Anne Stoughton, wife of Richard Glyd/ Glydd, a sister of Rose (Stougton) Otis?

ravinma...@yahoo.com

Jun 29, 2020, 3:39:58 PM6/29/20
Doug's _Magna Carta Ancestry_, in the account of immigrant Rose Stougton Otis's parents, Anthony Stoughton and Agnes Pierce, assigns Rose a sister "Ann (wife of Richard Glydd)."

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Magna_Carta_Ancestry_A_Study_in_Colonial/8JcbV309c5UC?hl=en&gbpv=1&bsq=pierce%20stoughton

What is the precise evidence for this daughter Anne who married Glyd or Glydd?

Richard and Anne (Stoughton) Glydd or Glyd are identified as the parents of a Member of Parliament, one John Glyd (ca. 1651-1689).

https://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1660-1690/member/glyd-john-1651-89

This HOP sketch states his mother was daughter of Anthony Stoughton, also M.P., but using the clickable link provided takes us to a different Anthony Stoughton, with the following C.V. --

"b. c.1587,1 1st s. of William Stoughton† of Worplesdon, Surr. and Elizabeth, da. of William Muschamp of East Horsley, Surr. and Kensington, Mdx.2 educ. Queen’s, Oxf. 1602, BA 1605; I. Temple 1605, called 1614.3 m. by 1618, Dorothy (d. 14 Sept. 1656), da. and h. of John Brett of Warwick and Kennington, Kent, 2s. 4da. (1 d.v.p.).4 suc. fa. 1612.5 d. 13 Aug. 1656.6"

https://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1604-1629/member/stoughton-anthony-1587-1656

So it looks like two Anthony Stoughtons have been confused or conflated by someone.

ravinma...@yahoo.com

Jun 29, 2020, 4:41:04 PM6/29/20
In Dec. 1695, "Anne Glyd" signed (? her consent to) "Stoughton's Estate Act," an act "for vesting the Estate late of Sir Nicholas Stoughton and Sir Lawrence Stoughton, Barts., deceased, in trustees" in order to pay debts and raise portions for the daughters of Sir Nicholas Stoughton.

https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_Manuscripts_of_the_House_of_Lords_16/M1RAAQAAMAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=%22anne+glyd%22&pg=PA119&printsec=frontcover

celticp...@gmail.com

Jun 29, 2020, 6:41:48 PM6/29/20
On Monday, June 29, 2020 at 2:41:04 PM UTC-6, ravinma...@yahoo.com wrote:
> In Dec. 1695, "Anne Glyd" signed (? her consent to) "Stoughton's Estate Act," an act "for vesting the Estate late of Sir Nicholas Stoughton and Sir Lawrence Stoughton, Barts., deceased, in trustees" in order to pay debts and raise portions for the daughters of Sir Nicholas Stoughton.
>
> https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_Manuscripts_of_the_House_of_Lords_16/M1RAAQAAMAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=%22anne+glyd%22&pg=PA119&printsec=frontcover

Dear John ~

I assume Anne Stoughton, wife of Richard Glydd, is the same person as the "Anne Glyd" who you found consenting in 1695 to the settlement of the estates of [her brother] Sir Nicholas Stoughton, and [her nephew] Lawrence Stoughton, Bart., in favor of Sir Nicholas's four daughters, namely Elizabeth (wife of Timothy Whitfield), Frances (wife of Charles Ventris), Henrietta, and Sarah Stoughton. For a record dated 1697 naming Sir Nicholas Stoughton, his son Lawrence, and his four daughters, see MSS of the House of Lords 1695–1697 n.s. 2 (1903): 530–531, which can be viewed at the following weblink:

https://books.google.com/books?id=yqsKAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA530

I take it this would be good evidence that Anne, wife of Richard Glydd, was in fact the sister of the New World immigrant, Rose Stoughton, wife of Richard Otis.

If so, it would appear that you're correct that House of Parliament book has confused two different Anthony Stoughtons, one of which was Anne Glydd's father, the other not.

JBrand

Jun 29, 2020, 10:06:51 PM6/29/20
That does seem to be the case, Doug. Is there some document stating Rose and Anne were sisters? There doesn't seem to be a great deal of info. on some of the Stoughton generations (specifically, Rose and Anne's father).

JBrand

Jun 29, 2020, 10:23:21 PM6/29/20
This page seems to quote Rose's brother's account of their father (from some source in the British Library):

"Att Ockham in Surrey where his sister Weston lived, he was married /on Febr. 10th A.D. 1628 [1629] to Agnes, a younger daughter of Robert /Purse of Perry Hill in Worplesdon, Surrey,

she being a daughter of his second wife & a tender /weakely woman & well beloved of her father & mother, & both a good natured & a /good Religious woman, by whom he had issue They had 2 sons (Lawrence; and Sir Nicholas BT) and 3 daughters (Rose, wife of Richard Otis; Ann, wife of Richard Glydd; and Margaret). After his wife died he was in penury and sent his children out to relatives. He sent his daughter Rose to New England in 1643. He was ensign to the Surrey Parliamentary Force under his brother Nicholas and Sir Richard Onslow. He contracted a chill which became pneumonia and died on 14 Jan 1644, in Wapping. My father was a tall proper man wth a red /bearde as I remember, somewhat hasty of disposition / as the Stoughtons usually have bin & are still, but one that truely feared God & set his face heaven wards, minde=/ing the best things, though was drawne aside when he was Apprentice, ..."

