonne of my sonne John dureing his Fathers life the sum[m]e of tenn pounds by the yeare and after his Fathers death the sume of fourty pounds by the yeare dureing the Tearme of the naturall life of my said Grandson And I doe further direct and appoint that if my said Executor by and with the advice and consent of my sonne in law Mr John Crosyer shall thinke fitt to advance any sume of money not exceeding five hundred pounds for the settleing my said grandsonne John Lightfoot in any Office or employment That then and in such case the s[ai]d yearely payments of tenn pounds and fourty pounds for his life to cease ... And to my daughter Elizabeth and to John Lightfoot sonne of my sonne John I give to each of them six pounds to buy them mourning
PCC 167-168 Lloyd (1686) f. 255-256
http://interactive.ancestry.com/5111/40611_310592-00208/961202

The John Lightfoot in the fourth bequest was "sonne of my sonne John." Unless he died between 1679 and 1687, he was alive at the time of the Herald's Visitation.

London St Sepulchre parish registers (Ancestry.com) include these entries:

1, 1662[/3] Jan 19 A Stilborne daughter to Capt John Lightfoote buried
2. 1663[/4] Jan 28 Phillip Sonn to John Lightfoote Esqr. & Eliz: his wife baptized
3. 1686[/7] Jan 04 Mrs Elizabeth Lightfoot
4. 1688[/9] Mar 01 Phillip Lightfoot

http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=LMAearlyparish&gss=sfs28_ms_r_db&new=1&rank=1&gsln=Lyghtfoot&gsln_x=NP_NN_NS&msypn__ftp=St%20Sepulchre%2C%20Holborn%2C%20London&msypn__ftp_x=1&MSAV=1&uidh=ytm

It's significant that the father in the 1662[/3] entry is identified as 'Capt[ain],'as this helps us establish which John is being discussed. He also seems to be 'Esqr.' who had a son Phillip in 1663[/4]. RA identifies the 1686[/7] burial with the widow who left the PCC will discussed above. The dates do not align perfectly, however. She was buried almost two weeks after the will was proved, but perhaps the ground was too frozen to bury her immediately that winter. The 1688[/9] burial for Phillip Lightfoot might be the missing son of Captain John Lightfoot (c1627-1682), whom I understand, does not appear in extant Virginia records.

To RA, I can also add a marriage date and place for John Lightfoot to Elizabeth Philips, which Cates also mentions in a previous post, as well a child's baptism and burial:

London St Andrew Undershaft
1. 1626[/7] Jan 16 Mr John Lightfoote and Mris Elisabeth Philips were maried the 16th daie of Januarie 1626
http://interactive.ancestry.com/1624/31281_A101090-00106/5392047
2. 1627 Dec 09 John Lightfoote son of John Lightfoote and Elizabeth his wife, was christened the Ninth day of Dece[m]ber 1627
http://interactive.ancestry.com/1624/31281_A101090-00067/5393247
3. 1638 Nov 16 Elizabeth Lightfoot daughter of mr John Lightfoot was buried ye 16th of Novemb[e]r
http://interactive.ancestry.com/1624/31281_A101094-00157/5411149

The second entry is the baptism of Captain John Lightfoot, eldest son of John and Elizabeth (Philips) Lightfoot.

The Inhabitants of London in 1638 does not mention John Lightfoot.
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/no-series/london-inhabitants/1638

The baptism of the father John Lightfoot, is also now online:

London St Lawrence Pountney
1598 Apr 09 John son to Richard Lyghtfoot minist[e]r baptized
http://interactive.ancestry.com/1624/31281_A101825-00001
[I had to spell it Lyghtfoot in the search engine.]

Abstracts of apprenticeships of two of John and Elizabeth (Philips) Lightfoots sons, in the Mercer's Company, are now online:

1. 1648 Jul 28, Francis Lightfoote, son of John Lightfoote, Esq., of Gray’s Inn, Middlesex, apprenticed to Elisha Robins, 8 years, Co. Mercer.
http://londonroll.org/event/?company=mrc&event_id=MCEW961

2. 1658 Jul 09, Phillip Lightfoote, son of John Lightfoote Esq., dec’d, late of Gray’s Inn, Middlesex, apprenticed to Francis Lightfoote, 8 years, Co. Mercer. [Note by NWM: This is the Virginian; brother to Capt. John Lightfoot.]
http://londonroll.org/event/?company=mrc&event_id=MCEW966

The burial of grandfather Richard Lightfoot is also now online:

Stoke Bruerne, Northamptonshire
Richard Lightfoot, Rector and Parson of the Rectorie and p[ar]ish Church of Stokebrewerne, was buried Novemb[e]r 28 1625
http://interactive.ancestry.com/9198/100431011_00149/1438891

Y-chromosome markers of several Lightfoots are publicly available in 'The Light DNA Project: y-Results,' including someone purporting to be a descendant of 'Richard Lightfoot 1563-1625' (Kit 56889), but no pedigrees are attached to verify the descent.
http://www.worldfamilies.net/surnames/light/results

Nathan