The part about sending Rose to New England seems to be in a more modern, standardized English.

See
https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Stoughton-53

JBrand

Jun 29, 2020, 10:35:32 PM6/29/20

P J Evans

Jun 29, 2020, 10:36:28 PM6/29/20
It's in the manuscript collection at the British Library:

Title: Collections relating to the family of Stoughton, formerly of Stoke, near Guildford, and to their possessions in Stoughton, Stoke, Guildford, and elsewhere in Surrey
Collection Area: Western Manuscripts
Reference: Add MS 6174
Creation Date: 1670-1676
Extent and Access:
Extent:
1 volume (30, 902 pages)
Access Conditions: Available for research unless otherwise stated:
Language: English
Contents and Scope:
Contents:
Collections relating to the family of Stoughton, formerly of Stoke, near Guildford, and to their possessions in Stoughton, Stoke, Guildford, and elsewhere in Surrey

Physical characteristics:
Folio

Notes:
This catalogue description has been transcribed from the original [18th-19th-century] handwritten Catalogue of Additional Manuscripts and may contain inaccuracies. The handwritten catalogue is available in the Manuscripts Reading Room.

Arrangement:
The first portion more particularly relating to the lands extends from pages 1-30, 1-194, and the second concerning the family, etc., occupies pages 451-825
History:
Custodial History:
Compiled by Sir Nicholas Stoughton, baronet, from ancient deeds and evidences in his possession. Presented to the British Museum in 1820 by William Bray, of Shene
Publications: Manning, Reverend Owen; Bray, William, The History and Antiquities of Surrey, volume I, (London, 1804)

JBrand

Jun 29, 2020, 10:42:33 PM6/29/20
It would still be nice to have the quote about the sending of the child to New England in the original spelling and punctuation ...

LMahler

Jun 30, 2020, 12:17:47 AM6/30/20
On Monday, June 29, 2020 at 1:41:04 PM UTC-7, ravinma...@yahoo.com wrote:
> In Dec. 1695, "Anne Glyd" signed (? her consent to) "Stoughton's Estate Act," an act "for vesting the Estate late of Sir Nicholas Stoughton and Sir Lawrence Stoughton, Barts., deceased, in trustees" in order to pay debts and raise portions for the daughters of Sir Nicholas Stoughton.
>
> https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_Manuscripts_of_the_House_of_Lords_16/M1RAAQAAMAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=%22anne+glyd%22&pg=PA119&printsec=frontcover

A descent from Anne Stoughton, wife of Richard Glydd was posted
back in 2018:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/soc.genealogy.medieval/2Bqrww_7DY8%5B51-75%5D

A pedigree of the Glydd family was recorded in the 1662 Heralds
Visitation for the County of Surrey:

https://www.familysearch.org/library/books/records/item/63806-a-visitation-of-the-county-of-surrey-begun-anno-dni-mdclxii-finished-anno-dni-mdclxviii?viewer=1&offset=0#page=65&viewer=picture&o=info&n=0&q=

Leslie

ravinma...@yahoo.com

Jun 30, 2020, 9:27:59 AM6/30/20
A Robert Purse of Worplesdon, Surrey, left a will of 1652. Possibly the father or brother of Anne/Agnes (Purse/ Peirce) Stoughton ...?

Will of Robert Purse, Gentleman of Worplesdon, Surrey

Prerogative Court of Canterbury and related Probate Jurisdictions: Will Registers. Name of Register: Bowyer Quire Numbers: 154 - 195. Will of Robert Purse, Gentleman of Worplesdon, Surrey.
Held by: The National Archives, Kew - Prerogative Court of Canterbury
Date: 28 September 1652
Reference: PROB 11/223/297
Subjects: Wills and probate

ravinma...@yahoo.com

Apr 27, 2021, 5:27:58 PM4/27/21
Just in case the death date of Anthony Stoughton, Rose's father, is still lacking, I point out the _Complete Baronetage_ by Cokayne, vol. 3, p. 154 ("Stoughton, _or_ Staughton" [created 1660/1]):

"NICHOLAS STAUGHTON (rectius Stoughton), of Staughton [i.e., Stoughton, in Stoke, by Guildford], co. Surrey, Esq." 2d but only surv. s. and h. of Anthony STOUGHTON, of the same, by Agnes, da. of Robert PEARSE (which Anthony, who d. 14 Jan. 1643/4, aged 46, was s. and h. of Sir Laurence STOUGHTON) ...

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Complete_Baronetage_English_Irish_and_Sc/FchKAQAAMAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=antony+stoughton+pierse&pg=PA154&printsec=frontcover